PDA

View Full Version : Learner licence a year in advance?

Romeo
14th July 2007, 01:04
Gidday guys,
I've been keen to get a bike since I was 5 or so, but circumstances have kept me in the wannabe pile for the last 15 years. Since I (hopefully) graduate at the end of this year (ICT degree) I'll be able to afford a bike in about a year to 18 months time.

So how practical would it be for me to somehow get my learners licence now (A year before it's needed)? Is there even any BHT places (In Christchurch) that will suply the bike, would I have to beg/steal/borrow or what? I could probably pinch the old mans lid and gear but there's no way I want to ride someone elses machine unless it's sanctioned by some generous insurance body ;s.

The goal being that when I eventually get a bike I'd be able to advance to the Restricted much quicker and be able to ride over the 70kph limit without the KIL[L]MENOW plate on - As I want to do some riding with the Pre-80's Jap classics group and touring with the old man.

EDIT: BTW, never ridden before but know the ins-and-outs.

Cheers,
Romeo

Drum
14th July 2007, 01:15
Gidday guys,
I've been keen to get a bike since I was 5 or so, but circumstances have kept me in the wannabe pile for the last 15 years. Since I (hopefully) graduate at the end of this year (ICT degree) I'll be able to afford a bike in about a year to 18 months time.

So how practical would it be for me to somehow get my learners licence now (A year before it's needed)? Is there even any BHT places (In Christchurch) that will suply the bike, would I have to beg/steal/borrow or what? I could probably pinch the old mans lid and gear but there's no way I want to ride someone elses machine unless it's sanctioned by some generous insurance body ;s.

The goal being that when I eventually get a bike I'd be able to advance to the Restricted much quicker and be able to ride over the 70kph limit without the KIL[L]MENOW plate on - As I want to do some riding with the Pre-80's Jap classics group and touring with the old man.

EDIT: BTW, never ridden before but know the ins-and-outs.

Cheers,
Romeo

I did my basic handling skills on a bike owned by the training school (GN125). This is pretty standard. Not too many learners have a bike before they can ride.

Can I say though: Theres' no hurry to get through the license classes mate. Take your time. Learn the ins and outs of a 250 first. It will bode you well in the long run. You've got plenty of riding years ahead. There's no need to rush through the system.

Romeo
14th July 2007, 01:24
I did my basic handling skills on a bike owned by the training school (GN125). This is pretty standard. Not too many learners have a bike before they can ride.
Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't quite sure how the system worked ;D!

Can I say though: Theres' no hurry to get through the license classes mate. Take your time. Learn the ins and outs of a 250 first. It will bode you well in the long run. You've got plenty of riding years ahead. There's no need to rush through the system.
I'm in no hurry to get through the system, it's just the difference between "Learner" and "Restricted" is nothing but laws which many people disregard for good reason (70kph and L Plate). I'm keen to do a few trackdays and a few of those advanced rider courses though - I've already read Keith Codes TotW and am half way through the other one suggested on here (dare I say it but it's enhanced my cage driving noticably ;s).

xwhatsit
14th July 2007, 02:48
I may be wrong here, as it was before my time, but didn't Colapop do something similar? Didn't he take so long to buy a bike he had full/restricted/something before he even chose his bike?

I think it's a bloody good idea. Just means you can practice up as soon as you get your bike, then sit your restricted after a month or less if you take to it quickly. You're right about the difference between restricted and learners -- mainly inconveniences that people disobey anyhow.

ZeroIndex
14th July 2007, 02:49
Hey man, good to hear you're finally gonna "give it a go"...

As Drum said, GN125's are normally available for a nominal fee along with your BHS, and they tend to supply an open face helmet too. I normally would recommend staying away from anything but a full-face, but for 20km/h and under, open face is good, plus you can hear and be heard by the instructor, plus visibility on your surroundings is improved.

As for the year in advance thing... I know a few people that have had their learners for 10+ years, but never rode bikes, and are only now starting to ride, so yeah, I'd recommend getting your L plate out of the way ASAP... Just try get in some practice here and there (just to be comfortable) on the bike latest 3-4 months after you get your learners, so when the 6 month mark comes up, you'll be ready to go do your restricted, cause once you get your restricted, there's a long wait (18months) until you can go for your full...

Delphinus
14th July 2007, 14:45
cause once you get your restricted, there's a long wait (18months) until you can go for your full...

Which of course can be reduced to 12 months if you do a Defensive Driving Course (Less if you're over 25).

fireliv
14th July 2007, 14:53
Hey ya

I did mine in Welly, before I owned a bike, but lucky for me Phoenix hadnt got rid of the FXR so I sat it on that. But the riding school supplied bike and gear at a cost, and for the test a GN is so the easiest thign to do it on. I reckon if you can afford to do it now you should cos like they say, all the quicker you can get your restricted! I brought Jessie a month later, and it was great to be able to get on her and start learning to ride instead of looking at her and wishing I could ride

ZeroIndex
14th July 2007, 21:03
Which of course can be reduced to 12 months if you do a Defensive Driving Course (Less if you're over 25).
Although from what I've seen/heard, that would be a waste of money...

Delphinus
14th July 2007, 21:27
Although from what I've seen/heard, that would be a waste of money...

Its completely and utterly useless. I did it for car... But to get the perks of a full you gotta jump through their hoops.

Boob Johnson
14th July 2007, 21:34
Id do it mate, I wish I had. Nothing to stop you from getting your licence early. Most bikes shops apparently have a 250 or less you can rent for a few hours.

McJim
14th July 2007, 23:58
I waited too long (35 years old) before getting my Learner bike licence.

Get it even if you don't need it. you can then borrow a bike to sit your restricted in 6 months. REMEMBER - YOU WILL ACTUALLY NEED TO BE ABLE TO RIDE THE BIKE WELL ENOUGH TO PASS! which would be quite a trick without at least a couple of weeks of practice.

Most litre bike riders in New Zealand haven't even got a bike licence though let alone restricted or full so why worry? :rofl:

Matt_TG
15th July 2007, 17:18
I got my learners for my bike in 1996, and sat the restricted this year, just recently sat my full. 11 years on a learners, lol, it won't expire if you keep your licence current.