PDA

View Full Version : You're a chick so you must ride a scooter

bert_is_evil
14th July 2007, 13:01
Why is it that guys who don't ride instantly assume when they find out you do that you must ride a scooter? It really gets my goat - am I justified or should I just get over it?

Get over it... how is your scoot anyways?

bert_is_evil
14th July 2007, 13:08
ha nice call

FROSTY
14th July 2007, 13:10
More important question Bert. Do you actually give a s@#@# what they think??

Holy Roller
14th July 2007, 13:13
Let it be a surprise when you pull up and remove your helmet:Punk:
Nuf said:yes::first:
Break those stereotypes:rockon:

bert_is_evil
14th July 2007, 13:14
I didn't think so, but perhaps working in a male dominated workplace makes me feel like I have to prove I'm not one of those silly girls from a 60's film who stands on a chair screaming when they see a mouse. lame, I should get over it and not give a shit

janno
14th July 2007, 13:24
Perhaps it's just the particular people you are around? I've never had someone assume I ride a scooter.

Though maybe it is because not many scooter riders wear the proper gear - in Brisbane, anyway. Work clothes (ie business skirts and trousers) and stillettos are the garb du jour over here for female scootopians.

Very rarely do you see a scoot rider with a decent protective jacket.

So in Brisbane it's pretty obvious that the women decked out in motorcycle gear ride . . . motorcycles. :innocent:

Anyway, I'd be inclined to say, "yes I ride a 50cc scooter, I'd be too scared to go bigger". And leave it at that.

Then let them see you leave work on your mighty steed. Or have a picture of your latest track day effort on your screen saver.

KATWYN
14th July 2007, 13:29
Why is it that guys who don't ride instantly assume when they find out you do that you must ride a scooter? It really gets my goat - am I justified or should I just get over it?

Scooters are just as butch as all the other types of motorcycles (i.e., a motor & two wheels and have to wear a helmet etc ) . I wouldn't worry about it Bert.....lol

Trudes
14th July 2007, 13:49
If we don't ride a scooter, then we must be the eye candy on the back of the boyfriend's/husband's bike......:angry:

oldrider
14th July 2007, 13:56

Yep, mind over matter! (if you don't mind, it doesn't matter) End of story! :yes: Cheers John.

007XX
14th July 2007, 13:56
yeah, it is annoying...but just like with any immature displays from the other gender, sanity must prevail, so:

Just ignore them...:yes:

You know who you are, don't let their narrow mindedness define you.:Punk:

Mental Trousers
14th July 2007, 14:03
I'm sure you'll look great on a scooter bert :scooter:

If anyone says you must ride a scoot challenge them to a drag race. They'll shit their pants when you rock up on the Ace.

Mekk
14th July 2007, 14:25
It can be summed up in one word:

Ignorance.

fireliv
14th July 2007, 14:45
Ma... dont let it get to ya.

I work around a lot of marcho guys that always assume that I ride a scooter... untill they walked out and saw me getting on my bike, now they know not to make that thay mistake again. I just think, haha I can ride a bike and you cant you ignorant toss!
:Punk:

imdying
14th July 2007, 15:04
Take it as a compliment that the first thing they think of when they see you with a helmet is a cute wee scooter, and not a butch man hating Harley :yes:

inlinefour
14th July 2007, 15:19

I think you might be tarring us all with the same brush. I've never assumed anything like that and I must say that alot of the women I know that ride also ride a bigger capacity bike than the CBR600RR that I had... :rockon:

bert_is_evil
14th July 2007, 16:29
I think you might be tarring us all with the same brush. I've never assumed anything like that and I must say that alot of the women I know that ride also ride a bigger capacity bike than the CBR600RR that I had... :rockon:

Not at all, I'm talking about guys who don't ride - guys who do rarely make that assumption

limbimtimwim
14th July 2007, 16:35
Balancing out the displeasure, don't you get get a bit of a smile out of telling them what you do ride?

bert_is_evil
14th July 2007, 16:38
hahaa kind of do yeah, but often they just stare blankly like you are speaking another language - kind of like I do when someone starts talking about their cage:confused:

babyblade250rr
14th July 2007, 16:39
Chicks and bikes rock:rockon: not only for that fact that there is no difference in riding ability between the male and female gender, But mannnnnnnnn a hot chick in tight leathers!!!! One up for the gals i say:yes:

limbimtimwim
14th July 2007, 16:43
Just say: "It does 0->100 in less than 3.5 seconds. It does about 250km/h. No, you can't have a ride because you thought I had a scooter, and there is no chance of sex at all."

That's pretty much all he needs to know.

inlinefour
14th July 2007, 16:50
Not at all, I'm talking about guys who don't ride - guys who do rarely make that assumption

Being a biker at heart I don't think along those lines. After my accident ACC brought me a car which would appear to fit into the boy racer scene. After a relatively short period amongst that croud I kinda know what you mean. Most of them are a bunch of pompass self opinionated gits. Even though I have to wait for my trike and can no longer ride on two wheels, I'd rather hang out with a bunch of bikers. Besides, I cannot even understand these boy/girl ricers, seems that they have developed some new shorthand pigeon Engrish, guess there ain't too many braincells driving them eh?

inlinefour
14th July 2007, 16:53
Just say: "It does 0->100 in less than 3.5 seconds. It does about 250km/h. No, you can't have a ride because you thought I had a scooter, and there is no chance of sex at all."

That's pretty much all he needs to know.

Good call there, guess the few braincells where only focused on one thing eh?

babyblade250rr
14th July 2007, 16:54
Being a biker at heart I don't think along those lines. After my accident ACC brought me a car which would appear to fit intot the boy racer scene. After a relatively short period amongst that croud I kinda know what you mean. Most of them are a bunch of pompass self opinionated gits. Even though I have to wait for my trike and can no longer ride on two wheels, I'd rather hang out with a bunch of bikers. Besides, I cannot even understand these boy/girl ricers, seems that they have developed some new shorthand pigeon Engrish, guess there ain't too many braincells driving them eh?

agreed! though my 5.4L V8 Xr8 has damaged some of my brain cells haha:Punk:

Little Miss Trouble
14th July 2007, 16:58
Yeah those assumtions can get annoying but on the other side hand I'm still getting a kick out of the looks on peoples faces when I take the helmet off :gob: and then the quick cover up, 'no I wasn't looking' look

Little kids are the coolest I love the way they haven't learn to hide the astonishment (and admiration?) yet:sunny:

limbimtimwim
14th July 2007, 17:03
Little kids are the coolest I love the way they haven't learn to hide the astonishment (and admiration?) yet:sunny:Wave to them, they love it. It's more fun when their parents hate it.

jrandom
14th July 2007, 17:09

There you go. Says it all, really. Just don't bother talking to the guys who don't ride.

:yes:

Little Miss Trouble
14th July 2007, 17:13
Wave to them, they love it. It's more fun when their parents hate it.

Oh yeah thats always extra funny :devil2:"Timmy,TIMMY get in the car NOW"

bert_is_evil
14th July 2007, 17:15
Oh yeah thats always extra funny :devil2:"Timmy,TIMMY get in the car NOW"

that would be the perfect time to pop a wheelie

Mr. Peanut
14th July 2007, 17:34
They don't like the idea that a woman is better at what is a traditionally male metier. So to save their ego they assume that you ride a (more effeminent) scooter.

A man with nothing to prove, and/or no ego to protect would ask what you ride!

But you knew that ^^,

helenoftroy
15th July 2007, 03:43
There are a few bike shops I have never returned to cause of the patronising comments Ive had when trying to get parts.Comments like "the mirror is for your scooter?" etc.

ZeroIndex
15th July 2007, 04:54
Perhaps it's just the particular people you are around? I've never had someone assume I ride a scooter.

Though maybe it is because not many scooter riders wear the proper gear - in Brisbane, anyway. Work clothes (ie business skirts and trousers) and stillettos are the garb du jour over here for female scootopians.

Very rarely do you see a scoot rider with a decent protective jacket.

So in Brisbane it's pretty obvious that the women decked out in motorcycle gear ride . . . motorcycles. :innocent:

Anyway, I'd be inclined to say, "yes I ride a 50cc scooter, I'd be too scared to go bigger". And leave it at that.

Then let them see you leave work on your mighty steed. Or have a picture of your latest track day effort on your screen saver.
+1 I like it

Little Miss Trouble
15th July 2007, 11:57
There are a few bike shops I have never returned to cause of the patronising comments Ive had when trying to get parts.Comments like "the mirror is for your scooter?" etc.

lol I got that when I first started looking too,
them "are you here to look at scooters?"
me "no, I wanna look at your full-fairing 250s"
Them " oh. well we have these naked 250s"
me "FULL-FAIRING"
them "oh. well we have this 88 _______ for $5795 + ORC"
me "mutter mutter over priced, thrashed piece of crap thanks anyway"

Stella
15th July 2007, 18:36
I remain amazed that when I say I ride a *motorcycle* they say scooter in the next line. Immediately. Almost Always. Either Gender.

Mutter mutter mutter.

Though one of the reasons I enjoy riding is it surprises people that I do.

Then I get pissed off when they say "oh, well you be careful now, won't you?"

Can't have it both ways I guess.

Bass
16th July 2007, 10:47
I didn't think so, but perhaps working in a male dominated workplace makes me feel like I have to prove I'm not one of those silly girls from a 60's film who stands on a chair screaming when they see a mouse. lame, I should get over it and not give a shit

I've been behind you on the track.
You don't have to prove anything.

vifferman
16th July 2007, 11:13
Or maybe you could just milk it a bit, or have some fun with it.
You don't have anything to prove - you probably just make them feel like wusses...

Roj
16th July 2007, 11:14
Then I get pissed off when they say "oh, well you be careful now, won't you?"

Can't have it both ways I guess.

Usually that is because they would be to scared to attempt to ride:scooter:

Insanity_rules
16th July 2007, 12:23

A thunderace is about as opposite to a scooter as it gets!

I'm teaching my wife to ride currently on my dear ol VTZ and her workmates almost died of a hearty when she told them she was learning to ride on something bigger than a lawnmower.

I say flaunt your bike in their faces and watch them suffer, its really funny.

Bloody Mad Woman (BMW)
16th July 2007, 12:38
Wave to them, they love it. It's more fun when their parents hate it.

I always wave at kids or answer their questions. And encourage them about the joys of riding.

It's not the assumption of "you ride a scooter" but "you ride a harley" to which I say I am a real rider. The harley comment I guess because I work in the "corporate" world. I say I love cornering - ya know, lowering that bike down as low as you can get it with the power on - going in a straight line does not interest me.

LOL could be said about my life - never kept on the straight and narrow. Some of the detours sure have been interesting and challenging lol.
Illness is keeping me very much on the straight and narrow at present and it is not something I WANT TO EVER get used to.

Sis
16th July 2007, 12:48
I had my bike parked right outside the office where I work with my co-workers. One "lad" from another part of the company came into our office one day. Didn't believe us when he was told that it was mine. Kept looking at the one and only male in the office. It is a standing joke amongst us.
It wasn't the first and wont be the last incident.
Relax and learn how to get a joke out of it. Good for a laugh.

007XX
16th July 2007, 12:52
I'd tend to be with Janno on this one...I've never really had anyone throw the scooter thing at me...or maybe i didn't notice cos I really don't give a flying pig's arse what anyone thinks of me...

I go to a few bike rallies (ie: Cold Duck and Cold Kiwi), and honnestly, all the guys I met there were always lovely about it...treating me like one of the boys, which is just the way I like it!:Punk:

Keystone19
16th July 2007, 13:12
Bahahahaha!!! Girlfriend - I've see you ride on the track too - and you've got nothing to prove!!!

Mostly I find it amusing when boys assume I ride a scooter or pillion. Drop a couple of things into conversation like 'I must pick up some new knee sliders while I'm here too' or as Janno said just take the piss: 'Yeah, do you sell those clips that hold your skirt together so people can't see yer kinckers while you're riding?'

Enjoy that individual feeling of superiority because you know you're good and they don't!

PS I know what you mean though...

sarahtvet
16th July 2007, 13:14
Take it as a compliment that the first thing they think of when they see you with a helmet is a cute wee scooter, and not a butch man hating Harley :yes:

For sure:yes:

When I was a skinny 18 yr old I was always decked out in lots of leather,wet weather gear and a balaclava to battle my way across Dartmoor in the rain and snow on my Honda CB100N. I was mortified when the guy at the petrol station called me sir before I took off my helmet:yes:

Didn't think I looked butch but for a fraction of a second thought a pink bike and high-heeled boots were required:nono:

He just needed more experience with recognising the female form was my take on it:yes:

007XX
16th July 2007, 13:22
Mostly I find it amusing when boys assume I ride a scooter or pillion. Drop a couple of things into conversation like 'I must pick up some new knee sliders while I'm here too' or as Janno said just take the piss: 'Yeah, do you sell those clips that hold your skirt together so people can't see yer kinckers while you're riding?'

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Very nice!

Nasty
16th July 2007, 13:49
I was mortified when the guy at the petrol station called me sir before I took off my helmet:yes::

Had a similar experience recently at Harvery Normans ... mentioned to the guy that assumptions suck cos you lose business that way and walked out :yes:

bert_is_evil
16th July 2007, 14:46
just take the piss: 'Yeah, do you sell those clips that hold your skirt together so people can't see yer kinckers while you're riding?'

Fantastic, I love it - gonna keep that one handy

bert_is_evil
16th July 2007, 14:49
I was mortified when the guy at the petrol station called me sir before I took off my helmet

That happened to me once so I said "madam actually" jokingly to the guy - he got so embarrassed he went on the defence and told me off for wearing my helmet inside :nono:. That'll teach me!

SDU
16th July 2007, 15:03
Don't let it worry you. What annoys me is people assume I must be on a little cruiser but I sniggar to myself having seen their supprised faces when they see what this hobbit is on.

Maha
16th July 2007, 15:19
That happened to me once so I said "madam actually" jokingly to the guy - he got so embarrassed he went on the defence and told me off for wearing my helmet inside :nono:. That'll teach me!

Waiting for Pink Hog Girl to arrive at fav' watering hole one sunday arvo, she finally turns on her pink sporty. Some of the bushwacking locals were looking at the bike and commenting on it as she pulled up, she got off, ( at this satge you can see she is a chick, men aint shaped that way) took off her helmet and all this blondeish hair bounced around and the one of the 7 digit locals said '' oh, its a chick''!!... Maha shakes his head....( #1 its a Pink Harley you wankers) bit of a give away really...:yes:

bounce
16th July 2007, 19:15

Don't worry about it they're probably just guessing safe. I used to have a scooter and people would see the helmet and ask what bike you ride? and it's 'yeah, um, I have a scooter.. it's really fast though!!' (not knocking the scooters of course!!:shutup:)

MotoGirl
16th July 2007, 19:57
My work had three men who rode scooters and me who rode a real bike. Every time someone new started, they'd see the helmets and automatically assume that I owned one of the scooters. Used to piss me right off!

MadDuck
17th July 2007, 12:38
Some of the bushwacking locals ........

Hmmm well that kinda sums it up dont it Mr Maha....I wount tell anyone there what you just called them.

Got a FXR as a loaner bike while the SV was getting serviced. The boys at work were going to lift it with the forkhoist onto a contanier....then decided against it. We are pretty scary us biker chicks I tell you :scooter:

Maha
17th July 2007, 16:35
Hmmm well that kinda sums it up dont it Mr Maha....I wount tell anyone there what you just called them.

And im hardly gonna stick my hand up and scream it out either....:shutup:

R6_kid
17th July 2007, 17:50

there is a lady i have seen on a couple of occasions, she's about 5ft something. I would have thought her to be riding a virago or something similar with a low seat height... her choice of bike - a Hayabusa. It just doesn't look right.

But then they do design most bikes for 50kg little asian people.

buellbabe
26th July 2007, 11:47
????????

What the ?

NEVER EVER has anyone assumed that about me...altho they are usually surprised that I ride a big thundering twin! My experience of non-riders has usually been that they are really curious and admiring, nothing wrong with that I say!

I reckon... so what if someone makes a stoopid assumption, just enjoy the astounded look on their face when they see what ya ARE riding... LOL

kiwifruit
26th July 2007, 11:51
i get it all the time... should see there faces when i jump on the zx10 and tootle off down the road, haha

Mekk
26th July 2007, 13:03
there is a lady i have seen on a couple of occasions, she's about 5ft something. I would have thought her to be riding a virago or something similar with a low seat height... her choice of bike - a Hayabusa. It just doesn't look right.

But then they do design most bikes for 50kg little asian people.

I think a Hayabusa is a damn nice choice of bike!

ambler
26th July 2007, 16:48
Well my wife is about 5'1"/42kg and gets asked for ID when buying wine at the supermarket. No doubt she will raise some eyebrows riding her SV1000 when we move back to NZ.

pixc
26th July 2007, 22:48
Since my mb accident in april Ive had countless appointments with loads of people. Eveytime they ask me how I came to get my injuries. I say motorbike accident. "Oh, were you riding a scooter?" to which I answered "NO", then the next comment is usually "Oh you were on the back, a pillion passenger?" I can laugh off the every now and then dumbass comments, but im not shitting you when I have to explain this to every one of the surgeons and their registars...all the acc people and all the different theripists. On average I see 2 new theripist/surgeons/docs a week.

avgas
26th July 2007, 23:17
Get over it - i just like the whole :
"Your too young to know anything"
"Guys have no concept of pain"
"Pay you more, why should i pay you more if you don't do more work?"
"Men can't organize"
Don't take it as an insult - the glove has been thrown down - take up the challenge.
Repeat after me:
"I have a Yamaha Thunderace, its a 1000cc sport bike with more horsepower than your car, and a quicker zero-to-100 than a supercar"
Its a nice way to say, sit down and shut the fuck up little man

blu
31st July 2007, 04:44
because they cant ride themselves i have lots of female friends who ride big blocks and keep up with the boys. a good mate even beat the boys at a meet in taupo sparks flying, the boys had to take there hat off to her in the end she was on a fatboy. we ride just as well as they can.

Draco
6th August 2007, 23:01

:kick::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I get this crap all the time. It used to really bug me, now I give em some witty remark or play along with em and leave em not realising they just got the :finger:
Leaves me in the best mood for the whole day!

McJim
6th August 2007, 23:08
Why is it that guys who don't ride instantly assume when they find out you do that you must ride a scooter?

I managed to last this long without posting this but I couldn't hold it in any longer....You're a chick so you must've binned a GSXR250 on the last corner before the start/finish straight at Taupo! :rofl:

bert_is_evil
16th August 2007, 17:09
I managed to last this long without posting this but I couldn't hold it in any longer....You're a chick so you must've binned a GSXR250 on the last corner before the start/finish straight at Taupo! :rofl:

I'm still waiting for that back tyre to grip

Kendog
16th August 2007, 17:32
I'm still waiting for that back tyre to grip

Your a chick, so it takes a long time to think of a suitable reply

p/t, sorry couldn't resist

bert_is_evil
17th August 2007, 10:52
I'll get back to you on that

ArcherWC
17th August 2007, 14:22
and on the grass at Taupo on the thou, lol

McJim
17th August 2007, 14:58
Ahhhh, there but for the grace of god go we. Pride cometh before a fall I shall say no more lest I bin my bike.

007XX
17th August 2007, 14:58
I managed to last this long without posting this but I couldn't hold it in any longer....

A very common male problem, unfortunately! Sorry to hear of your affliction! *bows her head in (semi)sincere sympathy* :lol:

Your a chick, so it takes a long time to think of a suitable reply

p/t, sorry couldn't resist

Yep, read above reply...:innocent:

McJim
17th August 2007, 15:00
A very common male problem, unfortunately! Sorry to hear of your affliction! *bows her head in (semi)sincere sympathy* :lol:

:

14th July until 6th August is not a bad effort. 2 questions then.

1/ How long do you expect a man to hold it in for?
2/ How do you manage to pee straight?

007XX
17th August 2007, 15:18
14th July until 6th August is not a bad effort. 2 questions then.

1/ How long do you expect a man to hold it in for?
2/ How do you manage to pee straight?

:laugh: haven't been on this thread for a while...too busy talking about bikes, boobs and arses! :innocent:

1/I have no expectations...but let's just say I see my hubby as a freakin legend:love: Besides, a true gentleman know to come last, right?

2/ Aim for the fly on the wall??? (was that a trick question?)

ManDownUnder
17th August 2007, 15:44

Entirely justified. Make a point of letting them know who you are as you go roaring past them...

bert_is_evil
18th August 2007, 14:19
and on the grass at Taupo on the thou, lol

lesson learned there: grass + ace + handful of throttle = bucking bronco

gypsy
2nd September 2007, 21:30

Ha Ha, I have a Harley FXRS an I call my bike the scooter. Never had any one assume I ride a real scooter, have had the odd comment from guys that dikes ride bikes, but they are assholes an i bet they wouldnt say that in front of my husband. Wouldnt worry what any one thinks tho.

mstriumph
10th September 2007, 15:19

me too - working in a predominantly blue-collar environment with just me and 100 blokes .....

it's temping for others to say "just get over it and don't bother about what they think", but the reality is that, if you let it go, it could well encourage more of the same to the point where it gets in the way of getting the job done .....

so, not only do you have to prove that you are not some kind of stereotypical 'girly-girl', you have to go ON proving it ............'though, luckily, not stridently once you have established your intial position :innocent:

for what it's worth, i don't believe this sort of derogatory workplace-stereotyping is a sexist thing ...... i believe it's a perceived weakness thing -

luckily for us we have the resources to disabuse them of the notion :wari:

Lula
11th September 2007, 17:04
I'm slowly proving them wrong (assuming we are all scooter riders), I was the only girl to enter the burnout comp at ColdKiwi. It was my first burnout ever and got the cheers but still heard get your top off.

oldrider
11th September 2007, 17:34
I'm slowly proving them wrong (assuming we are all scooter riders), I was the only girl to enter the burnout comp at ColdKiwi. It was my first burnout ever and got the cheers but still heard get your top off.

Well? Did yah? :blip: John.

McJim
11th September 2007, 17:52
Seems to be two themes popping up on this thread.

1/ Girls ride ickle bikes (scooters) or
2/ Girls on bikes are lesbian.

So maybe the retort should be along the lines of "Why? aren't you man enough to handle a bike?" I wouldn't make an accusation of being homosexual coz I don't personally think that's offensive - I know some bloody decent gay blokes.

mstriumph
11th September 2007, 18:53
Well? Did yah? :blip: John.

tsk tsk :no: