PDA

View Full Version : Speeding bikers face new cameras

Bob
24th September 2004, 00:16
Police in North Yorkshire are using new camera technology. The Autovision system not only records the speed and number plate of the motorbike but also takes an image of the rider's face.

Officers say this means there can be no dispute over who was riding a speeding motorcycle.

Using Autovision means that a second officer is not needed at speed check points to stop offenders. The camera records what the officer sees and stores it on a mini-computer.

StoneChucker
24th September 2004, 00:21
How does it take a picture of the riders face? Do you mean helmet? And, if it gets the number plate, then there must be a second camera for the face shot (two different angels)?

I'll remember to wear my poker face if I'm riding Yorkshire :blink:

Bob
24th September 2004, 00:53
How does it take a picture of the riders face? Do you mean helmet? And, if it gets the number plate, then there must be a second camera for the face shot (two different angles)?

I'll remember to wear my poker face if I'm riding Yorkshire :blink:

Looking at the following photo:

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40101000/jpg/_40101798_autovision_body.jpg

It looks like the camera can be aimed at the face and then flipped round to get the licence plate.

Of course, this would assume the officer is pretty sharp with his camera work.

Unless there is a second camera unit facing the other way, that is not shown in the above photo?

No idea of the quality of the camera lens/data storage equipment, but it is fair to assume that it is digitally recorded. If it is a good enough digital image, then it may well be possible for the police to get a legally acceptible image of your face through your visor (a top quality image should be easy enough to zoom into and enhance until the face shows through the visor).

The key thing for me is that information is instantly downloaded onto a mini-computer, so there is no chance of denial (assuming the data is stored in a way that means it cannot be externally amended or altered in any way).

bluninja
24th September 2004, 01:42
Guess it's time to start wearing sunglasses and a silk balaclava under the helmet...after all it is getting cold and the sunstrike from the low sun :msn-wink:

NordieBoy
24th September 2004, 07:51
Sounds like they've just replaced the word "car" with "motorcycle" without thinking it over properly.

A telling point is the sample pic is of a car not a bike.
It would work nicely with cages but bikes?
You're not going to get a recognisable pic of someones face inside a helmet.
Eyes, nose and that's about it.
Sunnies will stuff it up or even wearing an MX helmet with goggles where you can see the eyes and nothing else.

Not to mention those nasty illegal tinted visors.

Bob
24th September 2004, 20:08
When I spotted the original article, I have to say I thought "What?"

The caption under the photo read 'The system can be used on cars as well'.

Personally, I think (and I'm guilty of passing this on) the authorities put out a carefully worded press release. This weekend is the Gold Cup racing on the road circuit at Oliver's Mount, Scaborough - so there will be a lot of bikers heading up there.

So this twist on the press release gets reported in a couple of the usual news sources I use... and then I pass it on to the rest of you!

So I suppose I'm guilty of falling into the trap of being used by a press release (very sloppy of me - I used to WRITE press releases for the World Endurance Championship!)

As you say though - sunglasses will mess up the whole concept. But if you're snapped wearing an illegal visor? OK, they couldn't see your face, but they'll radio a squad car to pick you up... so I don't recommend trying the latter...

Bob
25th September 2004, 00:34
Just been doing some more reading up on this.

The whole thing is quite amusing, once you find out some more.

Yorkshire police were really excited, as you could get a photo of the riders face and numberplate... and put out the press release, which I saw an commented upon.

Just one problem... the numberplate they were looking to snap was the FRONT numberplate! The one that hasn't been on motorbikes in the UK since 1975!

So anyone going to Scarborough - the local plod haven't got a clue, but they'll probably be cracking down ever harder on any offences just to cover up the embarassment!