PDA

View Full Version : I'm really cross , grrrrr

judecatmad
16th July 2007, 20:38
At the weekend we were driving along through the outer edges of Lower Hutt and we saw a bike for sale at the side of the road.

Dave took it for a test ride and loved it. The guy said there was someone else coming to test ride it half an hour later and it was first in, first sold. Not much we could do so we said if the guy didn't turn up with cash there and then, we'd take the bike. He took Dave's details and we took his. The bike needed a warrant, but the guy was happy to get one on the Monday.

Anyhow, yesteray Dave called him up first thing to offer a deposit, cos we really wanted it. The guy said that wasn't necessary he was happy to hold it for us, said he'd sort a warrant out today and let us have it tonight.

Then today we find out that he's gone and sold it to the guy that test rode it after us on Saturday cos he turned up this morning with cash :angry2:

Barsteward.

Gutted :crybaby:

The most annoying thing is, he didn't even let us know - we had to call him to find out that he'd let it go :mad:

Why would you do that? I know I wouldn't. If he'd told us he'd decided to sell it to the other guy, we'd have accepted that and moved on. But we had our hopes up all yesterday and all today cos he'd said he'd keep it for us. We'd already shown how interested we were by offering a deposit. We couldn't get the full amount until we could get to the bank, and unfortunately we work. That means that no, on a week day we're not going to be able to turn up at the crack of dawn with cash in hand. We'd already said it would be Monday night before we could get the cash to him - not a problem apparently. Why can't people just be honest and up-front?

Can ya tell I'm really cross?!! I'm just gutted for Dave - he totally fell in love with the bike and it was a price we could afford. With baby on the way, there's not a lot of spare moolah floating around. This would have given him a safer, nicer, comfier bike to ride to work every day.

WarlockNZ
16th July 2007, 20:43
just one thing to say ..... Bastard !!!

FROSTY
16th July 2007, 20:43
In your shoes I'd have insisted on putting the deposit down.
I've had the shoe on the other foot so many times I have the attitude BS walks money talks
Still sucks I know
Ohh say--what was the bike??

kneescraper
16th July 2007, 20:45
This really sucks Jude...a verbal agreement is as good as the paper its written on though. I feel for ya Jude...your man must be pretty upset too!

apteryx_haasti
16th July 2007, 20:46
Awww, suck one Jude. That sounds like it would have been a good deal for you guys.

Poop. Sorry the guy wasn't up front with y'all.

A_H

judecatmad
16th July 2007, 20:47
just one thing to say ..... Bastard !!!

LOL, my thoughts exactly!

Dave's so much more level-headed (good god, of course he is, I'm a hormone-filled pregnant woman who's hating every minute of it - the Grinch has got nothing on me at the mo! LOL) - he keeps telling me to let it go, the guy had a right to sell his bike to whoever he wanted to sell it to.

And he did have every right, of course, it's just the selling it from under our collective nose when he'd said it was ours that makes me see red!

Out of the 2 of us, Dave should be the one with the temper - after all, he was a red-headed kid (and yes, that IS bothering me.....!). But no, he's the placid one!

Fat Tony
16th July 2007, 20:49
What a shitty thing to do! :nono: I hope something else suitable turns up soon for you.

Colapop
16th July 2007, 20:53
It is a shitty thing to do... but.. it was his bike to sell as he's sees fit... He's still a bastard...

judecatmad
16th July 2007, 20:53
I've had the shoe on the other foot so many times I have the attitude BS walks money talks
Still sucks I know
Ohh say--what was the bike??

And that's why we offered the deposit - to let him know we were serious. But what can you do when the person says, no, there's no need? You can hardly force it on them.

Was a lovely blue Kawasaki EX4 - BLUE I say, BLUUUUUUUE, a BLUUUUUE KWAKA *sigh* :crybaby:

I'd even got Dave to agree to let me take it to the end of our street and back when we brought it home - just to see what it felt like. I was SOOOOOO close! :crybaby:

T-Thunder13
16th July 2007, 20:57
every thing happens for a reason. lets just say it was probably a piece of shit. lucky you didnt get it. (might have been the bike that killed the father of your child)........... i dont know, think differently

jonbuoy
16th July 2007, 21:00
Selling a bike is a pain in the arse as is selling anything, the amount of times I've had people say yeah I'm dead keen don't sell it I just need to go to the bank to get cash out tomorrow and I'll be back. Even shook hands on a deal in the past after bartering and never heard from them again. If someone turns up with the cash in their hands its pretty hard to turn down.

judecatmad
What a shitty thing to do! :nono: I hope something else suitable turns up soon for you.

Yeah, me too. Dave's ginny is in much better shape than when we bought it. He's put a load of work into it. Actually sounds really good now - not like a ginny at all, and for a 1987 it runs great. But it's still a ginny and I'd like to see him on something a bit bigger with a bit more to give.

We'll keep our eyes open. We just don't have an awful lot spare, and the closer it gets to me stopping work, the less chance there is of us being able to find the spare to upgrade him. Was just perfect.

Ah well, wasn't meant to be, clearly :)

Feel better now I've got it off my chest! Thanks for the therapy guys!

675trippy
Still sucks I know

yeah tend to agree you seem to get plenty saying but stuff all paying tough luck though

judecatmad
16th July 2007, 21:05
Selling a bike is a pain in the arse as is selling anything, the amount of times I've had people say yeah I'm dead keen don't sell it I just need to go to the bank to get cash out tomorrow and I'll be back. Even shook hands on a deal in the past after bartering and never heard from them again. If someone turns up with the cash in their hands its pretty hard to turn down.

That's why we offered the deposit. If we'd not offered, I could understand him taking that line, but we did and he said no, it was OK, the bike was ours.

But it's all good now, I'm calm again (until the next hormone-fuelled rage.....LOL) *breathes deeply*

Colapop
16th July 2007, 21:09
Jeez girl!! You're behaving like a crazy pregnant chick!!

judecatmad
16th July 2007, 21:13
Jeez girl!! You're behaving like a crazy pregnant chick!!

Funny that.....

;)

I tell you, I could go up against the most testosterone-pumped gym junkie at the moment and come out a winner!! This kid is driving me nuts. I'm already trying to find people to farm it out to - any takers?? The only condition is you have to take it for year-long slots. I'm going to be a dreadful parent :(

Colapop
16th July 2007, 21:15
I'll have it... is it like fostering a guide dog puppy?

judecatmad
16th July 2007, 21:18
I'll have it... is it like fostering a guide dog puppy?

Yeah, kind of......I guess. Hell, what would I know? I've only ever had cats!!! Don't know dogs, don't know kids - this is THE most terrifying thing I've ever done!! Getting on the bike for the first time - a breeze compared to the bigness of this!!!

I guess that's why I'm trying to take the world on - to give me something else to be scared of!

Pancakes
16th July 2007, 21:25
Nah you'll be a great Mum & Dad, :love: the ones that don't worry about it are crap ones (unless they're up to #5!!) Good to be thinking and planning. Remember, they start small and slow for a reason!

Do we need a "Parents who used to ride but are cleaning up poo's now" forum? I'm there! Funnily enough my kids are what made my wife (!!) say I should get a bike. Weird world.

Colapop
16th July 2007, 21:27
Yeah, kind of......I guess. Hell, what would I know? I've only ever had cats!!! Don't know dogs, don't know kids - this is THE most terrifying thing I've ever done!! Getting on the bike for the first time - a breeze compared to the bigness of this!!!

I guess that's why I'm trying to take the world on - to give me something else to be scared of!
O come on! You're scared of making a lifetime commitment??!!?? You got cats didn't ya??

Deviant Esq
16th July 2007, 21:32
I'm going to be a dreadful parent :(
What utter bollocks! Don't let me hear such tripe outta you again Jude, you're better than that! Come on, you love cats, don't you? You'll be a great Mum, no doubt about it. It's totally normal to be overly emotional while you're carrying, so don't worry, relax... It sounds odd, but enjoy it. It's a special time coming right up! ;)

Pity about the bike, it did sound like the right bike for you. I can see both sides of the story. He promised you the bike but didn't have any cash in his hot little hand... the allure of cash being waved under your nose is strong when you've got nout but a promise - I usually ask for a deposit before promising anyone anything. Still sucks for you guys though! Still, never mind, something else will come up that's just as good, if not better. Stay positive Jude. :niceone:

judecatmad
16th July 2007, 21:43
O come on! You're scared of making a lifetime commitment??!!?? You got cats didn't ya??

Not at all mate - I got married didn't I?! (aw, I so old fashioned!) And indeed I have cats - but they don't answer back and have tantrums in the supermarket (I've managed to get Dave out of both of those bad habits...LOL).

I love tiny wee babies, when all they can do is gurgle and poop - as soon as they start to walk and talk and think for themselves...THAT'S when I get scared and want to hide behind the sofa!!!

And of course, not getting paid at all for 12 months is scaring the cr@p out of me (PLEASE don't anyone tell me how the govt will pay me for 14 weeks - by the time they've taken 39% tax off it, they may as well slap me in the face with a wet fish for all it's worth!). Work are being @rseholes about allowing me back part-time in the early months :mad:

Ah look, there I go again - picking another fight!

Colapop
16th July 2007, 21:48
Nah - it's good when they start walking and talking... it's when they start bringing home their stray friends and girlfriends/boyfriends that it gets.... 'interesting'....

judecatmad
16th July 2007, 21:53
Nah - it's good when they start walking and talking... it's when they start bringing home their stray friends and girlfriends/boyfriends that it gets.... 'interesting'....

Nah, got that one sorted - they're out at 17 (I was angling for 16, but Dave said I was being too harsh and should give them til at least 18 - so I compromised and went half-way). But if they're still at home at 17, they're in school - or they have a job and they're paying rent!

:rofl:

I was a late starter as far as boyfriends go, so if I bring this one up the way I was brought up, he/she will be LOOONG gone from my roof by the time all that nonsense starts!

And oh, I'm praying for a boy - I couldn't handle me as a teenager all over again!!!!!

See....BAD parent!!!

fireliv
16th July 2007, 21:54
That sucks the big one. Nothing live falling for the bike just to have it snatched away from you like that! Ass.......... hope you find a new one thats better and cheaper........ I guess it just wasnt meant to be

janno
17th July 2007, 09:10
Yeah, that doesn't sound like much fun after getting your hopes up.

Like you say, the problem is not that the guy sold it to someone else, but that he couldn't be stuffed ringing you.

If I was the seller, bearing in mind that a sale is no sale without the money in my hot little hand, I would have rung you when the other guy got in contact to let you know that the other buyer had turned up, thereby giving you the chance to either leave work for an hour and race out and buy the bike, or else put a deposit in my account.

The guy was dumb as well as rude, you might well have offered him $100 - 200 more to clinch the deal! (I would have if the bike was THE one!).

judecatmad
17th July 2007, 09:16
you might well have offered him $100 - 200 more to clinch the deal! (I would have if the bike was THE one!).

And indeed we would! But like everyone's saying - it probably didn't happen for a reason (that's right Jude, keep telling yourself that, it'll keep the murderous thoughts at bay...LOL)

:D :D :D

007XX
17th July 2007, 09:36
And indeed we would! But like everyone's saying - it probably didn't happen for a reason (that's right Jude, keep telling yourself that, it'll keep the murderous thoughts at bay...LOL)

:D :D :D

:laugh::laugh::laugh:Oh Dear...you're preggie allright!!:yes: *you got ALL my sympathy...truly! Been there, done that* Why do you think I bought a punching bag 10 years ago???:innocent:

Anyways, what goes around, comes around... that dude will soon have warts and ingrown hair growing in some very uncomfortable places!

smoky
17th July 2007, 09:52
hey whats going on here - one minute we're talking about a dick who didn't keep his word, then suddenly we're contemplating your pending parenthood.

My wife was freakin out big time - she was convinced she would be a crap mum, but - what do ya know, shes a natural. the frst 6 - 8 weeks is the hardest of your life, then it just gets better and better.

Now back to the bike for sale story; I had that happen to me once, I found a nice 318 V8 regal Coupe Vallytank on a car yard. He wouldn't give me what I needed on a trade for my Falcon - so I told him I'd be back in the morning with the cash, left a deposit and he was putting it in for a WOF (I had a mate who wanted my Falcon). Went back in the morning - car had been sold, they gave me back my deposit - but I had no car, so I went purchased a brand new TT500.

You can either live your life 'striking while the irons hot' or take a more reserved view and 'never buy in haste' - both views have their drawbacks and advantages. Choose one and take the tumbles with the wins, thats what I think anyway.
I bought a bike last year, now $1000 worth of repairs later I'm selling it for less than I paid! Looser.

judecatmad
17th July 2007, 10:07
hey whats going on here - one minute we're talking about a dick who didn't keep his word, then suddenly we're contemplating your pending parenthood.

Hey, the thread goes where it goes - not bothered if it stays on track or not. Posted my frustrations for a bit of free therapy! :D

You can either live your life 'striking while the irons hot' or take a more reserved view and 'never buy in haste' - both views have their drawbacks and advantages. Choose one and take the tumbles with the wins, thats what I think anyway.
I bought a bike last year, now $1000 worth of repairs later I'm selling it for less than I paid! Looser.

Totally agree - but we couldn't get the money he needed over the weekend even if we had wanted to buy the bike without doing a background check. ATMs only allow you a limited amount per day, and we couldn't withdraw what he was asking until the Monday. Is why we offered a deposit to secure the sale.

ManDownUnder
17th July 2007, 10:21
Hey JCM.

What was the bike... make mileage and price? Who knows we might be able to find another for ya... (or Dave)

007XX
17th July 2007, 10:25
Hey JCM.

What was the bike... make mileage and price? Who knows we might be able to find another for ya... (or Dave)

Check out page 2 (you half reader...).I believe Jude answered this question there:innocent:

smoky
17th July 2007, 12:25
Totally agree - but we couldn't get the money he needed over the weekend..... ATMs only allow you a limited amount per day, and we couldn't withdraw what he was asking until the Monday.....

I guess thats the real issue (apart from people who's word is useless) is how difficult it is get your hands on our own money sometimes.

Nasase
17th July 2007, 17:01
Sounds like he was just keeping his options open, hence the no deposit. Perhaps he had been mucked around previous.

Zapf
17th July 2007, 23:11
The same thing happened to me with me buying my first bike. We agreed over the phone that I'll buy it, and they said no deposit was required. An hour later, I was in AMPS looking at riding gear and talking to some other customer. They said they just bought a VTR250, only to find out it was from the same seller.

So yes in effect they sold the bike when I had agreed to buy it.!!! GERRR! For the record a Honda dealer @ Takapuna was involved.

crazybigal
18th July 2007, 00:10
was a bit of a shitty thing to do to you but you have look at it from his point of view and ive been in the same situation. how many times have you tried to seel a bike or a car and a bunch of people come look at it and say "yeah ill buy it , ill come get it tomorrow with cash" and never turn up! you call them and they say "oh sorry i got a deal on another one"! so you have turned away others who wanted it because someone said they would buy it.
deposit, fair enough, he was a dick for not taking yours.
what was the bike anyway?

judecatmad
18th July 2007, 08:28
Hey JCM.

what was the bike anyway?

Was a Kawasaki EX4, 1995, miles on the clock were 4000-and-some but it had gone around the clock once. Was asking just $2000 for it which was why we were so keen, cos we'd get almost half of that by selling Dave's ginny.

Oh well - we'll see if anything else comes up in the next couple of months. If not, Dave's stuck on the ginny until I'm back at work, mid 2008!

NZsarge
18th July 2007, 08:40
Yea....thats shitty all right.:( Very frustrating when people can't stick to what they say they are going to do in instances like that.

MSTRS
18th July 2007, 10:31
Was a Kawasaki EX4, 1995, miles on the clock were 4000-and-some but it had gone around the clock once. Was asking just $2000 for it which was why we were so keen, cos we'd get almost half of that by selling Dave's ginny.

Oh well - we'll see if anything else comes up in the next couple of months. If not, Dave's stuck on the ginny until I'm back at work, mid 2008!

That's not cheap. We didn't pay much more for YTs EX5 @66k

Roj
18th July 2007, 12:09
Nah you'll be a great Mum & Dad, :love: the ones that don't worry about it are crap ones (unless they're up to #5!!) Good to be thinking and planning. Remember, they start small and slow for a reason!

Do we need a "Parents who used to ride but are cleaning up poo's now" forum? I'm there! Funnily enough my kids are what made my wife (!!) say I should get a bike. Weird world.

That would be a gem of a wife:gob:

Roj
18th July 2007, 12:15

bit modern for my taste, how about a 1979 Honda CB750 k? near original condition:scooter:

avgas
18th July 2007, 12:18
been there and did that when buying the misses bike.
this slag sold it to another person after she said that it was ours when it came out of the shop. I offered her all the money in full 5 days before it came out of the shop. She said no, it wasn't needed. Then she sells it to someone else and they pick it up soon as it leaves the shop doors. She didn't even call me.
Slag

Insanity_rules
18th July 2007, 13:21
Shall we go round with a pose of welly KBers Jude? No seriously I feel for ya, that blows and sux!