PDA

View Full Version : Life after the 250.....

marc34
17th July 2007, 09:01
Hi guys & girls,

my time on the 250cc machine is nearing an end, this is a good thing, very happy times, there is one problem though, i am unsure of the next step to take i.e. what size/type of bike would best suit the next level.

Hopefully some of you have some recommendations/suggestions on what bikes to look out for from your vast experience.

I am a big guy so need something to haul my overweight ass around the place

appreciate any help

Drum
17th July 2007, 09:14
Go above 500cc (i.e 600, 750 +). Anything less and you will want to upgrade again in 6 months.

If you get a second hand bike, make sure it is something that parts are easily available for. This can be checked by going into a dealers and asking 'how long would it take to get a widget for a {insert bike name}'. There's nothing more annoying than waiting weeks on end for a $50 part to arrive from Japan.

MSTRS
17th July 2007, 09:37
Narrow down the options by telling us what sort of riding you want to do....

marc34
17th July 2007, 09:43
i will be using the bike for my daily commute, this is a trip of around 30km so not a huge distance, but i want to be able to go for longer rides, at a decent click on the weekends.

i suppose my major concern is that i will get a bike that i cant handle, for example, I love the sports bikes e.g. GSXR's CBR's R1's etc but would that be too much of a step up?

In terms of styling, full fairing sports/tourer looks are what i am after

Trudes
17th July 2007, 09:44
Hi there, here's the perfect bike for you!!! http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=52411
For once I'm being serious, why not take a look at Sean's bike...?!!
It'd be a good step up, although not full fairing, sprotsbike, will be a good next step.

vifferman
17th July 2007, 09:49
I need something to haul my overweight ass around the place

A horse float, perhaps? :confused:

Toaster
17th July 2007, 09:51
Go try out a whole lot of bikes to get a feel for size and fit. Comfort is really important on longer rides.

If you haven't been riding a 250 long, I would recommend caution if buying a high HP super sports bike of the 1000cc level.

Maybe something like a VFR800 or GSXR750 suits you?

marc34
17th July 2007, 09:56
A horse float, perhaps? :confused:

you might be onto something there

marc34
17th July 2007, 09:59
Go try out a whole lot of bikes to get a feel for size and fit. Comfort is really important on longer rides.

If you haven't been riding a 250 long, I would recommend caution if buying a high HP super sports bike of the 1000cc level.

I have looked at the VFR as a serious option, your suggestion of riding heaps of bikes sounds like the best plan of attack, thanks

MSTRS
17th July 2007, 10:01
In terms of styling, full fairing sports/tourer looks are what i am after

Are there such animals anymore? An RF600 or GSX600F would be perfect, but they are a bit older and I think their modern equivalents (Hornet, Bandit etc) are all nakeds.

marc34
17th July 2007, 10:01
Hi there, here's the perfect bike for you!!! http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=52411
It'd be a good step up, although not full fairing, sprotsbike, will be a good next step.

Thats actually a very nice bike, i hadn't considered one of these but might have to throw it in the mix, thanks for that :yes:

MSTRS
17th July 2007, 10:03

The 750 is not 'high hp'?? At 140-odd I beg to differ.

marc34
17th July 2007, 10:06
140HP??? haha, my current bike has about 30 i think!!

Toaster
17th July 2007, 10:08
The 750 is not 'high hp'?? At 140-odd I beg to differ.

High-ish... it's all relative to what it is being compared to.

In comparison to the VTR1000 then yes....

... next to the 1000cc GSXR it was still quick and more flickable, but the thou' was just that much more angry. Hence the recommendation to go for something a little more easily ridable for a newer rider.

Toaster
17th July 2007, 10:10
140HP??? haha, my current bike has about 30 i think!!

I think my legs on my bicycle had more HP than that!!

marc34
17th July 2007, 10:11
I think my legs on my bicycle had more HP than that!!

yep, you can probably understand the urgency for an upgrade then!

Deviant Esq
17th July 2007, 10:28
Having been on one there's no way I'd recommend a late model GSXR750 as a step up from what you have currently... way too much grunt, way too quick.

Considered a CBR600F? Good all around bike. Or an SV650S? They're a good step up bike too I'm told, although as has been mentioned it's a good idea to test ride as many bikes as you can to get a feel for what you like, before getting a model ingrained in your mind. Skelstar's CB900 Hornet would be an excellent upgrade bike too, if you decide to go with a naked.

MSTRS
17th July 2007, 10:29
SV650 would be a nice step. They come both naked and (semi)faired

imdying
17th July 2007, 10:42

I'm not sure a bike with a retuned fireblade motor is the most suitable in this situation.

Trudes
17th July 2007, 10:43
I'm not sure a bike with a retuned fireblade motor is the most suitable in this situation.

Not being bitchy... just curious, why?

skelstar
17th July 2007, 10:53

Ridden one? I went from a 27HP Hyosung to this and while it has a lot of balls, I have never had a scary HP related moment.

imdying
17th July 2007, 10:58
Because he's coming from a 250cc dirt bike.

bert_is_evil
17th July 2007, 11:05
I went from a 250cc to a 1000cc bike - it's all a matter of self discipline really, if you feel that you can exercise a bit of control then I reckon Skels bike would be perfect. It's been said already but if you go for something just slightly larger you'll be wanting to upgrade in no time.

Trudes
17th July 2007, 11:06
hehe, and I went straight from a GN 250 to my Hornet, and haven't had any serious sphincter clenching moments either.

marc34
17th July 2007, 11:07
I am confident of being able to handle anything that doest want to "leap" off the ground when i take off, more of a smooth gradual power delivery should be manageable, is the CB900 in this category??

imdying
17th July 2007, 11:09
I went from a 250 to a 500 V4 2 stroke, and I'm still here... Unless you know the guy and how he rides and what his experience it is, I don't see how suggesting a 900cc sports bike is in his best interests. I realise you've got a barrow to push, and that the Hornet has been on the market for a while, but new riders come here for help, and that should be the priority.

limbimtimwim
17th July 2007, 11:10
I'm not sure a bike with a retuned fireblade motor is the most suitable in this situation.Retuned? More like strangled. The 919 hornet is a good machine get after a 250. The engine isn't weak, but it's not manic either.

imdying
17th July 2007, 11:11
I am confident of being able to handle anything that doest want to "leap" off the ground when i take off, more of a smooth gradual power delivery should be manageable, is the CB900 in this category??Find a bike shop and take one for a test ride, if nothing else they're disgustingly cheap brand new :yes: Not many bikes are evil unmanageable beasts, but some people have better throttle control (and self restraint!) than others. After a few laps around a route you know, you'll be able to answer that question for yourself :yes:

imdying
17th July 2007, 11:12
Retuned? More like strangled. The 919 hornet is a good machine get after a 250. The engine isn't weak, but it's not manic either.Regardless, even Skelstar has managed two unintentional wheelies on his.

bert_is_evil
17th July 2007, 11:16
I went from a 250 to a 500 V4 2 stroke, and I'm still here... Unless you know the guy and how he rides and what his experience it is, I don't see how suggesting a 900cc sports bike is in his best interests. I realise you've got a barrow to push, and that the Hornet has been on the market for a while, but new riders come here for help, and that should be the priority.

Fair enough I don't know about his riding experience, I'm just going on my own experience of the bikes I've had and am glad now that I didn't go from a 250cc to a 400cc which was my original intention.

skelstar
17th July 2007, 11:17
I realise you've got a barrow to push, and that the Hornet has been on the market for a while, but new riders come here for help, and that should be the priority.
Dude, I didn't "push my barrow" when I first saw the thread...nor did I say that it wasn't going to bite him or that he should buy it...all I said is that I didn't have any moments going to that particular bike.

I've been quite careful about that.

Sure the bike has been for sale for a week and a half and I'd love to sell it, but there was a comment about the suitability of that model of bike and I had some experience in that respect. So Marc, I don't want you to buy my bike ;)

Now can we get back to the discussion?

skelstar
17th July 2007, 11:19
Regardless, even Skelstar has managed two unintentional wheelies on his.
I was flooring it from the lights, and about 20,000kms after I had bought it. You can manage unintentional wheelies from most 500+cc bikes I would imagine.

imdying
17th July 2007, 11:20
I apologise, that was badly quoted, that comment was more directed at Mrs Kendog.

marc34
17th July 2007, 11:21
Find a bike shop and take one for a test ride, if nothing else they're disgustingly cheap brand new :yes: Not many bikes are evil unmanageable beasts, but some people have better throttle control (and self restraint!) than others. After a few laps around a route you know, you'll be able to answer that question for yourself :yes:

Thanks for your advice, im pretty much on the conservative side of life so i tend to show good restraint on throttles etc

imdying
17th July 2007, 11:22
You mention you're a big guy... Big Dave is a big guy, he recently cited the CB900 Hornet in a list of bikes suitable for big guys, might be worth a look :yes:

Devil
17th July 2007, 11:24
I HIGHLY recommend a Suzuki DL650 Vstrom. Same engine as the SV650 (650cc V-twin) but in an even better state of tune.

Do not get put off by the looks, because it's the ride that does the talking. It'll do everything, commute well (great fun sitting up high lording it over all ye who dare cross your path!), uses bugger all gas (errm I recall getting 400km out of a tank). Has plenty of poke, TONS of room for rider and pillion/luggage. It isn't too heavy. Here's the kicker. It does corners. It'll keep with the sportsbikes on a tight bit of road. Oh did I mention it'll do gravel and dirt roads too?

MSTRS
17th July 2007, 11:24
Thanks for your advice, im pretty much on the conservative side of life so i tend to show good restraint on throttles etc

WARNING: - HP is addictive. When you've got some, you will want more.
The trick is to take manageable bites...

avgas
17th July 2007, 11:44
600cc single. DR650/BMW650/GB500/SRX6.....
big thumper 400cc or bigger.
will have the hp/torque you need, not exactly slow, but difficult to loose your license tiwnce in one year, but wont get ya killed either.

Trudes
17th July 2007, 12:01
Well from personal experience, my opinion is that a 900Hornet is a 100 times less scary to ride than a GSXR750, marc you said that you're a fairly reserved rider, so I don't think you'd have any trouble progressing to the hornet, don't let the sound of 900cc (919 if you want to be specific) scare you too much, treat it with respect, as you should any bike, at least until you get used to the power difference, and it's no more dangerous than jumping onto a 600cc sportsbike. JMO. But do try some different types, makes and models out for size and fit. Good luck!

limbimtimwim
17th July 2007, 12:31
Hopefully some of you have some recommendations/suggestions on what bikes to look out for from your vast experience. Go down to TSS on Cuba St in Petone and ride them all. I suggest TSS because they are close to and they are happy to let you ride most things. I have no affiliation with them whatsoever.

Ride a 600cc sports bike, ride a cruiser, ride a bigger trail bike, ride a bike in the middle type thing, ride the 'step up' bikes like the SV650, ride a dirt/road crossover type thing.

Ride them all, even things you think may not be what you'd want to own just looking at them, your eyes will open when you do ride one. Ie. You may hate the look of a cruiser but find yourself giggling like a child riding one.

Stay off the 1000cc (4 and 2 cylinder) sports bikes for the moment, you'll ride a 600cc sports bike and realise they are mind-bendingly fast compared to your KDX.

marc34
17th July 2007, 13:03
cool, thanks for all your help everyone

swbarnett
17th July 2007, 13:29
There's nothing more annoying than waiting weeks on end for a $50 part to arrive from Japan.

Case in point - my wife had to wait a total of nine weeks for new brake disks for her CB600 Hornet. First it tool Honda Japan four weeks to tell us that they could not supply the part as it was a European model. It took Blue Wing Honda a further five weeks to source them from Europe.

jim.cox
17th July 2007, 13:41
600cc single. DR650/BMW650/GB500/SRX6.....
big thumper 400cc or bigger.
will have the hp/torque you need, not exactly slow, but difficult to loose your license tiwnce in one year, but wont get ya killed either.

That would be my choice too.

Big enough for the open road, easy around town and capable of handling gravel 'n all the shitty sorts of roads we get here.

Kendog
17th July 2007, 20:42
Unless you know the guy and how he rides and what his experience it is, I don't see how suggesting a 900cc sports bike is in his best interests.

You mention you're a big guy... Big Dave is a big guy, he recently cited the CB900 Hornet in a list of bikes suitable for big guys, might be worth a look :yes:

Small contradiction there in your posting.

My opinion, the Hornet is a great bike to be a first bigger bike.
Some context for that opinion:
I have ridden 18 different road bikes over my 5 years of riding, owning 5 bikes in that time, one of which was the 900 Hornet. That does not make me an expert by any means. But I can say from my experience, my wifes experience and Skelstars experience moving to the Hornet caused no problems at all. This is a great all round bike, value for money and a pleasure to ride. As far as the power goes, it is a pussy cat. Sure you can go fast on it once your confidence is up, but at no point did I feel 'wow shit' on this bike. Yes it will seem way way quicker than your current bike, but that will happen with most other larger bikes you try.
In comparison the 600cc and 750cc sport bikes are way way faster and may not be a good next bike. But there are other 600 type bikes like the bandits that fit the bill, but I think after a short period of time on these you will be wanting more.

Ultimately you are the best person to know what you need and can live with. The best way to know that is to ride different bikes and find the one that is right for you.

Good luck.

0arbreaka
18th July 2007, 18:44
Mate, If your intending on moving to a bigger bike from the d-tracker why dont you have a look at 400's most of the sports 400's will have double if not more hp than your current ride, they arent bad on the speed front, in fact theyr a fuck load of fun in most aspects, you might not be able to keep up with some of the big bikes on the straights, but if youve got sum balls you might be able to keep up with them in the twisties. If you commute on one, then I'd suggest you take it out on the weekends and thrash it, most sports 400's were designed to be able to handle a decent thrashing(cos they were designed as race bikes initially), I find my zxr goes better after a decent thrashing.

In the end its your decision as to what you do, test ride a few bikes and see what you like before you whip out your cheque book.

Bullitt
18th July 2007, 18:56
The problem Im finding with looking for a 400 (admitedly more a naked bike rather than a sportsbike) is theyre all late 80s/early 90s but still wanting comparatively big money. To my mind 5 grand or more for a 17-20 yo 400cc is pretty high

imdying
18th July 2007, 19:08
Small contradiction there in your posting.Yep, it was a nod to the fact they're (big bikes) not killers in the right hands. It's not the size of the bike that worries me, I just need to get a little more of feel about a person before I'd recommend something potentially unsuitable... the way I figure it, two kids and not phased by KB, he'll probably be fine :rofl:

Roj
19th July 2007, 11:06
For a quick comparison, a 2000 600 suzuki bandit does not have the same punch as a kwaka ZXR400, my lady has owned and ridden both.

My lady went from a suzuki A100 to the ZXR 400, it was a hell of step between the 2, she learnt alot about riding since there was such a difference but found that touring on the ZXR was a problem due to riding position, a 3-4 hour ride would give her some serious back pain, she then went to the Bandit 600, not as much punch to it but a lot easier to ride.:scooter:

What I would do is work out your budget, make a list of the various bikes that have been suggested and anything you like, take as many as you can for a test ride, then start narrowing it down to what you can afford and fit your requirements

Oh did I mention start with a budget?:yes:

inlinefour
19th July 2007, 14:41
Hi guys & girls,

my time on the 250cc machine is nearing an end, this is a good thing, very happy times, there is one problem though, i am unsure of the next step to take i.e. what size/type of bike would best suit the next level.

Hopefully some of you have some recommendations/suggestions on what bikes to look out for from your vast experience.

I am a big guy so need something to haul my overweight ass around the place

appreciate any help

I had a 2004 DRZ400 that was road legal and possibly the sort of thing your after by looking at what your riding at the moment. I understand that the Kawasaki KLX400 is pretty much the same sort of bike and in the past Kawasaki and Suzuki made the bikes as a joint venture. But alas that arrangement came to an end after some sort of a disagreement. Now I'm six foot two and back before my accident I was 116kg (yes I was a fat bastard, but are only 85kg now, but do not reccomend my weight loss program) and the DRZ was both the right sized bike physically and it had plenty of get up and go. I must admit that a few things was tweaked to make it go somewhat faster than the standard bike, to the point that a few friends took it for a ride and it scared the shyte outta them. But I believe that it would be an excellent bike for you. I also had a 2005 CBR600RR for the times I wnted to go that bit faster:innocent: and it was also a good sized bike for my needs and had plenty of grunt. At the end of the day I recommend that you put some thought into exactly what it is that you want from a bike. Then identify everything that fits that description and test pilot them out. Once you have done that you can make an informed decision on what it is that you are going to buy. Just remember this, the factory settings on the engine, suspension and other bits are generally not right for the rider and can be quite easily changed to suit. Good luck and let us know what it is that you decide to get. IL4 out. :mellow:

marc34
19th July 2007, 20:07
Thanks for all the great suggestions, i am leaning towards the Honda VFR800 at the moment, but this is only based really on looks, i will def be riding this and many others before i decide!

Any thoughts of the VFR as a choice? id probably be aiming for a 2002 model

jim.cox
20th July 2007, 11:07

Pro:
Its a Honda - with all that that brings

Con:
Its a Honda - with all that that brings

Good honest reliable boring rice-burner bikes....

more_fasterer
20th July 2007, 12:42

Try the last of the 750 models too, and if you get a VFR (regardless of age) put a loud exhaust on it!

vifferman
30th July 2007, 16:47
VFR?
You (allegedly) have to own a pipe and slippers to buy one, or at least be prepared to buy one within the first year of ownership.

I'm sure the 23 year old in Mrka with a blown VFR800 cranking out 140 rear-wheel HP doesn't own any of these things...

Bare in mind that although the VFR is an excellent all-rounder, they tend to sell for more than comparable bikes of other makes. Offsetting that, they tend to keep their value well.

The '02 model of VFR may not be the best one to get; of all the VFRs, they have the greatest share of problems, due to being the first of the VTecs. Against that, the VTec model does have the best suspension and handling, and the highest top end power.

If you DO eventually decide on one of those, see if you can get proof of it having had the stator upgrade, the front wiring loom replaced (they fail near the headstock), and the brakes attended to (there was a warning or recall for faulty components in the proportioning valve or somesuch).