PDA

View Full Version : 205mph claims thrown into doubt by experts

Bob
24th September 2004, 23:45
John Ulrich, editor of Roadracing World has spoken out against the claim that a biker was clocked at 205mph.

"Theoretically, it could happen anything is possible but I don't believe it. Guys who want to break speed records and go over 200 mph have to go to great lengths to get there” said Ulrich.

A further factor in the claim of the state trooper is that he timed the bike (a Honda RC51) using a stopwatch, which he started when, his in opinion, the bike crossed a white line. If his timing was even slightly out, then the claims of 200+mph could be way out.

The State Patrol is sticking to its guns and stopwatch. Spokesman Kevin Smith said it's possible for Tilley's bike to go that fast "What we have is what we have," Smith said. "That is the number he came up with, and there's really no going back on it. We have no reason to believe he's wrong."

aff-man
25th September 2004, 00:19
And exactly how long did it take for them to work this out. I wouldv'e laughed if they had tried to do me for that kinda speed. Just smile nod and say .... i'll see you boys in court. :bleh:

Motu
25th September 2004, 08:22
Oh crap - I do 205mph coming to work every day,just because they don't have the means to verify my speed dosn't mean it's not true,these wankers need to get into the real world where fast men ride fast on fast bikes every day.

Holy Roller
25th September 2004, 09:33
Debateing the top speed in this case would be pointless as its obvious that the speed limit had been breached somewhat even if the timing had been out by a few seconds or so. Though if you can get off the charge because the exact speed could not be determined would be worth pursuing. Its a strange world we live in.

Bandito
25th September 2004, 09:36
Bullshit on a road going RC51 I was at manfeild afew years back to see a race preped RC51 ridden very capably by one Jason Mcewan being passed by 3 gsxr 600 on the back straight at once! To confirm my suspicions I later bludged a ride on one and thougt it felt slow compared to my RF900! 205 mph is the upper limit of an RC211v and is way out of range for any RC51 including a WSB. Wank on!

Holy Roller
25th September 2004, 09:37
I know that in OZ the cops have white lines painted across the roads so that the air cops can time the journey of suspect vechicles between known distances. Had a mate done this way back in 88 when I working over there.

NordieBoy
25th September 2004, 13:36
205 mph is the upper limit of an RC211v and is way out of range for any RC51 including a WSB. Wank on!

Um, they are geared to reach top speed at the end of the longest straight.
They are not geared to reach the highest speed the bike is capable of.

How many HP for an RC211V?

Posh Tourer :P
25th September 2004, 13:50
a race preped RC51 ridden very capably by one Jason Mcewan being passed by 3 gsxr 600 on the back straight at once! To confirm my suspicions I later bludged a ride on one and thougt it felt slow compared to my RF900!

Perhaps it was race prepped to have less than stock horsepower

Subtle :Pokey:

enigma51
25th September 2004, 14:08
205mph = 329km/h I dont think so!!!!!!!!!!

Lou Girardin
25th September 2004, 14:46
Back in the '80's the MOT played with speed checks from aircraft. They even marked some roads with white lines, Himatangi Straights were one area. They decided it was too expensive and flagged it. It would be interesting, if someone whose brain is working (mine's not) could work out the time difference between 205 and 180 mph over that distance. I think the copper had a touch of the trembles at seeing someone who was so prepared to kill.
I'm surprised he didn't fly down and try to shoot his tyres out.

marty
25th September 2004, 14:59
205mph/400m = (about) 4.4 seconds

180mph/400m = (about) 5.0 seconds

150mph/400m = (about) 6.0 seconds

Mongoose
25th September 2004, 15:02

Only an over excited temble between 150 and 205 then marty. All hair splitting to a point, is there a penalty difference in the States between 150 and 205?

scumdog
25th September 2004, 17:18
Back in the '80's the MOT played with speed checks from aircraft. They even marked some roads with white lines, Himatangi Straights were one area. They decided it was too expensive and flagged it. It would be interesting, if someone whose brain is working (mine's not) could work out the time difference between 205 and 180 mph over that distance. I think the copper had a touch of the trembles at seeing someone who was so prepared to kill.
I'm surprised he didn't fly down and try to shoot his tyres out.

When in the States I often came across road-side signs saying "Warning, speed monitored by aircraft" (got a photo of one in my album) in the big open desert states i.e. Nevada, New Mexico etc.

Since the plane does'nt pull you over I never knew how many of the roadside stops by H.P types were a result of the 'eye in the sky'

marty
25th September 2004, 17:21
if it's like here, then penalty is probably decided by the judge. but then it is america.....

Jackrat
25th September 2004, 17:24
I kind'a doubted this from the start.
Human error could see the cop pushing his stop watch sooner or later than he thought.Of course he would never belive he made a mistake, but then if the charge goes through in court the riders a legend weather it was right or not.
Chances are the biker won't even defend it,and Honda will secretly love him for it :sly:

Krayy
27th September 2004, 09:29

Given the timings, if he was in a 70mph zone, he's still doing 100mph+ over the speed limit. I reckon he'll get 3 months PD, 12 months disqualification, and they'll end up scraping him off the side of the road in 2 months time after he gets blown off the road by a cross wind at 150+.

Incidentally, this happened to me when I was young, dumb and full of c*m just south of Taupo. First time I'd been up to 200kph and the last. Bugger me that was scary.

vifferman
27th September 2004, 09:47
I know that in OZ the cops have white lines painted across the roads so that the air cops can time the journey of suspect vechicles between known distances. Had a mate done this way back in 88 when I working over there.Yeah, I've seen that in Victoria.

scumdog
27th September 2004, 09:54
Hell, if I was the dude I would have taken it on the chin, the 'legend' status would be priceless.
Possibly he was not doing that speed, but even if he was 'only' doing 175mph I dare say the penalty would not be any less. :buggerd:

Pwalo
27th September 2004, 11:36
205 mph!! Even the genetically enhanced 999 04s that the Fila boys ride in the World Ducati Championships can't top 200, so I'm somewhat surprised that the HP chappies are risking making themselves look stupid.

Still it would make a good story if you were the rider. Noe perhaps my GS will be able to get to 150.

Coldkiwi
27th September 2004, 12:21
205 mph!! Even the genetically enhanced 999 04s that the Fila boys ride in the World Ducati Championships can't top 200, so I'm somewhat surprised that the HP chappies are risking making themselves look stupid.

I think what we're forgetting here is that it happened in America. Determination of speeding seems rather reminiscint of finding water with a witching stick and I suspect the penalties might be the same.

Also remember that the HP boys from down on the farm in the States probably aren't the kinda guys that read up on Nietzche, Aristotle and have a stunning command of geography or any event that occurs south or north of their county boundary... I think Insular is the word I'm looking for! Whether a race or road bike can actually do 205 mph probably didn't even entire their inevitably dense skulls.

Storm
27th September 2004, 12:36
As someone once said, "Only in America" :Police: :spudwhat: Still I wouldnt mind having the framed ticket on my wall saying I did 329km/h :killingme

Krayy
27th September 2004, 14:04
On a similar note, if you saw Top Gear last night, Jeremy Clarkson did a drag run between the lights in a Ford GT down a main street in Detroit. He stated after the piece had run that he had a bunch of cops following his film crew in case someone took a shot at them (most dangerous city in the world apparently) but when he did that, they were sitting watching him and didnt bat an eyelid.

Too much paperwork to book a foreigner?

marty
27th September 2004, 15:25
On a similar note, if you saw Top Gear last night, Jeremy Clarkson did a drag run between the lights in a Ford GT down a main street in Detroit. He stated after the piece had run that he had a bunch of cops following his film crew in case someone took a shot at them (most dangerous city in the world apparently) but when he did that, they were sitting watching him and didnt bat an eyelid.

Too much paperwork to book a foreigner?
didn't he say that he did 120mph?

vifferman
27th September 2004, 15:26
didn't he say that he did 120mph?Yup, that he did.:killingme
And that he expected them to arrest him.
But they just sat there, eating their donuts.:killingme
It was interesting too, that he was driving on the wrong side of the road for a while, and passing on the Double Yeller everywhere (not hard to do, as they have them nearly everywhere).

Lou Girardin
27th September 2004, 20:14
And he wets his pants over a car at least 5 secs slower to 160 than a sportbike.
Good old Jeremy.
He doesn't like 5th Gear much either. They must remind him of when Top Gear was cutting edge. When Tiff could drift anything without constantly looping it.

Jackrat
27th September 2004, 20:16
Hey,I shot the last moose in NZ,
Fair go,would I lie to you's.
Was in Albert park I tell ya's.
Chaaaaaaa,now I'm famous too :not:

jrandom
27th September 2004, 20:25
Hey,I shot the last moose in NZ

Here, de moose moose moose.

In-a da chocolaaaate, an-de moose. Hmmm, de doo de bork bork bork...

NordieBoy
27th September 2004, 21:00
Yeah, I've seen that in Victoria.

They did it some years ago between Tasman and Motueka here in Nelson.
White lines on the road and all.

NordieBoy
27th September 2004, 21:02
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art3/0922042speed1.gif

NordieBoy
27th September 2004, 21:07
And he wets his pants over a car at least 5 secs slower to 160 than a sportbike.
Good old Jeremy.
He doesn't like 5th Gear much either. They must remind him of when Top Gear was cutting edge. When Tiff could drift anything without constantly looping it.

The only TV I watch is my motorsport on 1 on sunday afternoon channel hopping to the WRC on 3 and then Top Gear on Prime.
I try and watch 5th Gear but I keep forgetting to get back in time.
It needs to be on later.

The Stig is dead, long live the Stig :headbang:

scumdog
27th September 2004, 21:18
Hey,I shot the last moose in NZ,
Fair go,would I lie to you's.
Was in Albert park I tell ya's.
Chaaaaaaa,now I'm famous too :not:

I got a work Commodore onto the rev-limiter in reverse! does that make me famous or just a dick? or a recipient for a visit to a chiropractor? :spudwhat:

White trash
27th September 2004, 21:35
I got a work Commodore onto the rev-limiter in reverse! does that make me famous or just a dick? or a recipient for a visit to a chiropractor? :spudwhat:

:laugh: I love it when I meet someone who reckopns they've "Just got the hell deal on this 450,000km, white commodore from Turners!"

Yip. You boys sure look after 'em well.

marty
27th September 2004, 21:40
i think that is 125 or so k SD. apparantley. so i've heard. rumour has it.

scumdog
27th September 2004, 21:41
:laugh: I love it when I meet someone who reckopns they've "Just got the hell deal on this 450,000km, white commodore from Turners!"

Hey c'mon, the rev-limiter is there to save the engine from being thrashed, right? right? :msn-wink:

badlieutenant
27th September 2004, 22:25
Good old Jeremy.
yer tiff was way better at driving but jeremy is funny.

spudchucka
28th September 2004, 07:04

Mid winter, 0430 hours, freezing cold, get a burglars on call, car goes from frozen solid to getting reamed out at the red line, the oil will catch up by the time we get to the job. They could tell some stories those cars if they could talk. Stuffed if I'd let my kid sit in the back seat of one though, no amount of sanitising will totally get rid of all that blood, vomit and who knows what other form of human (and sub-human) bodily fluids.

Bob
21st October 2004, 00:49
The motorcyclist arrested for allegedly clocking 205mph has told Midwest Quick Throttle Magazine in an upcoming issue that he was going closer to half that speed.

Samuel Tilley said in the interview that he's not sure exactly how fast he was going because he was watching the road and another rider who was nearby. The other rider was ticketed for going 111 mph.

Tilley is scheduled to appear in Wabasha County Court on Oct. 25.

badlieutenant
21st October 2004, 07:35
The motorcyclist arrested for allegedly clocking 205mph has told Midwest Quick Throttle Magazine in an upcoming issue that he was going closer to half that speed.

Samuel Tilley said in the interview that he's not sure exactly how fast he was going because he was watching the road and another rider who was nearby. The other rider was ticketed for going 111 mph.

Tilley is scheduled to appear in Wabasha County Court on Oct. 25.
he shoulda kept his mouth shut and been the legend :yeah:

The Pastor
24th October 2004, 08:39
Until someone tops his record I think he will have the legend status for a wee while.

And spongebob sucks

Hooks
24th October 2004, 09:33
Until someone tops his record I think he will have the legend status for a wee while.

And spongebob sucks

Be careful what you say about Spongebob buddy :kick: ..... There are many who feel his revolutionary thinking should be encouraged :2guns: ... We are everywhere and you will never know when we strike :Pokey: ..... until it's too late and you are chained, naked and mounted on a carolla roof parked in the centre of a roundabout covered with sponges .... :bleh:

Bob
26th October 2004, 23:36
Samuel Tilley, the motorcyclist accused of going 205 miles per hour in southern Minnesota last month met with authorities today to discuss a possible plea bargain.

Tilley entered a plea of not guilty to the change of going 140mph over the speed limit.

According to Wabasha County Attorney Jim Nordstrom he is not concerned with reports that Tilley could not have recorded a speed of 205mph. Referring to the State Patrol pilot who clocked Tilley, Nordstrom said he “Respects his professional skills and if he says that's the speed he was going, I believe him.”

Tilley is due back in Wabasha County court on Dec. 22 for a pre-trial conference. I suggest he brings along a body of evidence from Honda to support his case.