PDA

View Full Version : Veterinary nursing

Curious_AJ
18th July 2007, 00:13
I know there are a couple of us vet nursie types on this site...

What I wanted to ask, is: do any of you know a good place for a student nurse to do any part time work on a weekend or something, maybe just reception duties or something like that (this be in Auckland mind you)...

I already have a work placement at the Jansens vet in Glenfield on a Thursday, but its not paid or anything as its just experience.

any input would be awesome, thanks.

Curious_AJ
18th July 2007, 17:09
dang, nothing since last night...

SDU
19th July 2007, 13:15
Don't know what its like up your way but on the Mainland you get the VN work through word of mouth or visiting the clinics & leaving your cv. If you can go to the promo functions & meet vn's there, they are a good way to find out what clinics are looking for staff & a free feed of course.

Curious_AJ
19th July 2007, 20:54
true, yeah, here we have ads etc.. but im not really looking for full time work or anything, because i'm still in the baby stages of training...

babyblade250rr
19th July 2007, 20:57
I know there are a couple of us vet nursie types on this site...

What I wanted to ask, is: do any of you know a good place for a student nurse to do any part time work on a weekend or something, maybe just reception duties or something like that (this be in Auckland mind you)...

I already have a work placement at the Jansens vet in Glenfield on a Thursday, but its not paid or anything as its just experience.

any input would be awesome, thanks.

I might suggest looking at the SPCA, My sisters a vet nurse there and has been for quite sometime

MotoGirl
19th July 2007, 20:59
true, yeah, here we have ads etc.. but im not really looking for full time work or anything, because i'm still in the baby stages of training...

I'm not in the veterinary industry but work for the company that wrote its software... Anyway, I think you'll find the clinics accommodating if you rock up, introduce yourself and leave a CV. There are shitloads of clinics throughout AKL. Sometimes you get the best jobs by wanting to learn, even though you might need to work for nothing or a pathetic wage.

Curious_AJ
19th July 2007, 21:02
im used to pathetic wages and prepared for them in this industry... and, yeah, ive been to heaps of places for work exp and just going there and putting in my cv etc.. sadly nothing has come up.. but yeah, i've been doing it, along with other places... tomorrow is my supermarket run... 5 places i'm applying to...

SDU
25th July 2007, 15:17
Just keep your head up & keep on rocking up, something will give.
Also some clinics have catteries & may be willing to give you part-time work in that area & work experience in the clinic. A foot in the door leads inwards.
Pity you're in the wrong city for me to be of much help.
Good luck.

Curious_AJ
25th July 2007, 16:49
yeah, on this front, thanks for the suggestions guys.. ive had experience in a clinic with a cattery here before, they were cool, but the practice seems like its going under and it wasnt of the BEST standard... but I'm in Jansens vet now, they're great, their clinic is super awesome! (the Unitec clinic is still the best one i have worked in though ofcourse... DEFINATELY best practise standard and FULLY steril procedures)

as for Jansens as well, they've asked me to give in my CV... so I now have my CV in a couple of places which could be useful!

Curious_AJ
25th July 2007, 16:53
though, on another matter.. I'm not too sure whether or not to do the Diploma year (im doing a cert in anim, management at the moment but counts as first year VN) hence i get a cert at the end of the year instead of doing the same course and not getting any quals.... the thing is... I want to go into animal welfare more.. this course has opened up my eyes to what i REALLY want to do and not something thats just second choice (i wanted to be a vet first)... there is an animal management welfare course thats distance learning with block courses that I have to do in the normal holidays... so i have to really talk to one of the course coordinators about it too...

0arbreaka
25th July 2007, 17:07
I friend of my family just recently completed here veterinary degree and is now a vet out in howick, I could have a talk to her for you and see if there is a need for a vet nurse or something along those lines.

flame
25th July 2007, 17:23
Really hard to get paid work in a Vet Practice until your qualified, main reason being that nowadays OSH regs promote that only qualified/experienced staff should be working in Practice. We have trouble just allowing students to come in and observe (without even taking part in any 'hands on). Although....if your already in training, then the best advice I could offer you would be to try and get some volunteer work at local vet clinics during the week (after tech as most clinics are open late hours these days), they wont probably let you do a lot (OSH) but cleaning cages/equipment, packing instruments and feeding patients is a good start. And if you do it well, then the posibility of being offered a part time job may stand in your favour. Thats how we employed our current junior nurse.

I know you've probably already been down this road, but pet shops/catteries etc are often crying out for weekend staff, well I know they are down here in Welly. But yes the pay is peanuts. But hey, it will all help with your experience, and look good on your CV.

Some of my students work for dog training facilities at the weekends just walking dogs and cleaning kennels etc. you may have some similar places near you (I don't know where you are) but the airport have drug dog kennels etc.

Good luck, and stick with it :)

Curious_AJ
25th July 2007, 23:05
well, i'm in the north shore.. so all of the above mentioned places are kind of hard to get to for poor (in more ways than one) little old me.. but i think I may actually hold out on the working in a vet clinic...

recently I've been confused as to what I want to do.. I don't think I want to go on with the Diploma... it doesn't really lead to much in the Animal Welfare sector (except the obvious health thing) I may decide to take the other certificate...

but yeah... really confusing stuff... I really need to know which directions i can go from either of the courses i could take...
but i DEFINATELY, with no doubts want to work with SOME kind of welfare... be it an officer, or an inspector, or whatever... I just don't want to be stuck with something I don't ultimately want to do....

Blondini
25th July 2007, 23:22
You could try swanson vets they need a better welcome party...What about the concourse animal refuge???Oh and hi how are you?:sunny:

Curious_AJ
25th July 2007, 23:25
lol, i'm confused, thats how lol...

I've never heard of the concourse animal refuge... seems like something more up my alley.... where is is and what exactly do they do?

Blondini
25th July 2007, 23:32
lol, i'm confused, thats how lol...

I've never heard of the concourse animal refuge... seems like something more up my alley.... where is is and what exactly do they do?animal welfare control 48 the concourse(thats the road name...end of lincoln road)
PH 8390400 fax 8367776 even if you volunteer to get your foot in the door:love:They deal with all types of animal control and I believe they are busy...You may have to retrieve a pit bull or two but dont worry thats what armed officers are for...All the best and if all else fails you could be my nanny come vet:yes:

Curious_AJ
26th July 2007, 21:23
lol, thanks chickling ^_^

yeah, that sounds liek my kinda thing.. hey, i could groom peoples pets if they would like me to :D:D:D!! I LOVE grooming.. its really theraputic! I groomed a little white doggie that was rescued from the pound today, it was filthy, so we washed it and got rid of all the matts in the poor fellow's fur, and he came out looking like a pom pom!!! but he's the sweetest little chap... so loving.. I made friends with him.. sad part is, i'll probably never see the little munchkin again :(

but yeah... LET ME GROOM YOUR PETS!! (apparently I'm good at it.. lol!)
just so long as they don't tend to bite, mind you... lol!