PDA

View Full Version : Stoppies - upping the pace..

jade
18th July 2007, 17:28
Ok so im getting more confident doing stoppies and do them at most intersections,
Im starting to feel like I know how much grip is available and the technique for braking without locking... I can do small rolling stoppies from 70-80km, and I believe they would not be that much harder at higher speeds, my question is - are you less likely to lock the front at higher speeds because the wheel is traveling faster against the same braking pressure ?

Jantar
18th July 2007, 17:39
Ok so im getting more confident doing stoppies and do them at most intersections,....
You, sir, are an idiot. Stoppies are a stunt, not an everyday riding method. If you say that you are practicing stoppies on a quiet, out of the way road, then I would be impressed and look forward to see how you are progressing. But stoppies at an intersection, any intersection, is just plain stupid.

Grow up and learn to ride.

slowpoke
18th July 2007, 18:05
Maaaate, you are makin' it really hard to disagree with Jantar.....

Chrislost
18th July 2007, 18:44
You, sir, are an idiot. Stoppies are a stunt, not an everyday riding method. If you say that you are practicing stoppies on a quiet, out of the way road, then I would be impressed and look forward to see how you are progressing. But stoppies at an intersection, any intersection, is just plain stupid.

MORE STOPPIES AT AUCKLAND INTERSECTIONS!

you get younger and find your sence of fun!

TLMAN
18th July 2007, 18:45
Ok so im getting more confident doing stoppies and do them at most intersections,
Im starting to feel like I know how much grip is available and the technique for braking without locking... I can do small rolling stoppies from 70-80km, and I believe they would not be that much harder at higher speeds, my question is - are you less likely to lock the front at higher speeds because the wheel is traveling faster against the same braking pressure ?

Haha I saw you on constellation Drive the other day "refining your technique". I was on the red TL that exited at Upper Harbour Drive (if it was you).

Mr. Peanut
18th July 2007, 18:57
No expert, but.

Stoppies are simply a result of the torque from braking. If the net torque is sufficient to overcome the pull of gravity on your back wheel then you will stoppie.

Kinda like how you can do wheelies at any speed, as long as torque is sufficient to lift the front wheel - see Ghostrider.

In other words, ignoring wind resistance, speed is irrelevant.

And ferchrisake, watch the road surface!!!

Virago
18th July 2007, 21:33
Ok so im getting more confident doing stoppies and do them at most intersections.......

:tugger::tugger::tugger::tugger::tugger:

boomer
18th July 2007, 21:58

Virago
18th July 2007, 22:05
:tugger:....

:tugger:......:bleh:

TLMAN
18th July 2007, 22:10

:grouphug::not:

Mental Trousers
18th July 2007, 23:08
Don't go doing stoppies on public roads. The surface is far too unpredictable amongst other things.
If you want to get good at them then have a read of this thread (http://sportsbike.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=135&highlight=stoppie).

Cr1MiNaL
19th July 2007, 00:22
What they said.

ZeroIndex
19th July 2007, 04:49

Dammit, I was about to say the exact same thing... the only place that I will try a stoppie is in an empty parking lot when I do my sunday stunt practice or in my driveway, keep dumb stuff off the road unless there's a bunch of chicks you're trying to impress... cause just like everyone knows: Chicks Dig Scars...

jade
19th July 2007, 10:51
Haha I saw you on constellation Drive the other day "refining your technique". I was on the red TL that exited at Upper Harbour Drive (if it was you).

Yea that was me

t3mp0r4ry nzr
19th July 2007, 17:09
my question is - are you less likely to lock the front at higher speeds
correct.given same pressure is applied

moT
20th July 2007, 10:12
yeah man more stoppies! do it while your young and invincible and have lots of fun doing it! some ppl dont know how to have fun.

Aero165
20th July 2007, 15:58
Notice how all the people who are saying "Don't do it" either ride 'cruiser' type bikes or are about a million years old?

If you don't like hearing about this kinda stuff then look in this forum!

Give the kid a break, turn on the tv and complain about news or something!:whocares:

Jantar
20th July 2007, 16:21
yeah man more stoppies! do it while your young and invincible and have lots of fun doing it! some ppl dont know how to have fun.

Notice how all the people who are saying "Don't do it" either ride 'cruiser' type bikes or are about a million years old?

Give the kid a break, turn on the tv and complain about news or something!:whocares:

I think you both need to read the thread again. No-one is saying don't do stoppies, they are saying don't do stoppies at intersections.

As for those who are trying to give advice "either ride 'cruiser' type bikes or are about a million years old?" have a look at ZeroIndex's profile. I think you'll find he is a young rider and one the best stunt riders on this forum. :msn-wink:

Oh, and those of us who are about a million years old? How do you think we survived this long? :innocent:

avgas
20th July 2007, 16:32
Stoppies are a good way to get a mouthful of tarmac, they also leave you wide open for anal rape.
I stopped doing them for these reason.
Fall off doing a wheelie, you will slide and loose skin.
Fall off doing a stoppie and your bike falls on you.

R6_kid
20th July 2007, 16:41
The only way to 'gaurantee' you won't lock is to have a predictable surface, and to be smooth and progressive on the brakes.

The main thing is to get the suspension compressed, and allow the tyre to flex and get a larger contact patch with the ground. This is done by making a smooth initial squeeze on the lever and getting the weight transferred forward, it takes about a second or two to allow this to happen, after that you just apply more braking power and allow the rear end to lift and rotate/pivot around the front wheel.

Keep your arms relaxed, but fairly straight and keep your eyes up looking at where you want to go.

Mom
20th July 2007, 17:22
Keep your arms relaxed, but fairly straight and keep your eyes up looking at where you want to go.

And your knees well off the ground eh sweets :innocent:

ZeroIndex
20th July 2007, 17:32
I think you both need to read the thread again. No-one is saying don't do stoppies, they are saying don't do stoppies at intersections.

As for those who are trying to give advice "either ride 'cruiser' type bikes or are about a million years old?" have a look at ZeroIndex's profile. I think you'll find he is a young rider and one the best stunt riders on this forum. :yes:

Oh, and those of us who are about a million years old? How do you think we survived this long? :innocent:
Holy crap, thanks for the vote of confidence... Although I'm not 'that' young, and I'm not a good stunt rider... I still have lots to learn, like: how to cover the rear brake on a 2nd gear standup... Once I fix my bike, I plan on learning how to do that :p

But yeah, I fully agree with what you're saying... keep stunting for places where the only things that are gonna get damaged is either your bike and/or you if something does go wrong.

I've crashed a couple of times, and I feel crap enough about it as it is, but I can't imagine how crap I would feel if I took someone out while doing shit that should be kept away from busy areas like cities and intersections...

Stunt safely dude :yes:

Cr1MiNaL
20th July 2007, 19:23

I have to respectfully disagree.

robertydog
20th July 2007, 19:26
Hell man. What they all said.

Aero165
20th July 2007, 19:39
W00t. First time I've ever been quoted.

I do agree. Stoppies can be dangerous, I've lost my fair share of skin trying them BUT there is not a better feeling than rocking up to a intersection on your front wheel only.

I myself have never done them in a situation where anyone else other than myself could get hurt. Doing them into a busy intersection is just plain stupid and asking for trouble, doing them up to a quiet intersection to impress the hotchick in the BMW 2 or so meters to your left/right I feel is quite acceptable.

But then what do I know. I'm "young and stupid":second:

Each to there own as long as they don't hurt anyone else!

Babelfish
20th July 2007, 20:05

Do you go to the same steam room as WierdoinSpandex? :buggerd:

moT
20th July 2007, 20:34
Holy crap, thanks for the vote of confidence... Although I'm not 'that' young, and I'm not a good stunt rider... I still have lots to learn, like: how to cover the rear brake on a 2nd gear standup... Once I fix my bike, I plan on learning how to do that :p

But yeah, I fully agree with what you're saying... keep stunting for places where the only things that are gonna get damaged is either your bike and/or you if something does go wrong.

I've crashed a couple of times, and I feel crap enough about it as it is, but I can't imagine how crap I would feel if I took someone out while doing shit that should be kept away from busy areas like cities and intersections...

Stunt safely dude :yes:
Nah whellie last gear in redline between rush hour traffic then when you get on the open road pass cars on the front wheel

ghostrider
21st July 2007, 09:13
oh my gosh! someone call the police! hes doing stunts on the streets lol man you guys are plastic!

Toaster
21st July 2007, 10:24
BOOMER and VIRAGO.... you two made me laugh and didn't say a word, loved it hehehehe!

Toaster
21st July 2007, 10:28

As for those who are trying to give advice "either ride 'cruiser' type bikes or are about a million years old?" have a look at ZeroIndex's profile. I think you'll find he is a young rider and one the best stunt riders on this forum. :yes:

Jantar, I couldn't agree more on all points. Well said. Now... how do you do a stoppie on a 320kg+ cruiser without snapping the frame, that my next challenge!

boomer
21st July 2007, 13:18

:tugger::tugger: .... ;)

Virago
21st July 2007, 13:26

Jeez, don't start that again - we're supposed to know better...:dodge::shutup:

boomer
21st July 2007, 14:10
Jeez, don't start that again - we're supposed to know better...:dodge::shutup:

obviously i didn't/don't as i got an infraction, from that fuknuckle Jantar, for the first one.. i'm too stoopid to take a hint tho

Sidewinder
21st July 2007, 14:20

thats what i like to hare. keep up the good work.
don't listen to alll thesse old grandays on here. atack balls out, no fear:rockon:

ZeroIndex
21st July 2007, 14:42

aren't you getting a sore wrist, or are you used to it by now? :killingme

SARGE
21st July 2007, 15:02
aren't intersections where the Diesel spirits, White Paint will o' wisps, Gravel ghosts and tosser cage drivers live?

im personally all for doing stupid shit in traffic ..i spend 90% of my life driving around in it and could use some light entertainment...let me know where you're going next time .. love to watch a guy learn how a face plant feels.. i can even sell you some tools on the spot to fix it up

care to guess how we got to be a million years old?...

most of us can still walk too

boomer
21st July 2007, 17:12
obviously i didn't/don't as i got an infraction, from that fuknuckle Jantar, for the first one.. i'm too stoopid to take a hint tho

thats 2 for this thread.. lets go for the hatrick now Blackbird wants a piece of FUCK YOU too ;)

ZeroIndex
21st July 2007, 17:34
thats 2 for this thread.. lets go for the hatrick now Blackbird wants a piece of FUCK YOU too ;)
I think at this stage Sidewinder would be proud of you... and if Sidewinder is proud of you, I don't think you're doing very well :killingme

Cr1MiNaL
21st July 2007, 17:36
and who was callin who a wanker?

boomer
21st July 2007, 18:01
and who was callin who a wanker?

did someone fart?

boomer
21st July 2007, 18:02
I think at this stage Sidewinder would be proud of you... and if Sidewinder is proud of you, I don't think you're doing very well :killingme

never heard of him/her...and if my life is gauged by how well or not i'm doing here i'll go cut my wrists now

ZeroIndex
21st July 2007, 18:31
never heard of him/her...and if my life is gauged by how well or not i'm doing here i'll go cut my wrists now
LOL... that reminds me of a t-shirt...

FilthyLuka
22nd July 2007, 08:50
Jantar, I couldn't agree more on all points. Well said. Now... how do you do a stoppie on a 320kg+ cruiser without snapping the frame, that my next challenge!

With some rocket boosters attached to the rear swingarm :D

RE5 trumps rs250 dude, sorry to point that out :innocent:
And whatcha talking bout cruisers... cruisers do wheelies plenty decent...

Ah, its gonna be quite humorous (or not so) when the dude needs to have an RS250 removed from his spine...

"yeah! stoppie! what the? oh shit!" -slip- -smash- -crunch- -paralyzed-

nobody likes oil on the road...

Denis

Toaster
22nd July 2007, 08:51
With some rocket boosters attached to the rear swingarm :D

mmmmm rocket boosters......... (drool).

jade
23rd July 2007, 21:14
enough spamming people, perhaps I should have worded my original post better, I am not doing 100m 12 o clockers up to a busy intersection, ive just been experimenting with braking methods, how much grip is availible, and lifting the rear as I am rolling to a stop, it has been very much a case of starting from nothing over a couple months - braking onto the front wheel at 0kph, at 5kph, at 10 kph etc, I do them on empty roads mostly but I can tell you they have a 100pc strike rate of getting a look from the car you do it next to at the lights.
I have locked the front 4 times on cold tyres and slid for about 1m but never enough to become a close call,
If you dont test these limits, how are you going to deal with them when they happen unexpectedly ?

ZeroIndex
23rd July 2007, 21:31
enough spamming people, perhaps I should have worded my original post better, I am not doing 100m 12 o clockers up to a busy intersection, ive just been experimenting with braking methods, how much grip is availible, and lifting the rear as I am rolling to a stop, it has been very much a case of starting from nothing over a couple months - braking onto the front wheel at 0kph, at 5kph, at 10 kph etc, I do them on empty roads mostly but I can tell you they have a 100pc strike rate of getting a look from the car you do it next to at the lights.
I have locked the front 4 times on cold tyres and slid for about 1m but never enough to become a close call,
If you dont test these limits, how are you going to deal with them when they happen unexpectedly ?
Yes, keep it up, you may never know when you see a bunch of hot chicks... stoppies should give a high percentage chance of getting their phone numbers

Mekk
24th July 2007, 03:58
Pfft, if you need your bike to get chicks there's something wrong...perhaps your face?

Be as dangerous as you like on your bike provided the danger is only to yourself. In saying that, I'd rule out stoppies at intersections unless you're very very careful.