PDA

View Full Version : Cost-effective GPS options...

cowboyz
18th July 2007, 17:29
Had a garmin etrex which worked really well but had a bit of a moment with it and it is now in the rubbish bin.

So looking for a replacement.

Found this one...

http://www.efrontier.co.nz/estore/product_info.php?cPath=2_3&products_id=84

PROS.

....It is cheap
....It is small
....It is green
....Gives some info while on the bike
....It is rechargeable.

CONS.

....It is small
....No top speed recorded.

Or there is this one...

http://www.efrontier.co.nz/estore/product_info.php?cPath=2_36&products_id=194

but then it is simply recording. No info while on the bike.

Or I could go another garmin etrex..

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=6403

Is there another option?

sinned
18th July 2007, 17:48
I am also interested in what is used on motorcycles. I have a Navman map based GPS that is fine in the car but can't be operated while riding. Also it doesn't record top speed, average speed, etc.
So what works best on a bike?

canarlee
18th July 2007, 17:52
tom tom do a good one i think!

mainly for european markets maybe, but you can put your own maps on it etc

tom tom rider i think it is called, specifically for bikes

google it and see what you get

cowboyz
18th July 2007, 17:55
the garmin etrex I had was fantastic for recording info. Not so good for direstion as it does not do maps. You can set waypoints in it but quite involved and its all as the crow flies. I am thinking the gh01 would be just as good but advantage of the garmin was it showed you a heap of data on one screen that you could read while riding. Note though, mine was version 3.3 and there are others out there that look the same but are version 2.xx and they dont do quite so much. In particular the avg speed WHILE MOVING.
So mine, if you cruise along at 100 for an hour and stop for an hour the AVG speed would read 90+km/hr. On the version 2.xx the average speed would read 50k/hr because it records that you are doing 0 for so long.

cowboyz
18th July 2007, 17:56
tom tom do a good one i think!

mainly for european markets maybe, but you can put your own maps on it etc

tom tom rider i think it is called, specifically for bikes

google it and see what you get

http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=1&Lid=1&TT=7a1281c3%3Ababa37bd%3A00000000%3A00000000%3A000 00000%3A00000000%3Al56brhqhalh8hrqedaptceo0e0

but at 400 pounds it misses the "cost effective" part of the equation.

canarlee
18th July 2007, 18:00
http://www.tomtom.com/products/category.php?ID=1&Lid=1&TT=7a1281c3%3Ababa37bd%3A00000000%3A00000000%3A000 00000%3A00000000%3Al56brhqhalh8hrqedaptceo0e0

but at 400 pounds it misses the "cost effective" part of the equation.

i have friends in the uk who can prolly get that a LOT cheaper!

the one in the link is the one you like/want yes?

if so give me a few days and let me see what i can find out for you!

cowboyz
18th July 2007, 18:05
all comes down to that money tree. By all means if you can get one for under a couple of hundred bucks I am all in. Otherwise I will go back to one of the other solutions. I dont really care about maps. Bloody hard to get lost in new zealand.

canarlee
18th July 2007, 18:07
ahh you dont need one with maps!

well dem dar fings yoo wanna i no nuffink abowt, soz

cowboyz
18th July 2007, 18:09
speak england lass

canarlee
18th July 2007, 18:10
oi, its lad if ya dont mind!

it says (fonetikale) them things you want i know nothing abour, sorry

cowboyz
18th July 2007, 18:21
oops. I going to spend the rest of the night gett ing my foot out..........

canarlee
18th July 2007, 18:23
lol no worries

the username doesnt really give a clue does it!.

NighthawkNZ
18th July 2007, 18:28
I looking at getting one of these...

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/469db2b00029cb442740c0a87f3306eb/Product/View/D7999

babyblade250rr
18th July 2007, 18:36
the pricing of gps systems for bikes is absolutely ridiculous, why can't navman make cheaper bike capable one for like $3-4 hundy

carbacca
18th July 2007, 18:48
i have a Garmin ique m4 (basically a PDA with GPS built in) harvey normal was doing 60% or something off for them a few weeks back so i got it for 350. works reasonably well, i just stick it on the clear pocket top of the tankbag

sinned
18th July 2007, 19:14
Impressive devices but hell the asking price is high. I think I will stay with my basic navman.

rustys
18th July 2007, 20:18
Just bought a Navman F20 of "Trade me" for $415 delivered. Put that on the Xt the other day taped it onto the brake resesviour with duck tape, works fine on the bike. Made up a lead from the battery with a DSE female cig lighter plug to power the Unit. The only regrett was that possibly should have invested a bit more and got something that i could plug in a headset or blue tooth to listen to instructions, never mind that would have been xtra Dollars, i can follow the map pretty well though.
I have since found out that i think Navman have designed a bluetooth plug in unit for the F20, available in Australia for somewhere around $249 aus.
Bought the unit to use on a bike trip in Australia in September for a month.
Picked up a map of australia for $ 156.00 nz dollars from www.thesatnavstore.com UK delivered in four days.
Most guys in the states are using the Garmin Zumo designed for motorcycles, but hey technology is advancing that quickly that something we buy today will be obsolete tomorrow hence the budget package.
Also i have had it on my FJR 1300 the rubber windscreen suction mount is dam good sticks to the front of the tank quite nicely, saving the xtra costs for a GPS mounting platform.:rockon:

ZeroIndex
18th July 2007, 20:38
not sure if this has been covered: BUY A MAP AND HTFU!!!

babyblade250rr
18th July 2007, 20:44
not sure if this has been covered: BUY A MAP AND HTFU!!!

LOL! with that one could suggest catching a cab?? haha though some of them taxi drivers no less about where their going than i!

Zapf
18th July 2007, 20:50
I have a Garmin GPS60, and have loaded it NZ road maps.

Can't do routing or auto routing, but all I do is draw the route and waypoints on the PC and load them into the GPS before I leave home. It records all the info, and last about 16 hours on a set of AA rechargables. Water proof and can be operated ok with gloved hand on a bike.

merv
18th July 2007, 21:10
I have the older CS version of this one https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=161&pID=350 which they don't seem to have listed now I guess its replaced by the Cx. Haven't bothered preplotting routes with it but I love checking records of where I've been. Does all the average speeds, top speeds etc that you could ever wish for. Nice and waterproof too being a marine version. Mine has the 128mb fixed, no card changing capability. Geez they getter better all the time eh!

NordieBoy
19th July 2007, 08:21
Garmin eTrex Legend with handlebar mount.
4 years of everyday use mounted on the bars of the Nordie without issue.
Bought another one a few monthe ago.
Fast enough for realtime navigation and can load an entire Island of BrentC's searchable street maps no problem.
On the DR it's wired into the 12V.
Last one was new-in-box for $245 off TradeMe.

skelstar
19th July 2007, 09:12
I also have the Garmin Etrex Legend...but am thinking about using its serial streaming output and running it into my PSP and using the (free) MapThis! software...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oz4xMQPhx8c"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oz4xMQPhx8c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

The video shows the PSP working with the Sony GPS module attached (~$80) which just plug in the top. You can use any GPS unit with a serial output I think.

deanohit
19th July 2007, 09:22
I also have the Garmin Etrex Legend...but am thinking about using its serial streaming output and running it into my PSP and using the (free) MapThis! software.

Interesting concept. Found quite a few other vids on youtube on this system working.

Blackbird
19th July 2007, 09:31
I have a Garmin 76 CSX which I bought new for ~$640 from TradeMe a few months back. I went for this model because it's compact to slip in my pocket when overseas but is still great on the bike or in the car. The free software that comes with it is a bit basic so I got another bit of great software with auto-routing, points of interest (gas stations, ATM's, tourist stuff etc) and a whole lot more. It doesn't have voice messaging but it beeps at critical points so that's fine. Very pleased with it.

skelstar
19th July 2007, 09:34
Interesting concept. Found quite a few other vids on youtube on this system working.

Yeah, not the best one that i posted either. Been sniffing around that .co.nz site mentioned before (can't remember name) and they have a GPS mouse for $88...thats all you need!

The cool thing with the PSP method is all you do is download some free software, point it at Google Maps and it downloads ALL of the zoom levels for the area that you specify. Have had a go with the PSP in GPS mode and it rocks! Not brilliant software, but the guy is working on it.

deanohit
19th July 2007, 09:40
Yea been looking on trademe and found these:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Gaming/PSP/Accessories/auction-109022809.htm?p=16

Now I just need a PSP.

avgas
19th July 2007, 09:46
Can someone explain why you need a GPS system, on a bike, with no maps?
Its that as useful as a spirograph on a bike? Seeing as all its doing it drawing pictures on a screen? Or am i missing a big point here.
I mean i can understand having gps with no maps if you walk the bush (hansel and grettel style).....but on a road bike, on nz roads.

skelstar
19th July 2007, 09:57
Yea been looking on trademe and found these:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Gaming/PSP/Accessories/auction-109022809.htm?p=16

Now I just need a PSP.

Go to http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-io-49-en-70-1mij.html and buy them for $80 + freight I think.

cowboyz
19th July 2007, 16:53
Its that as useful as a spirograph on a bike? Seeing as all its doing it drawing pictures on a screen? Or am i missing a big point here.
I mean i can understand having gps with no maps if you walk the bush (hansel and grettel style).....but on a road bike, on nz roads.

On the bike it will give you info like top speed/average speed. Not really useful, no but interesting. Where it comes to life is off the bike. You can overlay the track onto a map and see where you have been. Then, with a click of the mouse you can see any corner you want and see entrance speed, corner speed and exit speed. See how smooth you are really riding. You can remember where you went and once the track is overlaid onto a map you can record all your travels.

I dont want a $600 that is going to tell me how to get somewhere. For what it is worth I dont want a $300 system that is going to tell me how to get somewhere. It is extremely difficult to get lost in new zealand, even if you take the long way round it doesnt really matter. I just like a record of the trips.

Storm
19th July 2007, 16:56
Also, you will deliberatly take the way no one has any clue to where it goes anyway. :bleh:

(According to the dirty rumours that is)

NordieBoy
19th July 2007, 18:35

And if you've been taking photos you can get them geotagged and they show up on the map where you took them.

Meanie
19th July 2007, 19:00
all comes down to that money tree. By all means if you can get one for under a couple of hundred bucks I am all in. Otherwise I will go back to one of the other solutions. I dont really care about maps. Bloody hard to get lost in new zealand.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:Where is Marton:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

cowboyz
19th July 2007, 21:04
got there in the end didnt we. Had more fun than if we had map too.............

avgas
20th July 2007, 14:29
Its funny reading this thread for me - as i find that bikes/riding are the one thing in life i want less technology in. Hearing you guys talk about linking GPS to your rides and photos.....makes me realise how i must sound to my family when i talk about cellphones, computers etc.
I still don't like digital speedo's / rev counters.....but i love all the new laptops, cellphones etc
There is something wrong with me.

NordieBoy
20th July 2007, 16:41
I like my old cellphone.
It just lets me do the basics...
Phonecalls, texts, photos, videos, sound rec, e-mail, internet, games, diary, scheduler, mp3s, movies.

Just the absolute necessities of life.

Meanie
21st July 2007, 11:06
I like my old cellphone.
It just lets me do the basics...
Phonecalls, texts, photos, videos, sound rec, e-mail, internet, games, diary, scheduler, mp3s, movies.

Just the absolute necessities of life.

:rofl: Whatever happened to the simple way of life

NordieBoy
21st July 2007, 12:41
:rofl: Whatever happened to the simple way of life

I've got it as a waypoint on my GPS somewhere.
I can u/l it as a Google Earth KMZ file if you need it.

Meanie
21st July 2007, 12:57
I've got it as a waypoint on my GPS somewhere.
I can u/l it as a Google Earth KMZ file if you need it.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

insane1
25th July 2007, 14:01
anyone know if a navman n40i will work on a bike namley my burger 650 exec would like to see where iv"e been and gone can get one but at $899 it"s not cheap ideas anyone plse point me in the right direction.

sinned
7th October 2007, 16:10
Garmin eTrex Legend with handlebar mount.
4 years of everyday use mounted on the bars of the Nordie without issue.
Bought another one a few monthe ago.
Fast enough for realtime navigation and can load an entire Island of BrentC's searchable street maps no problem.
On the DR it's wired into the 12V.
Last one was new-in-box for $245 off TradeMe.

I see there are a number of Garmin models on Trademe. I am looking to buy a unit for the bike and want one with map capability. Any advice on what to buy appreciated.
I will be selling my Navman 520 as it works well in the cage but is not suitable for the bike.

NordieBoy
7th October 2007, 16:24
eTrex Legend my newer one has a better backlight and firmer battery clips.
Cheapest way to go mapping.

johnnyflash
7th October 2007, 16:35
I see there are a number of Garmin models on Trademe. I am looking to buy a unit for the bike and want one with map capability. Any advice on what to buy appreciated.
I will be selling my Navman 520 as it works well in the cage but is not suitable for the bike.

heheh, whats wrng with it on the bike, Ive run over 7000kms with the ICN520 on the bike, works a treat..

NordieBoy
7th October 2007, 19:24
Waterproof?

johnnyflash
7th October 2007, 19:36
Waterproof?

Like I said, its done over 7000kms, some in bloody heavy rain but it is behind a screen, I did on occasion stick a ziplock bag over it but in most wet situations it only got a few spits on it while travelling.. I do ofcourse remove it when parked both for security and rain..
They aint specified as waterproof though, its one Ive had in the cage for a couple of years so stuck a ram mount on and it does the multiple trip scenario real well.. powered from the bike electrics and a earpeice in the helmet..

NordieBoy
7th October 2007, 20:00
The eTrex range are waterproof to 3m? for 30min.
40-50000km of everyday riding so far.

johnnyflash
7th October 2007, 20:13
The eTrex range are waterproof to 3m? for 30min.
40-50000km of everyday riding so far.

heheheh Ill keep that in mind when I next do a submerge run :lol: I assume u tested it to a 3 metre depth.. I can just picture the norkel cruising at 120kms....Seriously though, if I didnt already have the navman 520 I wouldnt have chosen that particualr model.. but I dont have any interest in knowing where ive been.. :lol: I just want to punch in a town and or landmark.. ie Mobil Tauranga.. Restaurant Matamata ..etc etc and it takes me there.. no computers to work out routes...
So if there is a model built for bikes that does multiple trip, full road mapping with all the fixed Speedtraps loaded, Points of Interest, Petrol stations restaurants, Hotels..then thats going to be my next one..

xgnr
9th October 2007, 17:43
So if there is a model built for bikes that does multiple trip, full road mapping with all the fixed Speedtraps loaded, Points of Interest, Petrol stations restaurants, Hotels..then thats going to be my next one..

Garmin Zumo 550 is what you want. Designed for bike use with bright screen , big buttons etc. Price at PBTech is $1416.00 Incl GST and Navigator 3 SW. Expensive but brings a lot of extras like MP3 player, bluetooth for phone, waterproof, security mounts blah blah

Cheers

Stu

P38
9th October 2007, 20:31
Yeah check out the Garmin Zumo 550, it's got all the bells in whistles and was designed for use on a bike. It also comes with a car mount too so double useful.
Shop around for a price
http://www.logicalchoice.co.nz/Default.aspx?g=7cc0888d-9955-48a2-9b59-c4dd190c9b7a&deptid=124&prodid=19208

$1320 from this Trademe internet trader. keep in mind this unit was over $1800 a few months back so will probally come down more soon.

Team it up with a Nolan N-Com bluetooth helmet for the ultimate wireless system.

Cheers
P38

NighthawkNZ
9th October 2007, 20:57
DSE have them for about $1600

http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/470b41db002c3cf02740c0a87f330676/Product/View/D7999

tommorth
10th October 2007, 18:23
how acurate are the speed readings from a gps?

NordieBoy
10th October 2007, 18:36

Very .

sinned
10th October 2007, 18:43

In theory they are incredibly accurate but on the road rely on the speedo if you don't want to get booked. The speedo responds immediately to speed change whereas most gps don't.

The gps is an excellent means of checking your speedo accuracy if you sit on a steady speed on a straight flat section of road. The gps will provide a very accurate average speed but over a distance. Going up or down a hill the gps will read a lower than true road speed.

NordieBoy
10th October 2007, 20:07
In theory they are incredibly accurate but on the road rely on the speedo if you don't want to get booked. The speedo responds immediately to speed change whereas most gps don't.
Only an issue when you're accelerating heavily.

Going up or down a hill the gps will read a lower than true road speed.
But still more accurate than a 10% out stock speedo.

A GPS is good enough to get through a WOF as your speedo though.

cowboyz
10th October 2007, 20:17
mine can be set from 1 sec to about 15 or 30 seconds so depends on what it is set to to how accurate any given moment is. Also when reading tracks it takes an average from point A to point B so max speed might be 101 but track will read 99 as you may have been doing 98 at one point and 101 at the next.

tommorth
11th October 2007, 16:13
my speedo is more than 10% out 135 to keep up with traffic on the mtr way might as well not even be on the bike

Xaria
11th October 2007, 16:44
My partner and I just bought two GPS's from Dick Smith, the Garmin Quest. Poor mans version of the Zumo. Originally $1000, we got them for just over $250 each.

They do maps and auto routing, water resistant, (submersible for 30 min - apparently, we won't try it out) Can be battery operated to wander around town, has lots of shops and other POIs including gas stations to upload.

It doesn't come with MP3 player or photo viewer and bike mount is extra but it is going to be really useful for tiki touring and for trying out new little roads. Mine will just live in my tank bag and with a 20hr battery life I will get a cigarette lighter attachment on the bike in the next wee while, but it isn't a huge priority. My partner is going for the ram mount and cradle option (from ramsolutions.co.nz) on his sport bike.

Looking good so far so hope it all works out.

inlinefour
11th October 2007, 17:05
Why?

Had a GPS for awhile, what a POS, rather a good map any day.

NighthawkNZ
11th October 2007, 17:08
Why?

why not... im a geek :)

NordieBoy
11th October 2007, 17:30
My partner and I just bought two GPS's from Dick Smith, the Garmin Quest. Poor mans version of the Zumo. Originally $1000, we got them for just over $250 each

Looks like a good deal.
Pity they don't have any at DSE here though :(
I'd sell both my Legends to get one.

NighthawkNZ
11th October 2007, 17:38
Looks like a good deal.
Pity they don't have any at DSE here though :(
I'd sell both my Legends to get one.

Do you know anyone in any for the following cities... Takapuna, Karangahape Rd, Sylvia Park DSE PowerHouse, Manukau DSE PowerHouse, Papakura, Thames, Gisborne, Hastings, Palmerston North, DR Electronics - Feilding, Upper Hutt, Porirua, Kapiti, Featherston Street, Johnsonville, Queenstown, Invercargill. ;)

Since I am a VIP at DSE I only paid $268 and as Xaria said she got a one that was returned and serviced for $250

NordieBoy
11th October 2007, 17:51
VIP and Trade Cards.
Might drop in tomorrow and see if they'll get one in for me - doubt it but it's worth a try.

breakaway
13th October 2007, 07:19
Why?

Isn't it just easier to look at the map in real time with relation to where you are instead of stopping and locating yourself on a physical map?

NordieBoy
13th October 2007, 09:01
Isn't it just easier to look at the map in real time with relation to where you are instead of stopping and locating yourself on a physical map?

He may not have had a mapping GPS.

inlinefour
14th October 2007, 15:07

I was too busy looking around to bother looking at a teh tech gaget, never felt the need for it as I never felt lost. I undertand the need for some to have these things, but I guess I'm showing my age having a map and the compass in my watch...

skelstar
15th October 2007, 11:39
... and the compass in my watch...
If you can find someone who thinks an electronic map showing you were you ACTUALLY are, then you'll find someone else who thinks that a compass in a watch is just ridiculous :weird:

I like gadgets :yes:

xgnr
15th October 2007, 21:07
I love this thing.

Had it out for the Grand Challenge and the only thing missing is a temperature gauge. Its perfect otherwise. (oh and it cant make me a decent coffee)

Warr
15th October 2007, 21:20
Garmin Quest
On your guy's recommendation I tracked down the poor mans Quest!! fron DickSmith. I only got it on Friday about an hour before we left to do the GrandChallenge. So didnt know alot about it other than battery life was ~ 20 hours. So on the Sat before the ride I turned it on and when got home downloaded the 17 hours of trip it had recorded. Sweet.
It did all that without any headings in it. So am well pleased. Just need to experiment a bit with it so see what other uses I can find for it

xgnr
19th October 2007, 17:53
Garmin Zumo 550 is what you want. Designed for bike use with bright screen , big buttons etc. Price at PBTech is $1416.00 Incl GST and Navigator 3 SW. Expensive but brings a lot of extras like MP3 player, bluetooth for phone, waterproof, security mounts blah blah

Cheers

Stu

Got the price wrong sorry it was $1320 incl GST yay

Dave-
22nd October 2007, 20:35
GPS?

real men navigate by the stars.

by day point the hour hand at the sun then north is at 12 o'clock...you do have an analogue watch?

NordieBoy
22nd October 2007, 20:58
Watch?
Oh, you mean the time function on my GPS?

xgnr
23rd October 2007, 12:02
GPS?

by day point the hour hand at the sun then north is at 12 o'clock...you do have an analogue watch?

Hey thats a new one. I was always taught point the "12" at the sun and True north is the point between the hour hand and the 12. Of course you then need to adjust for magnetic variation and Daylight Savings time.

So, if the sun sets at 6.00pm, then north will be 180 degrees the other way?? Wont that be east or near enough to it? hmm need to check this one out.

then it gets problematic at night when its raining.... hmmm think I'll stick to the GPS when on the bike yay

cowboyz
23rd October 2007, 20:49
when I was thinking of "cost effective" gps solutions I wasnt thinking over a grands worth........

Meanie
23rd October 2007, 20:52
when I was thinking of "cost effective" gps solutions I wasnt thinking over a grands worth........

Why not.... i heard you were loaded :gob:

cowboyz
23rd October 2007, 20:54
Nah, I dont make a builders wage

NordieBoy
23rd October 2007, 20:56

eTrex Legend classic.
Mapping, waterproof, handlebar mount, small, <$250.

Buy mine :D

cowboyz
23rd October 2007, 21:00
I ended up buying a etrex legend. $220 Works fantastically. Then I got my hands on mapsource and some auto routing maps that I can plan trips with and send the routes to the gps. Even though the gps doesnt do autorouting on the unit it sticks to the road pretty good if you map the route out on an autorouting map on the pc first. I have done 2836km on the GPS so far.

manwithav8
27th October 2007, 09:13
I ended up buying a etrex legend. $220 Works fantastically. Then I got my hands on mapsource and some auto routing maps that I can plan trips with and send the routes to the gps. Even though the gps doesnt do autorouting on the unit it sticks to the road pretty good if you map the route out on an autorouting map on the pc first. I have done 2836km on the GPS so far.

Where did you pick the gps up from mate?

pritch
27th October 2007, 09:58
Cowboyz

Where did you buy yours?

I see they can be had from Amazon for less depending on the freight but I don't think I'm going to be in the USA anytime soon so their maps wouldn't be much help. Can the local data be downloaded here?

DSE sell a serial type cord for all but $100. Do you need one of those as well?

So many questions...

cowboyz
27th October 2007, 10:59
I got mine from trademe. "aquired" the mapsource program and got thefree autorouting maps from gps forums and then a beta commerical autorouting map from a kiwibiker. Got the system working good now.

Still have a couple of issues. The maps that are loaded on the GPS are quite old. I have tried updating them but gps doesnt like my maps. Have to do some more work on that. The upside is making a route on the pc then uploading it to the gps it works fine and follows the road and tells you where to make turns. But you cant ask the gps to take you somewhere on its own.

I got the serial cable with the unit. Couldnt do without it. The cables can be had on trademe for around $50

ynot slow
27th October 2007, 12:36
Had a look at dick smith site.dse.co.nz,have quite a few and seem priced ok,also has software as well,some garmin for about $250 ish,then extra for mapping software.

cowboyz
27th October 2007, 14:05
dont pay for mapping software. There are free downloads at garmin.com for trackmaker which is ok for recording purposes and I can give you an overlay NZ map for it or I can give you mapsource and NZ maps for nothing. (mostly legit)

ynot slow
27th October 2007, 14:27
Cheers for info,not sure if I'll grab one,next time in shop will look at them,a few on trademe and seem ok to.Don't relly need a gps as people seem to tell me where to go,mostly fuck off from my daughter,a few years ago lol.

Like the idea of averages etc,not so much for map capabilities,but thats ok when taking pics,have just put a fuji digi cam with 10x lens away for xmas or sooner,last of that model was $595 for $299,so can take good pics with film and digital cameras

skidMark
27th October 2007, 14:44
cost effective:

pyrocam
27th October 2007, 19:38
I just tested out some of my new equipment from work. It is data logging only. works pretty well I'd say
will be neat to look at the stuff after trackday. just have to make sure its not on on the way down :whistle:

test in google earth:
http://www.pyrocam.com/files/images/routest.jpg

Daffyd
5th November 2007, 15:51
GPS?

You've got that wrong. I'd hate to be lost with you. You'd just get loster and loster!
Point the imaginary line from the 6 to the 12 at the sun... North is halfway between the 12 and the hour hand. (During daylight saving use the line from 7 to 1)

Blue Thunder
8th November 2007, 19:45
I am also interested in what is used on motorcycles. I have a Navman map based GPS that is fine in the car but can't be operated while riding. Also it doesn't record top speed, average speed, etc.
So what works best on a bike?

Think its a Navman ZUNO550 designed for bike use . aterproof and shockproof:clap:

Viferpilot
8th November 2007, 21:11
For the past 4yrs I've been using a GARMIN GPSmap76C for sports touring into never before hinterland of NZ. This is an all-round top-end handheld. Waterproof, floats, resilient, good for sailing, tramping, ... and motorcycling. Colour. OK sized screen. Sunlight display. Large number setting. Good battery life (2xAA about 20hrs). OK sized buttons ... so you can change settings wearing gloves. Enough memory to store detailed coloured maps - I prefer to use topographical maps. I mount it using a mountain bike cradle which fits to modified stem mount (I attached a 30mm stub; like a short handlebar) - the GPS rests nicely above the steering head, between top of tank and instrument panel. It can be easily slipped out of its cradle too ie to secure it. When I'm not navigating (using waypoints displayed on the map screen - to whatever map scale you desire) it is my preferred speedo (set on large number display), trip meter, ave. moving speed calculator, etc. This particular Garmin model is now superseded by a model with improved antennae (for improved reception under tree canopy, in canyons, etc ). It's also my alarm clock, tide predictor, etc ... ie a fully featured GPS like this offers much more than the more common 'car navigation' models.

Swoop
8th November 2007, 21:19
cost effective:
That is far too complex for Disco Dan.:rofl:

JimBob
9th November 2007, 04:41
My 2 cents worth
I tried most of the Garmin models mentioned on this thread. They all work. I was in the states and one of the guys at work lent me his zumo. After a couple of days I bit the bullet and bought one.The zumo even showed me how to get to walmart.
On the bike it is great, big bright screen, big buttons, works with gloves etc
I originally thought the graphics were a little "cartoonish" and lacking in detail but they actually work really well. A quick glance and you have the relevant information, ie street name, which way the road is going or whatever. With my other GPS I used quite often have to stop to have a good look at the screen.
Like anything you get what you pay for.
cheers

NighthawkNZ
9th November 2007, 06:15
Think its a Navman ZUNO550 designed for bike use . aterproof and shockproof:clap:

You mean Garman Zumo550?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchType=all&searchString=zumo&x=22&y=14&searchRegion=100&type=Search

xgnr
9th November 2007, 06:49
You mean Garman Zumo550?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults.aspx?searchType=all&searchString=zumo&x=22&y=14&searchRegion=100&type=Search

Garmin Zumo 550, they also make a 450 but that does not have bluetooth (cheaper of course)

Check PB technologies, they stock them and don't charge you extra for the NZ map unlike those guys on trademe

Viferpilot
16th November 2007, 00:04
With yer GPS you can travel into foreign territory possessing a degree of 'location awareness' that'll compete with most of the locals - you know where the intersections will be, and can be well prepared before you see them for real. Try traversing NZ on all the 'alternate' routes ... well off the main routes, 3rd level linking roads etc ... it's real convenient to not need to stop to mangle a paper map or road atlas. I use the tracklog to locate where I took my pics. My GPS is more accurate than my speedo ... it's my odo, speedo, ave moving speed indicator, etc. A growing catalogue of old tracklogs and waypoints is a trip planning resource for crafting further adventures. If you need roadside assistance ... there's no location ambiguity ( for you at least ! ).

pritch
8th December 2007, 08:11
Someone I know is looking at a Zumo 550. He has been quoted prices up to $1600.

Last night in an idle moment I took a look at Amazon.com and they are selling them for somewhat over half that. OK there'll probably be GST to pay and the freight won't be cheap but it would still be a lot cheaper than the $1400 to $1600 he's being quoted.

The big concern for me is the software as I don't want to know how to get from Dallas Texas to Six Toes West Virginia. How easy is it to obtain the appropriate software and install it. I'm not a physics lecturer or an IT professional so it'd need to be reeeeeeal easy for me to get interested.

ducatijim
8th December 2007, 16:57
Someone I know is looking at a Zumo 550. He has been quoted prices up to $1600.

Last night in an idle moment I took a look at Amazon.com and they are selling them for somewhat over half that. OK there'll probably be GST to pay and the freight won't be cheap but it would still be a lot cheaper than the $1400 to $1600 he's being quoted.

The big concern for me is the software as I don't want to know how to get from Dallas Texas to Six Toes West Virginia. How easy is it to obtain the appropriate software and install it. I'm not a physics lecturer or an IT professional so it'd need to be reeeeeeal easy for me to get interested.

I have a Zumo 550. After just 3 weeks its gone back to the agents as it won't turn on anymore, it was however, doing everything a rider could want once equipped with the appropriate software.
I bought mine in Oz, for $1500nz with CNA preloaded( Garmin program = city navigator australia) I have loaded for free, autorouting maps for NZ.

If you buy in NZ it will come with CN NZ loaded and then you will have to pay for most overseas maps at about $290ea for oz, north america or europe.

I bought overseas as I intend to use it extensivly in oz and didn't want to pay for extra maps I would have needed had I bought it here in nz.

As I, and most motorcyclists in nz, know better than most nearly every road in this country, I personally can't see the use for 1 of these here in NZ. Invaluable however for travelling in a strange country.

NighthawkNZ
21st December 2007, 15:05
Here is our Garmin Quest, mounted using Ram Solutions ram mounts

breakaway
21st December 2007, 15:26
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.8545

xgnr
21st December 2007, 17:10
As I, and most motorcyclists in nz, know better than most nearly every road in this country, I personally can't see the use for 1 of these here in NZ. Invaluable however for travelling in a strange country.

wow... with all due respect... I have been traveling NZ SI and NI for 30 years and I still don't know them all.

Don't forget the MP3 player and all the other cool stuff it has eh

Ask ZAPF about how cool the functions are when finding local gas and accommodation. Invaluable on our last trip South was the ability to work out time/distance and estimated time to the next city or way-point. Uncanny how accurate it was.

Oh an BTW a GPS was very useful in finding a suitable quick turn off the main road...:Police:

Cheers

Stu

ducatijim
23rd December 2007, 16:29
wow... with all due respect... I have been traveling NZ SI and NI for 30 years and I still don't know them all.

Stu

OOps, that did seem a 'little' arogent didn't it?? Not wot I intended at all. Sorry.

NighthawkNZ
23rd December 2007, 16:42
Ask ZAPF about how cool the functions are when finding local gas and accommodation. Invaluable on our last trip South was the ability to work out time/distance and estimated time to the next city or way-point. Uncanny how accurate it was.

Oh an BTW a GPS was very useful in finding a suitable quick turn off the main road...:Police:

The thing I am finding useful with mine is that when in maps mode, I can see the corner ahead of time (a good 500 to 1km) and it helps with my judgement for speed of that corner especially those tight blind corners...

The other day saw an (unmarked) blind corner coming up... a quick glance at the GPS and I could see it was a very tight corner and thought up 120kph might be a bit fast for it... :doh:

And as stated... fuel stops, even coffee stops... as well as when the leader missed the turn off... quick check on the GPSS and said that the the road doesn't really go where we want it to so we did back track...

LoC
23rd December 2007, 17:14
Bein the poorest Maori in the world I had to settle on the tatty little Navman S30 But I can see it and me bein best friends tho. Just type in where, and if you wanna go the fastest or shortest or most scenic route your there! or ya can even turn it off and get lost the good old fashion way!

NordieBoy
23rd December 2007, 19:25
Bein the poorest Maori in the world I had to settle on the tatty little Navman S30 But I can see it and me bein best friends tho. Just type in where, and if you wanna go the fastest or shortest or most scenic route your there! or ya can even turn it off and get lost the good old fashion way!

Waterproof?

LoC
24th December 2007, 00:22
Nope (I wish) But she goes fine if ya got a decent waterproof tankbag!

NighthawkNZ
24th December 2007, 00:31
Bit of glad wrap and a rubber band... oh wait thats for something else... :doh:

xgnr
24th December 2007, 08:34
OOps, that did seem a 'little' arogent didn't it?? Not wot I intended at all. Sorry.

ha ha thought that you didnt quite mean it in the way it came across. I agree tho that a GPS wont provide huge amounts of info on the suitability or not of a great Bike road. I would refer to a decent topo map for that.

The ability to share good routes is very useful. I have a number of them as "tracks" when I have followed others and can convert to "routes" and be able to find/follow them again.

I am off to UK for work in Jan and looking for a UK and or Europe Base map (Garmin... any one got one they want to sell??)

Merry xmas eh

Stu

Viferpilot
16th January 2008, 19:06
... I can see the corner ahead of time (a good 500 to 1km) and it helps with my judgement for speed ...

I do it too, but :(I've learnt to be damn cautious ... just remember the GPS map is typically only 'representational' and reality somewhat different ... then there's all the other variables ( diesel, roadkill, camber, cage drivers/trucks, the biker coming the other way without a GPS !! )

NighthawkNZ
16th January 2008, 19:13
I do it too, but :(I've learnt to be damn cautious ... just remember the GPS map is typically only 'representational' and reality somewhat different ... then there's all the other variables ( diesel, roadkill, camber, cage drivers/trucks, the biker coming the other way without a GPS !! )

I don't rely on it, I just use it as 'one of' my tools to help me, other tools being road signs, my sighting the corner and judgement etc...

in real tight twisties I don't look at the GPS at all and only my skill of judging the corner... but in glances looking at speed etc the GPS has helped

Gixxer peter
16th January 2008, 19:16
I mount a Garmin legend c on the busa, Is ok for navagation and gives you a real speed ( the buse is 7kph out at 100kph)and distance travelled, average speed ETC.
Just another fun accessory like the V one.

Pretty cool for long trips completly waterproof.

Viferpilot
18th January 2008, 20:30
On my Honda when the Garmin GPSmap76C is recording 100kph the bike's speedo will be up at least +105kph. When I'm keeping a sharp eye on pace I use the GPS ... besides the display, and its position makes it easier to glance/read.
Thought ... for the soles who think they've reached nnn kph, but only 'cause they rely upon their wonky speedos. :ride: There's a likelihood the margin of error increases exponentially. Wonder if that's why some reprimanded speedsters think they got off 'lightly' ie perhaps their speedos were reporting a higher penalty than the lasers/speed cameras (or whatever) actually measure.

Viferpilot
18th January 2008, 20:34
Yep ! Doing same. Just another ( handy ) input to add to all the other 'scanning' goin' on.