PDA

View Full Version : Denver law on loud pipes broken… by police!

Bob
19th July 2007, 00:37
A new law introduced in Denver, Colorado to reduce motorcycle noise looks like it is being flouted… by the motorcycles of the local police force who are enforcing it!

According to attorney and local biker Wade Eldridge, the law states limits noise levels to 80 decibels from 25 feet, but tests conducted by the city on police motorcycles found sound levels at redline of 81.3 decibels and 81.7 decibels.

Eldridge is trying to use this as a lever to get his client, another biker, off of a charge of exceeding noise limits. Local authorities have responded, saying that police are unlikely to charge a motorcyclist for exceeding the limit by a few decibels.

"I think that is a specious argument from an attorney who is trying to get his client off," said Ellen Dumm, spokeswoman for the Department of Environmental Health. "He's trying to find some fine hairs to split."

Police Capt. Eric Rubin added "We're not really looking for motorcycles that are at 83 or 84 decibels," he said. "The ones that tend to get the attention of the public are considerably higher in decibel rating than that."

sAsLEX
19th July 2007, 04:18
Police Capt. Eric Rubin added "We're not really looking for motorcycles that are at 83 or 84 decibels," he said. "The ones that tend to get the attention of the public are considerably higher in decibel rating than that."

Do they realise, I know they don't, that a 3dB increase equates to double!?

The Lone Rider
19th July 2007, 09:28
Do they realise, I know they don't, that a 3dB increase equates to double!?

That depends on what DB scale you are using, but on a general basis 3db is technically a double. BUT.. the human ear perceives 3db change as a very small amount. You in fact, I believe, need a 10db boost for something to actually SOUND twice as loud.

Curse them logarithmic scales!

avgas
19th July 2007, 10:33
yep what dyers said.
below 70db is bullshit anyhow, also it depends on the type of sound. As the XR6T hits a peak of 108dB with standard exhausts. And its not exactly a loud car.

Sanx
20th July 2007, 01:19
Kinda depends where you're measuring it, surely.

Jog-Insanity
20th July 2007, 05:07
loud pipes are gay, ban them all

Jantar
20th July 2007, 11:04
That depends on what DB scale you are using, but on a general basis 3db is technically a double. BUT.. the human ear perceives 3db change as a very small amount. You in fact, I believe, need a 10db boost for something to actually SOUND twice as loud.

Curse them logarithmic scales!

No, it doesn't matter what scale you use. Its still a logrithmic measurement.