PDA

View Full Version : Pulling wheel bearings.

car
20th July 2007, 17:23
Paint on my ZXR750H2's rims is in a sad, sad state, and I was thinking of stripping them myself and giving them a nice coat of white Hammerite smooth myself. (We do have Hammerite down here, don't we, and Nitromors for stripping?) Unless, of course, someone can point me to a handy chap who'll blast them and powder coat them for two buttons and a magic bean?

I've never removed bearings from a motorcycle wheel, only old VWs, and I've never pulled bearings with the intent of replacing them.

1) Is it possible or sensible to remove the bearings and reinsert them, or should I just bite the bullet and replace them outright?

2) If it is sane to remove and replace them, what's the advised method? In the past, I'd just have got a hot air gun on gentle heat, heated up the wheel around the bearing and then drifted them out. Doesn't sound like a good plan if I want to re-use them.

TIA.

Chris.

imdying
20th July 2007, 17:37
Wheel bearings are cheap, buy new ones. Get double sealed ones (ZZ), better than stock :yes:

Conquiztador
20th July 2007, 17:47
Wheel bearings are cheap, buy new ones. Get double sealed ones (ZZ), better than stock :yes:

U pay around $10 - $20 for them.

car
20th July 2007, 18:32
U pay around $10 - $20 for them.

In that case, they're coming out with the big 'ammer. (Note to self: buy big 'ammer.)

Many thanks, guys.

T.W.R
21st July 2007, 10:03
If you're going to remove the bearing from the wheel always replace them :yes:They don't take nicely to side impacts involved with removing them from their seats. Drift them out, clean up the bearing seats and use the old bearing as a drift to locate the new ones in their seats.

Max Preload
22nd July 2007, 00:33
If you're going to remove the bearing from the wheel always replace them :yes:They don't take nicely to side impacts involved with removing them from their seats. Drift them out, clean up the bearing seats and use the old bearing as a drift to locate the new ones in their seats.

Given the price, I agree they are cheap to replace. But you can reuse them as long as you don't strike the centre race with any blows when removing them.

I also have to disagree with the suggestion of using the old bearing as a drift. Given the centre race is still in situ on the old bearing and is against the new bearng centre race, one hit intended or hopefully otherwise will be transferred to and can damage new bearing centre race severely shortening it's service life.