PDA

View Full Version : Biking in NZ

bgd
17th July 2003, 00:24
Hi folks,

Just found this site.

Biking doesn't seem to be big in NZ, well in Chch at least. Was out there for 3 months over summer and could count the number of bikes I saw on 2 hands. Is this the impact of lower car prices or was I just in the wrong place?

Slim
17th July 2003, 07:24
With the South Island on their back doorstep, I imagine all the bikes were out & about in the countryside. :D

There's plenty of bikes up here in the North Island. :)

wkid_one
17th July 2003, 07:47
I hope you didn't try and count the bikers on your two hands while you were riding?

Duke of Rogan
17th July 2003, 09:02
Originally posted by bgd
Biking doesn't seem to be big in NZ, well in Chch at least. Was out there for 3 months over summer and could count the number of bikes I saw on 2 hands.

did you get around the island?
I'm planning to spend atleast a couple of weeks down there next summer and try and cover most of the countryside, and hope to meet a few others doing the same. :niceone:

wkid_one
17th July 2003, 10:45
I'd be keen for an SI trip in summer

Coldkiwi
17th July 2003, 12:34
probably cheap imports and perceived cold weather (british riders, don't shoot me down!).

I saw heaps of bikes at wanaka and up the west coast two years agao when I went to the Warbirds air show. that's inspired me to do my own trip down there so if Wkid's going I may well join him!

Duke of Rogan
17th July 2003, 12:52
I'm 99% certain to go next summer, my Dad owns a chalet/resturant setup in Mt Somers, so I'll probably base myself out of there. I havent seen the place yet, but I know there's plenty of tent space (paddocks :) )

I'd love to get to the warbirds show in Wanaka too, what date was that on Coldkiwi?

wkid_one
17th July 2003, 13:57
Count me in - you guys can pick me up on the way through - also gives you aplace to stop over in Wellington for the night.

georgedubyabush
17th July 2003, 19:31
i think it's around easter wknd for warbirds. same as goldrush hillclimb. least it was when I did the dunners thing

bgd
17th July 2003, 22:02
I was mainly around Chch and it was probably the lack of bike commuters that I noticed. That could be down to the fact that Chch doesn't yet have the traffic problems we have in the UK and (from the sounds of it) Auckland. I got into biking as a way to beat traffic congestion.

On that trip I wasn't on a bike, however as I will be spending more and more time out there I can see a NZ based bike in the near future.

Marmoot
17th July 2003, 22:38
Boyd Honda guys (Hamilton) does South Island run (2-week trip) annually. Give them a ring to see what month they're going to go. I think it is around February.

wkid_one
18th July 2003, 08:12
Sounds good - keep us posted

Pickle
18th July 2003, 22:12
Hi bgd

The South Island of NZ has some of the best bike riding country in NZ, so the reason you never saw any bikes in Christchurch was that they were all out enjoying the roads.

My wife & I have travelled a lot in the South Island & usually take a trip there every year. Next year we are planning to go to Invercargill via the Catlins ( Dunedin to Invercargill via the coast). The West coast would have to be the best, next time you are in NZ splash out & rent a bike you will enjoy it more:niceone:

wkid_one
19th July 2003, 09:21
Yeah - certainly some of the best road surfaces for riding I hear.

Pickle
19th July 2003, 09:38
Hey Wkid

the surfaces are great BUT really hard on tyres, especially the top of the South but:whocares:

Pickle
19th July 2003, 09:41
Oops forgot to say that the roads have a lot of quartz chip which is a bit of a worry first time you encounter it, but it is quite grippy even in the wet:niceone:

wkid_one
19th July 2003, 09:45
That is a quandry for me then - if I run the tyres I usually run - I will be looking for a tyre store half way through the journey?