PDA

View Full Version : I Passed...WOOHOO

kazza_nz_05
21st July 2007, 15:02
Well I am official Biker Chick now.

I sat my Basic Handling Skills test yesterday (20th July) with RoadSafe in Petone. :scooter: I had so much fun, it was great learning how to ride and handle a bike safely and correctly. I thought it was going to be a challenge to change gears. The whole idea of flicking your boot upwards for the next gear baffled me a bit, but it was easy as. I must admit I did stall a couple of times - Only cause I was so excited that I could do a exercise and then I let go of the clutch lever...LOL...Typical blonde moment. I must say that Andrew Templeton is a great guy to learn from and overall it was well worth the money spent and a great day.

I sat my Learners Licence today in Wellington becuase the Lower Hutt AA is not open on Saturdays (which is stupid). Passed that as well, took me back 12 years when I sat my drivers licence to begin with. But I must say the questions were a lot easier this time round....LOL...Only downfall is that my licence that I get will be the colour of the Motorcycle Learners even though I have a full Car Licence - I can live with that. I was so excited that I am now legal....:rockon:

More news - Went to Maidstone Yamaha and brought my bike from Big Mac (Great guy to deal with) - 2007 Yamaha Scorpio SX4 $3750 (ORC included). I am eagerly waiting for Monday to roll round cause thats when my bike is delivered. Unfortunately might not be able to get out on it and practice this week cause I am working 6 days straight...Might get as far as the driveway and thats it. :Punk:

A question for you guys/girls - Is it necessary to have a tool kit with your bike? If yes, what simple tools do I need?

Mystery
21st July 2007, 15:14
Congratulations Kazza :niceone: the Scorpio is an awesome learners bike :scooter:

tri boy
21st July 2007, 15:18
Yay Kazza:Punk:
Bit your buzzing like a buzzy thing.:yes:
Enjoy. Re toolkit: The boys at the bike shop could see you right with a basic kit.

Usarka
21st July 2007, 15:18
i'd expect a brand new bike to have a tool kit. check under the seat before you go buying anything. i recommend a puncture kit, they are bloody useless wastes of space and money until u need it.

kazza_nz_05
21st July 2007, 15:23
Usarka - We did check under the seat. Not sold with one, Big Mac said that we didn't really need one. And I am not too fussed much when just learning - Bike is under warrenty and if I break down - The AA Roadside people can come to my rescue..LOL

janno
21st July 2007, 15:25
Hey congrats!!

You are going to have so much fun on your new steed! A tool kit is a must - as long as you know how to use the damn stuff. Otherwise you might as well have a spare lippy under there for all the good it will do you. (Just speaking from personal experience here.)

Get someone to show you fixes for the basic stuff that is most likely to have you stuck on the side of the road. It's good to know about your own bike and will save you having to wait hours for the AA to turn up.

ZeroIndex
21st July 2007, 15:31
Well done, have fun on the roads...

gijoe1313
21st July 2007, 15:36
:niceone: Glad to hear you are riding two wheels of freedom soon! Congrats on passing your test and getting into it!

Have you geared yourself up as well? I bet you have! :yes: Anyway, the Welly crew will see you right and get you riding better in no time! :rockon::scooter:

merv
21st July 2007, 15:41
Hi and glad to hear you are about to get riding. I find it hard to believe a Japanese bike doesn't have a toolkit. If its not under the seat if it lifts, is there a sidecover you can pop off or is it in a tube with a rubber end on coz usually there is one somewhere. Also you should get an owners manual with it and that will tell you where the toolkit is.

I see this one advertised in Aus http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Yamaha-Scorpion-Z225-2007model_W0QQitemZ140139471563QQcmdZViewItem and it says toolkit included so Big Mac didn't hold out on ya with the toolkit did he?

Geez look at the price they're asking over there!!

babyblade250rr
21st July 2007, 15:47
congrats on passing both the bh and licencing!! well done be safe and enjoy riding your new two wheeler:yes:

EnzoYug
21st July 2007, 16:07
Always good to have another on board!
Enjoy your riding and remember to keep the shiny side up.

As for tools, it depends on how 'into it' you're going to get and also how much tail space you have. I reckon you should always carry your papers (ie. field manual, service book etc...) in a sealed plastic bag along with a separate bag/pouch for tools.

I carry: 3 hex /Allen keys (my bike only has 3 different sized bolts)
Gerber-tool / multi-tool (a decent swiss army knife might do)
Phillips / Cross-head screwdriver (should come standard)
Hex socket tube(?) with holes in the end so you can turn it with a screwdriver (should come standard)
15mm Electrical / plumbing tape (will hold a busted wing mirror on or help secure a flapping numberplate)
A double ended spanner or two (should come standard)
...and maybe a bungee cord or three (if spare permits it can be very useful)

There's not much you can't fix (it don't think) with that. And if you can't fix it with that kit then it's probably beyond fixing on the side of the road* anyway.

*Unless of course you want to buy an old '58 Norton TT Manx - which, according to my father, will never ever die. If needs be it will simply throw you underneath itself to cushion the crash. Sadly they don't make 'em like that any more.

Trudes
21st July 2007, 16:17
Well done Chick!!:rockon::scooter:

Scorpygirl
21st July 2007, 16:23
Awesome to hear Kazza. I hope you enjoy getting out and practising!!! :scooter:

Little Miss Trouble
21st July 2007, 16:26
Yay thats awsome Kazza, great that even more girls are getting into it:sunny:
Take it slow and make sure you've got the basics down while your running your new baby in, then once you confidence is up you should be past the point of having to be extra precious with the engine.
My only extra to add on top of whats already been said as far as tools goes would be a torch with battries in a ziplock bag since i managed to run out of gas in an area with no streetlights and had a few minutes of freaking out before it dawned on me :slap:

Dodger
21st July 2007, 17:35
Congrats! :)

Re toolkit. Things I carry under the rear seat (The Hyosung has quite a good storage compartment)

Duct Tape
Cable Ties
Torch
First Aid kit
Tool Kit
Rag

But the best tool you can have is a Cellphone :)

kazza_nz_05
21st July 2007, 20:11
I will get hold of Big Mac and ask him about the toolkit. I msged the seller about the scorpio on Ebay whether the toolkit was with the bike when he brought it. The guy said he had to go back to the store he brought the bike with cause they forgot to put it in there??

Have messaged a few people on here who own scorpios as well to find out..

DuLuX
22nd July 2007, 09:48
Congrats! I am jealous! I really wanted a scorpio but went the cheaper route and got the Ginny instead - glad i did or i'd still be saving but the scorpio is so damn sweet!:)

Gratz and see ya out there soon!

BigRed2007
22nd July 2007, 11:04
Just join AA breakdown and a mobile phone :)

btw I know how you feel passing that leaners + basica handling test. Its like you dont wanna get of the bike:P

Awesome work keep it up :P

kazza_nz_05
22nd July 2007, 11:49
Hey BigRed. After I sat my BHS I was so stoked I passed. I rushed home and told my Hubby all about it. I think he thought I was too excited. But as you say I wanted to get on a bike straight away and keep practicing cause I had so much fun...

EJK
22nd July 2007, 21:47
hey congrats lol

Yeah, it has a toolkit under the seat.

Have fun with the new scorpio :)
Its really fun bike :)

Last week i tried to go on a 80kph motorway, but i came off at the nearest exit because the wind at 80kph almost blow me and my bike :(

Becareful out there :)

Wannabiker
22nd July 2007, 22:26
Tools...Well I would certainly put a torch in the tool box.(I have a head mounted torch in each of our 3 bikes) Head mounted torches are generally smaller and leave both hands free to use tools, or push to side of road...then use cellphone. If something breaks Murphs law says it will be the thing you dont have a tool for anyway!

Also consider a flouro safety vest under the seat too. Handy if caught out in dodgy weather or misty foggy conditions which we sometimes get up the valley. Most un-cool I know, but hospital food more un-cool. They're quite cheap from NZ Safety or similar outlets.

As your bike most likely doesnt have a fuel guage, get into the habit of re-setting the trip meter when you fill up, and seeing how far you can get before the fuel reserve light comes on...this will save any embarrassing moments on the side of the motorway. (This is the most common breakdown)

Ross and Juliette:scooter:

Nasty
23rd July 2007, 06:29
Kazza well done .. is a great feeling eh :yes:

Rosie
23rd July 2007, 08:27
Go Kazza! Have fun getting out there on your new bike. Those Scorpios look pretty sweet.
Practise makes perfect! :scooter::scooter:

AliJax
23rd July 2007, 12:57
Well Done Kazza, I'm going for my test this Saturday & then to shop for a bike (fingers crossed an SX like yours for starters).

Well Done

kazza_nz_05
23rd July 2007, 20:08
Arrived tonight. All nice and shiny. Hubby was like go and take it for a ride and get some milk...LOL...I was like no thanks its too dark. Only practice in the day time for now... Fits in the garage perfectly too. :)

merv
31st July 2007, 21:53
Did Big Mac find the toolkit for it after all or not?

kazza_nz_05
1st August 2007, 17:42
Yeah Merv, I have got the tool kit.

BMW
1st August 2007, 17:44
Yay Kazza:Punk:
Bit your buzzing like a buzzy thing.:yes:
Enjoy. Re toolkit: The boys at the bike shop could see you right with a basic kit.

Enjoy ya riding! Lets see ya out on that bike!!

agreed- ask them for a basic tool kit.