PDA

View Full Version : Anyone after a rear handbrake kit?

slopster
22nd July 2007, 18:21
I recently put together a rear handbrake setup for my bike. It works really well but I'm not co-ordinated enough to use it so its really wasted on me (seemed like a good idea at the time though!). Basically copied the purpose made kits you see selling in the states. It consists of a front brake lever mounted upside down to work on the left, 1.45m of braided SS brake line and a junction valve which basically attaches to the rear master cylinder where the reservoir normally feeds into and lets you bolt a brakeline to it. The junction valve is is cnc machined from aluminium and universal for most bikes. You mount the brake lever under the clutch lever and you can still use the rear foot brake like normal. On my gsxr mounting the lever meant shorting the grip slightly and moving the clutch lever a little to the left. To finnish it properely you will need to make a mount for the brake reservoir on the lever cos the mount is upside down but I just cable tied it in place.

Heres what the bits cost.
Second hand GSXR1000 master cylinder with no lever (I borrowed the lever off another bike for this project but gsxr levers are only $25). $45
Junction valve $50
Brake line $115
Total $210

Make me an offer round $200.
Heres a link from ebay where I got the junction valve from with some photos:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Handbrake-Adaptor-rear-hand-brake-stunt-junction-valve_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35592QQihZ007QQit emZ170131660107QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

larriken
22nd July 2007, 19:02
Can you get some photos up. I could be keen.

slopster
22nd July 2007, 19:31
I smashed my camera last week but I'll see what I can do

moT
23rd July 2007, 17:55
keen to trade for a reg/rec for a vfr400

slopster
23rd July 2007, 18:12
WTF Tom you talking about a rectifier for your VFR why the fuck would I want one of those?

moT
23rd July 2007, 20:07
WTF Tom you talking about a rectifier for your VFR why the fuck would I want one of those?

i dunno it wld look good on a shelf and its wortyh about $250 if you dont want that umm i got a few super corsa front tyre v low ks lots of tread for touring?

moT
23rd July 2007, 20:08
is it the thumb rear brake under the left handle bar? wld it fit on my vfr?

scracha
23rd July 2007, 20:26
is it the thumb rear brake under the left handle bar? wld it fit on my vfr?

I thought you were running from johnny law to far off gebrovnia?

slopster
23rd July 2007, 21:08
Not a thumb brake its like a normal front brake about 30mm below the clutch lever and you just reach under the clutch to grab it. It will fit any bike but you may need to move the controls around to fit for instance I had to shorten my left grip about 10mm.

moT
23rd July 2007, 21:27
I thought you were running from johnny law to far off gebrovnia?

why the hell did you think that?

scracha
23rd July 2007, 23:27
why the hell did you think that?

Could be the text I received on Saturday evening saying something along the lines of "Tom here, see you later Scotsman, I'm off to London". Was your other mobile number too, not your normal one.

moT
24th July 2007, 18:23
Could be the text I received on Saturday evening saying something along the lines of "Tom here, see you later Scotsman, I'm off to London". Was your other mobile number too, not your normal one.

Shh be quiet about that i cant let anyone know!

slopster
29th July 2007, 15:41
Heres some pics I took of it

slopster
29th July 2007, 15:50
couple more

slopster
13th August 2007, 22:22
I've put it on trademe now:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=113536780