PDA

View Full Version : Biking in a cage driver world

SpankMe
17th July 2003, 16:21
Ever get the feeling that as bikers we are treated like some racial/religious minority by bloody cage drivers? That we are not treated as real road users. Ever get that comment that one day you will grow up and get serious and buy a car? That because we a small in number and sometimes divided (see <a href=”/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=518”>Harley Riders</a> thread) that we can be pushed around by the bloody cage drivers in government, local councils and companies?
<table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"> <tr> <td width="50%" align="center">:angry2:</td> <td width="50%" align="center">:angry2:</td> </tr></table>
Why am I pissed at cage drivers at the moment? (Well, more than usual) Just another example of the above. At work we have 8 bikers that park here. Not all at once because some are shift and others fair weather riders, but we can have up to 5 in at once. As long as I have been here we have been given the end parking spot where we can fit 5-6 bikes. Recently the parking situation at work is getting congested with double parking and people stealing others spots (I wont go into how psycho I get when a car steals our spot) so some butt dragger (my other expression for cage drivers) has in his infinite wisdom informed the bikers of the following.

“<I>Motorcycles currently enjoy the use of car park 11. As of now this privilege must now cease, as this park has been allocated to someone to use.</I>”

Improving the parking situation by changing a place where up to 5 people can park into a place where only 1 can? I replied as such, but I may as well smack my head against a brick wall. Typical fucking butt dragger attitude. 1 cage driver is worth more than 5 bikers.

You all know that I only ride bikes. Always have, always will. Doing so in a cage driver world is a lifestyle choice for me. A lifestyle I will defend to my dying breath.

wkid_one
17th July 2003, 16:26
It is like the attitude you get when ttalking to car drivers when you tell them you are a motorcycle rider and they sell 'ohhhh, whenever I see bikers coming up the middle of the lanes I want to open my door or move over!' - what the hell is that about.&nbsp; Just cause we have the foresight to ride a bike to avoid the traffic, they are envious and hate us all....nice

However,&nbsp;I must note that many car drivers move to the left of the lane to let you pass without having to cross the yellow line (not that that is an issue anyway - but the thought is nice).

SpankMe
17th July 2003, 16:47
Yes, I often come across drivers who move over as I come up behind them. But I think its more a case of them scared of their precious car being hit/scratched than being done out of courtesy. It sometimes seems like a panic reaction, especially if they don’t notice you until your right beside them.

Coldkiwi
17th July 2003, 17:16
yeah.. its funny how the ones that move over are normally the ones that don't need to!! I need sod all room to lane split and I rarely find myself waiting for a car to shuffle over (sometimes happens).

I sympathise SpankMe... they removed motorcycle parking for about 20 bikes in front of the engineering school while I was studying there so they could fit 2 or 3 cars in.... who they could make pay for it. Wanking accountants!

Motu
17th July 2003, 17:20
Do you work for a large company mate? like,over 10 employees.In my 33 yrs in the work force I have worked for 3 large companies,totaling 21 months service - the crap that goes on is unbelievable and makes you laugh if you can stand back and look at it - but unfortunatly we seem to get caught up in others petty lives....let them have their way and you are a wimp,fight them all the way and dig a bigger hole for yourself,good luck.

BigB
17th July 2003, 19:23
I'm lucky at my work we have undergord parking and there's lots of spaces free for bikes to park.:D and no hassles about paying for it.

But having said that, last week I parked the bike in the normal place, up against a wall that is open to the outside. Over the last month they have been painting the building and the painters have been putting a cover over the bike :D :D well done I think.

Till last Wednesday, had seen the painters and a cover over a car but didn't think anything of it, BIG mistake when I come to go home what do I find. My bike covered in white flecks of paint all over the riight side, to say I was F***ing pissed off is putting it mildly:angry2: :angry2:

Luckly they have agreed to pay to get it fixed (only $240 est from local panel beater) but as to when this is going to happen who knows!!

:done:

Redstar
17th July 2003, 19:33
The good news is our numbers grow the fastest growth in registrations is our group. per capita percentile. so the future is bright.

Marmoot
17th July 2003, 22:44
The future will be even brighter IF THEY ARE WILLING TO LOWER THAT GODDAMNED ACC LEVY ON THE REGISTRATION!!!!!

Pah.....acc bastards..........Our ACC levy is almost higher than the whole car registration fee

:angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: :argh:

Mitch
17th July 2003, 22:51
Auckland council need to take a good long hard look at Melbourne and rearrange accordingly, has to be one of the most motorcycle friendly places i've ever seen!!

Only time I ever really noticed cars moving over for me as I passed was on my way to Wanganui last christmas, about 15 of them one after the other getting right out of my way, I couldn't believe it and waved to them all saying thanks, wasn't until i'd got past the lot that I looked in my mirror and saw the cop with his lights on, he had been following me for about 14 km's he reckoned :o&nbsp; very lucky for me he had a sence of humour!!!!!!!!

&nbsp;

Mitch
17th July 2003, 22:53
Hey Marmoot I agree with you BUT at least a small amount of it has gone to some motorcycle awareness advertising.&nbsp; That's worth paying for!!!!!!

Marmoot
17th July 2003, 23:01
Ah, good point Mitch. BUT, the thing I'm ranting about is the RISE, not the levy itself :(
The ACC Levy before the rise was good enough. Still much, but I guess it covers everything.

But, when the ACC started losing money to sex-abuse claims, horse-riding accidents, bicycles, skateboards, DIY-ers, etc, etc, they can only put it on the minority group that is auditable and easy to intimidate: Motorcycles!

Why? Politicians won't defend us, they don't care. Society won't be angry: they don't care. Motorcyclists won't revolt: they are too small and is still divided into factions.

Silent minority. Pah....and my friends are calling me skeptic.....I can't believe it.

Duke of Rogan
17th July 2003, 23:39
Originally posted by Mitch
Hey Marmoot I agree with you BUT at least a small amount of it has gone to some motorcycle awareness advertising.&nbsp; That's worth paying for!!!!!!

I like that radio ad where a mother is reading her son a bed time story that goes something like : "one day the little motorbike went out to the motorbike on his motorbike to get a motorbike, motorbike, motorbike..."

did the LTSA or ACC send out any info to motorcyclists before the levy increase?
We received the rego thing in the mail for my wifes car this week and its has a booklet that trys to explain why the ACC levy has increased it for "petrol vehicles". It claims that because of "the extended life expectancy of poeple with serious injuries caused by accidents, due to improvements in healthcare" the ACC requires more money (or atleast something along those lines)

it is pretty shit that we have to pay so much more, however it's still considerably cheaper than medical insurance, although you get what you pay for... (or in this case not)

Kwaka-Kid
17th July 2003, 23:46
im all keen for a big biker posse to take over parliament! :P

SPman
18th July 2003, 07:54
Well,if I see a bike coming up, in heavy traffic or on the highway, I move over a fraction, mainly to let the Biker know that

1 - Ive seen him

2 - I'm quite happy to let him past

Most mates do the same thing - but then, most of them ride as well, although some nonriding people do exactly the same . However, it can get a bit scary when, as you are passing, they suddenly swerve to the left, like a startled green party voter. Most off putting!

wkid_one
18th July 2003, 08:09
I can somewhat agree with the increased ACC levy - as we tend to have more expensive and longer lasting personal injury after an accident - however - it seems to ignore the factors contributing to the accidents - poor roading and car drivers?&nbsp; We seem to bear the cost through ACC levies of these factors!

Car drivers don't get injuried pulling out in front of a biker as many times the bike driver can dump the bike before hand - yet it is a 'bike accident' and recorded as such - ARSE!

I would love to see some of our tax money go&nbsp;in to QUALITY roading.&nbsp; Like for example a motorway between Auckland and Wellington - like most developed countries have.&nbsp; Fuck knows why you would have a CD player in a car in NZ&nbsp;- coz the bloody thing jumps every 2 seconds due to change in seal, bumps, subsidence, patch repairs etc.&nbsp;

And they wonder why we fall off - with a contact patch the size of your palm - you are kinda betting on&nbsp;a consistent road surface!

&nbsp;

Motu
18th July 2003, 08:57
Dunno - the roads are becoming more boring,requireing less input from the driver,they can be distracted by more things and just plain go to sleep.Driving high powered cars with too many widgets to count,they are far more capable than the nut behind the wheel.

Takes two to have a multi vehicle accident - if you guys can't get off your high horse and accept some responsability for your part...I can only see you having more.

Saw a car/bike head on in the Hunua gorge a few weeks ago - the car was sitting in the middle of it's lane,the sportsbike had hit it in the front and was propt against a pole.dunno how the rider was,I didn't stop.Coming back later I checked out the scene - I could see where the bike had dropped it in his lane,then slid over to the other side of the road and hit the car - I hope he was ok.

So what happened? anyone know about it? lets guess eh? he was going to fast and fell off - rider error.There was oil on the road and he hit it - rider error...shit mate,the Hunua gorge - there's a bloody quarry in the middle of it...ride with ya eyes open will ya!

I don't want to pay ACC for another riders mistake,but I will,he's one of us - just wish he had a few more brains.

Duke of Rogan
18th July 2003, 09:01
I would love to see some of our tax money go&nbsp;in to QUALITY roading.&nbsp; Like for example a motorway between Auckland and Wellington - like most developed countries have

imagine all those empty backroads if all the traffic was on the motorway! wahooo!

I hate it when a cage driver thinks he's doing the right thing and pulls to the left, but gets so far that the left wheels start flicking shit up in your face!
maybe they are doing it on purpose...? :angry2:

wkid_one
20th July 2003, 08:52
My thoughts exactly Duke.....good motorway equals less cars....

Yes Motu - Motorbikers do cause accidents - but this has nothing to do with the ACC levy - it is based on the cost and duration of the accident - not the fault.&nbsp; However I agree that rider error is a contributing factor in some instances - including my own accident last year - and you could argue Nuanh's this year.&nbsp;

However - road conditions have already been identified as the hidden factor in many NZ accidents (car and bike) over the last 20 years.&nbsp; How many western countries allow vehicles to cross their 'motorways' leaving shit on the road?&nbsp; We are underdeveloped in the roadind quality in NZ. Signage is inconsistent, road surface is variable.&nbsp; Drive the road from Wellington to Ohakune - and see how many patches in the surface there are.&nbsp; Hazards (gravel etc) are not pre-warned.&nbsp; Vehicles/Livestock are allowed to cross deteriorating the road surface.

Take Nuanh's accident (mine was entirely rider error)- we are still arguing over whether there was signage - fuck - it should have been as clear as day - but it wasn't.&nbsp; Yes there is a responsibility for riders to be aware - but you should be able to assume (to some degree) that the integrity of the roads you are riding on are safe and consistent.

Prime example - Roading NZ will remove the 'Gravel' signage when it is safe for a car to pass through - with no consideration for a bike....leaving pea metal in the middle and edges of the road.&nbsp; How many times have people struck un-signed pea metal in their travels?

&nbsp;

Kwaka-Kid
20th July 2003, 09:50
hmm&nbsp; i&nbsp; dunnno if we can blame the road much... Everyone rides to the roads conditions right? and we have some good roads im sure... the problem seems to be the lack of experience/knowledge or somthing when people come to poor roads, weather it be just a shit road, or grave l, or new chip, or whatever... Take aussie for example.. they might have better roads then us (i dunno) but that just means the motorcyclists will be taking advantage of that and riding to the limits of those roads and still come off etc..i guess im playing @ the angle of riding to the roads condition, and if you give most motorcyclists a really perfect road or somthing... they generally speed up and ride nearer the limits of that peice of tarmac... however its when we change to crappier quality roads that people dont seem to drop the speeds Enough... I.e how many motocycles has Sceinic Drive claimed? i was in Mt Eden listening to another sorry buggers storey of just "Slipping" right off the road.. i think that road is more a thing of peoples experience, and what tthey choose to do with advice given, because ive always heard everybody go on about sceinic drive and how leaves make it slippery, and the dark of the trees helps cultivate moss on road, and altho u might not see alot of it, its damn slippery... so yeah, i generally ride way way slow, possibly 50% what i could be doing, i dunno, and on that road im really not keen to find out where the limit is, because of the stories ive heard its not the most forgiving road in NZ.

bikerboy
20th July 2003, 15:05
I agree with KK to a point.:eek:

As road quality improves so will speed to a point. The newish motorway link to Orewa is a good example. Most cars could travel safely at 150kph if the police didn't patrol it, however most drivers would only drive around 120-130 kph.

The assumption that the better the road the faster people drive/ride is part of the mentallity the police and government use to keep the limits low. They presume most if not all people are idiots.

I truely believe most accidents on the roads happen due to three causes, one- inappropriate speed for conditions( that is not necessarily exceeding the posted limit), two- poor roads, either maintenace or design, and three- over demand for road capacity ( too many cars having to use the same one road to get anywhere).

These three things create impatience and that creates risk taking and that cause people to out drive their abilities. The gov't doesn't want to do anything about driving skills, road improvements, or additional roads.:done:

scumdog
20th July 2003, 15:48
Help, I have sent two replies to this thread and the rffing gizmo has "eaten" both, is there a problem with the site???? - it's driving me (more) nuts.
Sent an e-mail message to the moderator but same thinge.

wkid_one
20th July 2003, 16:19
I haven't had too much dramas posting

I agree BB and KK - riding for the conditions is fine - however - one should be able to place a little degree of faith in the roading conditions being consistent is all I am saying.

bikerboy
20th July 2003, 19:32
:eek: , I thought I was agreeing wkid 1. Now it must be cold med withdrawal. :p

Marmoot
20th July 2003, 20:29
Totally missed my point about the increase in ACC levy argument.

What I'm saying is, it is not fair to just blame motorcyclists for the ACC increase when in fact so much money was spent in sex-abuse claims, horseback accident which is not ACC levied at all, DIY accidents which is not ACC levied at all, stupid children on bicycles which are not ACC levied at all, and only a small ACC levy increase in car registration so they would not lose votes!

The problem is not the increase. The problem is the politics that get mixed up in the increase.

bikerboy
20th July 2003, 20:50
I totally agree.

:niceone:

What can we do about it though?:argh:

SPman
20th July 2003, 21:03
[What can we do about it though?]

Several options spring to mind, but I dont think they would be of much practical good, involving, as they do, the words, "wall" and "bullets"!:):)

scumdog
21st July 2003, 02:13
Been trying to get something on this thread but except for the "help" message above the 'puter spits the dummy when I try to send and tells me I am not logged on (which I had done so 5 mins. B4)
Anyway, 5th go, I worlked at a woolen mill and they were biker friendly, let me bring my sporty into the wool preparation area where I worked, meant (1) the bike was sheltered, (2) I could keep an eye on it and (3) as it was always 26 degrees starting my scoot at 6am when there was a 5 degree frost was easy, - mind you I froze my tits off on the 40km ride home.

Kwaka-Kid
21st July 2003, 05:17
scum have you got your IE setup propery with cookies enabled etc etc?

wkid_one
21st July 2003, 06:55
Agree with Marmoot

Motu
21st July 2003, 13:29
Originally posted by Marmoot
Totally missed my point about the increase in ACC levy argument.

What I'm saying is, it is not fair to just blame motorcyclists for the ACC increase when in fact so much money was spent in sex-abuse claims, horseback accident which is not ACC levied at all, DIY accidents which is not ACC levied at all, stupid children on bicycles which are not ACC levied at all, and only a small ACC levy increase in car registration so they would not lose votes!

The problem is not the increase. The problem is the politics that get mixed up in the increase.

10yrs ago I had the ACC payouts for Taranaki - percentages for claims and how much in total - after the big contact sports was horse riding accidents....motorcycle accidents were 16th on the list - and there was one motocross clain in that 6mth period.The statistics are there plain as day for the ACC,for them it's how to levy the charges....we are a prime target.

I'll stand up and pay my share for any kid that needs hospital treatment - but not for dumb adults.

Have a talk to a bunch of shelias that ride horses - they have all had a fall and broken bones at some stage,talk about them paying for it and you are in bitch city - shit,they are mean spitfull creatures to deal with when pushed - us off road types have had a few run ins with them.

wkid_one
21st July 2003, 13:50
I don't have an issue with Horseriding - having a partner once who was an instructor.&nbsp; What I have an issue with is the fact Riding Centres and Riders pay now ACC subsidies.&nbsp; One of the highest ACC claiming sports in NZ is netball (fingers/knees and ankles) - again with no premiums....

I agree with Motu - we, as per my previous post, have fewer 'number of accidents' than car drivers etc...however, because the government can in fact seperate us to tax us (via registration) - we are singled out.&nbsp; Whereas sports and pasttime injuries go without a contra revenue collection.

However, the are alway going to be idiots - whether it is motorcycling or table tennis&nbsp;- which the masses will subsidise - I just begrudge us paying for other ACC claimants outside of motorcycling.&nbsp; In an ideal world - we would pay our premium - it would stay in a pool -and if at the end of the year the total claims was less than the pool - we would all get a refund (not I am blatantly ignoring the reverse - because it is government subsidised).

A social service should never be run to make a profit.

Motu
21st July 2003, 17:51
Poor old Norm Kirk would cry if he saw what has happened to the welfare state he created - the whole thing was to self funding - but two things happened - following governments couldn't keep their hands off the cash pool....and we have created several generations who have sucked the welfare system dry - they have never worked a day in their lives,and nor did their parents,even when they did work they end up on ACC,preferably with a lump sum payout.
:o sorry,you must of hit a nerve :D

Yamahamaman
21st July 2003, 18:05
Originally posted by Motu
Poor old Norm Kirk would cry if he saw what has happened to the welfare state he created - the whole thing was to self funding

I thought I was the only one who had these thoughts. :cool:

bikerboy
21st July 2003, 18:20
Self fund? I've been here for over ten years and all I have seen is tax, tax, tax.

This is the only country in the developed world where people pay tax in advance of earning it with an assumed minimum 10% annual increase!!!!

Mr. Kirk was either an idiot or a dreamer, UNLESS
his NZ had a lot more people working versus those collecting benefits. Now there are three people collecting for every one working. Self funding doesn't have a hope or a prayer of working now. :done:

(No disrepect intended)

Marmoot
21st July 2003, 22:29
I have no problem with horseriding. Heck, I don't even have problem with paying for kids that fall off. I don't mind my ACC levy being used in other than bike crashes.

What I mind is the government telling people we have to pay ACC levy because we are the biggest claimants while the others only get a fraction of the increase simply because the government is afraid of losing votes.

It's not the increase. It's the way they say about the increase.

But, then again, what can we do? Nothing.

BigB
22nd July 2003, 07:38
We all hate the ACC levy's but all car drivers should be made to ride a bike at some point.

In the past 2 days I've had 3 near misses, not 1 my fualt!! courier van pulls out in front of me on round about just missed him and the other two were people tail gating:angry2:

Going home last night coming up to greenlane off ramp, move from centre lane into slow lane doing about 90 kph. Next thing I know the car in fron is hitting the picks big time, so I follow suit and we come to a stop. As I stop a 4x4 is coming to a stop on the verge beside the car in FRONT of me!!(I'm in the slow lane) you can imagine what was going though my head F******K. If he hadn't swerved to the left I would have been well and truely stuffed between the 2. Next comes the anger:angry2: :angry2: suptid tin top driver where the F did you get your licence!!

So our levys go up because if I had been caught between the 2 I would have substained serious injuries in a motorbike accident.

go figure

Antallica
22nd July 2003, 09:26
Yeah I've had a few near misses and 2 crashes in my 5 months of riding.

Some lady stopping right in the middle of a roundabout just staring at me, she should have given way to be but stopped as a possum would at my lights.

Another dude I was driving alongside (2 lane highway), he indicated and just started merging into my lane, he didn't even bother to look or anything. Had to move right close to the kerb before he noticed. (should have gotten his no. plate)

But I guess Whangarei isn't as full of butt pipes like Auckland. (classic jaffa cage drivers) - no offence to the bikies :D

Kwaka-Kid
22nd July 2003, 10:53
yep

the way it goes in auckland... Change Lane, Indicate, Look (to see if you hit a bike off)

wankers. i was hit off like that luckily @ low speed, picked up the CB, kick started her, and rode home with a nice big scratch down the side of the car, dickhead, would have pounded him if i wasnt 60somthing kg and only 5foot 10 back then.. and he was at least 20stone. damn, wasnt worth getting my head beaten in, told him briefly what i thought and rode home.

bikerboy
22nd July 2003, 11:18
Here's my two cents worth.:D

First, I agree with all of the above,good points well stated, however the basic problem is the no fault system combined with two few paying in versus those that get to collect.

Motorcyclists are targeted because the cost of care is higher compared to car drivers when an accident occurs, sorry but it a fact. The no fault system does not allow them to charge drivers more even if they cause most our injuries.:o

Then you have all these leisure groups as mentioned above that incur costs above the average person but are not targeted as a group. This is, as previously stated, because it would be a vote loser.
:argh:

So how to get more money from fewer people? Raise the costs for the unpopular activities (voter wise), hence motorcyclists! :angry2:

Solution: Get active, let the Government know we are unhappy and will
vote accordingly in bulk. Make as much noise as often as posible at
every opportunity. :done:

Coldkiwi
22nd July 2003, 12:45
Originally posted by bikerboy
Make as much noise as often as posible at
every opportunity. :done:

roger that! So... who wants to ride down to parliament and leave their mufflers at home? Maybe i'll book&nbsp;in a wellington detour after the coldkiwi rally...

&nbsp;

wkid_one
22nd July 2003, 12:51
It is more to do with the governments ability to identify, segregate and then target specific groups.&nbsp; As sporting and leisure activities are largely completed in a persons own time with NO way of identifying they are doing it unti the accident - their is no way to obtain revenue - unless ACC becomes user pays..

We are targeted because the government can collect revenue from us easily via our registrations....these other groups don't have easy sources of revenue collection - ie how to you tax a pedestrian?? You hope their employer pays the ACC component of their tax each wage cycle - but this is indirect.

The issue is - that in the eyes of ACC - we are the high risk activity that can be taxed....not necessarily the highest risk activity.&nbsp;

The easy solution&nbsp;- user pays - but what an uproar that would cause.....

I would love to see a breakdown of total tax collected from motorcyclists versus total payouts.....I would still guess there would be a shortfall.

&nbsp;

Hey Spanky?&nbsp; Were you going down Nelson St and 5pm last night and looping to go back in to Hobson?- if so - bike looks and sounds wicked.

Motu
22nd July 2003, 12:51
Originally posted by bikerboy
Self fund? I've been here for over ten years and all I have seen is tax, tax, tax.

This is the only country in the developed world where people pay tax in advance of earning it with an assumed minimum 10% annual increase!!!!

Mr. Kirk was either an idiot or a dreamer, UNLESS
his NZ had a lot more people working versus those collecting benefits. Now there are three people collecting for every one working. Self funding doesn't have a hope or a prayer of working now. :done:

(No disrepect intended)

Norm Kirk came from a generation of Kiwi's with a strong work ethic - he built his own house,using concrete blocks he made himself with a mold he made himself - his biggest mistake was probably that he thought everyone else was just like him - sorry Norm,we weren't.

Kwaka-Kid
22nd July 2003, 12:57
we aint? :( damn.

Duke of Rogan
22nd July 2003, 14:09
Originally posted by wkid_one
Hey Spanky?&nbsp; Were you going down Nelson St and 5pm last night and looping to go back in to Hobson?- if so - bike looks and sounds wicked.

I was around there about that time last night going home from work, but you would of known it was me 'cos of the damaged fairings :(

SpankMe
22nd July 2003, 14:19
Originally posted by wkid_one

Yep, sounds like me. Those Yoshi cans give the bike big dogs bollocks :niceone:

georgedubyabush
22nd July 2003, 18:37
Originally posted by Antallica

But I guess Whangarei isn't as full of butt pipes like Auckland. (classic jaffa cage drivers) - no offence to the bikies :D

sure it is, every summer during migration, each one towing a boat too.:D

bikerboy
22nd July 2003, 18:46
Make the ACC levy more obvious to the basic tax payer. Deduct it at the end of the years last paycheck or add it to the amount of tax to pay on the form.

As for the others, tax their equipment, horse supplies, sports equipment, etc., at time of purchase.

If people see it, they may be more responsible or vocal.:done:

wkid_one
23rd July 2003, 10:15
Or you could get real draconian and get them to write a cheque out at the time of the accident!!

lol - ..'right m'am, I am just going to give you some pain relief...but before I do that, can I please have your credit card details?'......

Coldkiwi
23rd July 2003, 12:33
Thats pretty much what parts of the US are like... compulsory medical insurance because its the insurance company that pays for the ambulance to come pick up your sorry backside off the road. No medico insurance, no pain killers.

NZ ain't so bad....

SPman
23rd July 2003, 12:44
But what happened B4 ACC?

You had a crash, the ambulance picked you up and took you to hospital.....just like now. :confused:

wkid_one
23rd July 2003, 12:47
I know how much money I have soaked up in ACC costs in my life - and buggered if I would have wanted to pay for it.&nbsp; With all the sports I played - the injuries were countless and regular -

Couple of ops done&nbsp;
two more pending.
Dentistry from rugby accidents
CAT/MRI scans
Ambulance rides and the list goes on

None of this was from a motorcyle accident - all from sporting accidents - where no ACC premium has been recouped from me - scary really...

I think tho - Medical Insurance is a must - I pay it - so do begrudge paying ACC premiums at the same time.&nbsp; If you can prove you are paying Medical Insurance - your ACC levy should be reduced?

Big Dog
23rd July 2003, 14:24
What amuses me is all the times that these accidents are caused by the very people who would not need acc to cover their costs.

The second day I had my Bike a Mercedes pulled across without a second look then slammed on his anchors exactly in the middle of my path nowhere to go either end of his car.

Think pissing down with rain.
Think going downhill on Khyber Pass.
Think 2 up approx laden wheight 250kg.
Think back wheel at least 6inches of the ground.
and what does this mercedes mercenary do?
Flip me off, and lean out the window just long enough to see that I was over 6ft before thinking better of it and taking off.:gob:
I have done about three stoppies since then. None intentional.
one more 2up and all because a $60K tin top thought their car not suffering from abuse from the road, gutters etc., was more important than my life.:angry2:
Tell a tin top and you get a big:whocares:

But I still think it is my job to keep the ambo's out of work not the other drivers.:niceone:

Almost daily a tin top tries to kill me but I'm still here, and still givin it a go.

When all is said & done I don't mind the increase as I too have used my share of acc (push bike vs multiple cars) I just object to the malicious targeting of a minority.

heres to keeping the black bits down.:roadkill:

bikerboy
23rd July 2003, 16:12
Not quite CK.

In America, if you have insurance they take you to a lovely state of the art hospital and you get the best care right away.

If you don't have insurance then you get taken to a public hospital were you get only as much state of the art care as required to keep you from dying in the hospital after waiting hours in a que depending on serious ness of injury and then they quickly kick your ass out as soon as possible, no charge unless they can find a way to get money from you: loans, credit cards, etc.

Been to the ER at Middlemore?, not too very different really.:confused:

wkid_one
23rd July 2003, 16:19
Yeah BB - Middlemore took 4 hours to reduce my shoulder when I dislocated it - talk about pain.....

Spanky - the bike looked good...nice choice....

Urban Terrorist
23rd July 2003, 16:45
I hope like hell we don't follow the American system to it's full extent.
In one case I'm aware of, a guy on a bike was hit by someone who carried the minimum possible insurance. When it was all added up, his own insurance company picked up the rest, then turned around and sued HIM to recover their losses. Truely a screwed up system.
There is a mention of it in his rant http://www.blackletter.org/featured%20articles/Therapy%20forThe%20Proletariat.htm
l

Coldkiwi
24th July 2003, 12:57
my apologies for being a little misinformed... but having read urbans post, i'd almost rather i was right!! :(

Duke of Rogan
24th July 2003, 14:10
I had a re-read of the LTSA "indicator" newletter this morning that came with the "rego due" notice for my wifes car a week or so back, and I realised that we as motorcyclists are now being stung twice for ACC levies! both at the pump and when paying registration.
It states:
"While there will be no increase in the motor vehicle fee levy for petrol driven vehicles the petrol excise duty will increase from 2.3 cents to 5.08 cents per litre of petrol"
then there is more:
"Owners of non-petrol driven vehicles (such as diesel) will pay an additional ammount, on average a 19 percent increase, on their motor vehicle license fee levy to reflect their share of the levy increase"

WTF! do they think all motorcycles run on diesel?

:ar15: :confused2

MikeL
24th July 2003, 21:13
Before you get an attack of the warm fuzzies thinking that the driver has been so kind and considerate by pulling over to let you pass, just imagine what the average driver actually sees in his mirror. A (usually) powerful bike, ridden by someone who must obviously be physically strong to control such weight and power, wearing (often) black leather and heavy boots, and a helmet that hides everything except the eyes, and inevitably recalls Darth Vader... And that logo on your jacket, from a distance, looks a bit like a patch... They're not being kind, mate, they're just scared sh*tless!

(Or at least some of them are. Admittedly others see you as
a challenge and a provocation... :p )

PZR
24th July 2003, 21:52
I dont know about you lot but I find a lot of people move over to the left when they see me coming up behind them. If they do I give them a wave to say thanks when I go past. Its common courtesy if nothing else and maybe one person less will hate motorbike riders in the future or perhaps they will look more carefully for that handsome fellow in those oh so flattering leathers next time they pull out of an intersection.
Be nice and people will be nice back (most of the time anyway):love:
And if they are one of those tormented souls :brick: that feel the need to threaten a law abiding :Oops: bike rider with their big steel cages that restrain them in their narrow lives, then we should forgive them brothers and sisters (but follow them home and kick the shit out of their cars when they are'nt around. Effing so and so,s!!
Seriously though.....thank em when appropriate, some deserve it as not everyones an arsehole

PZR
I deleted this as I thought Id put it in the wrong place so Ive now resubmitted it again as Im a confused computer user. What the hell

MikeL you are probably right Im just to nice for words

Marmoot
24th July 2003, 22:37
I'm damn happy enough if THEY DON'T ACCELERATE when I'm passing. No need to move left, just DON'T GODDAMN ACCELLERATE.

What?
25th July 2003, 10:46
I have been travelling a bit lately, and have spent my time on the boring SH1 south of Hamilton studying drivers' behaviour. I noted that blokes are more likely to move over and let you past than are women. Also, older people are more likely to move over than younger people. And drivers of cheaper, older vehicles are more likely to move over than drivers of flash cars. So the fifty-ish bloke in a 1980 flat deck ute will almost certainly pull left to let you past, whilst the twenty-five-ish blonde bimbo in daddy's Mercedes probably won't even realise you are there.:angry2:

PZR is right - I wave a "thanks" to those who let me by.

And Marmoot, I know just what you mean...:eek:

Dave
25th July 2003, 17:00
Its all about Karma-I had a 4WD move over and let me past,I gave them a wave and blasted off.5 KM later i had a chain break and leave me stranded-nice people i waved to,stopped and picked me up and gave me a lift home.It pays to say thanks.

FOOTNOTE: thanks Mt Eden M/cycles,when i say i want a one piece chain,that means one without a joiner, you f#*&ing stupid pricks.

Coldkiwi
25th July 2003, 17:21
more commonly known as a riveted link... did you ask for a riveted link dave? (I ask in innocence, not to wind you up)

Marmoot.... you ride a 900cc supersport bike... Whats the problem if the car accelerates!? yes its a problem if I'm in a laden 323 travelling down to the mountain trying to overtake on the open road, but I would barely notice them accelerating on the 600! what are you doing? as for doing it while lane splitting.. i avoid spending time next to cars... i'd rather lane split faster than slower because the longer i sit in someones blind spot, the more likely I am to get hit (has happened twice when I was going too slow).

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

&nbsp;

Dave
25th July 2003, 17:24
more commonly known as a riveted link... did you ask for a riveted link dave?

And then some, I gave them full explaination that I brought it to them so that it was riveted,coulda done the clip link myself see!

bikerboy
25th July 2003, 17:33
:Offtopic: I know but....

Hey What, noticed you ride a BMW, don't you secretly lust after a BMW helmet going real cheap?

Sorry guys, I desperate !

Marmoot
25th July 2003, 22:30
CK: 2 problems.

1: when I'm on the main highway without radar and with 85 demerit points in my pocket, I tend to stick to speed limit. If I'm trying to pass a 80kph car, the only chance I have is on the straights. But, the problem comes when the car accelerate to 100kph on the straights as well, making me needing too much time to overtake it, which then discourages me from doing it. But when it reaches corners again, it slowed down to flippin 80kph again. Why can't they keep to 80 and let me pass on the straight?

2: especially when I'm in another car.

P.S.
don't tell me how I should gun my bike on the main highway. All speeding tickets I have was on the main highway. Hence, I don't gun it anymore :(

scumdog
25th July 2003, 22:59
I sympathise with you following that kind of driver, my trick is to sit uptheir chuff, tow gears down from cruising gear, wait until they have just come out of a bend doing 80k and then fat it past -keeping an eye out for oncomming mr Plod - and then drop back to your usual speed