PDA

View Full Version : New thread : Sliding the rear

jade
23rd July 2007, 21:53
May I first take a minute to say if you dont have a topic related comment, do not bother commenting, do not waste my time, yours, or peoples reading this thread. I am well aware of the risks involved and im the last person who wants road rash on my aprilia.
Sliding the rear.
By now some of you will have realised I am gradually pushing the limits in different areas of my riding, the one im most keen on is sliding the rear.
I have experimented with this for a couple of months now and - as with the stoppies, very slowly and very gradually, in total I have only got the rear wheel spinning out of a corner 3 timesd- all of which I was purposely trying to - and all of which were in the wet. (straight line spinning doesnt count)
It is a very very dangerous art and only has 2 outcomes, you either pull it off or you dont.
I dont have motocross experience so I dont know how to control a sliding bike, those times I got it spinning - I was trying to and all 3 times it has scared the shit out of me afterwards, but what a rush...
I think my bike has the power to do it in the dry but I need way more practice and im in no rush, its amazing how hard you do need to try tho
Is anybody here good at it ?
any tips ?
I guess the only one I know is to keep the gas on to avoid a highside..
straightline spinning does not count, im talking about powering out of a corner

Two Smoker
23rd July 2007, 22:01
Dont bother on the road, conditions are far to varied. Go to the track and practice there...

ZeroIndex
23rd July 2007, 22:11
One of my friends used to slide the rear of his TZR250 almost everyday on the same corners (in the dry and occasionally the wet)... (he's sold the bike since though)...

What he used to do, is you'd do the whole normal leaning for the corner, as well as leaning the bike, and then at the exact time that you are wanting to slide the rear (you've got round the tight section of the corner, and it's almost all straight-play), you mostly stand the bike up while still hanging off it, and then hammer the throttle (as it's coming into powerband), that should set the back spinning, just remember to stay on the throttle, and adjust the direction by the amount that you're hanging off the bike - jumping off the throttle will probably result in a highside cause the wheel suddenly isn't going as fast as it was wanting to...

Good luck out there dude...

HDTboy
23rd July 2007, 22:22
I'd suggest learning how to go sideways in a powerful rear drive car, or dirt bike to get a feel for it first.
It's easier to go sideways into a corner than out.
The more linear your power curve is, the more predictable the slide will be.

boomer
23rd July 2007, 22:26
ask jay lawrence.. his shits unreal.. and i believe 'Jimmy White trash go fast' can do it a bit too.

logan/enigma likes sliding it but hes just a muppet

HDTboy
23rd July 2007, 22:28
Oh, and like TS said, do it on the track, don't be a knob on the road

Virago
23rd July 2007, 23:38
You, young sir, make my blood boil.

You may be "well aware of the risks involved", but you are seemingly blind to the rights of those who share the road with you.

You may perhaps impress teenage girls with your stoppies at intersections, and other "skills", but I'm sure that it will always be someone else's fault when it all goes terribly wrong.

I'm sure that the poor driver you took out at a roundabout yesterday will gain some consolation from getting the chance to meet such a skilled motorcyclist...

We can only hope that you grow up before you manage to hurt someone else.

In the meantime, please don't breed.

Ocean1
24th July 2007, 10:16
You, young sir, make my blood boil.

You may be "well aware of the risks involved", but you are seemingly blind to the rights of those who share the road with you.

You may perhaps impress teenage girls with your stoppies at intersections, and other "skills", but I'm sure that it will always be someone else's fault when it all goes terribly wrong.

I'm sure that the poor driver you took out at a roundabout yesterday will gain some consolation from getting the chance to meet such a skilled motorcyclist...

We can only hope that you grow up before you manage to hurt someone else.

In the meantime, please don't breed.

:laugh: +1

I dont have motocross experience so I dont know how to control a sliding bike

You’re right, it’s definitely a dirt bike technique, and one that’s absolutely necessary if you’re involved in any sort of competitive environment. But for a road bike the only possible reason to know how is to better avoid doing it. It's a great idea to learn how to handle a bike at the limits of traction, I think every rider should spend some time on a paddock doing exactly that. I believe every F1 world champion since Giacomo Agostini (with the exception Of Rossi) was first a champion dirt bike rider. Knowing exactly where the limits are pays major dividends when it comes to pure speed. The difference between dirt and street is that the margin of error is much greater with full knobbies in the dirt than any street setup, and the price of fucking it up is less. As our learned colleague points out the street ain’t no place for pure speed, if you want to play with limits take it off the road dude.

HDTboy
24th July 2007, 12:12
Sliding both tyres is definitely a big part of riding a Road Race bike fast. Sliding the fairings is undesirable

terbang
24th July 2007, 12:30
Get out thee in the dirt on an apppropriate bike and learn it there. In other words learn to crawl before you run, as sliding on the dry seal has lots of fish hooks. Keep it off the highway as it doesn't affect me as much if you slide into a post and take yourself out versus taking my daughters out learning to slide on the road. But its a good skil to have especially when it goes pear shaped and can be fun too. Just be smart about it eh..!

PRYDEE
24th July 2007, 12:31
I havent tried on the road but would definately try in a dewy paddock or gravel road on a dirt bike.This is a good way to learn what the bike is doing in the slide etc and how to correct.
Once you take those skills to tarseal you have to then consider the tyres you are using,the road compound , weather conditions etc.
Good luck-sounds like fun.

Crisis management
24th July 2007, 12:55
As others have said, try a track day or dirt bike first.....but, I think it's worth knowing where your traction limits are and what happens when you get there, so you're right to learn these skills.
I am definately not a fast rider but will regularly have the back end of the bike loose on the road, not intentionally, but when you get to the edge of traction, so it's important to know when to modulate the throttle.
You'll learn this not by giving the bike handfulls out of corners, as thats a recipe for disaster, but by cornering faster......trackdays are the best for that.

However, take the bike onto some gravel roads out the back of Puhoi (not far to go) and ride it there. Thats going to teach you all about sliding and throttle / brake control at about 50km/hr. Take your time and you will learn how far it slides and what it feels like and if you fall off it's only a few scrapes and bruises rather than anything more serious.
The important bit is not to go fast but to get used to sliding.

After you've done this go and play on the track but not on the bloody street! :angry:

vifferman
24th July 2007, 13:26
Just spray the rear tyre with silicon, or degreaser, and you'll be right.

Or not... :rolleyes:

cowboyz
24th July 2007, 17:44
It is impossible to learn where the edge of your traction is without going over the limit. In other words, if you are going to learn how to powerslide out of a corner on your bike, be it on the road,track or empty carlot you will drop it.

So be sure that you have the following...

1. Enough sense not to bitch about how you broke your bike.
2. Enough money to repair damages
3. Alternative tansport.

For me, powersliding out of corners shows one of 2 things.
Either your bike has a shitload of power on tap or your tyres are shit.

ZeroIndex
24th July 2007, 19:35
It is impossible to learn where the edge of your traction is without going over the limit. In other words, if you are going to learn how to powerslide out of a corner on your bike, be it on the road,track or empty carlot you will drop it.

So be sure that you have the following...

1. Enough sense not to bitch about how you broke your bike.
2. Enough money to repair damages
3. Alternative tansport.

For me, powersliding out of corners shows one of 2 things.
Either your bike has a shitload of power on tap or your tyres are shit.

I've gotta agree with the "Having alternative transport"... I think once I fix my bike, I'm gonna find another bike for stunting... maybe a little single something-or-another...

If you can find a crash/stunt cage, that would be a good investment if you're learning stoppies and sliding the tail out... a lot more protective than frame sliders...

jade
24th July 2007, 20:54
Its nice to see the broad spectrum of answers, I browse alot but I dont post often, I must admit - sometimes when I post I aim to arouse controversy,
Ive been to the track, But my domain is road riding, and im fairly aware that the road is not a playground - but anyone who rides road as much as me - knows about those familiar corners, with good visibility and noone around..
when I go out on my bike, it is my intention to learn something new and take every corner better than the last - to better my abilities every time in all situations
In my opionion, sliding the rear is the most blatant display of complete control there is, once again Ive experimented slowly and like I said ive only actually had spinning 3 times, even tho im constantly trying - generally from
5-60 km/h
I dont have engine braking on my bike so cant slide into a corner but fortunately my powerband is something chronic for coming out, but once again - its amazing how much throttle you need to give to send it..
god bless the wet

Boomer im curious - is 'Jay' the local racer I read about in magazines ?

sorry about the scattered post - been at the pub,
to end - I try to be sensible on the road, people like two smoker - I know where you are coming from and smart enough to know your opinion counts,
the road is not a playground, I just want to find the limits of my bike before I move up - I want to be good.
p.s - I recently read a casey stoner interview where he said that his motocross history helped him in motogp because of his ability to control a sliding bike, and that it was an advantage in braking and when the tyres were gone - weve all seen racers sliding both front and rear - be it in tyre controlled supersports, braking in motogp - or the loose wildcard at paeroa..
I just want to learn how to deal with it when it happens.

jade
24th July 2007, 20:59
either Im genuinely sincere about my motorcycle, and gaining riding abilities
or im gonna be a statistic like many muppets who were wrong before me.

Two Smoker
24th July 2007, 21:39
Sliding both tyres is definitely a big part of riding a Road Race bike fast.

Correct, sliding both the front and rear at the same time means you can not go any faster, sliding into corners is piss easy if you have no engine braking... just jump on the rear brake.

Sliding the fairings is undesirable

But yet you keep doing it??? hehehe

And Jay Lawrence is the local racer... and by local, that is NZ racer... He is slow i heard :whistle: hehehe But apparently he can slide a bike in and out of a corner like no ones business... I have to agree after having a close inspection... Jays so dreamy...:love:

HDTboy
24th July 2007, 21:42
I dont have engine braking on my bike so cant slide into a corner but fortunately my powerband is something chronic for coming out, but once again - its amazing how much throttle you need to give to send it..
god bless the wet

Use the rear brake, that's what it's for.

Yes Jay is the local racer you read about in magazines, he's the man at backing it in, and soooo dreamy

JayRacer37
24th July 2007, 22:42
Its nice to see the broad spectrum of answers, I browse alot but I dont post often, I must admit - sometimes when I post I aim to arouse controversy,
Ive been to the track, But my domain is road riding, and im fairly aware that the road is not a playground - but anyone who rides road as much as me - knows about those familiar corners, with good visibility and noone around..
when I go out on my bike, it is my intention to learn something new and take every corner better than the last - to better my abilities every time in all situations
In my opionion, sliding the rear is the most blatant display of complete control there is, once again Ive experimented slowly and like I said ive only actually had spinning 3 times, even tho im constantly trying - generally from
5-60 km/h
god bless the wet

sorry about the scattered post - been at the pub,
to end - I try to be sensible on the road, people like two smoker - I know where you are coming from and smart enough to know your opinion counts,
the road is not a playground, I just want to find the limits of my bike before I move up - I want to be good.
p.s - I recently read a casey stoner interview where he said that his motocross history helped him in motogp because of his ability to control a sliding bike, and that it was an advantage in braking and when the tyres were gone - weve all seen racers sliding both front and rear - be it in tyre controlled supersports, braking in motogp - or the loose wildcard at paeroa..
I just want to learn how to deal with it when it happens.

Jay's me mate. And yes, I have been getting a bit of paper coverage recently.

To slide into a corner, you dont need a bunch of back brake, just enough/lots of front brake to have the back light, and a dab of rear brake and enough control to hold the bike sideways with it. you dont need bugger all from the back.

For spinning the rear on the way out, the easiest way to start it is to start rolling the throttle at max lean, and just making the rear scrabble for grip. Then start to bring the bike upright. For me its not about having it two feet out of line, its that three or six inches held out to tighten the bikes line up that counts. Not to metion the black line....gotta love it! If your doing it dont ever roll out of the throttle.

Also, like other posters have said - please, please don't do really dumb shit on the road. Track days are cheap and a really really easy and relaxed place to try the things i have seen you talking about on here.

Best wishes Jade, take it easy mate.

JayRacer37
24th July 2007, 22:46
Use the rear brake, that's what it's for.

Yes Jay is the local racer you read about in magazines, he's the man at backing it in, and soooo dreamy

And, yes, i'm glad all you GUYS have noticed I am so Damn dreamy...But where the hell is Rache when all this is going on!!!!????

sisterecho
24th July 2007, 22:49
And, yes, i'm glad all you GUYS have noticed I am so Damn dreamy...But where the hell is Rache when all this is going on!!!!????

I'm sending PMs telling them to stay the hell away from my man! ;)

JayRacer37
24th July 2007, 22:51
I'm sending PMs telling them to stay the hell away from my man! ;)

That'll do...Hide me from the bad men!!!

Jantar
24th July 2007, 23:35
.... im gonna be a statistic like many muppets who were wrong before me.

:yes: :yes: :yes:

jade
25th July 2007, 20:31
haha to hear 40 guys at work tell me to get a car or a tank does nothing to phase me, yet to hear 2-3 people on here tell me makes me think twice, im positive I love my bike more than 90percent of people on here and riding just as much..
Im not that keen on the back brake, more powering out, although my rep seems to state im a pleb I think my passion is for real and Ill get it right..
know me before you judge me..

FROSTY
25th July 2007, 20:47
Dude if you want to know how -reread the post by Jayracer-
If you wanna know why not to on the road go visit the local A and E

Two Smoker
25th July 2007, 22:22
That'll do...Hide me from the bad men!!!

aaaaaahhhhh sooooo dreamy....:love: LMAO!!! Im not bad... just misunderstood... I think rache is missing because she is too busy cheering for Gav and I and sabotaging your bike so you lose more :bleh:

JayRacer37
25th July 2007, 22:31
aaaaaahhhhh sooooo dreamy....:love: LMAO!!! Im not bad... just misunderstood... I think rache is missing because she is too busy cheering for Gav and I and sabotaging your bike so you lose more :bleh:

haaha, wait till that damn track drys properly buddy.....

Two Smoker
25th July 2007, 22:51
haaha, wait till that damn track drys properly buddy.....

Ill be well and truely stuffed!!! Im going to do the rain dance every day till the next round :niceone:

sisterecho
26th July 2007, 07:50
aaaaaahhhhh sooooo dreamy....:love: LMAO!!! Im not bad... just misunderstood... I think rache is missing because she is too busy cheering for Gav and I and sabotaging your bike so you lose more

Trying to steal my boyfriend AND spreading nasty rumours!!!? Next round I'm bringing a seven course meal, laden with calories, just for you Chris... to sabotage your acclaimed Wallet Diet! :p

HDTboy
26th July 2007, 10:17
Oi!!!!!! Don't feed the fatty!!!!!!!

sisterecho
26th July 2007, 11:46
Oi!!!!!! Don't feed the fatty!!!!!!!

Super Chocolate Marshmallow Fudge and Chocolate Rum Truffles are on the menu for next round. Gotta slow him down somehow!!! :yes:

cowpoos
27th July 2007, 00:43
Super Chocolate Marshmallow Fudge and Chocolate Rum Truffles are on the menu for next round. Gotta slow him down somehow!!! :yes:
can we have caramel slice toooooooo!!!!! please please princess Leah!!!!

cowpoos
27th July 2007, 00:53
oh.....and my advice to sliding the rear...get a more powerful bike...it will make it safer and easier to learn...or a dirt bike if you can...when I do it...its a bit different from Jays technique...on the road bike,I weight the inside peg bit after the apex...and give the throttle a big hand full [pays to know your bike when doing things by handfulls] and hold it!! don't back off the throttle [ever!! it hurts more high siding than lowsiding!!!] and start sitting the bike up by pushing the high side bar away from you...not counter steering it...add more throttle as desired :) ....on a dirt bike very similar...except start throttling before the apex a lil to steady the chassis...and roll on the throttle gererously...weight the outside peg...and play!! try to keep firmly attached to the dirt bike while sliding...with out death gripping the bars...holding on to the bars to firmly interfer's with chassis a heap...

Kflasher
27th July 2007, 07:23
I havent tried on the road but would definately try in a dewy paddock or gravel road on a dirt bike.This is a good way to learn what the bike is doing in the slide etc and how to correct.
Once you take those skills to tarseal you have to then consider the tyres you are using,the road compound , weather conditions etc.
Good luck-sounds like fun.

Wet grass (hard ground) on road tyres is a good place to start, buy yourself a cheap bike to practise on...VT250 on wet grass was good enough.
I farked all farings and other shite.
I started just contoling a spinning take off.
Always wear you safety gear... Always, you will drop it, my little fingers show the practice and damage that can happen.
...my 2 cents...

Two Smoker
27th July 2007, 09:03

So Jay's Superior bike and riding skills isnt enough??? Now you have to resort to food warfare lol.... MMMMMMmmmmm fudge truffles... Ill be huge in no time!!! Maybe i should be in a Zoo??? With signs all around me saying dont feed the fatty????

jrandom
27th July 2007, 09:13
Just a word, chaps - I highsided on Wednesday evening precisely because I was unused to sliding the rear.

Riding a spun-up rear wheel through a corner isn't stunting, it's valuable bike handling skills. I'll be practising it in controlled conditions (starting on a dirtbike) as soon as my hand's out of the cast.

Virago
27th July 2007, 12:05
Just a word, chaps - I highsided on Wednesday evening precisely because I was unused to sliding the rear.

Riding a spun-up rear wheel through a corner isn't stunting, it's valuable bike handling skills. I'll be practising it in controlled conditions (starting on a dirtbike) as soon as my hand's out of the cast.

I don't know how, but I've managed to survive 30 years of riding without learning to slide the rear tyre. Perhaps I should be worried about my appalling lack of skills?

Perhaps when these guys are all healed up, and have put their bikes back together, they can teach the rest of us how to ride properly?

:rofl:

jrandom
27th July 2007, 12:08
I don't know how, but I've managed to survive 30 years of riding without learning to slide the rear tyre. Perhaps I should be worried about my appalling lack of skills?

If you don't choose to ride bikes that will break the rear end loose with a twitch of the throttle, it's not something to worry about.

Virago
27th July 2007, 12:54
If you don't choose to ride bikes that will break the rear end loose with a twitch of the throttle, it's not something to worry about.

I've just caught up with your bin thread - my above leg-pull post sounded rather unsympathetic - all the best for your recovery. :dodge:

Drew
28th July 2007, 20:59
I'm not sure if I have a technique, but when the rear does let go, (only ever tried on purpose a few times), I move as far off the inside of the bike as I can, and keep the gas on. Turns out that's just how I corner now when I'm going for it, so not sure what I'll do when it starts happening again.

At Taupo on the thou, it was happening all the time, to the point where I literally thought I was crashing, in those instances, I mashed my knee into the ground and hung on for dear life.

The best thing I can think to say, (and I'm sure I'll get hammered for it), is that it's almost comletely throttle control, and the BEST THING for learning throttle control, is wheelies!!! Not the easy power stands everyone can do on a modern sportsbike, but the ones where you are in actual control of the bike.

Stunt sliding is something else, and I've not got my stunta back from the shop yet, but once I do, I'll put driftin' on my list of things to self teach.

Peace out.

ZeroIndex
28th July 2007, 21:26
These guys know what they're doing...
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RVDsnUJcvw8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RVDsnUJcvw8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3NVZrN4MPMs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3NVZrN4MPMs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>