PDA

View Full Version : GN250 speedo u/s.

howdamnhard
23rd July 2007, 23:19
Whilst riding home tonight I noticed I was closing on the car up ahead awfully fast ( f@#$k slowed up cagers I thought) ,glanced down at the speedo ,only doing 50Km/h, hang on seem to be going faster than 50Km/h,compare revs,yip definitely doing more than 50.Wow odometer just added 100 km to the clock.Speedo gradually died off to zero km/h but odometer still seems to be counting up ( bar the +100km).Anyone else had a similiar problem with their 2006 GN250 ( Chinese crap) ? will have a closer look tomorrow in daylight,don't think its the cable otherwise surely the odometer wouldn't work anymore(will check accuracy tomorrow against a known distance).Maybe speedo drive/gears U/S.Any pointers would be appreciated.
Cheers:yes:

FROSTY
23rd July 2007, 23:31
Check the cable first off. Actually being an 06 Best advice--Take it back and do a warranty claim.

howdamnhard
24th July 2007, 00:19
Cheers,thanks.I'll check if it hasn'nt expired(warranty).:scooter:

Check the cable first off. Actually being an 06 Best advice--Take it back and do a warranty claim.

howdamnhard
24th July 2007, 11:54
Well what do you know,the warranty expired 1 month ago,what a coincidence.:angry:It appears to be the speedo cable.Disconnected the cable into the speedo and spun the front wheel,no turn/spinning cable.Cable has enough lube so hasn'nt seized up,just aparently snapped.

Steam
24th July 2007, 12:02
You should be happy, new cable only $30 or so. Happy happy!

Pancakes
3rd August 2007, 19:32
Should last longer than 13 months eh? 2nd hand one should be easy enough to come by, if you want a new one I'd talk to the owner of the shop you bought it from and see if they can't supply you one at cost. They don't have to but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Terminated
3rd August 2007, 19:45
I understand that this is not an uncommon problem. I had the same problem with my GN last year. Within the warranty period, the dealership replaced the whole gear assembly down on front wheel.:scooter::scooter:

imdying
4th August 2007, 08:54
I bet you if this ended up in small claims, the adjudicator would rules in your favour... I mean, a speed and distance measuring device on a brand new bike that only lasts 13 months? 12 month warranty or not, they'd be going down.

howdamnhard
8th August 2007, 23:49
I understand that this is not an uncommon problem. I had the same problem with my GN last year. Within the warranty period, the dealership replaced the whole gear assembly down on front wheel.:scooter::scooter:

Well it wasn't the speedo cable but the drive at the front wheel,quite a common problem apparently because back in China they don't bother lubricating them properly when they assemble the bikes:gob:.So if you have a new Chinese built GN250 I would strongly suggest you get it lubed properly at next service otherwise you can kiss goodbye to $170.You would have thought Suzuki would sought this out rather than let their poor customers find out the hard way:nono:.As for the warranty being expired by 1 month I'm sure the consumer garantees act would agree that a speedo drive should last longer than 13 months,but I have neither the time or inclination to fight it.:angry:

Lucy
15th February 2008, 16:30
Well it wasn't the speedo cable but the drive at the front wheel,quite a common problem apparently because back in China they don't bother lubricating them properly when they assemble the bikes:gob:.So if you have a new Chinese built GN250 I would strongly suggest you get it lubed properly at next service otherwise you can kiss goodbye to $170.You would have thought Suzuki would sought this out rather than let their poor customers find out the hard way:nono:.As for the warranty being expired by 1 month I'm sure the consumer garantees act would agree that a speedo drive should last longer than 13 months,but I have neither the time or inclination to fight it.:angry:

Bugger I wish I had found this thread earlier - mine has just died.

Squiggles
19th February 2008, 22:50
Bugger I wish I had found this thread earlier - mine has just died.

yer, they use but a wiff of grease, there are a few wrecking on tardme, someone should have one ;)

skidMark
19th February 2008, 23:16
take it off lucy...goto a wrecker...find something that fits...one off a classic gn should fit.

Squiggles
20th February 2008, 00:17
take it off lucy...goto a wrecker...find something that fits...one off a classic gn should fit.

wheel size is everything though :)

sunhuntin
20th February 2008, 08:09
mine did the same as well... died on the way back from paeroa 06... bought the bike november 05. took 5 weeks to replace, so i was riding by revs. o yeh, the odo stopped ticking over as well.

stevewederell
12th March 2008, 15:28
Looks like something for me to look forward to...My reg/rec is poked!

FilthyLuka
13th March 2008, 21:03
So what do we learn from this? Lube is always your friend :)

Peoples with new GN's, lube the shit out of everything! Cept the tires... Lube on the tires doesn't help... or the brakes, don't lube the brakes. everything else though, get lubing! :banana:

Easy way to avoid the front speedo gear faliure? Complete front end of a GS550 :D Slots straight into the original triple trees, and you also happen to get twin front disks as an added bonus :)

Choco
24th March 2008, 14:23
Shit, my speedo just crapped out on the easter 3 day tour with Toto. Cable seems to be ok but there's a weird soft clicking coming from the wheel where the cable goes in.

Has anyone chucked a 2nd hand one in or is it easier to just grab a new one? and how much is this likely to cost?

Choco.

howdamnhard
18th May 2008, 21:27
Another problem to look out for with GN's is the Regulator/Rectifier.If your battery starts going flat,headlight blows your regulator might be on its way out.My GN has 19000km on it when my regulator went,thought it was battery but then found fuse blown.It was shorting to earth.

howdamnhard
20th May 2008, 15:48
Yay :banana: finally back on the road after having to wait a week for a 2nd hand regulator/rectifier to come up from Christchurch.Driving the cage for a week sucked,especially when I saw other bikers out and about in the fine weather.With the fuel price going up twice this week I'm sure pleased to have her up and running again.

BASS-TREBLE
20th May 2008, 21:41
Whats the warrant requirment for a speedo?
You would get a top of the line bicycle computer for under $100 which is most probably more accurate than the stock speedo and has trip meter and total distance etc

Choco
21st May 2008, 09:00
Whats the warrant requirment for a speedo?
You would get a top of the line bicycle computer for under $100 which is most probably more accurate than the stock speedo and has trip meter and total distance etc

Go to Cycletreads; they have digital bike speedo's for a bit over $100 :D

Squiggles
21st May 2008, 11:54
Should have posted and said im parting out a gn if anybody wants a speedo drive unit...

Dodger
21st May 2008, 17:27

Wow it was only last year?
Seems like the distant past to me :)