PDA

View Full Version : RD 250 - known issues?

ManDownUnder
17th July 2003, 16:21
Hey guys - long time no hear...

Question for all you experts... I have a mate here at work, just bought an '84 RD250 (yes you read the right).

It seems to go ok, and he invested heavily in it ($500)... what are the known issues with these things?

Cheers
MDU

What?
17th July 2003, 16:32
There are lots of issues, fortunately most of them are fairly simple. Usual rules like using good oil apply. Run high octane gas, and for hard running install colder plugs to prevent burning holes in pistons. In the same vein, don't remove the air filter, or run a less restrictive filter, without also increasing the main jet size. A well fettled RD will go well for a long time. And , as this one probably has, the pipes may be in serious need of a de-coke.

wkid_one
17th July 2003, 16:34
try http://www.micapeak.com/reg/bikes/RDRZ/ , and filter to view problems....

Stormer
18th July 2003, 20:16
Is it the air-cooled or liquid-cooled(LC) model?

If it`s air-cooled, throw away the standard pipes and get some decent chambers. Up the main jets a bit and he`ll be flyin'.

Used to have an air-cooled 350 with chambers and port job. No power under about 6500rpm, but over this look out!

The motor`s fairly bulletproof if the timing is kept spot on, and you don`t use to hotter plugs.Two strokes are simple as to work on, no valves and stuff to worry about.

LC model, not sure, but never heard any adverse things about them. They handled a lot better though.

Urban Terrorist
18th July 2003, 22:38
I was going to recommend http://www.yamaha-rd.com/ but after a quick look at the site its down. It's worth bookmarking though. They have a great wealth of knowledge about RD/RZs and general 2 stroke stuff.Hopefully it'll be up and running again sometime.

Redstar
1st August 2003, 21:10
the RD 250water cooled is bulletproof there are no problems except finding one that was not thrashed within an inch of its life because they invited it!
the air cooled was such too. my 5th bike was an xs250 four stroke
yam a gutless if well made dog!

SPman
1st August 2003, 22:18
Originally posted by Redstar
my 5th bike was an xs250 four stroke
yam a gutless if well made dog!

Hey I saw one of those yesterday - the owner was running it down a hill to get it started!

RD's - like all strokers, great when theyre goin well, dogs if they arent.

Had my first (and only) tank slapper on an RD!:eek:

inlinefour
13th January 2005, 15:14
I want one, but they are becoming hard to find in the right model I want. I'm after the RD250LC model of the early 1980s. Has to be in reasonable condition, but not a problem if requiring a rebuild :rockon:

Sensei
13th January 2005, 15:47
A guy I know races one in Post classic's . If you need some help Etc Drop me a PM & I'll get his number for you
SENSEI :shifty:

NC
13th January 2005, 18:03
Nick named 'Rapid Death' I think that sez it all.. :sly:

gav
13th January 2005, 21:03
I want one, but they are becoming hard to find in the right model I want. I'm after the RD250LC model of the early 1980s. Has to be in reasonable condition, but not a problem if requiring a rebuild :rockon:
But its a Y.A.M.A.H.A ??????????????????????
oh, heres one!!
RD250LC (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbike-Parts/Other/auction-20832075.htm)
howabout a 350LC?
RD350LC (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Classic-vintage/auction-20831591.htm)
and theres 2 or 3 real tidy early 70's RD350's as well, what are you waiting for??

moko
14th January 2005, 03:32
I`ve had 2 air-cooled ones and an LC.Best advice I can give is keep it standard,mechanically at least,it`ll last longer,be less likely to sieze,better on the road and you`re neighbours will still speak to you.Great little bikes and still a few around,RD400`s way better,a real classic but you havn`t got one of those so it`s pretty irrelavent really.Things to watch?The plugs will have been in and out a lot so the threads can be shagged in the head,easily fixed but check as it`s a good sign of a careful previous owner and not some ham-fisted clod.Talking of which it`s always a good idea to carry a couple of spares and a plug spanner around with you,they dont last very long and even if they start to oil up a plug change is better than limping home.
They were never the fastest 2-stroke 250 but seemed to last a bit better than the opposition,nice little bike mate,enjoy it.

guzzi_nz
14th January 2005, 08:38
U guys should remeber the RZ 250 :) The first road version had one a alot of years back it was cool first true 100 mph 250 in mid eightly :Punk:also haved a rd 350 lc what a wheelie machine :ride:

gav
14th January 2005, 22:09
My old RZ350 ........

inlinefour
14th January 2005, 23:26
The one on TM is an absolute shitter, not worth pissing on. I've owned a raced RZ350LC and it was OK but I'm really wanting a complete original RD250LC only, not a pile of crap like on the auctio, but thankyou for pointing it out for me :)

inlinefour
14th January 2005, 23:28
U guys should remeber the RZ 250 :) The first road version had one a alot of years back it was cool first true 100 mph 250 in mid eightly :Punk:also haved a rd 350 lc what a wheelie machine :ride:

And it was good for going slightly sideways around sticky courners (generally without crapping off) :gob:

Jantar
15th January 2005, 00:13

I think you are showing how young you are. The first genuine 100 MPH 250 cc machine was the 1971 Suzuki T250 road tested at 105 MPH, (though there are some who claim its predecessor X7 was equally as quick). The 1973 Yamaha RD250 handled better and accellerated up to 100 MPH quicker, but was road tested to top out at 103 MPH.
The Kawasaki S1 had a claimed top speed of 110 MPH, but the only one i ever rode, and all road tests I've read put the true top speed at exactly 100 MPH.

Yep the RZ250 was a genuine 100+MPH bike, but not the first.

moko
15th January 2005, 23:07
I think you are showing how young you are. The first genuine 100 MPH 250 cc machine was the 1971 Suzuki T250 road tested at 105 MPH, (though there are some who claim its predecessor X7 was equally as quick).

Older road-tests are definately suspect,they were rarely objective with manufacturers expecting a good write-up or threatening to pull the plug if they didn`t get it.Kawasaki actually black-listed Superbike back in the 70`s for criticising the handling of one of their bikes.About the same time BIKE took them on and said if they didnt supply bikes to them then they`d test whatever they could lay their hands on and tell it like it is.Bike companies came to the conclusion that supplying test bikes themselves that were properly prepped e.t.c. made more sense.Honda and Kawasaki have been rumbled for supplying non-standard machines to road-testers in the past,one ex-press fleet GPZ900 got disqualified from a proddy race for having an illegal camshaft,accusations flying all over the place on that one.
X7 came out in about 1979 and definately wasn`t the T250`s predecessor.With hindsight it`s recognised by the bike press as the first GENUINE 100m.p.h. 250.Older 250`s may well show a ton on the speedo but that`s about it,at least in standard trim."World`s first 100m.p.h. 250" was a claim just about every 2-stroke 250 made when it was launched back in the 70`s,in reality most would do 95 or so on the road.Even the X7 figure was a roadtester on a track wearing leathers with his head down over the clocks and the mirrors taken off but it cracked it nonetheless.250LC was a brilliant bike,not only was it very quick for it`s day but it`s also a lot more of an all-rounder than many suspect,I used mine in heavy trafic to get to and from work apart from fun stuff and it made a brilliant commuter,of course mine was standard and most bunged on expansions and lost all the bottom end.

Jantar
23rd January 2005, 03:46
X7 came out in about 1979 and definately wasn`t the T250`s predecessor.With hindsight it`s recognised by the bike press as the first GENUINE 100m.p.h. 250.Older 250`s may well show a ton on the speedo but that`s about it,at least in standard trim."World`s first 100m.p.h. 250" was a claim just about every 2-stroke 250 made when it was launched back in the 70`s,in reality most would do 95 or so on the road.. .

In 1965 Suzuki released the "Hustler "Depending on where it was released it was also called the X6 or the T20. It produced 29 BHP and was rated at 95 MPH. The model continued on with developement through 1966, and in 1967 it changed to the T21 or X7, again depending on which market it was designed for. You are right in that an X7 was again released in 1979, but by then it didn't bear much resemblance to the 1967 model. The T250 had a claimed ouput of 33 BHP, and the GT250R was supposed to be 35 BHP. I believe that claim to be somewhat optimistic. Suzuki kept the name "Hustler" right through its 250 cc twin range.

I raced both the T250 in production racing and a TR250 in racing class. As you are aware, in production racing nothing is done to the motor other than ensuring that it is in a very good state of tune. In a straight line on the T250 I achieved a standing 1/4 time of 15.9 seconds and a flying 1/4 of 101 MPH at School Rd, Mosgiel. The bike was still accellerating (albeit very slightly) as I entered the traps and the true terminal speed would have been fractionally higher.

moko
24th January 2005, 01:23
A case of different model designation for different markets then.Only X7 we got was the 79 bike.(plus X5 200 and X1 50).All ram-air 250`s here were badged and sold as GT250`s.
There was alot of debate here about "the first genuine 100 m.p.h. 250" and the agreed criteria amongst the press was totally standard regarding gearing,bars e.t.c. and the 79 X7 was the first to crack it.It also had a rep for seizing and having a bendy frame un-like the preceding GT250A which was faster than an RD but just as tough.