PDA

View Full Version : Basic GPS... is it useful?

Steam
24th July 2007, 20:20
Someone has offered me a very basic GPS unit, an old entry-level Garmin Etrex.
But really, what's the use of a bunch of coordinate numbers if there are no maps or whatever to go with it?
Geocaching I guess...
What else?

geoffm
24th July 2007, 20:29
Got one of these. USeful if you go hunting and stuff, but they don't work well under trees or in a car as it can't lock onto a signal.
IMO, no good on a bike, except maybe trailridign in case you get lost.
Geoff

Pogo2
24th July 2007, 20:46
I used one for flying as a backup to see where I had been and was good to use to retrace your steps in bad weather. Since then I have upgraded to a moving map one and you cant beat them. Now I know where I heading as well as where I have been. Definately recommend one with a map. I think you would get a reasonable basic one for $400-600 for land/road use.

Best of luck -although hard to beat a free one.

yod
24th July 2007, 20:55
Got one of these. USeful if you go hunting and stuff, but they don't work well under trees or in a car as it can't lock onto a signal.
IMO, no good on a bike, except maybe trailridign in case you get lost.
Geoff

never had a problem with mine in a car

useful for checking how far out your speedo is :laugh:

xgnr
24th July 2007, 21:07
never had a problem with mine in a car

useful for checking how far out your speedo is :laugh:

My Navman shows a difference of about 10km/hr when doing approx 80+ Km/hr. Wondered how accurate they are as regards to speed. Location on the ground can be as good as 5M. But maybe only when you get all the Sats.???

I have a moving map type that talks to you which is really usefull when hooked up to the intercom and I am trying to find my way. Decent mount system with power and plastic bag seems to work ok :yes: