PDA

View Full Version : New guy ~ Canadian (Island_Moose)

Island_Moose
25th July 2007, 04:50
Hello all,

I'm arriving in Auckland in 2 weeks from Canada. I'm in civil engineering and I have a 3 year visa.

I've been riding for about 18 years, owned many bikes, most recently a Honda CBR954RR, Suzuki SV1000S, Suzuki DL1000, Harley Davidson Dyna Lowrider, Kawasaki 750 Vulcan, Honda VT500F, Suzuki DR750S, Yamaha Venture, Yamaha RZ500 and a Suzuki Bandit 600.

I sold everything in preparation for immigrating, but I'm hoping to get a bike quickly on arriving in Auckland. Nothing in mind yet, it would be interesting to look at some of the makes and models you get in NZ that aren't available in Canada (we don't get Cagiva, MZ, or several of the models from the big 4). I have been looking seriously at slowing down from the big litre bikes and getting something to tour the country with, like a Triumph Scrambler or T100. I'm getting too old to back the rear tire into corners at 160kph.

I'm hoping this forum will help me find a bike, as well as help me find the best deal on gear etc (the only thing I'm bringing from my gear are my Oxtar boots (best I've ever owned).

In any case, hope to get in on some rides, and get to know some riders in NZ.

Cheers,

Island Moose (John)

formerly - Vancouver Island Canada

dangerous
25th July 2007, 05:48
Auckland? what the hell for? :Punk: welcome man, ya wont have any troubles finding a bike and getting out for a ride, but ya wont realy know NZ roads till ya tour down here :scooter:

SARGE
25th July 2007, 06:28
koo-OOO-KOOO-KOOO-OO-KOO-KOO-KOOOOOOO

take off eh?

dude ... bring us some Molson eh?.. ( seriously .. cant get it here for love nor money)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh4k3L0WrEE

Island_Moose
25th July 2007, 08:18
Molson?...there's got to be better beer in NZ? I remember Australia having some good ones when I visited in 2003.

chanceyy
25th July 2007, 08:39
welcome mate .. but really all of the best roads are way outta aucks .. so make sure your prepared to travel .. :killingme

seriously there are quite a group of kbers in the Aucks areas that ride on reg basis .. am sure they will lead you astray quite nicely .. :lol: :nya:

ZeroIndex
25th July 2007, 08:41
Do you know Waylander? :killingme
Sorry... old joke just begging to be brought up.

People that own the new Triumph Scrambler haven't said anything bad about them on here, so they're probably pretty good...

Hope your immigration goes smoothly, and that you get settled quickly.

Welcome to KiwiBiker

Mom
25th July 2007, 17:22
Hello all,

I'm hoping this forum will help me find a bike, as well as help me find the best deal on gear etc (the only thing I'm bringing from my gear are my Oxtar boots (best I've ever owned).

In any case, hope to get in on some rides, and get to know some riders in NZ.

Cheers,

Island Moose (John)

Hi Island_Moose

Make sure you look us up when you get to NZ, my hubby Maha man organsies some good rides out from time to time. Welcome to KB, you will meet some great people, and get some good advice here. Watch out though for the crazy people that frequent this forum. :yes: Where abouts in Auckland will you be based?

pinkhoggirl
25th July 2007, 23:15
Mate - the best way to initate yourself to us is to join another Canadian export (that'd be ME...ME....Me.....Me.....Me!...and a westie to boot) for a big ass birthday bash at my digs. Saturday night - pm me for details. And for fucks sakes...buy a hog. I can tell, like me, your too old for the speed demons here....(they're all just jealous - underneath all that bravado, they really want a bike :scooter:like mine...!):rockon:

Hello all,

I'm arriving in Auckland in 2 weeks from Canada.... I have a 3 year visa.

Island Moose (John)

scumdog
26th July 2007, 01:08
Welcome eh!

Was on Vancouver Island last on 2005 - nice spot!!
NZ is a lot like Canada with the attitude of its people- especially those on the south-west of Canada.

Island_Moose
26th July 2007, 05:22
Hi Island_Moose

Make sure you look us up when you get to NZ, my hubby Maha man organsies some good rides out from time to time. Welcome to KB, you will meet some great people, and get some good advice here. Watch out though for the crazy people that frequent this forum. :yes: Where abouts in Auckland will you be based?

My job is in Mt. Wellington, but I'm just in a hotel for the first month. Need to find a place to live with a spot to do some wrenching.

Here's to a warm and dry summer in NZ.

SARGE
26th July 2007, 06:35
Molson?...there's got to be better beer in NZ? I remember Australia having some good ones when I visited in 2003.

well... no.. not really .. the highest beer you can get usually is 5% ( they do have some hi octane stuff at 8% here but it tastes like turps)

most beers are around the 4-4.5% rating..

i do however sorta like the new Steinlager Pure thats out recently

NighthawkNZ
26th July 2007, 06:58
welcome to the kookoo farm :)

Kflasher
26th July 2007, 07:03
Welcome dude, we will catch up on the road somewhere...

pinkhoggirl
26th July 2007, 08:16
Hello all,

I'm arriving in Auckland in 2 weeks from Canada. .

Oops - musta had one two many wines - just realized you havent even arrived yet. Too bad - the bash is gonna be a good one! Never mind - we can initiate you another time. (I know ya not even scared by that - your Canadian!):dodge:

sunhuntin
26th July 2007, 14:13
welcome in advance!!

i love canada... spent 6 months there a few years ago, and didnt want to leave! LOL.

saw vancouver from the airport... even at that distance, the rockies were impressive.

youll want to ride the south island at some point.... closest match the ontario ive ever seen.

Island_Moose
26th July 2007, 14:36
welcome in advance!!

i love canada... spent 6 months there a few years ago, and didnt want to leave! LOL.

saw vancouver from the airport... even at that distance, the rockies were impressive.

youll want to ride the south island at some point.... closest match the ontario ive ever seen.

Riding through the Rockies is spectacular. I have noticed though over the years that the number of RV's (you call them caravans?) has exploded...makes riding in some regions a constant exercise in passing.

I have some amazing memories of rides through BC and Alberta.

tri boy
26th July 2007, 15:22
Moose, maaate.
Ya mentioned the magic Scrambler word.:Punk:
Big Dave will give you a fair run down on its ability, and I'll over emphasise every thing. If you want to see NZ at the proper pace(without traffic, cops, morons bothering you, check one out).
Crisis and windboy will see you right.(theyr'e up in Akld, and know the best roads)
Welcome to the site.:yes:

Qkchk
26th July 2007, 15:32
Welcome to KB and NZ

If you ever want to meet a few of us here in Auckland, there is usually a ride on every Thursday night called the ATNR. (Its on tonight) We meet up at Westgate then go for a ride eventually meeting up at BAR AFRICA (Top of William Pickering Drive, Albany) anywhere from 8.30pm onwards. Come up and make yourself known, even if you havn't got a bike yet quite a few members turn up at the bar in their cars so you won't be out of place...... Give me a PM if you want anymore info......

Qkchk aka Dawn

Island_Moose
26th July 2007, 16:37
Welcome to KB and NZ

If you ever want to meet a few of us here in Auckland, there is usually a ride on every Thursday night called the ATNR. (Its on tonight) We meet up at Westgate then go for a ride eventually meeting up at BAR AFRICA (Top of William Pickering Drive, Albany) anywhere from 8.30pm onwards. Come up and make yourself known, even if you havn't got a bike yet quite a few members turn up at the bar in their cars so you won't be out of place...... Give me a PM if you want anymore info......

Qkchk aka Dawn

Thanks, see you in a couple of weeks!