PDA

View Full Version : Riding without gloves

Skyryder
27th September 2004, 14:59
While at work the other day waiting for the lights, this guy pulls up along side on a sports bike. Big mother all the leathers and flashy gear but I look again and no gloves. If it's one piece of gear, other than helmut, that I make sure I ride with it is gloves.

Any one habitually rides without gloves?

Skyryder

FROSTY
27th September 2004, 15:04
Nope Never --mind you --these new gloves I got from Lynda Blair-they feel ilke im not wearing gloves. :devil2:

That Guy
27th September 2004, 15:13
Yeah I've seen that before - dude on a 998 with the Dianese gear - but no gloves! What? I reckoned at the time he must have lost them but perhaps it some sort of new 'get sensual with the grips' trend thing...

vifferman
27th September 2004, 15:13
Nope Never --mind you --these new gloves I got from Lynda Blair-they feel ilke im not wearing gloves. :devil2:Yeah, they're very like the Pro-1s I've got, which is why I didn't buy them. Great, aren't they? :)
I very occasionally ride without glubs, but it's only when I'm riding up to the end of the street or summat.
Interestingly (or prehaps, 'fortuitously'), in all the bazillions of bins I've had, I've only noticed my hands have touched down or been hurt twice. The last time (a few weeks ago), the palm of my right glove got a rip in it* (crappy Orina waterproofs), where I must've put my hand out as the bike hit the ground. The time before that, I don't think my hand hit the road, as there were no marks on the glove, but it hurt a little afterwards. Both times the pain was gone in a matter of hours, and I was VERY grateful for good gear.

*Excellent! A good excuse to buy some new gloves....:shifty:

vifferman
27th September 2004, 15:17
Yeah I've seen that before - dude on a 998 with the Dianese gear - but no gloves! What? I reckoned at the time he must have lost them but perhaps it some sort of new 'get sensual with the grips' trend thing...That ranks with the guy I saw a couple of years ago, when Kerry at Motohaus was fitting new tryes on my VFR. He'd brought his Ducati (851, if I recall) in for a new rear tyre, and the front tyre had virtually no tread on it! Kerry tried to convince him to get a new front as well, even offering him time-payment, but he wouldn't get one. I was speechless....:wacko:
Oh well - it hardly never rains in D'Auckland, so I guess he was OK. :eek:

NC
27th September 2004, 15:18
I rode for 3 years without gloves, now my hands are screwed, I can't feel cold things.

And being caught in a hail storm doing 100kms kinda gave me a wake up call. :cold:

But I have a nice flash set now :D

vifferman
27th September 2004, 15:20
And being caught in a hail storm doing 100kms kinda gave me a wake up call. :cold: Heh - been there, done that, except I was only doing about 60, so I stopped and put my hands under my armpits. Phark that hurts, don't it?

Zed
27th September 2004, 15:27
While at work the other day waiting for the lights, this guy pulls up along side on a sports bike. Big mother all the leathers and flashy gear but I look again and no gloves...
Yeah I've seen several riders this year without them - on the motorway! Foolish if you ask me. Then again, it took me a number of years to realise that I needed to wear 'full' protection at all times, I even thought full leather suits were a bit *extreme* on the road :Punk: ...I've come a long way! I guess some people are unaware or just plain ignorant like I was? :wacko:

NC
27th September 2004, 15:27
Heh - been there, done that, except I was only doing about 60, so I stopped and put my hands under my armpits. Phark that hurts, don't it?

:mellow: Yes, yes it does.

Little bruises all over your hands are not a good look :killingme

dhunt
27th September 2004, 15:36
Yeah I've seen several riders this year without them - on the motorway! Foolish if you ask me. Then again, it took me a number of years to realise that I needed to wear 'full' protection at all times, I even thought full leather suits were a bit *extreme* on the road :Punk: ...I've come a long way! I guess some people are unaware or just plain ignorant like I was? :wacko:
I think it is a lot of the time ignorance or just "I never bin it" attitude. After binning my old bike wearing full gear, I got thinking what would have happened if I hadn't been. Normally when I was commutting I just wore normal pants but that day I happened to be wearing my leather pants. That has made me much more safety conscious and now if I ride round town will wear draggin jeans and don't wear shoes any more, always boots.

Gloves have never been a problem for me as I wear them to keep my hands warm as well as to keep the skin on them.

David

vifferman
27th September 2004, 15:59
I think it is a lot of the time ignorance or just "I never bin it" attitude. Sometimes. But for some it's a calculated risk, weighed up against other factors. Like the times I've ridden without gloves (apart from in my youth, where I wore them only when it was really cold), I've weighed up the risk vs. nuisance factors, and just ridden VERY carefully (no wheelies or stoppies :yeah: )

I picked up a scooterist near work (Ponsonby), after he'd been bowled by a car. His scooter was a kewl, black Italian thing, brand new, with lotsa chrome, very styley, so he was wearing black jeans and jean jacket (not done up), a T-shirt, jandals, a 'shorty' helmet, and shades. His jandals got ripped off when he hit the deck, as did about a dinner plate sized piece of skin on his back. I felt positively overdressed, standing there in full gear. :o
Saw him a couple of weeks ago on his scoot. I didn't notice what he had on his feet, but at a cursory glance, he hadn't amended his dress code at all. Too important to look the part, and everyone knows scooters never crash. ;)

toads
27th September 2004, 16:20
I'm constantly having to remind/nag my son to wear gloves and his leather jacket. he figures if he's not going very far on his bike he doesn't need protective gear, a few weeks ago he had a little scare with a pot hole, he didn't come off his bike but he wore gloves for a whole week afterwards lol, You can talk to some people till you are blue in the face and they just "know best".

Krayy
27th September 2004, 16:26
I don't know why it is, but as long as I can remember, I get nervous when riding without gloves on. Even on my pedal-pushers! It just doesn't feel "right".

Holy Roller
27th September 2004, 16:51
Always worn gloves except when on the mighty AG100 chasing cows. Gloves have saved my skin a few times, sure they got damaged but rather them than my fingers. As a lad I came off my bicycle and the gravel rash on my hands was sooooo painful I don't want to experience that after binnin on the highway. I normally spend around $100-$150 on gloves, I like the gauntlet type that stop the wind from going up your arms.

aff-man
27th September 2004, 17:28
when i had 2 of my offs the gloves got wasted. If i hadn't had them i'd hate to think what my hands would look like (and they were low speed) Also how cold would your hands get. Bad for circulation :cold: :cold:

Gasman
27th September 2004, 17:39
:kick: Easiest question of the day. NO! I never ride without gloves. Usually too damn cold here anyway! I learnt the hard way many years ago, not from an off, but from losing circulation and having claw hands for days!

I also like having skin................

F5 Dave
27th September 2004, 18:04
Yeah it used to be the Ducati riders (bevel drive days) wore crap helmets as well. When I was helping instructing, we’d get outlaw wannabe guys showing up on Harleys & Triumphs who had obviously decided that they better get a licence one of these days but buggered if they would be pussies & wear gloves.

When hit up about it they claimed they needed the ‘feel’ & you can’t ride proper (like around a few cones) with gloves on. Well somehow we all managed so we’d send them home to get some gloves & they’d never return, which suited us.

Something like 90% of accidents happen on short trips. I’ve visited at least 2 friends quite cut up & with some level of long term damage doing a quick run into town in jeans, or a short test ride in overalls with no gloves.

Heck I’ve smacked my hand falling off the racebike at low speed & it really made me a believer in the recent knuckle armour protection trend. Despite minor padding on the gloves; my hand swelled up so much the knuckles weren’t discernable even when in a fist. Took ages to go down.

Storm
27th September 2004, 18:15
Having worked in snow with bare hands, I am all for preaching the gospel of gloves. If anything is going to slide across the cheese grater (road) I"d rather it not be my nerve endings thanks. Call me a pansy, but I happen to like the skin on my hands, and I'm not much good as a sparky if I cant hold my tools :bye:

Ms Piggy
27th September 2004, 18:17
when i had 2 of my offs the gloves got wasted. If i hadn't had them i'd hate to think what my hands would look like (and they were low speed) Also how cold would your hands get. Bad for circulation :cold: :cold:
Ditto on both counts!

When I had my binn I would have lost my little finger if I hadn't been wearing gloves and that was binning off at a snails pace. YIKES!

I always get a sick feeling in my stomach :sick: when I see riders out without good protection. :blink:

I'm with you aff-man, I can't see how your hands wouldn't get absolutely frozen riding without gloves! :cold:

Ghost Lemur
27th September 2004, 19:22
Tis funny this thread should come up today.

I was waiting at the bus stop (*mutters about having to use public transport*), and saw this scoot approaching. First thing I noticed was the huge leather jacket the guy was wearing. Thought wow, don't see a scoot paying so much attention to safety gear usually.

Then I happened to second glance and noticed that he was without glove. I have to admit I laughed. Here was a guy, big leather jacket, full face helmet with visor, and yet no gloves. Couldn't believe it, where's Darwin when you need him?

TwoSeven
27th September 2004, 20:18
People perspective of safety is funny. I see people with the full kit on (full face lid, leathers etc) on a scooter doing 20mph then you get the same people strap a piece of styrene to their heads get on a push bike and ride at twice the speed. Go figure.

k14
27th September 2004, 20:34
People perspective of safety is funny. I see people with the full kit on (full face lid, leathers etc) on a scooter doing 20mph then you get the same people strap a piece of styrene to their heads get on a push bike and ride at twice the speed. Go figure.

Very good point tiggerz. I've had first hand experience of what happens when you get introduced to the road at around about 50kph. Landed square on my helmet and smashed it into about 5 or 6 pieces. Saved my life, but I was still out cold for 5 mins or so. Probably better than nothing I suppose though.

I've never ever ridden a motorbike without gloves on. Both times I've crashed they have stopped me getting rash and the gloves have stod up quite well. I've just got some new astars ones with carbon fibre (oh yeah :2thumbsup ) knuckle protection, haven't "tested" them yet but hopefully they do their job properly when they are required.

Aucker
27th September 2004, 20:41
Saw him a couple of weeks ago on his scoot. I didn't notice what he had on his feet, but at a cursory glance, he hadn't amended his dress code at all. Too important to look the part..;)
what a complete knob.

Aucker
27th September 2004, 20:44
.. and having claw hands for days!
cool! claw hands. :angry:

Deano
27th September 2004, 21:03
Crazy not wearing gloves - hopefully the guy was on the way to the shop to get some.

No matter what the ride you should wear em - even a spill at 50kmh will rip your skin off no end.

Makes a good argument for wearing at least some type of glove on a pushbike.

White trash
27th September 2004, 21:23
Only time I ever not wore gloves, I was out behind the pub practicing wheelies on my B120 (don't laugh ya pricks, we all started somewhere).

Got 'er up into a very wobbly, third gear minger (3/4s through the box), front's starting to drop, one last heave on the bars, fuck I cant save this!

Straight off the back, one fucked tail light, two skinned knees and some VERY gravel rashed palms. The missus had to do all the work for a week :msn-wink:

Slingshot
27th September 2004, 21:56
I saw a guy riding down the gorge this morning wearing a sweatshirt, shorts & running shoes.
I had to look twice cause I couldn't believe it.

Nuts.

Blakamin
28th September 2004, 08:34
I've just got some new astars ones with carbon fibre (oh yeah :2thumbsup ) knuckle protection, haven't "tested" them yet but hopefully they do their job properly when they are required.

Knockin the mirrors off cages?? :eek:

toads
28th September 2004, 08:43
we are unfortunate enough to have to have a household of idiots living just down the road from us, they have an abundance of unwarranted unregistered vehicles barely running on 3 cylinders that they hoon up and down the hill all hours of the day and night, they also have 2 old 2 stroke motorbikes which are also un road worthy, they hoon around on these no jackets, no helmets, no footware other than jandals and definately no gloves, the whole fence at the top corner of the hill is gone from where they have gone over the bank twice, a drop of 60 meters or more, how the hell noone has been killed is beyond me, the guy responsible came out of jail 4 weeks ago, and it feels like 4 years!, I hope that he continues to wear no safety gear, it will undoubtedly save this country a small fortune in the long run! :headbang:

Fryin Finn
28th September 2004, 08:51
I can work with a broken leg and i have worked with a broken arm but if my hands are screwed with road rash I no work and no get paid :bash:

Pwalo
28th September 2004, 09:38
I'm with Finn on this one. I work on my PC all day. If I bugger my hands I can't work (that means staying home with my teenage sons, agghhh), and I can't ride.

No brainer really. I always wear decent helmet, jacket, gloves, and boots. Pain sucks, it really, really sucks.

LB
29th September 2004, 05:24
I've worn some pretty dodgy gear in the past when I was young and stupid, but I have always always worn gloves. And always worn boots.

Fryin Finn: are you back? I've met McCool!!!!!!!

Slipstream
29th September 2004, 09:32
..are a superstious (sp?) thing for me now.
The only time (so far) I've had a bike accident was when I wasn't wearing gloves.
They keep your hands from getting mangled, burnt, frostbitten and blister-free.

I agree, it's a no-brainer. Why wouldn't you wear gloves?

I have a pair of Spidi's now and they are the best fitting gloves I've ever worn.
Plus I think they look cool. :cool:

Milky
29th September 2004, 15:00
'tis what is accepted as the norm, so that is what happens. In addition, there is more of an emphasis on the thermodynamics and aerodynamics of the rider than safety. Have often thought the same to myself when I climb off the bicycle and on to the motorbike... Frequently I have come much closer to rolling down the road on the bicycle than the motorbike, but still I feel safe wearing lycra... (sorry for the mental images guys)

Coldkiwi
29th September 2004, 18:48
[QUOTE=The Handbrake]
They keep your hands from getting mangled, burnt, frostbitten and blister-free.

I agree, it's a no-brainer. Why wouldn't you wear gloves?
QUOTE]

EXACTLY. As for not feeling the controls, thats just twaddle. I ride every day and on the colder days I resort to polypropylene liners in my winter gloves and I've never had a problem trying to figure out my controls! Just an excuse for unco people with sausage hands I reckon!

Posh Tourer :P
29th September 2004, 21:50
Had to ride home with one glove on today - I left the other one on a bus... :wacko: Still, gonna go pick it up from the nice bus people tomorrow....

batesclan
14th October 2010, 19:45
Always wear mine.

A few years back a mate came off at "round town speeds" with his gloves inside his jacket. Ripped his hands to bits. Not a lot of sympathy from me. Started wearing them after that. Go figure

onearmedbandit
14th October 2010, 20:04
Awesome thread dredge. At least you could be bothered searching before starting a new thread.

Spazman727
14th October 2010, 20:50
Heh, yeah. I always wear gloves, unless its between classes at uni where one is at the bottom of the uni and the next is right at the other end (the bottom being almost the bottom of Anzac St and the top being almost the top of Symonds St). I always wear my jacket too, not necessarily bike pants though, but always jeans.

Corse1
14th October 2010, 21:31
Mate I ride with never wears gloves. Doesn't like the feel of them. I tell him he is a silly prick but thats his choice. Not even in winter:shit:

I have never ridden without them.

dilligaf_nz
14th October 2010, 22:25
I never ride without gloves. To me it's about as smart as only wearing shorts and T-shirt..

Dumbasses like that are what drive up our ACC payments. Stupid pricks should be made to pay for some of their rehab for not taking due care.

baptist
15th October 2010, 00:29
I never ride without gloves. To me it's about as smart as only wearing shorts and T-shirt..

Dumbasses like that are what drive up our ACC payments. Stupid pricks should be made to pay for some of their rehab for not taking due care.

Not wrong mate, I wear all my gear even to shoot up to the post office... ain't worth the risk:innocent: Cannot work out why if someone has enough experience riding to get a 6F, that they could be so stupid as to ride without gloves (or in jandals, shorts). I only know one person who has had a bad fall, he was wearing a helmet, gloves, good jacket, boots and jeans and he still lost skin up his thigh where the jeans ripped and wore away. no skin cover at all makes me shudder.

Jonno.
19th October 2010, 12:52

Half of New Zealand thinks riding a motorcycle is not taking due care :facepalm:

rachprice
19th October 2010, 13:09
Who is gonna wipe your ass when you scrap up both your hands???

Though Im chronic for not wearing correct footwear around town so who am I to judge, just dont ask me to wipe your ass!

White trash
19th October 2010, 13:17
Six fucking years! Is that a new record? where's "StatMan"?

Christ there's some names in that thread I haven't seen for a while, even my ex wife when I was still married to her :shit:

9rider
28th December 2010, 18:46
Mad without them, I wear gloves all the time

popelli
28th December 2010, 20:24
you can't legislate agaionst stupidity

but every summer you will see some zipperhead proudly wearing a full face lid, shorts, tee shirt, no gloves and sandels

and you wonder why ACC on bikes is so high

re comments on dodgey tyres, bottom line is if you can drop an bike and do less damage than the cost of a tyre then it all makes perfect sense

6ft5
30th December 2010, 20:26
Went to Cyclethreads today and just on the corner of Barry's point road a guy pulls up behind me with a pillion kid on a VTR or something. Both in shorts, T-shirt, no gloves, not sure of the footwear, but helmets yes.

I shook my head at them but the just smiled stupid cunts

Coming out of drooling over the new VFR1200 thinking how do I pay for that some 20 min later, the same guy rides past wearing the same skimpy stuff. I just don't get it, how frikkin stupid is that! Makes a mockery of riding safe and crancks up our ACC levies man i could just jank them off the bike and teach them a lesson or two.

bugger:angry::angry::angry:

ellipsis
30th December 2010, 21:21
...yer cant just go janking people off their bikes...even if they have'nt got gloves on...they are just zankers...

6ft5
31st December 2010, 07:41
i know it pisses me off that they make us look bad

scumdog
31st December 2010, 07:56
i know it pisses me off that they make us look bad

Pffft!

Don't worry about them - there's enough buggers on bikes that DO wear all the proper gear and still manage to make us look bad!

Smallfishnz
31st December 2010, 08:06
I have ridden once in the last 20 years without my gloves, I cant remember why, it was a big mistake, I was barrelling down the North Western and it started raining, rain hurts when it hits you at 100kmh.

Over the last week i have spotted four or five guys, mostly on scooters, in T-shirts shorts and Jandals, cant imagine what they would look like if they came off. One guy went past me (I was in my cage at the time) as if I was standing still.

All I can say is "idiots"

Cheers
Martin

6ft5
31st December 2010, 08:12
Pffft!

Don't worry about them - there's enough buggers on bikes that DO wear all the proper gear and still manage to make us look bad!

I guess you are right there thanks for putting it in perspective

Hawkeye
31st December 2010, 09:09
Rode for the first time without gloves last night just to pop around the corner to the shops. Less than 1k round trip. Couldn't wait to get home again. Fark that for a lark. Couldn't relax. Didn't enjoy it one bit. ATGATT for me.

What I think is worse. Been on a couple of group rides where a rider has turned up with all the gear. Leather jacket, leather pants, gloves with armour and boots.
Great you think. However, the kid on the back (probably 7-8) is sitting there with jeans, trainers, no gloves and just a thin jacket.
Ok to protect himself but his kid doesn't matter - FFS

Saw a pillion a couple of weeks ago getting off the back of a gixxer. Had jeans and a ski jacket on. But also had Knee, elbow and wrist protectors for a skateboard. Looked so funny but hey, at least they were being safety concious.

sgtp
31st December 2010, 11:54
As a scooter rider, hopefully soon to be 6L rider, I am going to buy the damn gloves once and for all. I have worn ski gloves through winter our of necessity, mind you. I have shopped for proper gloves, but its seems that a single pair wont do the job for year round riding. I wish I could find a waterproof/windproof glove that was cool enough for the summer and could be worn with a liner for warmth in the winter. I dont think that exists or have not found it, so it looks like I have two glove purchases in my future.

6ft5
31st December 2010, 11:58
As a scooter rider, hopefully soon to be 6L rider, I am going to buy the damn gloves once and for all. I have worn ski gloves through winter our of necessity, mind you. I have shopped for proper gloves, but its seems that a single pair wont do the job for year round riding. I wish I could find a waterproof/windproof glove that was cool enough for the summer and could be worn with a liner for warmth in the winter. I dont think that exists or have not found it, so it looks like I have two glove purchases in my future.

Welcome to the biking world :yes:

vifferman
31st December 2010, 14:31
... it looks like I have two glove purchases in my future.
You might try buying a summer glove, and use overmitts for in the winter.
I wear my summer gloves year-round, and just use the heated grips in winter. If it's wet or really cold, then I have to (reluctantly) get my Spidi H2Out gloves out of my gear cupboard (I hate thick gloves).
On the other hand, you could just become a glove whore like me - I have problems throwing gloves away, and have lots of "old, but they're too good to throw away" pairs in the cupboard.:Oops:

By the way (and getting back to the point of this thread), despite almost always wearing ATGATT, it's all about 'risk mitigation', and there are times I wear whatever I feel like wearing.

PrincessBandit
31st December 2010, 14:42
Rode for the first time without gloves last night just to pop around the corner to the shops. Less than 1k round trip. Couldn't wait to get home again. Fark that for a lark. Couldn't relax. Didn't enjoy it one bit. ATGATT for me.

What I think is worse. Been on a couple of group rides where a rider has turned up with all the gear. Leather jacket, leather pants, gloves with armour and boots.
Great you think. However, the kid on the back (probably 7-8) is sitting there with jeans, trainers, no gloves and just a thin jacket.
Ok to protect himself but his kid doesn't matter - FFS

Saw a pillion a couple of weeks ago getting off the back of a gixxer. Had jeans and a ski jacket on. But also had Knee, elbow and wrist protectors for a skateboard. Looked so funny but hey, at least they were being safety concious.

I've done the short ride to school a couple of times without them and kept in mind "mustn't put hands down if I come off..."
Heading down the Great South Rd the other day and saw a young bloke wearing jeans, sneakers, helmet and gloves with his dolly bird in a pair of up-her-crack shorts and jandals, complete with bare arms and hands. She was wearing a helmet though. I just shook my head. It was raining lightly as well so I hope her ride managed to keep his bike upright.

hellokitty
31st December 2010, 18:05

I tried wearing winter liners inside my gloves but found I could not feel a thing as they were too bulky. Get heated handgrips and you can wear the same gloves all year - just crank up the heat in winter :yes:

Pogo2
31st December 2010, 18:30

One for summer and winter and in between. As you sail through the air with the inevitable appointment with the tarmac it's way too late to say "I wish I'd put those gloves on"

If you going to do it you might as well do it properly. ATGATT no options.

Rhys
31st December 2010, 19:37
you can try wearing summer gloves with rubber gloves (cheap latex) on the out side keeps your hands warm and dry
Use to wear condoms over old boots to keep your feet dry, well thats what I told mum :innocent:

scumdog
1st January 2011, 10:05
you can try wearing summer gloves with rubber gloves (cheap latex) on the out side keeps your hands warm and dry
Use to wear condoms over old boots to keep your feet dry, well thats what I told mum :innocent:

Tried it but couldn't get gloves big enough.

Now use plastic bread-bag, they work well and are as cheap-as.:yes:

And if need be a rubber-band around the wrist stops them from working their way off while riding.

And being on a cruiser I don't have to worry about rain running down my jacket sleeves into my gloves

p.dath
1st January 2011, 10:33
I've worn gloves every time except once. They became completely saturated right through in rain. They were draining warmth from my hands and making them very numb, and combined with the wet leather made operating the controls difficult.

So I opted to remove them to improve the control I had.

6ft5
5th January 2011, 08:20
Amazing again yesterday. Was in Browns Bay having a coffee on the main street. A few guys ride by on SV650 JANDALS, SHORTS, T-SHIRT, NO GLOVES !!!!! Just a minor slip at 30kmh and the ambulance would be very busy and ACC would have to cough up. What is it that these clowns don't understand, makes me very angry to not be able to do something

p.dath
5th January 2011, 08:38
Amazing again yesterday. Was in Browns Bay having a coffee on the main street. A few guys ride by on SV650 JANDALS, SHORTS, T-SHIRT, NO GLOVES !!!!! Just a minor slip at 30kmh and the ambulance would be very busy and ACC would have to cough up. What is it that these clowns don't understand, makes me very angry to not be able to do something

Some people consider it dangerous to ride a motorcycle. Some people consider it dangerous to ride without leathers. Some people consider it dangerous to ride without gloves.

Be careful not to impose your personal safety profile on others ... in case others impose theirs on you.

However leading by example and helping educating others about your ideas is a great way to try and change others if you don't agree ...

ps. I am pro ATGATT.

steve_t
5th January 2011, 08:52

Were they wearing helmets? That's all the law demands. They may say that they're ACC levy payers so they can do what they want. Just cos I'm ATGATT, doesn't mean I can demand everyone else is

6ft5
5th January 2011, 11:29
Were they wearing helmets? That's all the law demands. They may say that they're ACC levy payers so they can do what they want. Just cos I'm ATGATT, doesn't mean I can demand everyone else is

Yeah they were wearing helmets but really, this is pathetic they have no respect for their own bodies, it doesn't take much to have a spill and the results could ... well be pretty ugly again you and I pay for this stupidity!:angry:

scumdog
5th January 2011, 12:57
Some people consider it dangerous to ride a motorcycle. Some people consider it dangerous to ride without leathers. Some people consider it dangerous to ride without gloves.

Be careful not to impose your personal safety profile on others ... in case others impose theirs on you.

Personal responsibility and all that...sadly it seems to have gone the same way as Brylcreem..

Berries
5th January 2011, 13:04
Yeah they were wearing helmets but really, this is pathetic they have no respect for their own bodies, it doesn't take much to have a spill and the results could ... well be pretty ugly again you and I pay for this stupidity!:angry:
Crap. The same could be said by the non riding public about anyone who rides a motorbike whether they are ATGATT or wearing a bikini. Nobody seems to moan about cyclists tootling along at 50km/h with no body protection, but on a motorbike at the same speed ? Burn them.

I shake my head when I see people riding motorbikes without gloves, and have seen plenty over the last week, but they aren't going to hurt me if they fall off so I don't care. What's next ? Those people who use open face helmets ? What about mat black helmets and dark motorbikes ? Next stop compulsory hi-viz.........

malcy25
5th January 2011, 15:08
All the above is true and ignoring ACC all I think about is, who's gonna wipe their bum for a few weeks while new skin grows!

pritch
5th January 2011, 17:06
What is it that these clowns don't understand, makes me very angry to not be able to do something

If they are under 25 years old their ability to link actions with consequences is underdeveloped. That part of the brain doesn't finish developing until about age 25 - and the evidence might suggest sometimes much later than that?

Your getting angry might cause you to have a heart attack but it will do SFA otherwise.

As for the need to buy a second pair of gloves...

There have been posts to KB along the lines of, "My helmet/boots/gloves (or whatever) stink". All sorts of remedies are offered. Better to avoid the problem altogether, don't wear the same helmet/boots/gloves etc every day.

There's no need to walk into the shop and buy two of everything but over the course of a year or two, and the passage of Christmasses and birthdays etc, the necessary gear can be accumulated.

motodrummer
5th January 2011, 18:01
Guilty! i do it all the time, as Yoda would say "hmmm..wreckless he is" Never think about falling off to tell you the truth... Sorry, i dont want anyone to think its a good idea, to each his/her own i guess- and the shiny side's been up for years! Allguds. :yes:

crazyhorse
5th January 2011, 18:04
Whilst sitting at a cafe the other day, I was astounded to see the amount of riders out there in shorts, tee-shirts, no jackets, and yes, no gloves

Maybe these riders think nothing will happen to them - I know its hot, but do you really think its sensible?

Owl
5th January 2011, 18:46

You're not a preacher by any chance are you?

Enough of the Nana posts already:facepalm:

superman
5th January 2011, 19:22
If they are under 25 years old their ability to link actions with consequences is underdeveloped. That part of the brain doesn't finish developing until about 25 - and the evidence might suggest sometimes much later than that?

Reasonable excuse then? My brains underdeveloped therefore I get to be a miscreant youth that makes stupid decisions?

Though you say that and it probably makes a lot of sense to most people... the other day I went for a ride to Port Waikato with two of my friends. Super hot day, turned up at their place in full leathers, pants, gloves, jacket, boots, helmet. They both looked at me like I was crazy and proceeded to put on sunscreen and wear t-shirt and shorts. :facepalm: At least they were being "Sun Smart"

Since that ride though one definitely won't do it again so that's good. I don't even find it that hot as long as your moving in the leathers. And with the slimy tarmac kicking up stones hitting them in the shins at 100km/h they weren't too happy courtesy of my rear tyre :innocent:

And they were wondering why bikers weren't waving at them... :blink:

motor_mayhem
5th January 2011, 19:50
I think it is a lot of the time ignorance or just "I never bin it" attitude.

Not to single one quote of many claiming all people who don't wear gloves are brainless, but did you wonder if perhaps we don't do it to torture other riders? I only sometimes wear gloves mostly because I find my hands sweat up a storm when I am wearing them, even in average temperatures. I should get some more ventilated ones but I haven't had time yet.

pritch
5th January 2011, 20:22
They both looked at me like I was crazy and proceeded to put on sunscreen and wear t-shirt and shorts. :facepalm: At least they were being "Sun Smart"

That's so tragic it's funny.

I once read that the average person is not very good at risk assessment. It's reportedly not uncommon (in the USA) to meet smokers who are worried about terrorist attacks.

superman
5th January 2011, 20:37
That's so tragic it's funny.

I once read that the average person is not very good at risk assessment. It's reportedly not uncommon (in the USA) to meet smokers who are worried about terrorist attacks.

Let's not get started at those very "special" yanks.

Ocean1
5th January 2011, 20:39
If they are under 25 years old their ability to link actions with consequences is underdeveloped. That part of the brain doesn't finish developing until about age 25 - and the evidence might suggest sometimes much later than that?

Hallelujah!!!

Praise the Lord and send the little bastards back to school to learn something.

Anything. For pity’s sake.

Dadpole
5th January 2011, 21:38
I just had to throw this in. Taken after a 160+ kmh test ride on a wet Wainui hill.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=227973

scumdog
5th January 2011, 22:03
I just had to throw this in. Taken after a 160+ kmh test ride on a wet Wainui hill.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=227973

Hey, I have a helmet JUST like that one up in me top gargre - however the jandals have long gone..:weep:

Dadpole
5th January 2011, 22:07
I hope you are not still wearing it. That photo was taken in 1981. We were tougher back then.

May I point out that the star is not me - I am much uglier.

scumdog
5th January 2011, 22:10
I hope you are not still wearing it. That photo was taken in 1981. We were tougher back then.

May I point out that the star is not me - I am much uglier.

Did the helmet have 'NOOF' written in black enamel across the back of it?

If so, I have it!:woohoo:

Dadpole
5th January 2011, 22:13
Don't think so. Is there still a head inside?

scumdog
5th January 2011, 22:19
Don't think so. Is there still a head inside?

Nah, went from Millers Flat to Brisbane yonk ago..

gatch
5th January 2011, 23:05
I've seen LOADS of people riding around in full leather kit, minus the gloves. It doesn't make me angry or encourage me to start beating my chest, yelling out various inane pro-ATGATT slogans in an half arsed attempt to save myself a few bucks in ACC levies.

Simply it boggles me. I just don't see the logic.

scumdog
5th January 2011, 23:16
I've seen LOADS of people riding around in full leather kit, minus the gloves. It doesn't make me angry or encourage me to start beating my chest, yelling out various inane pro-ATGATT slogans in an half arsed attempt to save myself a few bucks in ACC levies.

Simply it boggles me. I just don't see the logic.

Yep, in August/September last year I rode a kajillion miles at times (and long times) at 90mph (150kph) wearing fingerless gloves, a shorty helmet (only for insurance puposes), jeans and chaps, a long-sleeved shirt, a denim sleeveless jacket (with a 'NZ' and a silver fern on the back) - and a pair of Foster Grants.

And I didn't die.

But the roads were better, the other drivers/riders behaved a shit-load better than NZs drongos.

hellokitty
6th January 2011, 05:28
I was watching TV the other week, one of those NZ cop type shows, they pulled over a guy on a green bike. A comment was made that he was not wearing gloves, I can't remember what was said but the feeling seemed to be (from the cop) that as he wasn't wearing gloves, that the guy maybe dodgy. Basically the only safety gear worn was a helmet.

Did anyone see this? I found it interesting that the cop commented as he was pursuing the bike, the the rider was not wearing gloves. Like it was more likely he stole the bike as there were no gloves worn?

admenk
6th January 2011, 13:23
I see people all the time in all the correct safety gear worth an absolute fortune, but they still ride like idiots and put themselves and everyone else in danger. Often I find that the ones who like to go on about how expensive their helmets, gloves, jackets were, then ride off and act like complete wallies (in my humble opinion) on the road....maybe they think the safety gear makes them invincible?
We all know that it's a combination of loads of different factors that increases or decreases our safety on the road, but of course, we're all going to have different opinions on what that right combination is

baptist
6th January 2011, 18:23
Not to single one quote of many claiming all people who don't wear gloves are brainless, but did you wonder if perhaps we don't do it to torture other riders? I only sometimes wear gloves mostly because I find my hands sweat up a storm when I am wearing them, even in average temperatures. I should get some more ventilated ones but I haven't had time yet.

While I always wear my gloves I have to agree with the sweaty hand syndrome being a pain... I have had to dry mine over night before now... Last week however I bought a pair of Frank Thomas Sprint gloves (from Cycletreads) with leather mesh between the fingers to let air in, while still safe I have to say wow what a difference... now it is just the rest of me that feels like I'm riding in a sauna:facepalm:

supa.m
14th January 2011, 22:29
Someone once told me if you dont think gloves are important when riding a motorcycle try taking a piss with your hands behind your back. For many this is irrellevent but for the collective its meant $ in ACC. Interestingly its not often I see off roaders (real trail bikers I mean) not wearing the gear (all of it). Gloves, helmet and jacket are my minimums, past that I have applied the consequence/liklihood calculation, maybe we should all re calculate that?