PDA

View Full Version : Right, Australia, it's a big place, what to do?

Sniper
26th July 2007, 11:57
On Sunday we fly out to Aus (land of the parrots for Mahaman) for 3 weeks of a holiday away from work and annoying telemarketers. Looking forward to it as this is the first holiday in ages.

Plan is to spend a week on the Gold Coast, a week in Alice Springs/Darwin and a week on Groote Eylandt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groote_Eylandt) visiting family. Gold coast is pretty self explanitory, we are visiting theme parks, spending an entire day shopping (Whoo fucken whoo) and other stuff. 4 of the 7 days are allocated to the above. What other attractions is a must to see? I have heard of the Cabanara (????) market which is a thing to go to, wouldnt know if its worth it.

NT is pretty much planned for, going to see Ayers Rock, camp, shoot stuff and seeing the countryside. Pretty much a touristy walkabout with guns.

Groote is covered with fishing, boating, snake catching and usual wildlife harrasment. MissSniper is pretty keen for that, but Im not sure if she would like a pissed off snake or poking a croc with a stick. Can't go swimming because of Sharks/Sea Snakes (yea right)/ Stonefish/Jelly fish and other stuff that wont let you in the water.

What would YOU reccomend I see and/or do?

Dilligaf
26th July 2007, 12:04
Shopping I can help with... :yes:
If you're landing in Brisbane, at the end of the airport road is a fabulous outlet mall I think called 1 Airport Drive. Well worth a visit.
On the Gold Coast is another outlet mall called Harbour Town - again worth a visit. As an example, last year when we went I needed new sunnies. Retail hte Ray Bans I was looking at were from $325 - $350. I got them (exact ones) at HArbour Town for $150.
If you like Industrie (Meccano) clothing - shirt here for $90 are there for $20 - and designs that don't even make it to NZ.

Tickets for the theme parks are cheaper online so book before you go.

Trudes
26th July 2007, 12:06
You can go see my hot sister in Noosa.:shit:

The Pastor
26th July 2007, 12:09
rent a bike and hit the corners, oh wait they don't have any!

Conquiztador
26th July 2007, 12:12
Sounds like you will see miles and miles of the roads...

Don't trust the Ozzies when they tell you: "Yeah mate, it's just up the road". Well actually, they are not lying, but they have a different perspective on "just up the road".

Sniper
26th July 2007, 12:19
Shopping I can help with... :yes:
If you're landing in Brisbane, at the end of the airport road is a fabulous outlet mall I think called 1 Airport Drive. Well worth a visit.
On the Gold Coast is another outlet mall called Harbour Town - again worth a visit. As an example, last year when we went I needed new sunnies. Retail hte Ray Bans I was looking at were from $325 - $350. I got them (exact ones) at HArbour Town for $150.
If you like Industrie (Meccano) clothing - shirt here for $90 are there for $20 - and designs that don't even make it to NZ.

Tickets for the theme parks are cheaper online so book before you go.

Cool, thanks for that. I have heard that shopping is cheaper there because its a "tourist" destination. That goes against my better judgement as you shouldnt be getting things cheaper in tourist world

canarlee
26th July 2007, 12:22
That goes against my better judgement as you shouldnt be getting things cheaper in tourist world

thats backwards! stuff is allways more expensive in tourist places!

its prolly coz of costs and tax etc

gijoe1313
26th July 2007, 12:24
I'm interested in this "swipping" business! :devil2: Does this involve naughty time with the missus? :lol: :o

Sniper
26th July 2007, 12:32
I'm interested in this "swipping" business! :devil2: Does this involve naughty time with the missus? :lol: :o

:o Oops. Blame the 7 hours sleep I have had since the beginning of the week

tri boy
26th July 2007, 12:41
Get into some serious man stuff while on Groote.
Wild country with heaps of tasty game.(mud crabs,mmmmm):drool:

Sniper
26th July 2007, 12:51
Get into some serious man stuff while on Groote.
Wild country with heaps of tasty game.(mud crabs,mmmmm):drool:

Yea, thqats the plan aye

Big Dave
26th July 2007, 12:53
Ahhh the gold coast. In the 70's we used to ride to the Gold Coast or Byron - sleep on the beach all day and bar hop or pull a holiday girl all night.

You could go 5 days without a room.
Steal a shower at the caravan park.

Thems were the days.

Shopping..sigh.

peasea
26th July 2007, 13:09
Ahhh the gold coast. In the 70's we used to ride to the Gold Coast or Byron - sleep on the beach all day and bar hop or pull a holiday girl all night.

You could go 5 days without a room.
Steal a shower at the caravan park.

Thems were the days.

Shopping..sigh.

Pull a holiday girl all night??
Transvestite was she?

Living on the road's a bloody laugh isn't it? It's amazing what little you can survive on. My bones require a bed these days though.

Al
26th July 2007, 14:49
If you are around Darwin, give us a call on 0428 490 308....

We live in Batchelor (100km South of Darwin), gateway to the Litchfield National Park...

Al

Sniper
26th July 2007, 15:20
Will do Al, thanks. I remember seeing the name Lichfeild National Park on a map. Not sure if thats where we are going to be around, but will give you a bell if we are.

Thanks mate

gijoe1313
26th July 2007, 15:24
Man, I feel slightly envious - I still haven't gotten over the ditch yet! Ah well, no excuse to really! :lol: I do have some relis but no real impetus to meet and greet.

Sniper
26th July 2007, 15:36
Man, I feel slightly envious - I still haven't gotten over the ditch yet! Ah well, no excuse to really! :lol: I do have some relis but no real impetus to meet and greet.

Lol, cheers mate. I have to say hi to the rellies, they are my mum and sis :p

Yea, I would love to take alot more time off and see much more, but gotta love work and having to hand notice in :innocent:

Swoop
26th July 2007, 16:16
+1 for Harbour Town.

Australia Zoo if you have time.(Please refrain from shooting the exhibits...tasty as they might be)

imdying
26th July 2007, 16:32
Would be a shame to go all that way and not shoot a few Abos :yes:

tri boy
26th July 2007, 16:41
Would be a shame to go all that way and not shoot a few Abos :yes:

Gotta watch out for "feather foot". Him reel bad bloke. Him put you in bad dream time. Take dogs, feather foot, him hate dogs, him no botha ya brudda wit dogs round.

Jantar
26th July 2007, 17:08
Only a couple of hours north of the Gold Coast is The Australian Zoo. The one made famous by Steve Irwin. If you do go there, then make sure you arrive early as it takes about 5-6 hours to see it all.

Then you can continue north to Noosa and Mrs Kendog's hot sister. :dodge:

merv
26th July 2007, 19:22
All the fun parks are cool and Australia Zoo is well worth the drive.

The outlet mall near the Brisbane aiport is DFO http://www.dfo.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogsection&id=13&Itemid=43&outlet=Brisbane - you can't miss it you drive past it as you leave the airport. Great for cheap things - its like Dress Smart but a whole lot better for prices and range. They have them in Sydney and Melbourne too.

Brisbane itself aint bad either and one thing I like doing there is buy a ticket for the City Cat ferry and jump on at any stop and stay on it for a complete circuit up and down the river until you get back to the stop you got on at or wherever you decide to get off. It is a fantastic ride with a great view of the city and its near surroundings and only cost about $5 or $6 each. Public transport in Aus is so cheap with integrated fares bus, train, ferry. http://www.ourbrisbane.com/transport/ferries/

merv
26th July 2007, 19:24
You can go see my hot sister in Noosa.:shit:

I go to Aus a lot, can you introduce her?

Rhino
26th July 2007, 20:08
rent a bike and hit the corners, oh wait they don't have any!
You have obviously never been over the roads around Mount Tambourine.

Sniper, if you do hire a bike, the roads around that area and most of the Queensland hinterland are worth a look.

The Pastor
26th July 2007, 21:09
You have obviously never been over the roads around Mount Tambourine.

Sniper, if you do hire a bike, the roads around that area and most of the Queensland hinterland are worth a look.
wow the have a mountain, awesome man aussie has it so well off inregards to corners compared to nz. Damn a mountain! man I can't wait to see one of those!!!!

Big Dave
26th July 2007, 21:13
wow the have a mountain, awesome man aussie has it so well off inregards to corners compared to nz. Damn a mountain! man I can't wait to see one of those!!!!

Plenty of good mountain roads over there - the trouble is they are generally so far apart.

The Pastor
26th July 2007, 21:47
once again its captain obvious to the rescue! but as usal his side kick, dectecive sleuth isnt far behind!

another day saved by the super attentive team.

Sniper
27th July 2007, 09:46
Cheers for all the advice guys. Muchly apprieciated. Although Now MissSniper knows there is more than one shopping store around.

S

Sniper
29th July 2007, 02:48
Its 2:47 and Im having breakfast.

Catch you all upon my return. I'll try stay off KB, it is a holiday remember.

peasea
29th July 2007, 10:25
You have obviously never been over the roads around Mount Tambourine..

And you can get a good feed at the top, on the right, the wee place set down off the road.

Big Dave
29th July 2007, 11:57
once again its captain obvious to the rescue! but as usal his side kick, dectecive sleuth isnt far behind!

another day saved by the super attentive team.

Cheers

I feel privileged to have worked with such a master of stating the bleeding obvious such as yourself. Had to rub off.

The Pastor
29th July 2007, 13:47
learn with time, you will young one.