PDA

View Full Version : Riding on gravel - sportbike

carver
26th July 2007, 17:22
attention gravel noobs.

i have pretty good experience riding on gravel on big trail bikes, and recently i rode on the gravel on my sport bike (CBR 600)
i have shed advice on this matter before, and may i remind you all that the techniques used on a big dual sport bike are the same as the ones used on a sport bike.

1) look ahead, well ahead

2) keep your feet on the pegs

3) use throttle over deep stuff, to pull you clear.

4) hang off the bike to keep it upright, the bike should be 90 deg with the road.

5) stay away from deep stuff if you can.

6) use the front brake gently..is all good.

i never went under 70 k's on my BT 014 equipped CBR..
sport bikes are all good on gravel, dont be scared by it

later n00bs

merv
26th July 2007, 19:16
As an experienced gravel rider the issue to me when I venture on to gravel with the VFR is how squirrely it is on the road tyres - the rounded profile is great for side grip when leaning on seal but man does it make them feel loose on gravel - so like you say you have to keep it as upright as you can and keep up the momentum so inertia keeps you running as straight as you can. Compared to my dirtbikes the experience with the road bike on gravel sucks, but all biking is fun huh all the same.

mbazza
26th July 2007, 21:12
attention gravel noobs.

i have pretty good experience riding on gravel on big trail bikes, and recently i rode on the gravel on my sport bike (CBR 600)

I used to run my CBX750 on gravel in the past! Scared my sphincter shut for many k's. Down here we have Clutha 'round' river gravel like small ball bearings spread on the roads! Slight power, keep it up right, have some way of keeping the sweat out of your eyes and do it often. This seems to help the body to learn what to do. Cheers. :gob:

MVnut
26th July 2007, 21:32
Riding on gravel doesn't worry me but when people organise rides knowing there is a gravel section they should let others know in case they want to ride a different bike/avoid that section etc. I stay away from gravel where possible on the 'Italians', carbon guards are expensive and don't mix well:bye: with stones

imdying
27th July 2007, 08:40
Riding on gravel doesn't worry me but when people organise rides knowing there is a gravel section they should let others know in case they want to ride a different bike/avoid that section etc. I stay away from gravel where possible on the 'Italians', carbon guards are expensive and don't mix well:bye: with stones
Sounds like a painful experience you've had there? Would you feel better if you shared it with the group :yes:

MVnut
27th July 2007, 21:22
Used to live on a gravel road for 13 years so I've done plenty of time on them ( even flat out in top on an H2) but when you get a stone under an MVs carbon hugger they make a really loud noise as they EXPLODE. bummer.. byebye 300euros:bye:

Mr. Peanut
27th July 2007, 21:29
Gravel's fun, really teaches you to make the best of camber, I'm always faster and more confident when I hit the seal again.

moT
28th July 2007, 16:46
attention gravel noobs.

i have shed advice on this matter before, and may i remind you all that the techniques used on a big dual sport bike are the same as the ones used on a sport bike.

1) look ahead, well ahead

2) keep your feet on the pegs

3) use throttle over deep stuff, to pull you clear.

4) hang off the bike to keep it upright, the bike should be 90 deg with the road.

5) stay away from deep stuff if you can.

6) use the front brake gently..is all good.

i never went under 70 k's on my BT 014 equipped CBR..
sport bikes are all good on gravel, dont be scared by it

later n00bs

NAH learn to drift it its great fun bikes tend to correct themselves with a bit of encouragement just hit the gas or a bit of clutch to get the rear free!

Deano
28th July 2007, 16:55
:not:

10 characters

slopster
28th July 2007, 21:25
I have had a large stone flick into my front mudguard and make a hole the size of my fist and a big crack so sportbikes arn't exactly designed for it.

Rosie
29th July 2007, 10:22
if you ride a sports bike on gravel it will explode and you will die.

Does that mean my KR isn't a real sports bike :mellow:

DEATH_INC.
29th July 2007, 10:33
sportbikes don't like gravel???? I've been well over 200kph two up on a ZX12 on gravel...
I dissagree with hanging off and keeping the bike upright too, you have way less control that way, lean the bike over and sit upright on it like a MXer, lean on the front and look ahead ; keep yer head up. Use the loose stuff on the edges of the wheel tracks to hold your tyres in line when ya corner, and keep smooth, especially on the brakes. Don't blame me if ya crash!

tri boy
29th July 2007, 18:48
If your not worried about paint chips/scrathes etc, have a go(only as scary as you want to make it).
Going fast is the easy part, slowing/braking for corners, and allowing for the inevitable "out of my way, I've f**ked up" episodes is learnt from kms under your wheels.
Theres great scenery out there if you wish to venture off the tar.:yes:
The bash plate is quite new, but you get an idea of stone chip.

delusionz
30th July 2007, 00:46
There's a gravel road out west I ride through, I keep the bike upright, 2nd gear, gradual acceleration and aim for tyre tracks.

The Big J
30th July 2007, 05:19
Keep your arms relaxed, don`t lock up.

If you loose traction and freak out, lean forward so your arms aren`t tense. This usually smoothes out any wobbles and stops you overreacting when the rear comes around.

Ocean1
30th July 2007, 10:33
Ah, the various flavours of gravel...

Couple of things I've noticed, there's usually traction in the wheel ruts where there's no gravel. You can use any heavy gravel on the outside of a corner as a berm. The bits where there's just a single layer of stones over the base is often the most trecherous.

vifferman
30th July 2007, 11:30
As an experienced gravel rider the issue to me when I venture on to gravel with the VFR is how squirrely it is on the road tyres - the rounded profile is great for side grip when leaning on seal but man does it make them feel loose on gravel - so like you say you have to keep it as upright as you can and keep up the momentum so inertia keeps you running as straight as you can.
True, and keeping the speed up also makes the bike more stable. I found when riding the VFR two-up up to Cape Reinga (and on several gravel roads around there - a total of about 60-80km on gravel) that it was much better over 90 km/h than under, and it tended to 'float' over the bumps better. The DCBS was great when braking - used the front brake lever to scrub off speed, then just the back brake pedal, as even stomping fairly hard on it it didn't lock up either end. :niceone:

While I'd still rather ride a trailie/adventure bike on gravel, or the VFR on tarmac, I got to quite enjoy it once my confidence grew. Best bit was some guy on a quad that came out of a side road, and had this, "Heh - I can take him!" look on his face, and I literally left him in my dust. (And no, it wasn't a farm bike.)

scumdog
30th July 2007, 19:19
I used to run my CBX750 on gravel in the past! Scared my sphincter shut for many k's. Down here we have Clutha 'round' river gravel like small ball bearings spread on the roads! Slight power, keep it up right, have some way of keeping the sweat out of your eyes and do it often. This seems to help the body to learn what to do. Cheers. :gob:

True about the Clutha gravel, ride on that and you can ride on anything.

Lotsa weight on the pegs help.:yes:

Lil_Byte
30th July 2007, 19:28
Have found just hanging on and staying away from the deep gravel seems to work. But then was bought up on gravel and didn't see those black roads til I were 27 or there about.

Things are pretty basic in the middle of the deep south :scooter:

Katman
31st July 2007, 20:56
I can't believe it took till post #15 before the most important factor was mentioned - stay relaxed.

Solarwind
29th August 2007, 23:10
My first ever crash was on a hairpin intersection on gravel due to recent roadworks, the rear end just slid right out from under me at about 10kph, crushed the fairing and exhaust all down one side of my Ninja 250. The gravel was only partly to blame, my inexperience and inattention contributed.