PDA

View Full Version : River Road, Jerusalem

scootnz
27th July 2007, 19:01
Can anyone tell what the gravel section of this road is like? Any idea how many km's, and what kind of gravel? ie big chip, small chip, mud etc.

Skunk
27th July 2007, 19:31
Starts out sealed and works it's way to muddy gravel. Passable by any car and bike if you're determined to do it. Trail/adventure bike recommended.

riffer
27th July 2007, 19:55
My ex's father lives in Pipiriki so I've spent many a time going up the River Road. I'd definitely recommend at the very least an adventure bike to go up this road. The gravel at this time of year gets a bit thin in places and the roads can get a bit muddy. I've had lots of fun riding dirt bikes and quads up and down this road.

But be warned. The locals don't believe in warrants, registration, maintenance of vehicles or speed limits and they're partial to the odd beer and a bit of wacky backy while driving. Be prepared to get out of the way in a hurry.

It's about 65km from the turnoff to Raetihi. The road is mainly sealed until about 5km south of Jerusalem so if you're only going to Jerusalem you're okay.

Crisis management
27th July 2007, 20:09
I rode it about 4 weeks ago and as others have said it is gravel from Raetihi (ish) to a bit after Jerusalem. Raetihi to Pipiriki was variable surface & slippery on shaded parts, mostly hard packed with small patches of lose gravel intermitently. Pipiriki to the seal part was better, again hard packed mostly but with a few stretches of deep gravel to the middle and edges (car wheel track areas were clear).
I rode it in the rain on a DR650 with suitable tyres mostly at 70km's upwards and apart from the times I tried playing in the gravel, traction was acceptable.
I would happily ride it in that condition on road tyres so with a bit of common sense I can't see you having any problems.

Just get out there, whats life without an adventure!

edit: The previous posts (sorry Skunk & Riffer) seem a bit conservative in my opinion and paint a worse picture than the road I was on. I would think it rideable by anyone / any bike in the condition I found it. For example another KBer rode worse roads than this last week on a GN250 (theres a post in adventure bikes bit).
However, weigh up the advice and decide yourself.....

banditrider
27th July 2007, 20:47
Been a while since I've been on it so go with the other guys' more recent info. But don't let the road condition stop you - it's a great ride. I had a ball on it on my old RF once (road was in awesome condition then). Lotta nice scenery to gawk at too. Only problem I had was wondering whether the pig (four legged one) was going to jump out the drain and try to take me on...

Must take the Bandit through there again one day.

tri boy
27th July 2007, 21:01
What kind of bike ya on?
Not the best place for a lil ol scoot.

Skunk
27th July 2007, 22:58
Lotta nice scenery to gawk at too. Only problem I had was wondering whether the pig (four legged one) was going to jump out the drain and try to take me on...

Must take the Bandit through there again one day.
You're not wrong - I got a few pics of our 'Nowhere to Somewhere' trip here (http://www.skunkworks.net.nz/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=N2S-pics). Had the same issue with a few pigs myself.

T.W.R
27th July 2007, 23:21
But be warned. The locals don't believe in warrants, registration, maintenance of vehicles or speed limits and they're partial to the odd beer and a bit of wacky backy while driving. Be prepared to get out of the way in a hurry.

:shutup: Especially the DOC workers based around Koriniti :yes: partial to huge amounts of alcohol and goldie :doobey:
some of the single lane pieces of road coming back towards Wangas can be interesting when you strike a local too :dodge: they drive fast & know the road too well :wacko:

scootnz
28th July 2007, 05:39
Thanks, thats very informative. Will be coming from Wanganui end and heading north to Raetihi. Not travelling til Cold Kiwi weekend, so still 4-5 weeks away. Yes, planning to go by scoot - I have ridden on gravel before, but it can slow me down a lot so wanted a better idea of the conditions before I decide which way to go. We have an alternative route on SH4 which most of the group will travel on, but my partner is really keen to go this way, and to be honest so am I - I'll just have to start a lot earlier that day...

Skunk
28th July 2007, 13:11
The scenery is worth the effort. If you have a look at the pics I linked to you'll see there are old relics too.

banditrider
28th July 2007, 15:35
You're not wrong - I got a few pics of our 'Nowhere to Somewhere' trip here (http://www.skunkworks.net.nz/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=N2S-pics). Had the same issue with a few pigs myself.

Found a pic of my little ride through there - only a scan though.

scootnz
28th July 2007, 16:15
checked out some of the photos, thanks - is that Cathie in the boat? I used to work with her, she told me she'd done this trip.

The scenery is worth the effort. If you have a look at the pics I linked to you'll see there are old relics too.

Skunk
28th July 2007, 22:42
checked out some of the photos, thanks - is that Cathie in the boat? I used to work with her, she told me she'd done this trip.
Yep, my wife. Skunk_Control on here.

_Shrek_
29th July 2007, 01:16

great pics Skunk would have been a nice ride

Pancakes
9th August 2007, 12:26
My old Ma just came over for a visit and loved all the photo's! She lived in the commune down there with James K. Baxter and has wandered all over those parts. Great work making her day!

mbazza
17th August 2007, 21:43
Interesting road by the sound of it. Have added it to the list, "Great N.I. Twisty Tour" of the future. Thanks. Cheers. :scooter:

Bandit Rider
18th August 2007, 21:51
If you are OK riding on gravel roads, the type of bike is not a big issue. Went through in the wet on a bandit with a pillion, just enjoyed the trip. It is a really good route to take, have enough time, and enjoy.