PDA

View Full Version : Totally fresh noob needs advice

Lucker
27th July 2007, 21:15
Heya all,
been lurking on the forums for awhile but I'm moving to Auckland. i've always wanted to ride and now I think its a good option to dodge the Auckland traffic and for the thrill of it.

But I've no idea where to start on getting the license. I've been driving for 10years. Any advice on where to go/practice ways to get the license in Auckland?
Nor what kinda gear to get or where to get it. Any tips?

TIA

Zuki Bandit
27th July 2007, 21:17
Me not from noorkland, but welcome to KB mate!!!

Mr. Peanut
27th July 2007, 21:35
Some good quality cordura gear is always a good investment, I bought leathers and sold my cordura, only to buy cordura again!

Go for a reputable brand and you wont regret it, some of the trademe stuff is rubbish.

As for a starter bike, my pick is a Honda Hornet, or a Yamaha Scorpio.

EJK
27th July 2007, 21:39
FIRST OF ALL, you must take the Basic Handlings Test.
I took the test at Passrite driving academy. It costs about $130 i believe...
Visit here: http://www.passrite.co.nz/courses/cycles/cycles.asp
Look at the course date here: http://www.passrite.co.nz/courses/cycles/cyclesbasic.asp
and make an appointment by calling them or E-Mailing them.

I think this is one of the first step of getting the license. Ask someone else for furthur detail lol im a beginner aswell :)

Welcome to two-wheelers world! :)

Macktheknife
28th July 2007, 00:17
Or you could call Lee Rusty on 021 NEW RIDER and he can do the test, provide a bike and helmet for about $50. Sunday afternoon in Otahuhu.
Give him a call.

discotex
28th July 2007, 17:59
I did my basic handling with Riderskills for $130 (incl test, helmet and bike). Handy if you're central or out west (they do it on Rosebank Rd).

http://www.riderskils.co.nz/default.asp?pageref=basichandling&rightbar=none

If you've driven a manual and ridden a pushbike you should be able to handle passing the basic handling skills test first go with no prior practice. Riderskills use GN150's which are so easy to ride.

After that you just need to do the learner scratchy. All the practice tests can be done online here if you're worried about it. http://www.roadcodetest.co.nz/

As for gear.. Well if you're lucky you might get some stuff at the Motomail clearance store nice and cheap. I'd say go codura until you feel you need leather. It's cheap, cheerful and waterproof if it's half decent.

Walking into a store when you're a newbie is a bit daunting. Feel free to PM me and I can come with ya some time.

klingon
28th July 2007, 22:17
Any advice on where to go/practice ways to get the license in Auckland?
Nor what kinda gear to get or where to get it. Any tips?

I second what's been said above - I went to Lee Rusty for my basic handling test, and he gave me all the training I needed to pass. I had never ridden a motorbike before so don't worry if you're a total beginner. He will teach you at your own pace.

As for gear, I also second what discotex said, especially the bit about getting someone to go along with you. I took Mack the Knife as my personal shopper and it was great! He knew a bargain when he saw one, could speak to the shop staff in their own language, and made really good recommendations.

Welcome to the world of newbie bikers. It's the dawn of a whole new lifestyle for you! :scooter:

Deviant
30th July 2007, 14:24
I also agree with both, and I did the riderskills course and test. They were great. Very patient. Motomail on College Hill is a very good store and the guy who served me was excellent, recommending the right gear.

For licences, I spent a whole Saturday reading through the car and bike road code, did all the questions, looked up and memorised answers I wasn't sure of, and passed both the following Monday 100%. I agree about the bikes, I have a GN250 that i'm still learning to ride- it feels big but everyone says I'll get used to it very soon.

Good luck, and welcome!

Lucker
31st July 2007, 03:52
Thanks for all the suggestions and good bits of advice Its always good to have someone along whos made the mistakes before:yes: