PDA

View Full Version : Gettin NAKED

flying_zzr250
27th September 2004, 23:06
Hi... every one

Im new to bikin and have started a project of my own.
Makin my zzr250 naked. Quite a mission.

Problems Im facing:
1) speedo........ gettin very different views abt speedos from vendors and people. some say there are different ratios and u need to match them or else it wont read write. some say not.

2) lookin for right foot brake bracket

3)Paintin
I m paintin some parts myself and some gettin it done by painter
Gettin the wheels and frames powder coated

4) The engine has a lot of chips and oxidation to the paint job. Im plannin to paint it myself but my mates suggests it would chip off and will make the whole thing look even worse. I have done my radiator and exaust pipes with VHT paint and it looks nice. So not sure what to do with the engine.

Any help would be GREAT.

FROSTY
27th September 2004, 23:13
Well dude as i said in ya mates thread. i've done a lot of nekkid bikes.
I can tell ya for certain . Speedo will work fine as long as ya can get the cable to match up.
Brackets can be cut out of 8mm ally sheet to suit footpegs etc.

Ghost Lemur
28th September 2004, 11:51
If you're painting the engine make sure you use a heat resistant paint. It gets damn hot and the wrong paint will peel.

looking foward to some pics btw... *hint*hint* :D

vifferman
28th September 2004, 11:55
4) The engine has a lot of chips and oxidation to the paint job. Im plannin to paint it myself but my mates suggests it would chip off and will make the whole thing look even worse. I have done my radiator and exaust pipes with VHT paint and it looks nice. So not sure what to do with the engine..Ehhh.. what would your mates know.
I've done a similar project to yours (XBR500RS Mutant) and repainted everything, including the engine, using some VHT or whatnot. It looked fine, and stayed that way.
Just remember preparation is the KEY.

flying_zzr250
28th September 2004, 18:05
so how do i prepare the engine.

kerryg
29th September 2004, 11:02
so how do i prepare the engine.

Supposing you want to paint it, not beadblasty/polish or whatever, what you first have to do is get to a clean grease-free flaking-paint free metal surface. Get some degreaser (buy it at the Warehouse, under $20 for about 4 litres) and brush it on with a stiff brush and wash off with water (household hose is good enough). You might need to have a couple of goes and remove any caked on grease with a stick or something. You might want to wire-brush it (I recommend a brass wire brush preferably) to remove any flaking paint. Paint is only as good as the surface you apply it to so you need to spend time getting it clean. Buy a can of high temperature engine paint at Repco. It comes in 2 or 3 varieties and VHT makes it and possibly others too,. You don't need the ultra high temperature (1200degF) exhaust paint. There's one which is specifically for engine painting and I think good for around 800degF but I don't remember exactly. I've used it very successfully. It is very durable, looks just like the factory stuff. I'd recommend it. You don't need any primer, just spray it straight onto the bare metal. Mask your fasteners and any other hoses/clamps/wires/fitting because overspray onto those makes the job look rough.

vifferman
29th September 2004, 11:20
Yeah - what kerryg said.:niceone:

That's basically what I did with my XR500 engine, except I think I used kero for the first degreasing, then followed that up with degreaser, then detergenty water, then rinsing. What he didn't mention (and it should be obvious) is to securely plug all orofices (your own too, if you like :eek: ) before cleaning. You may also want to mask or remove any bits you don't want covered in paint, like chromed fasteners and the like.
I finished up by sanding the edges of the fins with fine sandpaper to remove the paint and restore the factory look.

flying_zzr250
29th September 2004, 22:50
i was thinkin on the same track. thx for buildin the confidence.

btw how many coats shld do a good enough job?

barno
29th June 2011, 22:52
Supposing you want to paint it, not beadblasty/polish or whatever, what you first have to do is get to a clean grease-free flaking-paint free metal surface. Get some degreaser (buy it at the Warehouse, under $20 for about 4 litres) and brush it on with a stiff brush and wash off with water (household hose is good enough). You might need to have a couple of goes and remove any caked on grease with a stick or something. You might want to wire-brush it (I recommend a brass wire brush preferably) to remove any flaking paint. Paint is only as good as the surface you apply it to so you need to spend time getting it clean. Buy a can of high temperature engine paint at Repco. It comes in 2 or 3 varieties and VHT makes it and possibly others too,. You don't need the ultra high temperature (1200degF) exhaust paint. There's one which is specifically for engine painting and I think good for around 800degF but I don't remember exactly. I've used it very successfully. It is very durable, looks just like the factory stuff. I'd recommend it. You don't need any primer, just spray it straight onto the bare metal. Mask your fasteners and any other hoses/clamps/wires/fitting because overspray onto those makes the job look rough.

gidday I've got a can of high temp engine paint (matt black) for the Impulse's headers /pipe. I'm starting with a degrease, a wire brush, a light sand with 600-grit paper. I'm wondering about the high-temp primer - having trouble locating any of the stuff - I noticed you didn't use any - did you notice any effects of it not sticking or anything like that. I was thinking of one coat, wait a couple of hours, 2nd coat, same, 3rd coat, spray it on - wait 5 mins then take the bike for a ride as a bit of a light 'bake'.

hayd3n
29th June 2011, 23:04
pictures??????????????????

Pumba
1st July 2011, 22:42
Holy thread dredge, given that this dates back nearly 7 years if they issue hasn't been sorted yet it really wasn't important.