PDA

View Full Version : Tube in tubeless tyre?

fergie
29th July 2007, 15:57
have a slow leak in my front tyre, it is a tubeless, is it possible/acceptable to have a tube fitted or is that a no-no?

superslug
29th July 2007, 16:08
It's not something i would do,Not a fan of tubes unless its in my dirt bike! :yes: i think it would be better to find the leak. If you havent got a nail in tyre then it could be a leak between tyre and rim which may just need tyre removal and bead clean. But also check your valve too. Cheers.

mark247
29th July 2007, 17:26
I have had a tube in a tubeless tyre before, worked fine. But it would be better just to find the leak and patch it.

Paul in NZ
29th July 2007, 18:02
A tube in a tubless tyre is no big deal....

A tube on a tubeless rim could be a very big deal....

boman
29th July 2007, 18:21
A tube in a tubeless tyre is no worries, but a good tyre shop should be able to put a patch on it and keeep it tubeless. Use a tube as a last resort, because, with a tube in, a little hole will make a tyre go flat fast.

bimotabob
29th July 2007, 20:01
Hi

I think you will also find that adding a tube will severly drop the max safe speed down according to the tyre manufacturers.

Cheers

johnnyflash
29th July 2007, 20:24
My past experiences of putting tube in TL tyres on a cage, have been a problem that I would NOT want on my bike, My 4x4 had rims that didnt seal properly, 1st time my new Tubed wheel got a blow out at 100 odd kph, second time, similar and 3rd same, each time it went back to major tyre dealer for repair, finally 4th time I got an old fellow who pulled it apart and said, not a smart idea, tubed tyres are made with really smooth insides, not so with modern tubeess, they aint so fussy, so he dresses inside up, and no more problems, Second wheel I had done a few years later, similar problems, blow outs... this time I stod by while they ripped off the tyre, looked inside myself and this tyre had a manufactures label on the inside (just a little sticky paper label,) right where it blew.. So, why bother risking life and limb, get it sorted properly..

zadok
29th July 2007, 20:32
My past experiences of putting tube in TL tyres on a cage, have been a problem that I would NOT want on my bike....
Each to there own, but my tyres has to have a tube (spokes). I have Metzeler Tourances which are tubeless tyres and I don't have any problems.

Kickaha
29th July 2007, 21:12
It is quite acceptable to run a tube in a tubeless tyre, however that isn't as good a option as fixing the tyre properly in the first place

The tyre still needs repairing where it was punctured even if a tube is fitted to stop moisture penetrating the carcass and possibly causing seperations

If a tube is fitted by someone who knows what they are doing it won't cause any problems,one of the big problems with the tubes available is crap quality, I'd only be fitting tubes made in Japan by Bridgestone or Dunlop or made in Europe by Michelin or Metzler

Pancakes
9th August 2007, 11:33
You can but it's not the answer to your problem as others have said. 4x4's do it so they can run low pressures in sand or mud tyres (down to 10psi or lower) If your touring or adventure riding you can use a similar liquid mix like tubeless mountain bike set-ups. Either get some Stan's tubeless fluid or mix 50/50 liquid latex (hobby or SPX shops) and water, if a small lead develops the fluid blocks the hole.

Always check your tyres tho. Mine had worn quite thin and I always pick the glass/metal and crap out weekly (or asap if you know you may have run thru something). I started to pull on a bit of metal and it hissed at me so off to the tyre shop! At best I avoided a stranding and worst maybe a blowout or sudden loss of pressure. Highly reccomend tyre cleaning (got into the habit as a cycle courier). I don't think many things go straight thru the whole casing first time but if you keep riding things will worm their way thru.