PDA

View Full Version : A first trials bike

carver
30th July 2007, 17:08
hey guys, due to a shift in perspective of life, i may now be saving my hard earned dollars to get-a trials bike

a few questions for those in the know

1) what type? i am looking to spend 4k max.

2) how big

3) what should i look for in my first trials bike?

i have ridden the 315R montessa a few time and liked it alot.

any advice is appreciated

Ocean1
8th August 2007, 00:10
hey guys, due to a shift in perspective of life, i may now be saving my hard earned dollars to get-a trials bike

a few questions for those in the know

1) what type? i am looking to spend 4k max.

2) how big

3) what should i look for in my first trials bike?

i have ridden the 315R montessa a few time and liked it alot.

any advice is appreciated

$4K will get you a reasonable bike. Anything less than 4-5 years old which has been looked after is OK, Gas Gas, Scorpa, Montessa, Sherco, there's bugger all between them. Really depends on how you feel about the wee small differences, need to try them.

Engine size is almost irrelevant, most of them are similar anyway. There's a bit of difference between 2 stroke and 4 stroke in terms of riding style but the modern 4 strokes have only been around 2 - 3 years and I don't think you'll find one under $4K in reasonable nick.

Have you been to a couple of meetings? Seriously, if you turn up at a club day and show some interest most trials guys will give you their bikes to play with, you won't find a more friendly bunch. Don't know if there's a club in your area but find the closest one dude, they'll tell you way more than you want to know.

If you're experience has been mostly road bikes you've got a bit of un-learning to do :laugh:

Luck dude, keep us posted huh?

carver
9th August 2007, 17:20
$4K will get you a reasonable bike. Anything less than 4-5 years old which has been looked after is OK, Gas Gas, Scorpa, Montessa, Sherco, there's bugger all between them. Really depends on how you feel about the wee small differences, need to try them.

Engine size is almost irrelevant, most of them are similar anyway. There's a bit of difference between 2 stroke and 4 stroke in terms of riding style but the modern 4 strokes have only been around 2 - 3 years and I don't think you'll find one under $4K in reasonable nick.

Have you been to a couple of meetings? Seriously, if you turn up at a club day and show some interest most trials guys will give you their bikes to play with, you won't find a more friendly bunch. Don't know if there's a club in your area but find the closest one dude, they'll tell you way more than you want to know.

If you're experience has been mostly road bikes you've got a bit of un-learning to do :laugh:

Luck dude, keep us posted huh?

yeah, i have been to a club meeting before, and played with a 315R..
my experience has been uh..everywhere.
adventure, trail riding, road riding on everything from scooters to sport bikes.
what is the servicing on a two stroke trials bike like?
how long will a piston and set of rings last, and how many hours to a oil change?

Ocean1
9th August 2007, 20:44
what is the servicing on a two stroke trials bike like?
how long will a piston and set of rings last, and how many hours to a oil change?

Apart from cleaning it maintenance is low, less than the big dirt bikes. You might break things but the only things that usually wear out are tyres sprockets and chain. They can take a pounding but generally they see less use than other dirt bikes, the things to check on second hand bikes are suspension linkages, swingarm bearings wheel bearings, anything that don't like water. :yes: Unless you chuck it into a stream the engine should go several seasons hard use without touching it. 2 stroke oil changes? can't remember what the book said, I changed it way more regularly than that anyway, just in case the last wee swim had contaminated it, cheap insurance.

kiwisurf
1st December 2007, 11:44
Hey mate. Im in Hamilton and have my bike for sale...Its a bit more expensive than you want to spend at $6750 but it is mint. Its a 05 290 Sherco in immaculate condition. Let me know if your interested.
Hamilton club is very active in the sport. I only stated riding about a year ago but theres allways plenty happening.
As far as service go's theres not much to do. As you dont rev them like a motorcross bike a piston/ ring could easily last a 2-3 seasons or more.
I have not replaced a tyre yet....should get at least a season from a tyre.
I usually change the gearbox oil every 3-5 rides or if im in a lot of water.
Service the supension dog bones maybe every 5 rides and and shock oil every 6 months.

The best thing about the bike is the ammount i get to ride it....Usualy practice 1-2 days a week and a trial or fun ride in the weekends...not many motox bikes get that much use....

Have a look at http://www.sherco-moto.com/wayne_corner.html theres all sorts of manuals in there for servicing the shercos and it shows you just how easy it is.
Chur.

Craig.....

carver
2nd December 2007, 17:32
Hey mate. Im in Hamilton and have my bike for sale...Its a bit more expensive than you want to spend at $6750 but it is mint. Its a 05 290 Sherco in immaculate condition. Let me know if your interested.
Hamilton club is very active in the sport. I only stated riding about a year ago but theres allways plenty happening.
As far as service go's theres not much to do. As you dont rev them like a motorcross bike a piston/ ring could easily last a 2-3 seasons or more.
I have not replaced a tyre yet....should get at least a season from a tyre.
I usually change the gearbox oil every 3-5 rides or if im in a lot of water.
Service the supension dog bones maybe every 5 rides and and shock oil every 6 months.

The best thing about the bike is the ammount i get to ride it....Usualy practice 1-2 days a week and a trial or fun ride in the weekends...not many motox bikes get that much use....

Have a look at http://www.sherco-moto.com/wayne_corner.html theres all sorts of manuals in there for servicing the shercos and it shows you just how easy it is.
Chur.

Craig.....

thanks mate, im all set now..
however i would like to have a bit of a play with the hamilton club some time in the future

kiwisurf
3rd December 2007, 11:37
Hamilton club is having a trial in Cambridge at French Pass Road "Bombers Property" on Sunday 9th Dec. I dont have all the detail with me but will get them and post them up. Come along for a look!!!

kiwisurf
3rd December 2007, 11:39
Found it.

HAMILTON MOTORCYCLE CLUB

Christmas Trial
SUNDAY 9 December 2007
Venue: Bomber’s Property, French Pass Road, Cambridge
Signposted from the corner of H/W 1 and Victoria Road in Cambridge
Permit No : Pending
Sign On : 09:30
Start : 10:30
Finish : 15:00