PDA

View Full Version : NZ riding trip, keen but clueless

greshaki
31st July 2007, 19:54
Gday all, this is my first post here. Basically I am coming to say hello in March 08 and ride around both islands. Ive never been to NZ before but it's been a goal to come and see the sights for a long time now. I should have 3 weeks to ride all over.

I have a lot of questions, not least where to go and what roads to ride. Im flying into Auckland but have not planned exactly where to go. If there are awesome places and roads that you know of (backpacker lodges to stay at too), north or south island, please post them up and I'll put a pin in my map at home for it! And how common are wettas? Are they all over the place or do you really have to try to find one? Theyre um, pretty bloody big..

Good to be here!

Delphinus
31st July 2007, 20:12
You've picked an absolute primo time to come over! Great weather round then.
As for great rides - South island, almost everywhere is fantastic. Especially West Coast. Make sure you do it at least once.. or 6 times.
Backpackers - I've always been happy with the YHA when I've used them. http://www.yha.co.nz/default Get a membership and you get discounted rooms and stuff. Its over in oz too so you may already know about it.

Wetas... they often block entire highways when they are in the migration phase. Especially round Invercargill. Usually late march-april. You need to exit the area asap if you come across a horde of them, (you cant miss it, 1000's across the road).

Just kidding you dont see them at all almost. Usually hide in firewood etc. I haven't seen one for years.

Blackbird
31st July 2007, 20:21
Get yourself a copy of the New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas by Peter Mitchell, ISBN 10: 1-877302-32-5. You get photos, routes, grin factor and everything in between. It's the best book available.

If you have just 3 weeks, fly into Christchurch and stick to the south island, it's a paradise for bikes. If you want to see a detailed SI ride report from March this year: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=52569.

You can hire virtually any bike you want down south.

sels1
31st July 2007, 20:22
Welcome aboard the site. Plenty of info here if you have the time to read thru it. Have a dredge thru the "ride report" threads and there have been several other similar queries from o'seas riders that have got plenty of replies. Are you going to hire a bike?

btw, they is an ex-kiwi KB member in Perth with the site name Zadoc - pm him he may help

greshaki
31st July 2007, 20:46
Bloody hell Delphinus you had me going! Was about to reschedule the whole trip! Excellent idea with the YHA membership, thanks

thanks Blackbird, just rang the bookshop they can get that in for me

I am hiring a bike when I get there. Did toy with getting my SV over there but stuff that, its too far and too expensive. Prolly end up on something affordable, looks like the V-strom 650s are fairly easy to come by.

And I recognise that name! Thanks sels, will PM Zadoc and see what he has to say. Rides a ZZR from memory? Maybe a ZX12, cant remember

trustme
31st July 2007, 21:23
Travel AK to Wgtn by either east cape if you have time [3 days ],or Ak to Wanganu to Wgtn [1 to 2 days] stay off SH 1 in the north island ,boring & over policed .Once you hit the SI you cant go wrong, most of the roads are great , not much traffic, but watch out for foreign tourists in camper vans

At Picton turn right & head for Nelson & the West Coast,make sure you stay at the Blackball Hilton just out of Greymouth .Travel on down the coast & over the Haast Pass to Queenstown/Wanaka where you will probably spend a couple of days playing tourist.
Dont miss Milford Sound then travel on down to the deep south & take in The Catlins, head back north thru the Lindis Pass to Tekapo then out to ChCh , & back up the coast or take the Lewis Pass & travel back to St Arnaud & over to Blenheim.
There are so many great roads you wont be able to do them all, dont try or it will be an endurance test not a holiday, you will just visit places not experience them. Keep talking , you will get lots of help

Delphinus
31st July 2007, 21:30
V-Strom is a good idea. You can have a bit of a play on the gravel roads as well that way.

You shouldnt be worried about about weta's anyway, you have far worse creepy crawlys over your side of the ditch! But they are harmless things just look scary. My cousin has a photo of one crawling diagonally across his face.
You wont find any :)

Delphinus
31st July 2007, 21:32
I'll keep an eye on the thread so let us know when your down, I live in dunedin so might be able to catch up show you some of the interesting roads :)

sunhuntin
31st July 2007, 23:44
it takes me 4 days roughly to get from wanganui to invercargill [thats sticking to the chch side of things] so you may want to fly direct to the south island, as there is more to see, and takes longer.

wetas... i havent seen one for ages!

Delphinus
1st August 2007, 00:03
Depends how fast you are moving. I did Wellington to Dunedin in exact 12 hours. 3 on ferry, 1 eating/rest, and 8 on the road. Wasnt going overly fast just a good average pace. Wanganui -> Invercargill doable in 2 days, but you wouldnt see much.

But they are right, fly into south island and you wont be bored. Then depending how things go you can go to north island and wander up east coast.

greshaki
1st August 2007, 14:41
All great stuff, Im writiing it all down. Delphinus that's very cool, I wont be there til March of next year but will keep you in the loop! If there are any other recommendations please feel free to post up anyone

clint640
1st August 2007, 16:09
If you do end up going down the East coast of the Nth Is, make sure you have a look around the Coromandel Peninsula - some great scenic roads there.

The others are very right though, if you want to see some sights as well as just ride, 3 weeks in just the South Is would be better.

A lot of the country pubs, like the above mentioned Blackball Hilton, have beds at backpacker rates so check these out too for accom.

Cheers
Clint

Macktheknife
1st August 2007, 17:44
If you decide to do the north island too then lots of cool roads up here as well, look thru the motorcycle atlas and you will see for yourself.
Let us know when you are coming over and we might meet up for a beer if you come this way.

ynot slow
1st August 2007, 18:51
Do what my cousin did,flew into Auckland went around nth island,camper over to sth island,left out of Christchurch,main reason no sense in taking backtracks to Auckland to fly home,also can do vice versa.Saves extra time getting back to Auckland,spend more time in each island that way.:scooter:

KoroJ
1st August 2007, 19:53
If you have just 3 weeks, fly into Christchurch and stick to the south island, it's a paradise for bikes....

Excuuuuuse please!!......(and you'd be living in the heart of a plethora of good rides)!!!....shame on you Mr Blackbird.

There's the Awakino Gorge (SH3), Napier-Taupo Rd (SH5), Turangi-Taumaranui (SH41), Waioeka Gorge (SH2) & East Cape Rd (SH35), Paraparas (SH4), Several options between Mangaweka & Ashhurst, Waipuk' - Masterton (and you get to see the longest place name in the world), to name a few and not to mention a few more around Coromandel and North of the Bombay's. As I recall, there was a thread about a certain Northland Rd being reputed to be the best ride in the world???

A visitor should endeavour to explore/enjoy all of Godzone.

Blackbird
1st August 2007, 20:18
Excuuuuuse please!!......(and you'd be living in the heart of a plethora of good rides)!!!....shame on you Mr Blackbird.

There's the Awakino Gorge (SH3), Napier-Taupo Rd (SH5), Turangi-Taumaranui (SH41), Waioeka Gorge (SH2) & East Cape Rd (SH35), Paraparas (SH4), Several options between Mangaweka & Ashhurst, Waipuk' - Masterton (and you get to see the longest place name in the world), to name a few and not to mention a few more around Coromandel and North of the Bombay's. As I recall, there was a thread about a certain Northland Rd being reputed to be the best ride in the world???

A visitor should endeavour to explore/enjoy all of Godzone.

No shame required:yes:. There are indeed magic rides in the NI, including the Coro Loop which is literally outside the front door of my bach. I merely meant that that 3 weeks wasn't enough to do justice to both islands and do a few attractions too. Have already PM'd him with an offer of accommodation if he wants to do the north, either as part of this trip or a subsequent one. I had a mate from the UK do the south island this year and he said a fortnight wasn't enough.

Get my drift?:yes:

mbazza
1st August 2007, 20:26
Hi Greshaki, great place to ride. Agree with Blackbird that in 3 weeks the S.I. would be a great choice. In that time you can't do both islands justice, may as well do the better half of Paradise. The V-strom would be a great choice for the S.I. (I am biased!) Available from "Backroads" hire in Dunedin.
Are you into bike rallies? If so give me a PM and I'll give you a list of S.I. ones in March. Ride safe and enjoy our world. Cheers.:ride:

greshaki
2nd August 2007, 13:57
Gotta say Im blown away with the hospitality shown here. You dont know me from a bar of soap and Ive had offers to stop round, crash on floors etc. Sincerely thank you! Im about halfway thru Blackbird's SI report and its giving me lots of ideas for things to do as well (love the whale watching and jet boat, great ideas). Mbazza I dont mind bike rallies but with the time I have there, I think I'd be best just pushing on around the country. Am looking at the v-strom 650 because it's pretty affordable to rent, comfortable and carries a lot. I won't be fanging it much, can't risk a stack in the middle of nowhere. Gonna be a nice scenic cruise I think, at least thats how these things always start!

Blackbird
2nd August 2007, 14:13
Gotta say Im blown away with the hospitality shown here. You dont know me from a bar of soap and Ive had offers to stop round, crash on floors etc. Sincerely thank you! Im about halfway thru Blackbird's SI report and its giving me lots of ideas for things to do as well (love the whale watching and jet boat, great ideas). Mbazza I dont mind bike rallies but with the time I have there, I think I'd be best just pushing on around the country. Am looking at the v-strom 650 because it's pretty affordable to rent, comfortable and carries a lot. I won't be fanging it much, can't risk a stack in the middle of nowhere. Gonna be a nice scenic cruise I think, at least thats how these things always start!

Being a small country compared with Oz, and Kiwi Biker being the major biker website, when someone needs a helping hand, it really is like family. For me, that's the greatest thing about the KB website.

mbazza
2nd August 2007, 21:14
What Blackbird said! Cheers.

clint640
8th August 2007, 11:14
If you're getting a 'Strom, have a look at my trip report from last year - lots of good road & dirt road riding - a lot of the tracks we did are easily tackled on a V-Strom, do the Molesworth & Hakataramea at least.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124655&highlight=gerbil

Cheers
Clint

BMW
8th August 2007, 17:09
try and get to a bike rally like the cold duck ( is that on that time of year?)

puddytat
9th August 2007, 23:15
Make sure youve got plenty of tear-offs for the visor as the sandflies are thick down South....& the wetas are bigger too

shafty
10th August 2007, 05:46
try and get to a bike rally like the cold duck ( is that on that time of year?)

The Cold Duck would be a fantastic inclusion, but unfortunately is in MAY each year. Welcome to Gods Zone, enjoy your ride; Good advice given so far - conisder taking an extra week and DO the Coromandel loop also!!

Otherwise you'll be leaving after 3 weeks saying "I'll be back" and "I see what they mean now"

Highlander
11th August 2007, 02:23
Spend a couple of weeks working your way to the bottom, then do this: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=51034 to get back up. :rofl::rofl:

Allow time for a bit of this too :drinkup::drinknsin