PDA

View Full Version : Newbie on a Bandit?

hm6
2nd August 2007, 23:50
Hi there,
This is my first time on here -though I've been tryin' to suss it out for a while - and it looks like a lot of people have good info to give, so would appreciate any help offered :-)

I've decided after years of fluffing about, I really want a motorbike. Been searching for about 3-4 weeks on trade-me and other 2nd hand places trying to get an idea of what I'm after in a bike. Was thinking the Gn250 for a while, but I'm wanting to travel home (Wgtn - Waihi) every so often, so I decided this bike wouldn't cut it.

I've had some experience when I was a kid riding round in paddocks, but I'm looking to brush on my skills -ie. remember what it's like to ride a bike- and go for my license in the next few weeks...but...I've just been offered a 1990 Bandit 250 for 2 grand.

I have a few q's:
Is this a wicked price?? The lady has had it for 5 years, just rides it round in summer, but is now wanting to flick it off.
I haven't actually had a chance to sit on a Bandit yet, but I'm 163 cms - about 5'3-5'4 and weight 57kg.
Do you think I'll be able to reach the ground, and/or handle this bike? I have known another learner chick - tho quite a bit taller- and she handles it.

Apparently its a 6-speed, 16 valve slingshot motor? - could any1 enlighten me on what this means? I'm going with a biker mate to sit on some bikes on Saturday, but just wanted any other ideas/info.

Any help much appreciated! Ta
Hannah

EJK
3rd August 2007, 00:08
Hmm... I dont know about the condition of the bike but I think its quite a nice deal. If the clock reads less than 40-50,000km, then its a bargain... I think....

163cm? I think you will easily reach down to the ground on your heel.
16 valve? wow... that must have better power than my 225cc bike.

I think....

P.S. WELCOME to the motorcycling world! We all welcomes you :):):):)

skelstar
3rd August 2007, 09:02
Give Lissa (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=8112) a Private Message ...she'll be able to give you some advice about riding the bike.

Welcome BTW.

marioc
3rd August 2007, 09:05
I am a learner and have a bandit also,so far it has been very good to me however being a lifelong cage driver I was rather suprised the first time I twisted my wrist in anger yooiks.Talk about acceleration.
Only thing I would say they are high revving beasts and make for a pretty busy ride with no guts at all below 8 grand so you really have to ring their necks.
I did ride a Honda VTR250 which was much more tame and easier to tootle around on,but no where near as much fun for a Sunday blat

discotex
3rd August 2007, 10:53
Sounds like a good deal to me. If you don't have anyone that can check out the bike mechanically you could always take it to a bike shop for a pre-purchase inspection.

You'll be able to touch the ground for sure. Maybe not both flat on the ground but enough to feel pretty stable when you stop. It'd be a great first bike that'd do well on the longer runs. Just make sure you get decent gear.

hm6
3rd August 2007, 12:23
Thanks for that. My bros & step-dad are checking it out today - they're into bikes so I'm waiting for them to give me a bit more goss.
I've found out its only done 17,000kms and the lady has really looked after it. They're gonna take it for a blat today, so fingers crossed it's all mechanically sound!

EJK
3rd August 2007, 13:03
Thanks for that. My bros & step-dad are checking it out today - they're into bikes so I'm waiting for them to give me a bit more goss.
I've found out its only done 17,000kms and the lady has really looked after it. They're gonna take it for a blat today, so fingers crossed it's all mechanically sound!

OMG! :gob::gob::gob::gob::gob::gob::gob::gob:
17,000km bandit for 2 grand?

Man... I don't know.... Sounds like I've wasted 3 grand on my Scorpio... :(:(

avgas
3rd August 2007, 13:21
thats a good price sadly - bloody 250's
if you are used to riding then i'd say its fine - but i wouldnt discount the gn as it will happily sit 120 all day, every day - where the maintenance i 4 fold for the bandito.
Where u live in waihi boss? I used to commute auckland to Katikati every weekend on a 150.

Little Miss Trouble
3rd August 2007, 13:38
Sounds like a good deal to me.
I'm about the same height as you, cant quite get both feet flat in lots of situations which did bother me to begin with, but already thats not a problem anymore. Being shorter just means we have to think ahead about parking, which foot to put down when stopping on slopes etc. Upside is your legs will get lots stronger very quickly.:sunny:

rwh
3rd August 2007, 17:12
My knowledge is limited, because I've only ridden a bandit 250 very briefly - and no other 4-cylinder 250s - but I'd have thought it might get a bit tiring given the revs required to keep it going well, over that distance. On the other hand I rode to just north of Taranaki and back on my 2-cylinder VT250F, and that wasn't too bad - it revs a bit lower, and I found it easier to ride, while not being as gutless as a single (again, I've only ridden an SR250 briefly - rented it for my full test). Sure the VT never made it home, but that's a different story - that particular model has known problems.

If I had to go back to a 250, and wanted to do that sort of trip, I'd be looking at a twin. After the VT died I had a brief look at new ones, and test rode the Kawasaki GPX and the Honda VTR - for personal preference, I'd be buying the GPX. They've been around for ages too, so they're available second hand.

Having said all that, that does seem a pretty decent price.

Richard

BMW
3rd August 2007, 17:18
welcome! sounds like a good deal

crazybigal
3rd August 2007, 17:25
we have a 96 bandit in the shed
they go well for a 250, they rev like no tomorrow, it will allways feel like your floging the life out of it. Also they go through gas faster than a robbers dog!
but id have to rate the bandit 16v250 one of the best all round 205's.
2 grand sound ok as long as the thing hasnt been thrashed. prob will need the carbs cleaned and ballanced otherwise it will run lumpy and wont want to idle or start.
if you want to spend more get a VTR, i had one as well and its a easy to ride no fuss good all rounder and well built bike.
good luck with it, oh and im 6 foot 3 and both are fine for long trips

BigRed2007
3rd August 2007, 20:24
get it checked out by a Kb pro :P

hm6
3rd August 2007, 20:52
Sounds like a good deal to me.
I'm about the same height as you, cant quite get both feet flat in lots of situations which did bother me to begin with, but already thats not a problem anymore. Being shorter just means we have to think ahead about parking, which foot to put down when stopping on slopes etc. Upside is your legs will get lots stronger very quickly.:sunny:

That is such handy information - thanks. I was anticipating I'd have to figure a way round it, and it's good to know I'll get bigger muscles in my legs!

hm6
3rd August 2007, 20:55
Where u live in waihi boss? I used to commute auckland to Katikati every weekend on a 150.

I live in Wellies, but from Waihi originally. Want to cruise back home at least a couple of times a year - at least do trips around

hm6
3rd August 2007, 21:04
2 grand sound ok as long as the thing hasnt been thrashed. prob will need the carbs cleaned and ballanced otherwise it will run lumpy and wont want to idle or start.

Thanks for that bit of info. My money is pretty limited at the mo. I really didn't want to pay over 2500 for a bike, so this would mean I can pay for my gear & licence under 3000 which is what I was hoping for.

hm6
3rd August 2007, 21:07
get it checked out by a Kb pro :P

hey BigRed - what does the KB stand for?

terbang
3rd August 2007, 21:12
Umm Kiwi Biker and yes if its reasonable, and get someone to look at it, though I suspect with those Kays it can't be all that bad and worth 2 grand.

fireliv
3rd August 2007, 21:25
HI Hannah

I own a bandit (Jessie) and I love her to bits. I paid $4000 for mine (1992, 20000km), so I think yours sounds like an awesome deal. You should be fine with the height, they are quite short bikes, and will definately give you enough grunt to get ya around on longer trips. Great thing is nothing to brake when dropped. THey do like a lot of low down revs, but once you get use to it its not so bad.

Welcome to the club!

Oh I suggest that if you get it and need any bandit advice ask Wasp, he knows alot and is wellington based:scooter:!

hm6
3rd August 2007, 21:46
Umm Kiwi Biker

It's been a long day - wasn't thinking on that 1!

Hey thanks heaps Jessie. I feel a lot better having started this thread now. I'm really looking forward to hearing how it runs from 'the family,' and cruising round tomorrow having a look at bikes. Awesome.

marioc
3rd August 2007, 22:24
Hehe thats his bikes name :yes:

Wasp
5th August 2007, 08:02
Give Lissa (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=8112) a Private Message ...she'll be able to give you some advice about riding the bike.

Welcome BTW.

My knowledge is limited, because I've only ridden a bandit 250 very briefly - and no other 4-cylinder 250s - but I'd have thought it might get a bit tiring given the revs required to keep it going well, over that distance. On the other hand I rode to just north of Taranaki and back on my 2-cylinder VT250F, and that wasn't too bad - it revs a bit lower, and I found it easier to ride, while not being as gutless as a single (again, I've only ridden an SR250 briefly - rented it for my full test). Sure the VT never made it home, but that's a different story - that particular model has known problems.

If I had to go back to a 250, and wanted to do that sort of trip, I'd be looking at a twin. After the VT died I had a brief look at new ones, and test rode the Kawasaki GPX and the Honda VTR - for personal preference, I'd be buying the GPX. They've been around for ages too, so they're available second hand.

Having said all that, that does seem a pretty decent price.

Richard

Sigh, what did I do that makes you guys not suggest moi?

HI Hannah

I own a bandit (Jessie) and I love her to bits. I paid $4000 for mine (1992, 20000km), so I think yours sounds like an awesome deal. You should be fine with the height, they are quite short bikes, and will definately give you enough grunt to get ya around on longer trips. Great thing is nothing to brake when dropped. THey do like a lot of low down revs, but once you get use to it its not so bad.

Welcome to the club!

Oh I suggest that if you get it and need any bandit advice ask Wasp, he knows alot and is wellington based:scooter:!
Thank you Liv!

I'd be more than happy to come check it out for ya Hannah, from what you've said so far it sounds like a bloody good deal