PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Grand Challenge - Tips

DougieNZ
3rd August 2007, 04:49
Hi All,

I'm planning on doing the event this year for the first time. I would be interested to know the following:

What should you take with you on the ride? (What gizmos/gear have people found useful)

Torch + Spare Batteries
Sleeping bag
Owners Manual
Snack Bars
Tow Rope
Map
Cellphone
Fuel Vouchers?
Sun Wear
Wet Gear
Tie Downs
First Aid Kit

Is a sheet map or book map easier to use? (I plan to trace out the route)

Scrutuneering tips? (I know they are thorough - and should be)
Normal WOF Stuff
Tyres and Brakes (enough wear to ride the event twice)
Steering Head Bearings

Food/drinks? (I have been told to stay away from red bull etc and drink lots of water)

"No Doze" Thoughts?

Any tips for the newbee would be appreciated. Mrs D not coming after completing Southern Cross this year. Reckons that this rally is a "new level of madness"!

Blackbird
3rd August 2007, 06:57
Do a search, there are lots of ride reports on here of the GC, plus tips on practicing, nutrition, clothing etc. Better get in quick with your entry as it will be pretty full already.

DougieNZ
3rd August 2007, 07:34
Thanks BB. Already entered. Off at 3:07.

Cheers

Blackbird
3rd August 2007, 11:54
The Grand Challenge is a bit different to the Southern Cross in terms of execution, particularly because of the high percentage of night riding and a very tight schedule.

In terms of preparation, I tried to do a practice ride of at least 600 km about a month before the event. I’d try and set a route that I was not all that familiar with, particularly for riding in the dark. As the organisers always send you down some twisty, horrible unlit back road in the small hours, I’d do the same on the practice ride, setting off early evening so that the bulk of the ride was in the dark. The only stops I make are 10-15 minutes for fuel, a quick bite to eat and rehydration.

In terms of nutrition for the ride, that’s totally contentious. I started of with pies, chocolate bars and coffee but didn’t feel all that well on them and the need to go to the toilet was quite often at inopportune times! :innocent: I also drank too much “V” on one of the GC’s and ended up feeling wired and ill. I subsequently stuck to bottled water or dilute sports drink and had a can of V in reserve for the last checkpoint. For food, I made up my own scroggin for the last event I did, consisting of dried banana rings, cashew nuts, pumpkin seeds and chocolate chips. The energy release is slower and more even than the “high and crash” cycle associated with high sugar foods. However, a mate who does it with me survives on pies and sugared coffee! I’ve never taken medication but I was just about hallucinating with pain in the wrists and knees towards the end of the ride when I did it on the Blackbird. If I did it again on the ‘bird, I might think about swallowing a couple of Voltaren tablets when I started to hurt.

If you stay in Turangi the previous evening, the route is often posted then or early on the morning of the ride. I buy a fold-out large map of the north island from a bookshop and mark up the route in felt tip. I now own a GPS and may be tempted to use it as a back-up if I ever do another one, but a big map has been fine for the 4 GC’s I’ve done so far.

On the ride itself, minimising stopping time is what gets you through, rather than blasting along for long distances and stressing yourself out. On long stops, you just stiffen up so I prefer to stop for 10-15 minutes to gas up, stretch, re-hydrate, eat something and get under way again. I do a few arm and hand stretches on the bike and stand up on the pegs occasionally to keep the circulation going in the nether regions! Some people use a sheepskin, some tape on bubblewrap for additional comfort. I used to have a dense sheepskin but since I fitted a “Rider” brand seat, I’ve never had problems on a long haul.

The other thing I did on my first GC was to make up a small time-distance chart in Excel and laminate it. One axis had the distance out to 1650 km and the other had time up to 24 hours with an intersecting line between them for a 24 hour schedule. If you’re above the line for a given distance, you’re ahead of time, and the opposite below it. I know it sounds terribly anal (and undoubtedly is!) but when your brain isn’t functioning terribly well in the middle of the night, it’s a handy ready reckoner.

I also fitted 100 W headlight bulbs which made a big difference to nightime riding. Halogen on my BMW and Xenon to the Blackbird.

I think that’s most of the important bits. After the first couple of GC’s, preparation tends to be automatic but decent planning for the first one simply improves the odds of a successful completion. The notes above are simply my approach. There is no “best way” and I’m sure that other GC “survivors” will throw in their own experiences too and you can pick out what suits you the best. More than 70% of the ride and maybe a sight more than that is all about mental toughness rather than the bike you ride.

Best of luck. When you've done a ride like that, there's nothing left to prove to yourself or anyone else come to that!

Hitcher
3rd August 2007, 14:03
Fuel vouchers? I've never seen the point of these. Cash is better, if you're non-electronic transaction inclined. The organisers generally run the route past 24-hour stations, with each of the five checkpoints being at 24-hour gas.

Nutrition? Whatever works best for you. Servos sell snacks and pies, so there's little point carrying other food with you, other than saving a bit of cash, or if you're a vegetarian or something.

I generally strive to get a decent night ride in in the month prior to the event and make sure that my bike is comparatively recently serviced and well shod. The scrutineering by the Rustys is scrupulous -- on the basis that a bike should be able to pass a WOF at the END of the event. I'd recommend up-speccing your headlight bulb(s), particularly your high beam.

Wet-weather gear should be your major focus. The event goes on, rain, hail, sleet or snow. And it's possible it could rain solidly for 24-hours. I carry four pairs of "waterproof" gloves and plenty of layers to ward off the worst possible chills. Make sure you've got a decent pair of waterproof boots, and I'd also recommend heated grips.

There's always much debate about what's best to drink. Some people swear by the benefits of caffeinated beverages (hot and cold), an equal number of folk have an opposing view. I tend to hold off caffeine until about Checkpoint 4, and then have a decent coffee (if such a thing is available).

I look forward to seeing you at Turangi on 13 October!

BarBender
3rd August 2007, 14:13
Thanks guys. Very useful insghts and experiences.
I'm doing my first GC this year with Puddy and am looking forward to it.

Zapf
3rd August 2007, 19:48
I'll be conducting practice rides for the GC leaving from Auckland around mid / late Sept. So Auckland region people are welcome to join me. I aim for around 1000km at GC pace.

Camel pack is useful, drinking in micro amounts reduce the need to visit the toilets.

Warm clothing is a must. Multiple layers of wind / waterproof clothing is good. Last year I wore from the inner out: silk, polyprop, Goretex, leathers, waterproof/windproof jacket & trouser. And this year I'll be adding a heated vest to the mix.

Food wise, it'll be protein or cereal bars for me. A good mixture of protein and carbs.

Heated grips are really nice!

Something to wear under the helmet / and keep your neck warm would be a good idea.

Key to head lights are making sure they have a wide beam. Because it will be the tight twisty backroad at 2am that makes you wish for wider beam. I prefer to keep my headlights at standard wattage to leave some power for heated grips and vest.

Also, blue / white halogen bulbs might not be a good idea. As you might encounter thick fog. And blue / white halogen bulbs are next to useless in fog.

my2c

Holy Roller
3rd August 2007, 21:13
Being a shit worker I tried both caffine and water to see which works best. In general the water seems to be better but on the GC I find a Lift+ works as a great pick me up after a particular patch of tight twisties in the early hours. Bananas and muslie bars are good. Only brought one pie on the two that I have done.
Warm clothes; Leathers with thermals and a good thick shirt underneath. At the second check point I climb into my winter riding suit, overtop of the leather trou and then put the jacket on top of the suit. I usually wear a PVC relectorised vest that is poly lined over all that. The polarfleese neck warmer is a must. Only in very heavy rain will I put on the wet weather gear as the screen keeps all bust the heavest rain off me. Did not wear the rain suit at all last year, felt sorry for the guys that came into the check points dripping wet.

Someone who will be prepared to come and pick up a broken down bike. If a mechanical DNF eventuates, If one rides to the conditions you will finish unless the bike breaks down.

Strategy:
Think of the ride as check point to check point, not the whole distance.
Quick fuel stops, rehydrate and refuel the body.
Early hours ride in a group, find a group and use their lights to see ahead.
Ride at a comfortable pace or slower through the night when really tired or until one gets their second wind, usually around dawn.

This has worked for me and both times, I have finished in around 20hrs. So now I know that I have roughly 4 hours up my sleave if I need them for next time. I am unable to do the ride this year:crybaby:
Spent too much getting the bike back on the road after a gearbox problem and redoing the swingarm. Looking at doing number 3 next year.

BarBender
3rd August 2007, 22:36
I'll be conducting practice rides for the GC leaving from Auckland around mid / late Sept. So Auckland region people are welcome to join me. I aim for around 1000km at GC pace.

I'll be in.
Id be keen to make at least one of them a night run as well.

Zapf
4th August 2007, 00:55
I'll be in.

yea didn't mention. It'll involve over night run. Something like leaving in the Avo, head north, circle back past Auckland to get a feed and then head south and pretty much don't come home till dawn. The whole point is to get some riding fitness. I usually do smaller runs a few weeks out and then a big one like described above the weekend before GC. It'll be my 2nd run, I did something similar by myself last year and it was good. Gives you a chance to find out what to expect.

XP@
4th August 2007, 21:47
Make sure you attach your wet weather gear properly.
Especially if you are on a new bike you have never attached the bag to before in that manner and are being filmed...

It gets quite disconcerting when your pants arrive back before you.

Plugz 4 Lugz
5th August 2007, 10:10
..... as we did last year, Plugz 4 Lugz will be at the GC this year to make custom made earplugs for those riders who have been wanting to catch up with us. Word is spreading, and the feedback has been great....... Cheers Sue

Hitcher
5th August 2007, 17:23
Hitcher's night practice rides will probably start in a couple of Friday's time. Departing about 6:30pm from Rimutex and returning home about 800-900km later. A bit of company would be welcomed!

xgnr
5th August 2007, 17:26
I'll be in.

Me too :gob:

Puddy has been kind enough to help me out with some advice. Met up today on a ride and had a chat about the pain involved lol.

Sort of looking forward to it ... I think... :shit:

Need a long run to see what hurts most eh

Stu

BarBender
5th August 2007, 17:38
Hitcher's night practice rides will probably start in a couple of Friday's time. Departing about 6:30pm from Rimutex and returning home about 800-900km later. A bit of company would be welcomed!

Would have been keen if you're werent in Welly.

Me too :gob:
Puddy has been kind enough to help me out with some advice. Met up today on a ride and had a chat about the pain involved lol.
Sort of looking forward to it ... I think... :shit:
Need a long run to see what hurts most eh
Stu

Yeah should be good.
Me too - Not sure what to expect..so aim aiming low and easy and getting a good weeks sleep beforehand.
I 'm hoping to hook up with you guys on the day...if not before hand for a few rehearsal runs. We should hook up with Zapf

jrandom
5th August 2007, 17:40
My cast will be off in time for the GC.

I'm tempted.

xgnr
5th August 2007, 17:55
Would have been keen if you're werent in Welly.

Yeah should be good.
Me too - Not sure what to expect..so aim aiming low and easy and getting a good weeks sleep beforehand.
I 'm hoping to hook up with you guys on the day...if not before hand for a few rehearsal runs. We should hook up with Zapf

Yeah sweet.

I am pretty slow on the old Beemer (compared to the sprot bikes) but would be good to do a semi-organised couple of runs to compare notes time/distance eh.

I will PM my contact details so we can maybe try some longish runs out? :yes:

Cheers

Stu

Hitcher
5th August 2007, 18:22
I'm tempted.

On the Snail? Your piles will bleed something chronic.

Madness
5th August 2007, 18:24

I could be keen to join you, have done a couple of late-night "tootles around the block" this winter. 6.30 might be cutting it fine for me though, 7 would be better.

Hitcher
5th August 2007, 18:30
7 would be better.

7:00pm is fine. I thought a "block" involving "Highway 52" to Waipukurau could be a starter for one such night ride. Home via the windmills and Vinegar Hill.

jrandom
5th August 2007, 18:41
On the Snail?

On the Snail.

I'm well 'ard.

Fuckin' bring it on. I'm entering.

TerminalAddict
5th August 2007, 22:41
I'm guessing me and Warr will do some practise runs leaving from hamilton.

Hitcher
5th August 2007, 22:44
Fuckin' bring it on. I'm entering.

Mrs H and I will see you at Turangi on 13 October then!

Zapf
5th August 2007, 23:31
We should hook up with Zapf

welcome to. can do some long day trips before hand for riding fitness anyway. I hear those 14's are quite nice for long distance work :)

I am pretty slow on the old Beemer (compared to the sprot bikes) but would be good to do a semi-organised couple of runs to compare notes time/distance eh.

Re speed. I generally just do 120 clicks tops. Its all in not stuffing around at the stops and also keeping good corner speeds. Doing Hyper speeds just means you use more gas and get more tired. Not to mention about being stopped by cops (losing a bit of time there).

I have see the old Beemers being ridding really well at a good speed thru the corners and tight stuff. So with us limiting our top speed u shouldn't have much problems.

If you have a GPS with average speed read out. You should aim for around 80km/h ish average speed over a long trip, including stops and etc.

Taz
6th August 2007, 13:32
I'll be doing the grand challenge this year. Will be good.:yes:

bryce
6th August 2007, 21:53
i found you drink to much with a camel pack,your stops are shorter if you ride in pairs and dont stop between 3 and 1/2 an hour after you normaly wake up if you can help it .i use the refleters at night and use the 45 sighns etc to carry corner speeds ,65=throtile of 55= down shift 45=throtile off, 2 down shifts.snake & drink at fuel stops ,have samething decent 4 tea.work out yours and you mates fuel range before you start,move around on the bike before your ass go numb.i dont ride much before the ride but to cill out on the saturday. i all so have never riden my bike to or from the G C ,just a ritual we started the 1st time we went.make sure your bike is fine they are picky

bryce
6th August 2007, 21:57
take a spare key

Beemer
7th August 2007, 10:44
My husband has done all the Grand Challenges to date and the one thing he found over the past few years that helped was to keep hydrated. He was the type not to bother stopping unless he needed petrol or food, so he wasn't drinking as much as he should. A few years ago he started drinking plenty of water during the ride and found he felt far less exhausted at the end. He also likes to stop for a good meal once it gets dark on the first day, allowing his body to get a decent break off the bike.

Good wet weather gear is essential, and make sure whatever you are wearing is warm enough for the conditions. Take layers that you can add or subtract depending on the weather.

I wouldn't recommend No Doze or anything like that, just plenty of sleep before the event, plenty of water during it, and regular breaks to stretch or have a snack. Andy says even five minutes off the bike, without the helmet, is enough to refresh him for another few hours.

Good luck, it's not an event I'll ever line up for, I doubt I'd be able to do it!

DougieNZ
7th August 2007, 15:28
Hey thanks for all the tips guys and gals.

Practice - is it really necessary? The way I see it, why put yourself through the trauma of an overnight ride more than once!

Though I must admit I had a pretty rough first stint in the dark on the Southern Cross. By the 2nd stint of night riding I was a lot better - so may be there is merit in practice.

Hydration tips taken on board. One good thing is the fuel range on the ST. I will only have to stop at the checkpoints, that's for sure. Certainly on the SC I worked out exactly what my fuel range was - but that's another story!

Spare key? Damn good advice! :-)

Cheers

Holy Roller
7th August 2007, 15:51
Take a dose of the salts the day before.
Then one does not have to worry about that part during the ride:innocent:

Its an old sailing tip.

Kwaka14
7th August 2007, 16:02
Don't fuel up at the checkpoints if you can avoid it as there's always an enormous wait for gas - at least paying for it, usually stop late at night when there's just one cashier on so if there's a queue than you'll be waiting around, just check in and stop somewhere else if you can.....

xgnr
7th August 2007, 20:27
Don't fuel up at the checkpoints if you can avoid it as there's always an enormous wait for gas - at least paying for it, usually stop late at night when there's just one cashier on so if there's a queue than you'll be waiting around, just check in and stop somewhere else if you can.....

So does this mean carrying extra fuel might be smart ???

Pancakes
7th August 2007, 21:15
This all looks like a great idea! I used to do adventure racing sorts of things and this is like a weekend one on bikes! Wicked! Might have to start prepping up for next year, good luck to everyone heading down.

Zapf
7th August 2007, 21:39
Hey thanks for all the tips guys and gals.

Practice - is it really necessary? The way I see it, why put yourself through the trauma of an overnight ride more than once!

Personally I would say yes. Gives you a chance to test out your bike + gear and also get use to night riding, also riding fitness is not a given. More time on bike = better riding fitness.

banditrider
7th August 2007, 21:56
My husband has done all the Grand Challenges to date and the one thing he found over the past few years that helped was to keep hydrated. He was the type not to bother stopping unless he needed petrol or food, so he wasn't drinking as much as he should. A few years ago he started drinking plenty of water during the ride and found he felt far less exhausted at the end. He also likes to stop for a good meal once it gets dark on the first day, allowing his body to get a decent break off the bike.

Good wet weather gear is essential, and make sure whatever you are wearing is warm enough for the conditions. Take layers that you can add or subtract depending on the weather.

I wouldn't recommend No Doze or anything like that, just plenty of sleep before the event, plenty of water during it, and regular breaks to stretch or have a snack. Andy says even five minutes off the bike, without the helmet, is enough to refresh him for another few hours.

Good luck, it's not an event I'll ever line up for, I doubt I'd be able to do it!

Excellant advice - I'm slowly learning after 5, roll on October for #6!

shafty
16th August 2007, 15:53
Good tips and advice one and all, cheers.

My entry is in, as is a Mate on an FJR. Anyone else from the Bay of Plenty entered?

DougieNZ
16th August 2007, 17:25
Look forward to catching up with you again Shafty..

Going to keep your clothes on this time mate??\

:gob::Punk::Punk::Punk::Punk:

shafty
16th August 2007, 17:33
Look forward to catching up with you again Shafty..

Going to keep your clothes on this time mate??\

:gob::Punk::Punk::Punk::Punk:

It's far too early to decide

DougieNZ
16th August 2007, 17:52
Could be a little cold mate, but probably better than Bluff in April...

Once again thanks to everyone for the brilliant advice. I am REALLY looking forward to this ride. I am going to take some shorter trips on dark wrapa roads pre event to ensure my headlights are adjusted as well as they can be.

Thanks Again

shafty
17th August 2007, 14:31
Is anyone else from the Bay of Plenty entered for the 1000 miler?

banditrider
17th August 2007, 21:22
Two mohawk wearing idiots from Palmy chaffing at the bit. Seeya there!

Jantar
17th August 2007, 21:27
I'm glad to see that you are all well prepared for the GC. Of course I realise that you are only using it as a practice ride for the real 1000 miler in December. :innocent:

banditrider
17th August 2007, 21:36
I'm glad to see that you are all well prepared for the GC. Of course I realise that you are only using it as a practice ride for the real 1000 miler in December. :innocent:

Probably not this year, but will definitely have to come down for that one at some time. :scooter:

Taz
23rd August 2007, 18:12
Got confirmation back in the mail. Start time 3:21pm. :scooter:

banditrider
23rd August 2007, 19:29

3:08 for me - got in early :wari: Seeya on the road!

Blue Bandito
24th August 2007, 08:52

Would love to bring the green mohawk down to Chatto Creek. Can't make it this year though. Will be down for "Mini Returns" next year and "2009 Southern Cross". Maybe after that is done?

Until then will keep up the practice on the GC.

Krusti
24th August 2007, 09:25
Just started reading ,Twisting Throttle , he says that in the USA they do the Iron butt. 1000miles in 24 hrs for 11 days!

Hitcher
24th August 2007, 09:50
Just started reading ,Twisting Throttle , he says that in the USA they do the Iron butt. 1000miles in 24 hrs for 11 days!

That has to include vast stretches of Interstate, or the quaffing of large amounts of amphetamine. Completing an event of that scale would require a rolling average of at least 100kmh, to allow for such things as sleep and a tyre change!

Blackbird
24th August 2007, 10:25
Yep, even the Iron Butt 1000 miles in 24 hours ride involves a lot of interstate highway riding.

banditrider
24th August 2007, 11:52
Yep, even the Iron Butt 1000 miles in 24 hours ride involves a lot of interstate highway riding.

Kinda cheating if there's no corners...

clint640
24th August 2007, 12:43
Good tips and advice one and all, cheers.

My entry is in, as is a Mate on an FJR. Anyone else from the Bay of Plenty entered?

Yeah Bro, I'm gunna give it a go, tagging along with Warewolf & his mate, they're both seasoned campaigners, hopefully this n00b will be able to go the distance!

Cheers to all for the tips above!
Clint

Taz
24th August 2007, 17:26
Sounds good Clint. Know your start time yet?
Andy.

puddy
24th August 2007, 20:47
The Real One?

Brian d marge
24th August 2007, 21:24
All those rides ... a wimpy 1000 kilometers, not even Manly miles but those French kilometers things , with Late' ( that funny coffee that comes in a can and not from a Jar like real coffee)

phhhhhhhhhhh

they pail into a small in consequential small thing when compared to

http://www.mongolbikers.com/

These 2 loony s

and apparently the places fill up real quick come registration day !!! ( there must be more loony s out there !)

Stephen

xgnr
25th August 2007, 18:15
Went for a trial run today based on BLACKBIRD's suggestions (thanks Geoff :niceone:)

Got on the road at 2.30AM and headed towards Te Awamutu via the backroads ... got a tad lost... more later

Anyways, decided to get some windy bits covered in the dark when I was a bit jaded. Rain, Fog, slippery roads, possums... fantastic.

Even better when the headlight decided to stop working without warning... 80km and ... no road eeeek...

Fookin' Bulb connector is too loose so another bit to tweek up (thats why you practise right?)

Then I sorta took a wrong turn and completed 300Km before dawn... ended up at Pukekohe :weep: when I had already gone through Waingaro springs (at some stage... I saw the pub so musta been there)

4.30am came across a pickup that had lost the plot and hit a bank.. checked for bodies but none thank goodness (tip # 124376 .. take a torch)

Sorta worked it out that I had headed all the way down and came all the way back so decided to hit the main road to do the Coro Loop. Nice and quiet at 7.30 am (heading anti-clockwise) with some showers which slowed things down.

Cold... Tip # 123477 Get heated grips

Did the loop and decided to head off back to Te Awamutu via Paeroa / te Aroha to see how the body was feeling.

Spotted a Bikie (yep a real one) pushin' his Harley so stopped and asked if he needed some help...

After a couple of attempts pushing him I suggested that I start the big fuker and he push. (he was a big boy)... A joint effort got the thing going and I had a wee blat on it lol. sans helmet... :whistle:

Back on the bike (musta been 10 hrs and 700Km by this stage) and off to Waingaro via the Raglan road.

Arrived home around 1530 which was a 13hr ride. Didn't go over 110km (much) and was taking a lot of care in the rain (scared of shiny black bits :eek5:)

Hit 800km in 11.5 hrs (including the unexpected and gas stops etc). Gave me some comfort that I can do it albeit need to speed up a tad.

Final Tip: cut up the rooted Sheepskin Woolrest for a seat cover (fantastic, dries quickly and the synthetic backing dries real quick. No Bum pain at all)

Cheers

Stu

Jantar
25th August 2007, 19:25
All those rides ... a wimpy 1000 kilometers, not even Manly miles but those French kilometers things .....

No, we do 1000+ miles, not kilometers. Last year's Chatto Creek 1000 was 1670 km.

puddy
25th August 2007, 20:10
All those rides ... a wimpy 1000 kilometers, not even Manly miles but those French kilometers things , with Late' ( that funny coffee that comes in a can and not from a Jar like real coffee)

phhhhhhhhhhh

they pail into a small in consequential small thing when compared to

http://www.mongolbikers.com/

These 2 loony s

and apparently the places fill up real quick come registration day !!! ( there must be more loony s out there !)

Stephen
Yeah, you'd be the kind of guy that rides twice that distance to work daily on your Enfield! Are you allowed to take the Enfield on the subway?
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

puddy
25th August 2007, 20:18
My husband has done all the Grand Challenges to date ........
Hail the Kings.............. Andy and Cam. And Colin (the SPEED King!)

Brian d marge
27th August 2007, 03:03
Yeah, you'd be the kind of guy that rides twice that distance to work daily on your Enfield! Are you allowed to take the Enfield on the subway?
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yes to both your questions .. I couldnt on the K7 though ... damn near had a hernia

Stephen :innocent:

Zapf
27th August 2007, 12:46
Went for a trial run today based on BLACKBIRD's suggestions (thanks Geoff :niceone:)

Got on the road at 2.30AM and headed towards Te Awamutu via the backroads ... got a tad lost... more later
Stu

Nice effort on doing the test run!

shafty
27th August 2007, 13:51
My entry has been confirmed with The Orient Express departing at 3.24pm :wari:

xgnr
27th August 2007, 20:05
Thanks for the encouragement :yes:

Slow as a wet week that I am (trying to watch the speed on the open road as well due to my points status ouch) it was an enjoyable little pootle.

Looking forward to a few trial runs in September :yes: Don't need much notice so keen on any runs.

The mighty K Bike heads away at 3:21pm... when does the sun set?

Cheers

Stu

banditrider
27th August 2007, 20:26
The mighty K Bike heads away at 3:21pm... when does the sun set?

Cheers

Stu

More importantly - when does it rise again? 2nd wind usually kicks in about then...

xgnr
27th August 2007, 20:42
More importantly - when does it rise again? 2nd wind usually kicks in about then...

Seems that it sets around 6.30pm and rises at 5.30am (approx of course) :yes:

yay

clint640
28th August 2007, 12:12
Sounds good Clint. Know your start time yet?
Andy.

Got my entry confirmation today, 3:11 is zero hour. See ya there.

Clint

Zapf
12th September 2007, 22:34
So who is doing the Chatto Creek this year? As I might be keen on that as well. Has anyone done a write up for previous year's?

Jantar
12th September 2007, 22:41
I'll be doing the Chatto Creek 1000 again. There is a bit of information on last year's 1000 on this thread: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=37126&highlight=chatto+creek+1000

I did do a full write up that was published in Bike Rider Magazine, and due to copywrite I couldn't put it on here. But if you pm me with an email adress I'll send you a copy of the write-up without the photos.

shafty
12th September 2007, 22:58
So who is doing the Chatto Creek this year? As I might be keen on that as well. Has anyone done a write up for previous year's?

Could be tempted, working on freeing up some time commitments on those dates, - I'm trusting that Jantor is like an old GF, doesn't mind a late entry;

Jantar
12th September 2007, 23:08
...- I'm trusting that Jantor is like an old GF, doesn't mind a late entry;
No problems, we accept entries right up to the night before. But if you want a badge and/or T-shirt then it would pay to enter a couple of weeks earlier. :niceone:

Taz
13th September 2007, 20:33
Did a practice run today to iron out any bugs. Waiuku to Stratford to Whangamomona to Turangi to Taupo to Waiuku. 930kms 10:08hrs moving, 1:30 stopped (lunch at whangamomona, fuel stops, tickets etc). Moving average 91.8 kms, 79.8 Moving average and only 1 speeding fine. Got a sore butt and knees but hey what's a bit of pain eh?

shafty
13th September 2007, 20:39
Did a practice run today to iron out any bugs. Waiuku to Stratford to Whangamomona to Turangi to Taupo to Waiuku. 930kms 10:08hrs moving, 1:30 stopped (lunch at whangamomona, fuel stops, tickets etc). Moving average 91.8 kms, 79.8 Moving average and only 1 speeding fine. Got a sore butt and knees but hey what's a bit of pain eh?

Anthrax, what gives? Also, what're riding?

Taz
13th September 2007, 21:17
Speeding Fine for 128km. Riding BMW R1100GS. Also have an XT600 that I rode on the Rusty Ride safe 350. Awesome gravel stretch on the whangamomona road!
Andy.

shafty
13th September 2007, 21:20
Speeding Fine for 128km. Riding BMW R1100GS. Also have an XT600 that I rode on the Rusty Ride safe 350.
Andy.

Bugger. Good average speed tho!

Taz
13th September 2007, 21:27
The GPS made the navigation easy. Also helps keep track of the averages etc. Feel pretty good at the moment. So only need to do todays mileage + 700k's and i'll be sweet...:banana: Might need a sheepskin.....

shafty
13th September 2007, 21:36
Tell me about the GPS you're using, - I'm in the market myself. Trying to suss best way to use one on the bike, ie ear piece etc etc Thanks Mate. (PM me if easier)

Warr
13th September 2007, 23:40
Tell me about the GPS you're using, - I'm in the market myself. Trying to suss best way to use one on the bike, ie ear piece etc etc Thanks Mate. (PM me if easier)
Likewise ... Still havent decided whether I need the city street type GPS. Sure would be useful riding around Auckland or other cities that arent usually getting around in.

Taz
14th September 2007, 09:58
Here's a screenshot of the route I took yesterday. The detail doesn't come in fully until you zoom in on Mapsource or your GPS. I can definitely recommend the Garmin eTrex venture CX. It is a full colour unit with free auto routing maps of the whole of NZ. Contact tony at KiwiGPS http://www.finda.co.nz/business/listing/3xc/kiwigps/
He also sells on TM. He supplied the venture with all I needed to get started including a 512MB sd card with all the NZ free open gps maps http://www.gwprojects.org/gps/ already loaded. Extra's I bought included a handlebar mount and power cable to wire into the bikes battery. I wired in a cigarette lighter attachment from Repco directly to the battery to plug the lead into. That way the gps doesn't turn off every time you switch the ignition off on your bike. The buttons are easy to use on the move with gloves on but make sure you still watch where you are going :whistle: Really makes navigation easier and safer.
Hope this helps Ya all.
Andy.

shafty
15th September 2007, 11:59
Podo (FJR1300) and I took the opportunity to do a practice night run last night - to shake down our gear and get the eyes used to it. Departed Tauranga last night at 11pm, with a displaced BMW Owner in tow, headed to Kopu via Paeroa, then across to SH27, then thru Tahuna to SH1 thru to Hamilton for gas where both the ST and FJR took on 14 litres at 1.30am.

Thru to Te Awamutu > Otorohanga > Te Kuiti for coffee and pie at 2.35am, then leg stretch at Taumarunui before topping gas at Turangi at 5.15am.
We back tracked to the western access thru to Whakamaru, another brief stop, then Tokoroa > Putaruru over the Kaimai's to a cafe brekkie back in Tauranga at 7.45am.

Total of 683 km's.

What a beaut night - awesome ride - some wet roads and fog to keep us on our toes, but no rain, clear skies, bugger all traffic, and warm as. I didn't turn the hot grips on til after 6.00am, and even then it wasn't freezing.

We averaged 78km/hr including stops - of which there were too many - but that was what the practice run was all about.

Bloody neat riding all night for a change - got off the Pan Euro feeling fresh as.:2thumbsup

-Gassing up in Hamilton
-Taumarunui stop

Taz
15th September 2007, 17:05
Sounds great Shafty. You were doing almost the same average overall speed as me. I also made more stops than if was doing the GC. I am surprised the BMW ride waited for you guys though :bleh:

puddy
15th September 2007, 18:01
DUCT TAPE. I always take duct tape. You can fix heaps of stuff with duct tape!

Hitcher
16th September 2007, 17:26
I've got my FJR back and it appears to be running sweetly again. A practice ride may be in order very soon...

Plugz 4 Lugz
20th September 2007, 20:08
......... I'll be at the Grand Challenge to make custom made earplugs for any riders who have been enquiring and wanting to know where we are going to be. $70 per pair, credit card facility available (or cash). Cheers Sue, Plugz 4 Lugz 027 659 1583

banditrider
21st September 2007, 12:18
......... I'll be at the Grand Challenge to make custom made earplugs for any riders who have been enquiring and wanting to know where we are going to be. $70 per pair, credit card facility available (or cash). Cheers Sue, Plugz 4 Lugz 027 659 1583

Cool, will probably be lining up for some. Thought that the price was $65 until Nov?

clint640
21st September 2007, 12:37
Got me heated grips installed...mmm toasty! Just need to get a new headlight - the reflector is all tarnished at present - & fit the road tyres & I'm good to go.

Planning on a shakedown run around East Cape on the 29th.

Cheers
Clint

xgnr
21st September 2007, 21:49
Hi all
Going for a longish run on Sat 22nd down HW 22 to Taurmaranui then 43 thru whangamomona round Mt Taranaki return to Dorkland (open to options :yes: ) . Heading away from Greenlane (Ascot Ave hospital carpark) 9am.

Legal speeds + 10 or so

PM me if you would like to come along all or part of the run (or txt on 0275-763-519)

Cheers

Stu

Zapf
22nd September 2007, 02:11
My practice runs

29th, Sept. Plan on around 700km run. Leave Auckland around 3pm. Route may involve heading up North and back.

6th, Oct. Plan on around 1000~1200km run. Leave Auckland around 11am. Route may involve heading up North back thru Auckland and then out east to Tauranga -> Rotovagus -> across to Taupo and surrounding before heading back to Auckland. All depends on condition and k's covered.

12th, Oct. Leave Auckland Friday morning and head down to starting point. Staying at the cabins for start on Sat.

Speed will be around 120kmh indicated. Would work out around 110km GPS speed.

All welcome more the merrier. Will be doing actual GC speed, so minimum stops. Stopping for gas and sunset only. Plus a comfort / dinner stop. The idea is to condition the body and mind for lots of night time riding.

Will be updating post for starting time and location a day or two out from the ride.

Taz
22nd September 2007, 09:45
...........10 char's

xgnr
23rd September 2007, 07:38
My practice runs

29th, Sept. Plan on around 700km run. Leave Auckland around 3pm. Route may involve heading up North and back.

6th, Oct. Plan on around 1000~1200km run. Leave Auckland around 11am. Route may involve heading up North back thru Auckland and then out east to Tauranga -> Rotovagus -> across to Taupo and surrounding before heading back to Auckland. All depends on condition and k's covered.

12th, Oct. Leave Auckland Friday morning and head down to starting point. Staying at the cabins for start on Sat.

Speed will be around 120kmh indicated. Would work out around 110km GPS speed.

All welcome more the merrier. Will be doing actual GC speed, so minimum stops. Stopping for gas and sunset only. Plus a comfort / dinner stop. The idea is to condition the body and mind for lots of night time riding.

Will be updating post for starting time and location a day or two out from the ride.

Great thanks for the opportunity, will definitely tag along. Did 860km (11 hrs) yesterday Akl-HW22 to Raglan-Taurmaranui-HW43-Stratford-Tu Kuiti-Akl two stops for gas. Self imposed limit of 110km on the flats to avoid Mr Plod and provide some idea of speeds required.

Not a bad route with a number of winding roads,(43 is a great road eh) gravel and showers/rain... not enough in the dark tho' so this will be great to get the head around riding for long hours at night.

Cheers

Stu

Jantar
23rd September 2007, 16:08
I've got to make a short business trip on Wednesday. Its only 1250 km so my boss has agreed to allow me to ride and the company will pay the equivilent return airfare. It should be a great practice ride for the 1000 miler and the postie bike challenge all wrapped in one. :scooter:

Taz
23rd September 2007, 18:13
And if you have an accident it will be work related so acc will be happy too..... Have fun :)

banditrider
23rd September 2007, 20:07
Only a few weeks to go now...

Plugz 4 Lugz
23rd September 2007, 20:21
........ I've been so busy confirming events to attend over the summer I forgot we're not in October yet. $65, for sure. I'm planning to be there Friday night, right through til the ride starts on Saturday. Cheers Sue

Cool, will probably be lining up for some. Thought that the price was $65 until Nov?

Zapf
23rd September 2007, 22:15
Not a bad route with a number of winding roads,(43 is a great road eh) gravel and showers/rain... not enough in the dark tho' so this will be great to get the head around riding for long hours at night.

CheersStu

How was SH43? I hate gravel...

xgnr
24th September 2007, 11:31
How was SH43? I hate gravel...

Gravel was the sort where its hard packed with a few potholes, can easily average 60km/hr or so with no problems but it is narrow so you gotta ride so you can take avoiding action for cages coming the other way without losing the plot.

Road on the Stratford side of Whangamomona is tarseal and a pleasure to ride with tight curves.

Cheers

Stu

Taz
24th September 2007, 14:58
I hate gravel...

Dude..... You have to get over this unsubstantiated fear of gravel. Gravel is good (even on a road bike) as it takes you to the most beautiful and least populated parts of the country. I've ridden all my road bikes on gravel and seen some wonderful scenery, met some real nice people and had the most awesome rides. Definitely better than the coro loop for the 1000th time IMO. Go get your self some....... :niceone:
Andy.

KoroJ
24th September 2007, 15:10
Dude..... You have to get over this unsubstantiated fear of gravel. Gravel is good (even on a road bike) as it takes you to the most beautiful and least populated parts of the country. I've ridden all my road bikes on gravel and seen some wonderful scenery, met some real nice people and had the most awesome rides. Definitely better than the coro loop for the 1000th time IMO. Go get your self some....... :niceone:
Andy.

Yes gravel is good.....but not on the likes of a big tall heavy ST with big fat radial tyres. Yuckey-Poos!!

Zapf
24th September 2007, 22:47
Andy.

think I need to get a little farm bike to pratice on that 1st. I have dropped my bike twice on gravel.... not fun.

Rain Off
26th September 2007, 13:23
Sounds like you guys need some Rain-Off Overgloves. They are designed to fit over your normal riding gloves, and because they are heat welded, they don't let ANY rain/wind etc in. You won't need to take extra pairs of gloves as these will see you right. You can check them out on the website www.rain-off.com
Brilliant bit of kit.

Hitcher
26th September 2007, 15:09
Brilliant bit of kit.

Apart from folks with GoreTex-lined jackets who need to wear their jacket sleeves over their gloves, instead of their gloves over their jacket sleeves.

The Pastor
27th September 2007, 15:12
what do you guys think, would a 250cc sports bike be able to do the gc?

Blackbird
27th September 2007, 15:28
If a Suzuki RG 50 can do the Southern Cross, a 250 can easily do the GC. However, the bike is only part of it. The rider's mental toughness and preparation counts for a big percentage of the success.

Hitcher
27th September 2007, 16:03

Do the maths. 1,600km divided by 24 hours is a rolling average of 67kmh (to the nearest whole number). In theory a Grand Challenge can be completed without exceeding the legal speed limit. We did our first one in 23 hours 59 minutes (long story), with the last stretch from Taumarunui to Turangi being completed in just over 35 minutes which, apparently, required the legal speed limit to be exceeded by just a tad.

banditrider
27th September 2007, 19:37
If a Suzuki RG 50 can do the Southern Cross, a 250 can easily do the GC. However, the bike is only part of it. The rider's mental toughness and preparation counts for a big percentage of the success.

Think the same dude did a GC on his RG50 too. Unless it was another madman! :first:

shafty
27th September 2007, 19:59
Only a few weeks to go now...

I guess you'd be shampoo'ing that Mohawk by now BR? lol

Yeah, should be a goodie. Another training ride this weekend, night vision goggles at the ready (Geez the eBay is handy) lol:laugh:

banditrider
27th September 2007, 20:02

Reckon it'll go a few more before needing a wash...

I might have one before then though.

Blackbird
27th September 2007, 20:27
Think the same dude did a GC on his RG50 too. Unless it was another madman! :first:

One one of the years I did it (97?), there was a guy on a Honda 100 and he missed by about half an hour if my memory serves me correctly.

banditrider
27th September 2007, 20:52

So who else is man enough to get haired up for the ride? :blip: There were 3 of us last year...

Zapf
27th September 2007, 22:49
Anyone keen for a long ride out from Auckland this Friday night? PM me if you keen. Sat night looks to be wet and I am running out my old tires at the moment. (less tread)

Taz
28th September 2007, 06:15
How much gravel are we riding?? :shifty:

Zapf
28th September 2007, 13:29
How much gravel are we riding?? :shifty:

none... 10 char

Hitcher
28th September 2007, 14:13
Unless its road works. (22 char)

Blackbird
28th September 2007, 14:29
Just to add a note of levity on a Friday afternoon, I shall throw the word "underpants" into the ring:shutup:. Without being too unseemly, my first two Grand Challenges were undertaken wearing good old "speedo" type underpants and they damned near drove me insane. Whether it was the shape of my saddle which combined with the underpant design I have no idea, but after a few hours into the ride, the pants rode up between my cheeks and the leg seams also dug into the top of my leg, slowing circulation. It's hard enough concentrating in the latter stages of a ride like that anyway without undergarments driving you slowly insane.

On subsequent GC's and for the Southern Cross, I switched to the closer-fitting boxers as popularised among womenfolk by Dan Carter (oh, and as used by every male participant in the Hero Parade, but we won't go there:shifty:). Problem completely solved. I haven't noticed any change to my sex life since changing to a more modern garment, but at least my motorcycling comfort has improved immeasurably.

And on that note, I will bid you a grand weekend:done:

xgnr
28th September 2007, 19:48
Anyone keen for a long ride out from Auckland this Friday night? PM me if you keen. Sat night looks to be wet and I am running out my old tires at the moment. (less tread)

Bugger... missed this one... was all geared up for Sat night!

Zapf
29th September 2007, 00:05
Bugger... missed this one... was all geared up for Sat night!

don't worry, due to the lack of responses I went and did the coro loop today day instead. As it got dark I find that I am going into corners way too quick, as there were nothing to judge my corner speed by... (the bike just had new suspension and it is smooth).

so I think I need more lights... (head lights) so I can judge the corners better.

So where are we riding to tomorrow night? should we just meet up and decide then? PM me your cellphone number if u keen.

xgnr
29th September 2007, 06:32
don't worry, due to the lack of responses I went and did the coro loop today day instead. As it got dark I find that I am going into corners way too quick, as there were nothing to judge my corner speed by... (the bike just had new suspension and it is smooth).

so I think I need more lights... (head lights) so I can judge the corners better.

So where are we riding to tomorrow night? should we just meet up and decide then? PM me your cellphone number if u keen.

PM sent!

Thats why you find it out now eh. I find that my dip drops off horribly even with upgraded bulb. Was thinking about some extra lights on the forks to help with the headlight one way, wheels the other problem but havn't got round to getting the mounts sorted.

Cheers

Stu

Kickaha
29th September 2007, 08:38

When I did it in 92-93 there was a guy who did it on a NSR80?

he was having problems walking the next day because his knees were so swollen due to spending so much time in such a cramped position but he completed it with in the allowable time so a 250 wouldn't have a problem

I agree with Blackbird in that it's more mental toughness that will see you through

FJRider
30th September 2007, 20:57
1000 miler's done in either island,are just as tough.Mental toughness IS the key. By starting off thinking ONLY 1600 km's left bogs the brain. Just think of more important things like the next checkpoint or the next fuel/food stop.And untill then,just worry about the next 100 metres of road ahead and what it HIDES. The rest / end will come...eventually. Ride at your Own pace.A half hour sleep will give more GO than a 6-pack of V. A pocket alarm clock comes in handy about then. If you need sleep...you can,if you dont...you cant. And if you need to pee,do it while you have a place and time to do it... in time. NO TWO 1000 MILERS ARE EVER THE SAME. NO TWO RIDERS ARE EVER THE SAME, relax and enjoy the ride,and just be careful. (sound familar)

Zapf
30th September 2007, 22:29
PM sent!

Thats why you find it out now eh. I find that my dip drops off horribly even with upgraded bulb. Was thinking about some extra lights on the forks to help with the headlight one way, wheels the other problem but havn't got round to getting the mounts sorted.

Cheers

Stu

Last night while riding out at Clevedon on our way to Maranda with a mate, we figured out there are these little noobs that lets me adjust the hight of my headlight beam... so wolla. It changed from Oh shit I didn't see that corner to, ah... corner here I come.

Just ordered a HID upgrade for my low beam, hopefully it'll arrive in time.

Hitcher
1st October 2007, 08:04
Just ordered a HID upgrade for my low beam, hopefully it'll arrive in time.

We rode with a mate on his Blackbird on our first GC. His straight-ahead pencil-thin high beam was great on the straights but piss useless in corners, so he ended up following us through most of the twisties. We'd upgraded the bulb in Mrs H's Marauder that year and following her on high beam was like following a small supernova, so we got her to lead through the Waioeka Gorge stage (in the freezing torrential downpour). Choose your riding companions tactically!

clint640
1st October 2007, 10:52
Went for a burn around East Cape on Saturday night to test out the new headlight & spotlight setup. It was going really well until a couple of sheep jumped out in front of me & sent me & bike cartwheeling down the road at 70km/h.

So assuming my ankle comes right it looks like I'll be doing the GC on either Rosie's Super Sherpa 250 or me mate Pauls DR650. The DR might be the ticket but I'm pissed off cos the 640 setup with comfort seat, hot grips, windscreen & lights was just chewing up the miles beautifully.

...& no, the sheep are not alright. I hope the woolly little fuckers burn in hell. :angry2:

Clint

Taz
1st October 2007, 12:43
Sorry to hear that Clint. Hope you heal up in time. How bad is the 640? If all else fails I've got an XT600 you could use. Hot grips, windscreen and pirelli MT90A/T's too.
Andy.

Zapf
1st October 2007, 18:07
Sorry to hear that Clint. Hope you heal up in time. How bad is the 640? If all else fails I've got an XT600 you could use. Hot grips, windscreen and pirelli MT90A/T's too.
Andy.

Ouch Clint, hope you have something for the GC. Just shout out if u looking for something, someone might just have some bits sitting around.

We rode with a mate on his Blackbird on our first GC. His straight-ahead pencil-thin high beam was great on the straights but piss useless in corners, so he ended up following us through most of the twisties. We'd upgraded the bulb in Mrs H's Marauder that year and following her on high beam was like following a small supernova, so we got her to lead through the Waioeka Gorge stage (in the freezing torrential downpour). Choose your riding companions tactically!

Yea, this BBird will be different. HID low beam and a Felix special 110W V beam. Should be great for cornering. Suprise how round headlights are still the best.

Lee Rusty
2nd October 2007, 22:19
see you guys next week - we have near enough to a full house again this year.

LR

Zapf
2nd October 2007, 22:35
see you guys next week - we have near enough to a full house again this year.

LR

Yes will be good to be there. Hopefully no more quakes near that place. :)

clint640
3rd October 2007, 08:43
Thanks heaps for the offers of help Andy & Zapf, much appreciated! Hopefully I'll be alright on me mate's DR650, it's very well looked after. I might pad the seat up a bit though.

The 640 didn't look too bad when I saw it in the dark, all the dash, headlight assembly, front mudguard & everything on the bars was rooted, & the tail light & rear carrier were wrecked. As long as the forks aren't bent it shouldn't be too much of a major, but it's usually takes 3-4 weeks to get parts out of Austria & KTM NZ are unlikely to have everything in stock.

Cheers
Clint

Zapf
5th October 2007, 16:21
Night ride.

Tonight Friday 5th Oct. leaving Auckland around nine ish and return to Auckland around 3am. Will be a short ish ride. I'll do a longer one in the next day or two depending on how I feel. Txt / Call me on 029 241 0185 if you are keen.

Hitcher
7th October 2007, 13:08
Thanks to a combination of a family commitment in Stratford on Friday and absolutely pox weather subsequently, I haven't been able to get in that big night ride I had hoped for. With any luck all of this climatological crap should have cleared by the coming weekend and we will be left to Challenge unsullied.

Zapf
7th October 2007, 22:57
Weather was clear up Auckland way, so me and Xgnr went to visit the Coro by moon light. After that we went to Tauranga and then back home. Not as long as I have hoped but it did give the workout intended after 576km.

Be warned, stay away from the business end of bike with a 100W high beam and 2 x 35W spot lights... its like a searing sun beam from behind. :)

Oh and I think I need a radar detector.... I am enjoying the bird far too much

Blackbird
10th October 2007, 09:09
Best of luck guys and take care. The forecast is very similar to the first one I did in '96 with moderate rain moving in late Saturday night and intensifying in the small hours of Sunday morning (see MetVuw rainfall chart). This is the time when Lee normally sends you down some poxy back road with no illumination. If you haven't already got any: Plexus, Nikwax Visor Proof, or Pledge will be an invaluable accessory for stopping rain and crud sticking to the visor.

Hitcher
10th October 2007, 09:11
I am projecting positive energy at the weather. It will be fine and calm.

NZsarge
10th October 2007, 09:15

Yeah good luck with that.........and for the ride,that goes for all you guys and gals doing the GC this weekend.

Zapf
10th October 2007, 17:29

Yes I will install a portable aura shield on my bike as well, as long as you are 1km of me weather will be perfect.

Oh HID lights and V beams are installed today as well... bring on the sunbeams....

banditrider
10th October 2007, 17:45
Yes I will install a portable aura shield on my bike as well, as long as you are 1km of me weather will be perfect.

Can you throw a spell to cover everyone else as well or do we have to do some sort of dance before the kick-off? :laugh:

Hitcher
10th October 2007, 19:01
I've just seen the weekend's forecast. Jesus wept. Must project harder. Must project harder...

KoroJ
10th October 2007, 20:46
I've just seen the weekend's forecast. Jesus wept. Must project harder. Must project harder...

By the look of the forecast, he's not just weeping. I'd say he's really pissed about something.

After some projecting and praying of my own, I went out out and bought an outer shell of pvc to assist the corduras. Just got to find some bread bags now.

Cary
10th October 2007, 20:47

Still think you should do it hard like me, who needs 1100cc.............

Never did like riding at night, in the rain:baby:

Hitcher
10th October 2007, 21:15
The Hitchers are starters 31 and 32. Bring it on!

shafty
10th October 2007, 21:48
A couple of things you can't change in life include the weather, and how tall you are.

My long held belief is that much of the Met Office ethos is "its better to predict BAD and get good, than the other way around" . In Sydney they used to say "There's a 82% chance of rain" - so if it does, they're right, and if it doesn't, guess what, they're right. Butt covering.

Does this sound a desperate theory?

We could always go to the pub? Or is that anxious talk from a 1st time Entrant?

:pinch:

Warr
10th October 2007, 22:20
A couple of things you can't change in life include the weather, and how tall you are.

My long held belief is that much of the Met Office ethos is "its better to predict BAD and get good, than the other way around" . In Sydney they used to say "There's a 82% chance of rain" - so if it does, they're right, and if it doesn't, guess what, they're right. Butt covering.

Does this sound a desperate theory?

Yes !!
But lets remember forecasting isn't a science.
I'm entry number 37 this year.

warewolf
10th October 2007, 23:18
Ah, I think I fall into the veteran category for this ride. A few thoughts follow.

The biggest single point I can add is to maintain your normal routine as much as possible; second most is obvious, stay warm and dry.

Yes dehydration is something most riders (even those out for a day ride) don't manage properly. I normally ride with a camelbak for any ride longer than 1 hour. At the end of the day I'll be as alert as at the start, in contrast a lot of people are tapering off because they are tired and dehydrated - mostly the latter I reckon, as many I ride with are fitter than me.

Caffeine? I drink lots of coffee. When I don't drink coffee, I get caffeine withdrawal headaches. Not Good. So on a GC, I drink as much decent coffee as I please. If I'm working on a downed server, I'll drink coffee round the clock. A GC is no different - I'm working all night. Touring I tend to have V drinks and Ginger Beer (traditional anti-dehy drink) for morning and afternoon tea. Do the same on the GC. Don't sweat it; maintain your normal routine.

Food... yeah I stop at dinner time on Saturday and have dinner. Why wouldn't you? Duh. The coldest part of the trip is always 4am to 6am, so I generally stop at 6am (or the check point thereafter) for a breaky break: Yoghurt-coated museli bar, orange juice, espresso coffee. This keeps me off the road when the sun is lowest and shining in my eyes. If I feel like eating a hot pie, I do so; one GC I reckon I had a pie at every (of 7) check point. Any endurance event less than 48 hours you don't have to worry about diet or nutrition, just energy intake. Do whatever works for you and keeps you happy - mental health is equally important. Forget about the vitamins and minerals, but having said that, slow release foods are better than sugar and chocolate, and I know my body craves fresh fruit and veg, so I get into the salad sangers and sometimes the overpriced pre-cut fruit salad.

Training? Umm... never considered the idea of training for a night ride. I ride lots at night, and in the day, and in the gravel, blah blah blah I'm probably the wrong person to ask on that front. Got no idea what it's like to suddenly ride heaps, I do it all the time. Don't ride every day now since I work from home, but still think nothing of jumping on the bike after work and riding till midnight.

I wear padded cycling shorts. Tight-fitting sports boxer shorts are probably just as good - I use both but defer to the cycling shorts for the longer days. Change your body position before you get sore, on the 640 Adventure I have to move my arse 5-10mm on the seat every 10mins otherwise I get sore. On the Triumph Trophy, the GC isn't long enough for me to get sore... the Southern Cross is.

Warm/dry; I have a proper waterproof textile suit/boots/gloves, plus I have rubber overboots and this year have found XL rubber gloves that will go over my winter bike gloves (leather/waterproof/thermal) for extra warmth by keeping the leather dry and the wind off. Historically this weekend could be really wet. Rubber overboots, in fact anything non-porous, does wonders for keeping out the wind chill. Heated grips are a big plus. I've never resorted to a heated vest or heated gloves/socks/pants/jersey like the softcock IBA Americans tooling along boring motorways... OK I'm being rude but you get the drift, no need for overkill. Some kind of neck warmer is useful.

As Lee advises; if it is wet, and you don't like riding in the wet, slow down relax take it easy. Ditto when it is dark. Make up the time when it is fine dry and sunny. I ride with a mate who is considerably slower, but I treat it as a social ride. We take 23 hours; I'll wait for him on the straights after the twisty bits, then ride at my own pace through the corners, then wait for him to catch up again. We don't need no steekin' speeding tickets! Speed is totally not an issue.

Layer up with warm gear BEFORE the heat is sucked out of your body. You know the ambient temperature is dropping, deal to it before it is a problem. It is more efficient to maintain your body heat than build it up again. Take off all the excess warm gear at 9am Sun or whenever to feel liberated and back enjoying your surroundings; a good mental shift to help with those last handful of hours to get you home. With 200km to go I'm usually starting to feel down, knowing the fun is almost all over for another year.

Fuel stops, yeah the check points can get busy. Better to fuel elsewhere but don't sweat it. Time isn't that critical; some years I've filled at every check point, not a drama, just gets a bit tiresome. The Adventure I only filled 4 times en-route last year, could've cut it to 3 but I stress a bit about fuel - easy fix, carry plenty avoids the stress. Best range achieved last year was theoretically 570km to dry but I filled about every 375km average.

To my way of thinking, don't even think about taking a kip en-route. Yes, get off the bike, stretch, eat/drink do some calistenics whatever. Soon as you sleep you're on the back foot. Stopping for a sleep at home is a proven way to give up.

Oh, and trailer your bike to Turangi? mwahahahaha! Half the participants ride home afterwards on Sunday arvo. Ex-Auckland it is 2300km in 48 hours: Friday after COB to Sunday night when you get home. The middle 1600km is more intense but is not the only riding for the weekend. One of the reasons I've not done the Chatto Creek jobbie yet is that it is 900km from Nelson, so a 3400km weekend... gotta take an extra a day off work for that sucker.

Cary
11th October 2007, 07:00
With 200km to go I'm usually starting to feel down, knowing the fun is almost all over for another year.

Your writeup made me feel better about attempting the 1000 for the first time, cheers. I woulda thought opposite about the above 200 to go thinking your almost home, guess i'll find out:niceone:

The only time i've ridden at night in the last year(at least) was a Alk-Palmy-Alk trip as test ride to visit my hospitalised mum. My first priority is to finish, 2nd is within 24hrs.

DougieNZ
11th October 2007, 07:16
Brilliant Post Colin...thanks

I did the Southern Cross this year, and am keen for my forst GC this weekend.

I haven't done any practice but, being a shift worker, I'm used to the being up in the middle of the night thing. One thing I did notice during the SC was the more night riding you did, then better it became... I am hoping the same will apply this weekend.

The weather forecast looks to be absolute rubbish, so it should make for interesting times!

Once again... thanks for sharing your experience!

Regards

DougieNZ
11th October 2007, 07:21

I would consider that Shafty... provided you promise to keep your clothes on this time.... :msn-wink:

Blackbird
11th October 2007, 11:19
Your writeup made me feel better about attempting the 1000 for the first time, cheers. I woulda thought opposite about the above 200 to go thinking your almost home, guess i'll find out:niceone:

The only time i've ridden at night in the last year(at least) was a Alk-Palmy-Alk trip as test ride to visit my hospitalised mum. My first priority is to finish, 2nd is within 24hrs.

That is absolutely the right attitude and it will get you through:niceone:. I'm not sure I'm doing the right thing in posting it, but as the weather forecast is not that flash, I've attached the ride report of the '96 Grand Challenge which was the first one I did. The weather was pretty ugly that year and maybe the report which was written from the perspective of a newbie might help. The satisfaction of completing it, let alone within the 24 hours was almost indescribable. When you've finished this event, you realise that you don't have to prove anything to anyone ever again!

Best wishes all, and safe travelling!

Geoff

Swoop
11th October 2007, 15:06
Yes dehydration is something most riders (even those out for a day ride) don't manage properly. I normally ride with a camelbak for any ride longer than 1 hour. At the end of the day I'll be as alert as at the start, in contrast a lot of people are tapering off because they are tired and dehydrated - mostly the latter I reckon, as many I ride with are fitter than me.
A basic rule of thumb for dehydration... "If you are not pissing, you are not drinking enough".

Best of luck to everyone on the GC!
Stay safe out there.

banditrider
11th October 2007, 15:49
We're stuck with the weather no matter what it is - see y'all in Turangi!

Cary
11th October 2007, 16:01
Thanks Geoff, I've been reading as many reviews as i can find to get an idea of whats involved, tips etc.

I'm a crap navigator so hope i don't get too lost.

Cary.

banditrider
11th October 2007, 16:18
There's some write-ups of the ones I've done on my website if you're interested. Don't stress about getting lost - been there done that, all part of the fun...

Hitcher
11th October 2007, 16:36
I'm a crap navigator so hope i don't get too lost.

Follow another bike. That way, if you get lost, it's their fault! Hah! Ain't that right, Zapf?

Cary
11th October 2007, 16:45
Follow another bike. That way, if you get lost, it's their fault! Hah! Ain't that right, Zapf?

Now THATS a plan:lol:

Will do Bandit, cheers.

Taz
11th October 2007, 17:48
Now THATS a plan:lol:

Will do Bandit, cheers.

You'll be ok Cary. You can follow me as we are leaving on the same minute. I'd never lead you astray.....:cool:

So who's arriving there on Friday??
Andy.

DougieNZ
11th October 2007, 18:00
Myself and KoroJ leaving about 10.30am from BP JVille via Wairarapa.

banditrider
11th October 2007, 18:40
Blue Bandito & I leaving Palmy approx 1pm.

Hitcher
11th October 2007, 20:08
Mrs H and I will be heading straight up the guts, leaving 10:30-11ish. Lunch at Bulls. If you see a red Bandit and a grey-and-blue FJR stopped outside the bus depot there, please join us for a yack. Otherwise we'll see you at scrutineering. Ride safely, folks!

shafty
11th October 2007, 20:21
Podo and I expect to point the FJR and STX toward the Kaimai Ranges late Fri arvo. I guess the Camping ground is easy enough to spot?

Zapf
11th October 2007, 20:42

Yea. Make sure you follow the one with a GPS. HID's and Spot lights all around.... oh isn't that called a sun?

BTW I am #28. Guess I'll be seeing u :)

nadroj
11th October 2007, 20:50
Going over friday arvo but back not up to competing. Will get a few pics & maybe a KB group photo?

warewolf
11th October 2007, 21:34
I guess the Camping ground is easy enough to spot?Map thingy (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Te+Reiti+Tamara+Grove,+Turangi,+new+zealand&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=65.008093,97.03125&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=14&ll=-38.988369,175.803308&spn=0.031823,0.047379&t=).

warewolf
11th October 2007, 21:36
Your writeup made me feel better about attempting the 1000 for the first time, cheers.

Brilliant Post Colin...thanks

You're welcomes x2.

My first priority is to finish, 2nd is within 24hrs.Yeah, mirrors my first one, too.

warewolf
11th October 2007, 21:40
A basic rule of thumb for dehydration... "If you are not pissing, you are not drinking enough".Too right!

Or if you're pissing bright orange syrup...

shafty
11th October 2007, 21:51
Map thingy (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Te+Reiti+Tamara+Grove,+Turangi,+new+zealand&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=65.008093,97.03125&layer=&ie=UTF8&z=14&ll=-38.988369,175.803308&spn=0.031823,0.047379&t=).

Cheers Wolfman

Highlander
12th October 2007, 23:14
You fellas doing this ought be snoozing about now, but hope it all goes well for you.

Ride safe and I look forward to reading all about it when you get back.

Zapf
13th October 2007, 00:00
yes... weather is looking goofed for it too :) reporting live..

Beemer
13th October 2007, 11:20
Well, after hearing where they are headed this year I don't envy the guys (including my dearly beloved) as they are heading where the weather is expected to be the worst.

Up the western side of the lake, through Paeroa, Auckland, Dargaville, Kaitaia, Bay of Islands, Whangarei, Auckland, Bombay, Ngarauwahia, Te Kuiti, Taumaranui and Ohura.

Weather forecast for those areas tonight and tomorrow? Rain developing in Northland, spreading south this evening as northerlies rise to gale force. Showers tomorrow and isolated thunderstorms with hail and westerlies, severe gales in the south.

Most of the top half of the island is expected to have strong winds and heavy rain, so I hope all the entrants stay safe and don't experience too many problems with the bad weather.

Good luck to you all and I hope you all make it home safely. I somehow don't think they will have many takers for their extra 500 kilometres to celebrate the 21st anniversary!

Here in Levin it's sunny and quite nice, it's just a shame I can't send some of that weather northwards.

Zapf
14th October 2007, 23:16
Ermm that was a fun ride. As I headed out of Dargaville heading North, it was around 7:30 and just enough sunlight left to see the weather fronts moving in, with the rain / wind... (I think they need a name for rain flying sideways, rain falls straight)

NZsarge
15th October 2007, 02:30
Ermm that was a fun ride. As I headed out of Dargaville heading North, it was around 7:30 and just enough sunlight left to see the weather fronts moving in, with the rain / wind... (I think they need a name for rain flying sideways, rain falls straight)

Yeah, did'nt envy you guy out there , well done and hope y'all made it home safe.

Plugz 4 Lugz
15th October 2007, 07:43
Glad to see you got back ok in that crap weather we slept through!!!! How did the earplugs go for you? Cheers Sue

Beemer
15th October 2007, 07:52
Andy was certainly happy to get home and sleep in his own bed last night. Not fun to be riding in strong winds and rain for most of the trip.

Is the guy he ferried to a hotel after he crashed okay? Think he (or his mate) was riding a Blackbird and he may have dislocated his collarbone. Andy took him on the back of his bike then took his mate back to collect the bike.

Glad to have him home again, that's for sure!

nadroj
15th October 2007, 14:05
Andy was certainly happy to get home and sleep in his own bed last night. Not fun to be riding in strong winds and rain for most of the trip.

Is the guy he ferried to a hotel after he crashed okay? Think he (or his mate) was riding a Blackbird and he may have dislocated his collarbone. Andy took him on the back of his bike then took his mate back to collect the bike.

Glad to have him home again, that's for sure!

He's just rung me on his way back from Opononi to pick up his gear he left in Turangi onhis way thru New Plymouth to Stratford. He has a broken collarbone & bruised hip from the high side. His description was he was following other riders going down the hill to Opononi when the bike in front of him braked in the middle of a corner & he locked the rear of the ST1100 on some loose stuff before it gripped again & highsided him. He asked me to pass on thanks to Andy & others who helped especially his brother in law Robin Halse (on the blackbird) who sacrificed his GNC to stay with him.

banditrider
15th October 2007, 14:57
He's just rung me on his way back from Opononi to pick up his gear he left in Turangi onhis way thru New Plymouth to Stratford. He has a broken collarbone & bruised hip from the high side. His description was he was following other riders going down the hill to Opononi when the bike in front of him braked in the middle of a corner & he locked the rear of the ST1100 on some loose stuff before it gripped again & highsided him. He asked me to pass on thanks to Andy & others who helped especially his brother in law Robin Halse (on the blackbird) who sacrificed his GNC to stay with him.

Glad to here he's ok and got home ok. We passed you guys and you waved us on but it gave us something to think about as we kept going. Hope he's all healed and ready in time for the next one.

Blue Bandito
15th October 2007, 15:16
Gald to have done another one. Weather was rubbish so congrats to all finishers.

Those that haven't done a GC don't understand why we do it and they never will. Until they do one for themselves. It's no different to people that run marathons or do Iron Man events. I think they are mad, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

A big thanks to all the Rustys for another well organised and run event.

I'll be back next year.

Beemer
15th October 2007, 15:23
He's just rung me on his way back from Opononi to pick up his gear he left in Turangi on his way thru New Plymouth to Stratford. He has a broken collarbone & bruised hip from the high side. His description was he was following other riders going down the hill to Opononi when the bike in front of him braked in the middle of a corner & he locked the rear of the ST1100 on some loose stuff before it gripped again & highsided him. He asked me to pass on thanks to Andy & others who helped especially his brother in law Robin Halse (on the blackbird) who sacrificed his GNC to stay with him.

Pleased to hear his injuries are only painful and not life-threatening. Not fun to crash under any circumstances but at least he did have someone with him and others prepared to help. Hope his bike isn't too badly damaged either!

Warr
15th October 2007, 16:37
Was one of those rides for sure.
I've hung my wet weather gear up for a long time. I have NO desire to be on 2 wheels on any wet roads for quite some time. Completed in a respectable 19hrs 35 min. The sense of achievement will come in time. Was more like survival at all cost at times. The weather was horrendous - notable was been blown literally sideways south of Wellsford on SH 16. The wind was V strong. And then on a home bit of road lay the bike down doing ~60kph, there was nothing to grip to - yes the road was wet. And then the grueling 65k's out and back to Ohura on a slippery goat track.
But Lee's words still echo in my mind. It is a Challenge.

And top marks to any other first-timers. It only gets easier !! TA being in that category .. and he says he will do it again! So cant have been that bad. And it was useful to have someone to help lift the trusty VFR up off the deck, so I could carry on to complete.

Here is a pic of my bit of road and there is no grip in the centre either. Pic courtesy of TA

Blackbird
15th October 2007, 16:52
One word Warren: RESPECT:2thumbsup:2thumbsup

nadroj
15th October 2007, 16:59
I didn't do the ride myself (back problems still) but attended my second GNC this year. I did take many pics of before & after plus got a few going up the hill at Tokaanu just after the start. Pics are available free to any competitor but rather than posting heaps of pics, a bike description would be easier for me to identify your bike & post or e-mail the pic to you. Some of you way want to pay me a bribe to not post your pic - especially the Hitchers & Zapf.

Cheers for the good wishes for Alan's recovery. He is meant to be delivering me his bike tonight on his way home so I may sneak some damage pics (him & bike).

And well done KoroJ for completing the 500km extension - yes 2100km in less than 24hrs

tri boy
15th October 2007, 18:39
I tip my hat to all who did this ride.:2thumbsup
To attack a long distance ride in such rotten conditions through the night is something that I would prefer not to do.

awesome effort.:niceone:

banditrider
15th October 2007, 18:58
Map of the ride here (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=107222745064103358547.00043c7fe169040fe40b2&z=7&om=1).

KoroJ
15th October 2007, 19:07
I tip my hat to all who did this ride.:2thumbsup
To attack a long distance ride in such rotten conditions through the night is something that I would prefer not to do.

awesome effort.:niceone:

Conditions were great when we started!!

Taz
15th October 2007, 19:38
I had a ball the whole way round. Finished in 19 hours. I was on the black R1100GS (clicked over 100,000kms on the auckland motorway on the way north) riding with Cary on the XT600. got to Te Kuiti at 7:30am and stopped for breakfast. Highway 22 in the dark and rain at 5:30am was fun too. And unlike some we did the entire route including SH10 way up the top and SH16 from wellsford. For those of you who opted to not do these -- shame!
Andy.

puddy
15th October 2007, 19:39
Have just finished tidying up my crap from this year's GC.
I rode down on Friday afternoon with XGNR.
The weather was threatening when we started the GC, then turned to pissing rain for most of us at about Auckland for a couple/few hours. It did improve a bit, but was quite windy, and heavy showers were at times very frequent. Still, it could always be worse. And was probably offset a bit by a relatively route. For the first timers, when you get to do a fine one it will be a piece of cake! Many thanks to Lee and all the other Rusties, as always, a great event. How many clubs do you know where the members organise and support events that most of them can't ride in, and people like myself, who aren't members can do the events? Good time had by most people. Rode home via Rotorua with XGNR and Zapf. Yeah, sorry Zapf about the late/heavy braking and sudden turn toward Matamata. Guess I need GPS too ( or you and XGNR could get K7s! ).

TerminalAddict
15th October 2007, 19:46
My Report
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=58986
19.5 hours .. .choice !!!!

Anthrax .. you guys with freaking crazy through the Ohura section .. well done !!!!!
Obviously trusted your tyres more than I trusted mine

puddy
15th October 2007, 19:57
Also, hats off to the four who completed the extension (don't let it go to your head Ian! If it does, then get ya Missus to open a bottle of Speights......it'll bring down the swelling! ) Seriously, well done! The penny dropped, after reading the previous two pages, saw that Hitcher and Mrs H and others whose faces I know but names I don't were there.......small world. Who else did it this year, or has done it in past years? Mr and Mrs 'Goldwing 1800'? ( congrats on ya tenth.........both have something else to polish when Mum's not around ). Be there again next year. Hope to see the usual suspects and a few new ones. And cheers to Stu and Felix!

Taz
15th October 2007, 20:18
PIC1 - Not a very good pic but this is the check at dargaville.
PIC2 - Lined up for the start
PIC3 & 4 - A little road we found on the way home.

xgnr
15th October 2007, 20:59
Back home now and reflecting on my first GC.

First of all a huge thanks to those that gave me help and encouragement in the months beforehand. Blackbird, Puddy and Zapf in particular :niceone:

The run itself was a bit of a blur. Some parts that stand out were

1. Coming around a corner (Te Aroha) and seeing a rider on a grass verge rolling around in pain and his bike through a fence.. expecting the worst but TG he is ok but in hospital under observation. His helmet was well stuffed and he is very lucky. Unwinding the the bike from a live electric fence was an interesting and slightly shocking experience!

2. Following a rider after the bin for a number of K's only to have him pull over and question why I (we.. 2 others) were following him as he was a local and just running in his new bike...doh (yes Puddy, my GPS was telling me that I was off route). hmmm added a few Ks to the trip.

3. Riding from Paeroa to Dargaville in the dark with torrential rain and scary wind gusts by myself was not fun.

4. My phobia of riding on wet shiny bits is over due to exposure therapy.

5. Cow shit in the rain is extremely slippery when you hit it at 110km. Bit like wet shiny bits but worse.

6. Second Bin was a HD in front of our little group at 2.00am or so lost it on a tight RH corner in the Waipoua Forest. Comments that I recall once we picked it up and dusted the rider down. "The wife is going to be really pissed off about this".... " I was having a real good time till I fell off"

7. Almost running out of gas before the last check point... Thanks Nigel (had spare Gas for the Metric Harley)and Puddy. Brain was not computing re distance through Ohura to Taumaranui.

8. You have to have good lights... My "death ray" lights worked a treat. Just don't leave them on for long without the engine running (as I did today on the way home)

8. Bikers are good people and fun to be with.

Especial thanks to the Rusty crew for a fantastic event.

Puddy, Nigel and Zapf for their good company during the event. Now considering Chatto Creek:pinch:

Cheers to all involved

Stu

nadroj
15th October 2007, 21:00
Also, hats off to the four who completed the extension (don't let it go to your head Ian! If it does, then get ya Missus to open a bottle of Speights......it'll bring down the swelling! ) Seriously, well done! The penny dropped, after reading the previous two pages, saw that Hitcher and Mrs H and others whose faces I know but names I don't were there.......small world. Who else did it this year, or has done it in past years? Mr and Mrs 'Goldwing 1800'? ( congrats on ya tenth.........both have something else to polish when Mum's not around ). Be there again next year. Hope to see the usual suspects and a few new ones. And cheers to Stu and Felix!

Is this you?

smoky
15th October 2007, 21:44
Well done guys

smoky
15th October 2007, 21:47
PIC3 & 4 - A little road we found on the way home.

Is that the back road over the divi to Raglan?

Taz
15th October 2007, 21:49
Is that the back road over the divi to Raglan?

Called old mountain road and does head raglan way.

TerminalAddict
15th October 2007, 21:53
tis on my back door step.

A road I used to frequent is cars :P

haven't done it on the hornet tho'
Did you cross over to sh22 up to Waingaro?

Warr
15th October 2007, 21:55
Went over there on a Wednesday night ride when no-one else turned up!! Strangely you never meet much traffic on it!!

Tonka
15th October 2007, 23:14
Have just finished tidying up my crap from this year's GC.
I rode down on Friday afternoon with XGNR.
The weather was threatening when we started the GC, then turned to pissing rain for most of us at about Auckland for a couple/few hours. It did improve a bit, but was quite windy, and heavy showers were at times very frequent. Still, it could always be worse. And was probably offset a bit by a relatively route. For the first timers, when you get to do a fine one it will be a piece of cake! Many thanks to Lee and all the other Rusties, as always, a great event. How many clubs do you know where the members organise and support events that most of them can't ride in, and people like myself, who aren't members can do the events? Good time had by most people. Rode home via Rotorua with XGNR and Zapf. Yeah, sorry Zapf about the late/heavy braking and sudden turn toward Matamata. Guess I need GPS too ( or you and XGNR could get K7s! ).

Hey Puddy, well done mate on GC number...how many is it now for you? I think Barbender was really keen to do the challenge this year but work commitments put an end to that. One day I'll tag in on a challenge but need to get some serious endurance riding in to do what you all do...year after year.

I still cant believe you get around on the K7 for that long, awesome bro.

Ride on dude!
Tonka (Barbenders bro)

PS: My congrats to all who participated in this years GC (and the oragnisers). Respect!!

Taz
16th October 2007, 07:06
tis on my back door step.

A road I used to frequent is cars :P

haven't done it on the hornet tho'
Did you cross over to sh22 up to Waingaro?

Yes came back up SH22. Was a bit dryer this time.

Cary
16th October 2007, 09:53
My phobia of riding on wet shiny bits is over due to exposure therapy.Stu

Mine to:niceone:

Can't say I was to thrilled at the start thinking it was gonna be raining for the entire ride but soon came right & loved the twisties, although after 17 odd hrs of riding that last lot was hard work!

Taz
16th October 2007, 10:28
Mine to:niceone:

Can't say I was to thrilled at the start thinking it was gonna be raining for the entire ride but soon came right & loved the twisties, although after 17 odd hrs of riding that last lot was hard work!

Was a bit concerned for you in the beginning..... You didn't seem to be enjoying the rain as much as I was?? WHATS WRONG WITH YOU??!!!.....:Pokey:

Cary
16th October 2007, 11:14
Was a bit concerned for you in the beginning..... You didn't seem to be enjoying the rain as much as I was?? WHATS WRONG WITH YOU??!!!.....:Pokey:

I would say a lot of it was the memory of riding in the rain/dark with my old helmet, once i found the Shoei didn't fog up & rain didn't blur the inside it was all good.

That & I think I was worried about your Beemer & if it was going to drop more oil......:gob:

KoroJ
16th October 2007, 11:56
Yes came back up SH22. Was a bit dryer this time.

Please Note: That's just 'Highway' 22 and it doesn't even derserve that.....it's a bloody goat track.

My report here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/blogs/viewblog.php?userid=9500&entry=307

Taz
16th October 2007, 11:57
Cary you cruel bastard!!........ I did it on purpose so I could wow you with my mechanical abilities and demonstrate the ease of BMW maintenance and repair......

.......Honest:o

Blue Bandito
16th October 2007, 14:19
Great write up John, well done on completing the extension.

I agree with you on Highway 22, been on it twice now, both in the wet.

Blue Bandito
16th October 2007, 14:21
That big ride should be good practice for the Wellington 1000km ride in a couple of weeks.

puddy
16th October 2007, 19:15
Is this you?

Yep! That's me. Big bugga on black GSXR Tourer! Note:pack/rack, stock pipes back on and sheepskin!
Cheers nadroj.

puddy
16th October 2007, 19:21
Hey Puddy, well done mate on GC number...how many is it now for you? I think Barbender was really keen to do the challenge this year but work commitments put an end to that. One day I'll tag in on a challenge but need to get some serious endurance riding in to do what you all do...year after year.

I still cant believe you get around on the K7 for that long, awesome bro.

Ride on dude!
Tonka (Barbenders bro)

PS: My congrats to all who participated in this years GC (and the oragnisers). Respect!!
Number 10. Yeah, Rona was gutted. I'll wait till I see him next, then I'll rub it in!
Cheers Tonka!
P.S. It is a K7 Tourer.......just put a pack/rack, stock pipes so you can lower the footpegs a bit and a sheepskin!

nadroj
16th October 2007, 19:27
Yep! That's me. Big bugga on black GSXR Tourer! Note:pack/rack, stock pipes back on and sheepskin!
Cheers nadroj.

No prob....

Zapf
16th October 2007, 21:12
Good time had by most people. Rode home via Rotorua with XGNR and Zapf. Yeah, sorry Zapf about the late/heavy braking and sudden turn toward Matamata. Guess I need GPS too ( or you and XGNR could get K7s! ).

No worries, teaches me right for following close and on top of that add my reaction time + a laden bird, it was 'just' able to make the turn. Nice to meet you BTW.

Back home now and reflecting on my first GC.

First of all a huge thanks to those that gave me help and encouragement in the months beforehand. Blackbird, Puddy and Zapf in particular :niceone:

Puddy, Nigel and Zapf for their good company during the event. Now considering Chatto Creek:pinch:
Stu

Good to have you along, sorry I wasn't around for most of the ride. Guess I was having too much fun being towed along by the different faster groups.

Please Note: That's just 'Highway' 22 and it doesn't even derserve that.....it's a bloody goat track.

My report here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/blogs/viewblog.php?userid=9500&entry=307

Tell me how many different types of animals did you see on 22? It was like a mini Zoo out there.

BarBender
16th October 2007, 21:36
Number 10. Yeah, Rona was gutted. I'll wait till I see him next, then I'll rub it in!
Cheers Tonka!
P.S. It is a K7 Tourer.......just put a pack/rack, stock pipes so you can lower the footpegs a bit and a sheepskin!

Well done Patrick on hitting double digits.
...and yeah I'm still gutted. :crybaby:

Talk soon
R

KoroJ
16th October 2007, 21:39
Tell me how many different types of animals did you see on 22? It was like a mini Zoo out there.

Was a few which I recall we discussed the other night. Opossum, Rat, Frog, wee bunny (as well as me).

Nice to meet you by the way although I do recall seeing you last year as well. Keep smiling Zapf.

clint640
17th October 2007, 08:31
Well that was a good bit of humour ;-)

My ride report taking shape here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275752

Nice to meet some of you guys. Much respect to all the other finishers, especially the hardest of the hardmen who knocked off the 2100 :clap: See ya next time!

Cheers
Clint

sAsLEX
17th October 2007, 08:39

The EFC prefers it this way as it keeps it free for our use by most whining bikers like your self. Our esteemed leader even has pet names for his favourite pot holes!

TerminalAddict
17th October 2007, 08:55
Well that was a good bit of humour ;-)

My ride report taking shape here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275752

Nice to meet some of you guys. Much respect to all the other finishers, especially the hardest of the hardmen who knocked off the 2100 :clap: See ya next time!

Cheers
Clint
good reading so far

DougieNZ
17th October 2007, 13:43
"We also came across a few bikes heading back down SH1 - they'd obviously taken a wrong turn somewhere as we were supposed to be returning south via a different route."

Hmmmm interesting reading.... I heard some rumours that some bikes may not have followed the route...

Straight down SH1 was it, and then scrub some k's off on the desert road at a quicker time....?

You are only cheating yourselves....

Blue Bandito
17th October 2007, 14:24
Checkout my web site for my write up.

http://Blue.Bandito.googlepages.com

shafty
17th October 2007, 19:16
Good write up BB!!

shafty
17th October 2007, 19:17
Does anyone know how the (fallen) Rocket 3 and ST1100 Riders are?

nadroj
17th October 2007, 19:25
Just a quick update on Alan Jamieson on (or off) the ST1100.
He returned home on monday with the bike on a trailer which I unloaded at my home to take to the local Hondah dealer which I did tuesday morning.
His shoulder & side was quite sore with his left arm in a sling.
Last night he was admitted to New Plymouth base hospital for surgery today on a collapsed lung and a shoulder rebuild. He's just rung & sounds a bit groggy still, but I'll deliver some bike mags to him tomorrow to make his stay bearable. He expects to be out by the weekend.
Kevin

shafty
17th October 2007, 19:36
He returned home on monday with the bike on a trailer which I unloaded at my home to take to the local Hondah dealer which I did tuesday morning.
Last night he was admitted to New Plymouth base hospital for surgery today on a collapsed lung and a shoulder rebuild. He's just rung & sounds a bit groggy still, but I'll deliver some bike mags to him tomorrow to make his stay bearable. He expects to be out by the weekend.
Kevin

OUCH! Pass on our regards for speedy recovery Mate

Plugz 4 Lugz
17th October 2007, 19:59
Hi:) would you please pass on my best wishes to Alan?! I made him some earplugs the other day and it turned out we knew each other from my upbringing days in Stratford. Hope he gets well soon, regards Sue (Plugz 4 Lugz)

Kevin

Plugz 4 Lugz
17th October 2007, 20:04
There were a few riders wanting earplugs and/or wired earplugs and I had discussed being at the Tauranga gunclub on Saturday 27th October. Originally we were going to be there both days but I may end up going to Frosty's track day on the 28th for a few hours. Just letting you know we'll be at the gunclub from about nine until 3pm on the Saturday only. Cheers Sue 027 659 1583

nadroj
18th October 2007, 21:31
Alan had the lung drain taken out this morning & after another xray to make sure all is OK he was sent home at 5pm.

shafty
18th October 2007, 21:34
Cheers for the update Kevin

nadroj
18th October 2007, 21:38
About $8k damage to bike to be back on road.

shafty
18th October 2007, 22:42
About $8k damage to bike to be back on road.

..................OUCH!!

Higgins
19th October 2007, 21:10
haha, hey that was me and a mate, we managed to leave kaitaia and in our tiredness saw a sign that said whangarei, we then took that road in the rain and then saw a few bikes heading in the other direction, thinking we were on the wrong road???? we had arrived in kaitaia in the dry and the road seemed completly different. when we got out our map we were half way along number 1 and we should have been on number 10. we laughed it was such an honest mistake. we thought there may have been an accident or a bridge washed out and all the bike were heading back to kaitaia. what an adventure of a ride. we did really enjoy ourselves.

Cary
20th October 2007, 11:22
haha, hey that was me and a mate, we managed to leave kaitaia and in our tiredness saw a sign that said whangarei, we then took that road in the rain and then saw a few bikes heading in the other direction, thinking we were on the wrong road???? we had arrived in kaitaia in the dry and the road seemed completly different. when we got out our map we were half way along number 1 and we should have been on number 10. we laughed it was such an honest mistake. we thought there may have been an accident or a bridge washed out and all the bike were heading back to kaitaia. what an adventure of a ride. we did really enjoy ourselves.

Quite a few did that as well as take SH1 from Wellsford instead of 16 thru Hellensville, some were mistakes some not............... Hell of a ride:devil2:

My first GC and i'll be back.

Lee Rusty
20th October 2007, 11:43
I was speaking to John this morning on the telephone and he is home an recovering with some quite bad bruising and a cracked rib. His helmet took a severe whack and he is still getting a few headaches but is ok. He has no recollection of what he did or did not do that caused the crash.

He maintains his gear was worth every penny he spent on it - and who can argue with that.

The bike is not to badly damaged and should be repaired in the short term.

He thanks those people who stopped to assist and is glad you all got home ok.

Lee Rusty

xgnr
24th October 2007, 16:39
I was speaking to John this morning on the telephone and he is home an recovering with some quite bad bruising and a cracked rib. His helmet took a severe whack and he is still getting a few headaches but is ok. He has no recollection of what he did or did not do that caused the crash.

He maintains his gear was worth every penny he spent on it - and who can argue with that.

The bike is not to badly damaged and should be repaired in the short term.

He thanks those people who stopped to assist and is glad you all got home ok.

Lee Rusty

John rode the Rocket?

Glad to hear he is OK, his helmet was well rooted which speaks well of good kit. Cant quite work out what his head connected but maybe one of the fence posts?

Unwinding the bike from the electric fence was a slightly shocking experience :blink:

Look forward to next years event (just nicer weather please)

Stu

Hitcher
24th October 2007, 19:29
That Rocket certainly left a spectacular pre-impact skidmark. And a very dead magpie. Presumably the effect and cause.

xgnr
24th October 2007, 19:43
Gotta watch those damn Magpies.. don't notice many up here but down in the Mainland they were a real pest... used to shoot the fukers (in my younger days) when we didn't care for anything other than girls, bikes and beer. I have growd up now.

They must still be a hazard :shit:

dcrook
29th October 2007, 14:36
I'm pleased to advise that John Barnes who unfortunately came to grief on the rocket on the GC is ok and back at work on light duties in between physio sessions.

He was admitted to Waikato hospital and discharged approximately 3 days later. He is one lucky fellow.

No word on the status of how the rocket is though. It wasn't looking to crisp in the fence.

cheers
Dave

dcrook
29th October 2007, 15:03
John is now back at work albeit on light duties inbetween physio sessions.
Thanks to all those that stopped and gave assistance. It's not the same without the boss around. I wonder if he'll ever forgive me for talking him into it.

DaveC

xgnr
29th October 2007, 17:47
John is now back at work albeit on light duties inbetween physio sessions.
Thanks to all those that stopped and gave assistance. It's not the same without the boss around. I wonder if he'll ever forgive me for talking him into it.

DaveC

That is great news. The bike was a tad bit ummm dirty

Plugz 4 Lugz
29th October 2007, 18:47
Can anyone put me in touch with Merv? OR let him know to contact me to get his earplugs made (the raffle winner). We will be at Big Boys Toys in a couple of weeks and I think he comes from Auckland........ Cheers Sue

Warr
30th October 2007, 21:54
The Rusty Nuts M/c latest rusty trumpet Newsletter is now on our website

As always if you no longer want to receive this just let me know and I will remove your address

http://www.rustynuts.co.nz/default.aspx?PageID=4

RideSafe all Lee Rusty

Thanks Lee for the updates :)

Thomas
4th November 2007, 16:33
Can anyone put me in touch with Merv? OR let him know to contact me to get his earplugs made (the raffle winner). We will be at Big Boys Toys in a couple of weeks and I think he comes from Auckland........ Cheers Sue

Is he a member of KB?

Plugz 4 Lugz
14th November 2007, 20:06
.... I was told he comes from Auckland and he was one of the first to take off on the GC.

Transalper
14th November 2007, 21:39
So you are after a guy named Merv, not a user name Merv (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=241)?

Plugz 4 Lugz
15th November 2007, 22:12
..... sorry for any confusion:) I'm fairly sure he was from Auckland and won a set of earplugs in the raffle..... cheers

So you are after a guy named Merv, not a user name Merv (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=241)?

Genie
16th October 2009, 16:57
Have heaps of fun...good luck to you all. xxx

Hitcher
21st October 2009, 16:38
In all of my shameless plugging in my post about this year's GC, I forgot all about my Plugz For Lugz. These are fantastic and have served me well both inside my helmet and on long-haul flights to and from the US of A last year.