PDA

View Full Version : Get some more grunt out of FXR 150?

Antallica
18th July 2003, 23:36
Hey guys, just wondering on what you guys reckon I could do to get a few more HP out of this baby. My mate told me I could just do a straight through exhaust (basically 2 stroke sounds yuck!).
I have another FXR exhaust at my disposal, I was thinking of sending down to an aftermarket place and get a custom one made.

What other things can I try?

My Pics (http://www.bikepics.com/suzuki/fxr150/01/pics.asp)

Cheers, Ants

SpankMe
18th July 2003, 23:57
I rode around on a FXR150 for a couple of months when I crashed my SV650s. Not much you can do with a 150cc. Best to just save your money for your next bike.

Kwaka-Kid
19th July 2003, 00:42
what do you mean next bike? dont you mean first bike?

hahaha! nah sorry ant! :P nothing serious eh mate :D

Antallica
19th July 2003, 08:15
Hehe ;) :rockon:

Dave
19th July 2003, 08:51
Go to a bike wrecker and get a 125 two stroke engine to fit.
That oughta do it!

Racey Rider
19th July 2003, 08:58
Originally posted by Antallica
...do a straight through exhaust (basically 2 stroke sounds yuck!).
HEY! You be careful what you say about our lovely 2 stokes! :disapint:
I might be able to handle it, but i'm sure you've hurt Dave's feelings!!

What other things can I try?

The words RG 150 come to mind

Purhapes a striaght swap.
Your FXR + a night out with your girlfriend,(better make that two), + mowing the guys lawn for six months, + a months supply of his favoratie beverage, (how much would that be SP?), + makeing it your responsablity to send flowers and a birthday card to his Mother, on his behalf, for the next 5 years!

That should cover a striaght swap for a nice RG150!
And there you Go. instant power increase! :Punk:
And you wouldn't have to worry about the new exhaust rules!

Antallica
19th July 2003, 13:28
RG150 ... YUCK! :p

Sorry guys, I won't be touching anything RG ... they just look too damn crap for my eyes. I'd like to see just how much the RG's could whip my ass by.

Racey Rider
19th July 2003, 13:35
Not the RGV.(Edited your post) But a RG. Very different bike!

But I see I'm not going to sway you!
My one race experience on the RG is wasted on someone dreaming of a VTR!
(Check their post as to all the problems the VTR's are having.)
((Never happen with a RG!!!)) :niceone:

Racey Rider
19th July 2003, 13:41
Originally posted by Antallica
I'd like to see just how much the RG's could whip my ass by.

Ther's a $100 note with your name on it if you & your FXR can get within 10 seconds of my (RG150) long track lap time around Mainfield!

I've only ridden the short track once. Have never been on the long track yet. Should be easy money! By your theory!! :whistle:

Coldkiwi
19th July 2003, 13:56
Mate, my honest advice is save your money and buy a sports 250 ZXR, CBR or similar and get a package that brakes, turns and accelerates a whole lot better than the FXR. The FXR  was designed as a learners/commuters bike.. attempts to make it into something fast are bound to be more expensive than just buying the faster bike to start with (and you get all the ancillary stuff like chassis/brakes/suspension/sporty position to make it really worth while and a WHOLE lot more enjoyable.)

georgedubyabush
19th July 2003, 14:00
maybe rip everything off of it you dont need. I mean who needs a fairing when your pushing it to get to 120 anyway. then there's all those fancyshmancy lights and un-neccesary gauges. mirrors- a waste when youre going so fast you wont need to check behind you. Do you have rear footpegs- not for long. That front mudguard is just begging for a hacksaw. Keep that tank in the reserve levels. Cut that rear subframe down ala Kwakakid, or get rid of it alltogether and ride trials style.

Then theres yourself. Who needs all them heavy leathers, hell ride naked. All that heavy body hair, wheres your razor? Helmet, nah. Cut back on the maccas too. May not be E n t i r e l y legal, perhaps get a friend to write your plate on your back for you.

Might improve the power to weight stakes a little:done:

Antallica
19th July 2003, 21:41
Yeah I was just curious to see if you guys know of a way to get a few more HP (preferably cheaply) but ahh well ;)

Yeah I think a nice 250 is in order. There's only so much 150cc a man can handle.

Cheers guys :)

Marmoot
19th July 2003, 22:50
If you do want to do it, you can port'n'polish the intake to make the engine breathe easier, then install a foam filter in place of the airbox. For the exhaust, take out the baffler inside so it will be free-flowing (or just take the exhaust altogether and fit a certain diameter pipe (has to be precise to retain theback-pressure of the exhaust). And, after spending around $3000 for it, you'll get about probably 6bhp more.

It's common in South East Asian countries to squeeze out every bhp possible out of 150 bikes as they are the most popular there (plus the economic buying power does not suit big bikes. Not to mention the traffic jams in the city riding).

Mostly are 2-strokers though. 135cc 2-stroke that can reach in excess of 235kph is normal there. That beats any of our 250 fours here :)

Kwaka-Kid
19th July 2003, 23:02
real? exactly what 135cc 2stroke is this? :S

Marmoot
19th July 2003, 23:19
Yamaha RX-S (That's the designation for indonesian market. I don't know what the type is if it were in NZ).

Tuned to the bone: polished intake, redone cam, overbored cylinder, tuned exhaust pipe.
Can easily get below 13secs for 402metre run.

For something similar, try to find information about SEARRC (South East Asian Road Race Championship). They run TZRs and NSRs (not RS). Basically high-profile cheap bike race.

Andrew
20th July 2003, 13:09
My old man runs his old Triumph on racing fuel and AV gas. Perhaps that could work?:niceone:

Andrew
20th July 2003, 13:15
My old man reckons that you can get around 105 octane from it.

wkid_one
20th July 2003, 13:19
Hey - that's a nice way of getting posts up - say everything twice

wkid_one
20th July 2003, 13:20
PS - isn't race and av gas the same stuff?

Antallica
20th July 2003, 16:37
Far out that's pretty amazing :gob:

Marmoot
20th July 2003, 20:24
If you up your compression (either by skimming the cylinder head, or doing something else to the engine), and if the temperature is right, then avgas or racing fuel is beneficial to the performance.

If you run on 91 just fine, and you switch to 105, there is a chance that the air/fuel mixture doesn't burn properly (burn too slow) hence reducing your performance.

My friend also had this experience, using racing fuel on a standard R1. The performance doesn't improve at all if not went down. It can also be caused by air being too cold.

If you have detonation/pinging/knocking when you open the throttle, then higher octane will certainly give you benefit.

Antallica
20th July 2003, 20:31
Yeah I only use '96 from BP... these bikes get quite bastardly in the cold/damp weather though :(. Ahh well, I'll get my restricted in this thing then once my new job settles then I'll start the search for a new baby.

Marmoot
20th July 2003, 20:34
If your bike is hard to start in the winter and you are using 96, try switching into 91 (just for the winter).

That happened to my Blade as well.
It does not burn 98 well in the winter, and in the summer 91 gives some knock and ping.
I use 91 for the winter and 98 for the summer now.

Also, checking your sparkplug might also be worthwhile

Antallica
20th July 2003, 20:54
My FXR has no trouble starting (except when I forget to fill up ;) ), starts first time every time. It's a nice bike for a loser like me :D It loves 130km/h, I love the kick it has when it reaches 8.5k rpm.

Just that cold damp weather it gets about 5-12k slower.
I still have the whiny noise too argh, gotta get it serviced.
*curses budget*

What?
21st July 2003, 06:15
Oy, Antallica, if you really want to hot up the 150 AND stand out from the crowd... I remember some years back seeing a Honda (CB125 I think) with a small rootes blower attached. It went pretty quick,too. Until it threw a rod :o  but hey, how many supercharged bikes live in your street??:gob:

Marmoot
21st July 2003, 22:30
Try NOS
Performance Bike Magazine once featured CB90 with NOS. They say it was pretty impressive. Sure as hell funny.

bungbung
29th July 2003, 11:06
A mate and I nos'd a nifty fifty once.
You know the old soda siphon bottles? Duct tape one of these onto the fairing and run a piece of plastic hose from the soda siphon nozzle into a snug hole in the airbox.

Stuff a garden irrigation plug onto the airbox end of the hose and melt a small hole in it with a hot pin.

Load siphon with a whipped cream nitrous cylinder, you're ready. Gun it down the street and when you're ready for the rush squeeze the trigger.

The nitrous gets dumped into the hose, and leaks slowly into the airbox over about 30 seconds.

This worked famously for about 15min until we cracked the aluminium swingarm/engine case thing and the back wheel bent over on a crazy angle jumping nifty off a hump while on full nitrous chat.

:niceone:

Duke of Rogan
29th July 2003, 12:41
LOL!:D
did any one have a video camera there?

Coldkiwi
29th July 2003, 12:54
streuth.. you blokes are making KK sound like a well-balanced and sensible Mr-Fixit!

(I would LOVE to see some pics of a NoS'd CB 90!)

bungbung
29th July 2003, 14:14
No camcorder unfortunately, which is a shame. It would have been nice to capture the maniacal laughter when we initially gassed the idling nifty - instant redline revving! :D

Urban Terrorist
29th July 2003, 14:37
Heres a link for a DIY nitrous system, most parts you could find in a decent engineering supply place.
http://www.dynopower.freeserve.co.uk/nitrous_oxide/
:D
Spotcha, Justin

marty
25th August 2003, 21:12
it's easy to get an extra few hp out of the bike - sell it and buy an aprilia......

Antallica
25th August 2003, 23:25
Originally posted by marty
it's easy to get an extra few hp out of the bike - sell it and buy an aprilia......

Can I have a $10k loan then? :p

Ducati for life!! :rockon:

gpercivl
27th August 2003, 22:10
Yeah, I must admit them Aprilia's are quick, hope to beat one on my 400 on saturday at Manfeild but might be strugglin' :D

The Pastor
6th October 2004, 10:21
Nos is the easiest option for increasing speed but its quite expensive, get it done professionally so it greatly reducies the chance of breaking ur bike, maybe getting a small tubo or supercharger on would work too, I think you can buy small electronic spuper charges that would work well on a bike :) And through away everything u possabley can on the bike. Take the air filter off and just put a 2mm mesh on it to stop stones getting into ur bike. some better tires would be good too :) post sum pics if you do it (and i would do it if i was you :D) Nos is great, I saw a scooter for sale on trade me a while ago with nos.

riffer
6th October 2004, 10:23
Wouldn't you be better off throwing a different motor at the problem rather than stressing the one you have, if you're determined to keep the bike?

Still, I reckon you'd be better off getting a bigger bike...

jrandom
6th October 2004, 10:29
Still, I reckon you'd be better off getting a bigger bike...

Yes. It's just silly to have a wee bike like an FXR and expect it to do impressive things. That's what Proper Bikes are for.

I'm not fussed about it.

DEATH_INC.
6th October 2004, 19:46
Nos is the easiest option for increasing speed but its quite expensive, get it done professionally so it greatly reducies the chance of breaking ur bike, maybe getting a small tubo or supercharger on would work too, I think you can buy small electronic spuper charges that would work well on a bike :) And through away everything u possabley can on the bike. Take the air filter off and just put a 2mm mesh on it to stop stones getting into ur bike. some better tires would be good too :) post sum pics if you do it (and i would do it if i was you :D) Nos is great, I saw a scooter for sale on trade me a while ago with nos.
Those electric superchargers are a joke.It doesn't take a genius to work out that to make a decent amount of boost they'd have to have an engine bigger than the FXR's.....
Go for the nos,you can put it on the next bike too....

The Pastor
6th October 2004, 19:50
Those electric superchargers are a joke.

Nah there good. there are some ones out there that are rubbish (saw them on trade me) but the real ones are good. Rembering its a 150cc engine.... so you cant cram much air into it.....

DEATH_INC.
6th October 2004, 20:22
Work it out.
With a supercharger you use about half the power you make to drive it.If you gain 4hp,you loose approx 2 to do this.Think about how big a 2 horse electric engine is and how long the fxr battery would drive it for......even at 80% efficiency (like a turbo or a screw supercharger) you'd still need just under 1 hp to make 3,still a bloody big electric engine for a fxr battery.....you loose all you gain and some in increased voltage drain.
There is no such thing as free hp....

JohnBoy
6th October 2004, 21:02
no replacement for displacement brother!
bore it out, forged piston, rods, bottom end and maybe a small helping of NOS.
but i must admit, going down this path is a hard choice. at the end of the day its only ever going to be a FXR!
the best way i have found to increase my HP is to just buy a bigger bike.
hence why i sold my last bike (duc600ss) for the ZX7R (65 -> 110 HP)