PDA

View Full Version : Honda BROS 400 ?

Zapf
29th September 2004, 22:47
Does anyone know anything or had one of these? Ideas on how good is the handling / power ?

Also, if you know anything about their engine. Do you know if they can upgraded / handle more power easily?

http://202.21.128.4/photoserver/14/5610914_full.jpg

Thanks

Posh Tourer :P
29th September 2004, 23:11
My dad raved about the Bros 650. So the frame/suspension can certainly handle more power. Why not just buy a 650 tho?

Zapf
29th September 2004, 23:43
Just found the 400 on Trademe. I'll be keen on a 600. Let me know if you see one :) I heard the 600's are shaft drive as well... any idea good or bad?

wari
29th September 2004, 23:59
I LIke the lookof thison TM ... VX800

http://202.21.128.4/photoserver/19/5453419_full.jpg

30th September 2004, 07:25
Just found the 400 on Trademe. I'll be keen on a 600. Let me know if you see one :) I heard the 600's are shaft drive as well... any idea good or bad?

Less maintenance, dont have to clean them etc....

aff-man
30th September 2004, 09:26
http://www.bikepoint.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=76049&TabID=3553&Alias=bikepointnz

http://www.bikepoint.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=71434&TabID=3553&Alias=bikepointnz

http://www.bikepoint.co.nz/DesktopDefault.aspx?UsedBikeID=382394&TabID=3553&Alias=bikepointnz

older bikes but cheaper than those sv's you were talking about.

Sensei
30th September 2004, 09:29
Yea do the 650 or you may find everything is passing you on the open road > Tryed a hotted up 650 went bloody well & handled great even stopped on demand .Sound good to SENSEI

vifferman
30th September 2004, 09:39
I test-rode a 400, (had an XBR500RS Mutant at the time) and thought it was really gutless. The bigger one was (and still is) very popular in the US, and was often raced. Since the SV650 came out, it's lost a bit of ground, as it has less power and more weight than the Suzuki.

Firefight
30th September 2004, 10:02
Does anyone know anything or had one of these? Ideas on how good is the handling / power ?

Also, if you know anything about their engine. Do you know if they can upgraded / handle more power easily?

http://202.21.128.4/photoserver/14/5610914_full.jpg

Thanks

Don,t know shit about the bike, :Offtopic: but if you get one, I got a set of brake disk pads for the 400 or the 650, you can have them, have tried to give them away last year, but no takers, let me know.

F/F :thud:

Pwalo
30th September 2004, 12:58
I had a test ride on one for sale down in Wellington. It felt a bit gutless, and that was even compared with the FT400 (whoa) that I had at the time. A friend has got a 650 Bros and that seems to be a bit better all round - bloody heavy though.

They are very nicely put together, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to get parts for them now as they are getting on a bit. So be prepared to do a bit of work if something fails (alternator etc). That's one of the reasons that I was happy to get a bike that has been in production for as long as the GS.

Ride it and see if you like it. Then ride some other bikes to get a comparison. At the end of the day if you really like the bike who cares. :niceone:

Zapf
30th September 2004, 13:55
Thanks for the info guys. :)

Pitty they are all down in Wellington / SI. I'll need to find out how to get the BROS's power up and handling good :) but if they are heavy then I might not like them.

Man I wish Honda has some nice mid size VTwins.... I like honda build quality :) But I don't want a big 1L size bike as well....

Anyone know if I can bore out my VTR250 to like 5 / 6 hundred cc?

Motu
30th September 2004, 14:09
Try a Transalp,they are a sweet bike,have been made for a long time and have strong support groups on the internet - try one before you pass judgment.

30th September 2004, 14:22
Anyone know if I can bore out my VTR250 to like 5 / 6 hundred cc?

If you bored it out that buch it'd be infinte cc's - open to the elements :P

aff-man
30th September 2004, 15:07
what about a viffer750 or something. They have good pull.

aff-man
30th September 2004, 15:15
or one of these. it's of newer vintage than most out there. Come on join the four-hundy-undy club aye :headbang:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Road-bikes/Sports-tourer/auction-16488508.htm

Joni
30th September 2004, 15:27
or one of these. it's of newer vintage than most out there. Come on join the four-hundy-undy club aye :headbang:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Road-bikes/Sports-tourer/auction-16488508.htm

He-he-he-hello!!!!
Now you've got me very interested.... :niceone:

Blakamin
30th September 2004, 15:47
Yeah, the four-hundy-undy club :niceone:

dhunt
30th September 2004, 15:57
They go pretty good. One of my mates has one. He's also on this site (can't remember his username - something bros). He's really likes it, only problem he complains of is getting sore wrists carrying pillions, this also causes the back end to scrape a bit. Could just be his suspension setup. But definitely a nice bike. His has remote start as well which is really cool.

David

Nutter34
30th September 2004, 16:00
Here's a site to see what people do with the Bros.
http://www.hawkland.de/beatty/HawkGT.html

I had a 650. It handled well and was a good project bike. If you don't mind an unfaired bike, it's good.
Like others have stated, it has fallen behind since the SV650 was introduced but then you're also paying quite a bit less.
I changed the pipe by building a new 2-1 manifold and mounted the exhaust can under the bike, Beull style.
I also made the bottom frame rail 12mm longer to raise the tail.
I lowered the headlight and clocks about an inch, got lowered clip-ons etc to try balancing the bike a bit. I thought the rear was too low.
I also did a through the swingarm rear brake line mod, using braided lines.

badlieutenant
30th September 2004, 18:03
vfr's (I was bound to say something) are a nice mix engine wise. Ride it like a mellow v-twin or crank the revs up and they still cam out. You dont want to work on the engine but they do last a long time if looked after. Mines a bit long in the tooth age wise (looks it a bit too) but after 100,000kms it still doesnt use any oil. And It has been thrashed a bit (not by me tho :cool2: )

Kwaka-Kid
30th September 2004, 18:31
hey dude - i researched the bros a bit and they seem to be a bit on hte heavy side for a 400 as compared to the viffer400 and certainly underpowerd. Why not a viffer 400 with a nice 4into2 pipe system? they wind up really really nice sounding and can still rev and nip many old bigger bikes thru the cruvey wurveys.

Zapf
30th September 2004, 19:48
1st of all I haven't really ridden a sports type bike, I have been on a 125cc scooter -> GN125 -> and my VTR250.

As you can tell they are all rather situp oin the scooter and GN, with the VTR a bit in between. I "think" I like to have a relaxed riding position, but I also like my speed and corners. Hence thats why I think I am looking at those naked and SV's. I "think" I don't want a crouch rocket, but I am happy to keep my mind open.

I am equally confused myself, so I think I should go and test ride everything out there. BUT, I need my full license which I'll have by December without too much trouble. ~ I'll go and keep on dreaming :) .... not that I am not happy with my VTR, but there are just a few things that can be made nicer.... E.g more power, a little screen to deflect some wind....

ermmm.

Anyone know what can be done to upgrade the VTR engine? and if its worth it?

A SV650S will cost 12k. $$$$$ How about a CB600 Hornet? Anyone tried / had them? Are they a bit thirsty? how many k's to the tank? My only issues is that it uses 180 rear tires and I heard they cost a bit.

Kwaka-Kid
30th September 2004, 20:17
certainly not worth it mate, and if u do try squeeze more ponys out youll bend the crank.
cam chains are also a prob with teh old VTRs.

well at some stage if i meet you and ever go on a ride again myself ill let you try the VFR400 for size and everything.

Zapf
30th September 2004, 20:40
certainly not worth it mate, and if u do try squeeze more ponys out youll bend the crank.
cam chains are also a prob with teh old VTRs.

well at some stage if i meet you and ever go on a ride again myself ill let you try the VFR400 for size and everything.

thanks for the offer KK. I'll be careful :)

Mr Skid
30th September 2004, 21:15
:Offtopic:

KK: He doesn't like you.

Zapf: I'm sorry.

KK: I don't like you either. You just watch yourself. We're wanted men. I have the death sentence on twelve systems.

I'll be careful :)

KK: You'll be dead!

Sorry, just felt the need to throw a star wars quote into the mix.
As you were.

Zapf
30th September 2004, 21:18
:Offtopic:
yea men.... watch out for the BROS aya.

gav
30th September 2004, 21:35
Guess it depends how much you wanna spend, a Bros 400 would be good cheap option, advantages are no bodywork, comfortable riding position, cheap initial purchase, more power than the VTR, vee twin, still looks pretty good, its a Honda!
Disadvantages, a bit heavy, older model, not as fast as a four cylinder 400 (eg VFR, CBR, ZXR). You should still get OK money for your VTR, dont bother trying to hot it up, very little gain for a heck of a lot of money.
Something else you may like is this
Honda CB400F2R (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Road-bikes/Sports-tourer/auction-15939618.htm)
Its a four cylinder, will have a bit more power than a Bros (which is a twin cylinder) and is a little bit more modern (think of it as a 400cc Hornet)

dangerous
30th September 2004, 21:38
vfr's (I was bound to say something) are a nice mix engine wise. Ride it like a mellow v-twin or crank the revs up and they still cam out. You dont want to work on the engine but they do last a long time if looked after. Mines a bit long in the tooth age wise (looks it a bit too) but after 100,000kms it still doesnt use any oil. And It has been thrashed a bit (not by me tho :cool2: )
I've had a 97 and a 86 VFR the 86 had 140,000km on it and as I brought it for the X I wanted to be sure that it was not going to course troubles so I went over it very cearfully including cam covers of to do the tappits.... at 140k the hardening on the cams dident even have the slightest mark on it anywere.

dangerous
30th September 2004, 21:50
I changed the pipe by building a new 2-1 manifold and mounted the exhaust can under the bike, Beull style.
I also made the bottom frame rail 12mm longer to raise the tail.
I lowered the headlight and clocks about an inch, got lowered clip-ons etc to try balancing the bike a bit
Bloody tidy job that...... handy being a aircraft engineer huh, was that in SA or here?

Zapf
30th September 2004, 22:32
Guess it depends how much you wanna spend, a Bros 400 would be good cheap option, advantages are no bodywork, comfortable riding position, cheap initial purchase, more power than the VTR, vee twin, still looks pretty good, its a Honda!
Disadvantages, a bit heavy, older model, not as fast as a four cylinder 400 (eg VFR, CBR, ZXR). You should still get OK money for your VTR, dont bother trying to hot it up, very little gain for a heck of a lot of money.
Something else you may like is this
Honda CB400F2R (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Road-bikes/Sports-tourer/auction-15939618.htm)
Its a four cylinder, will have a bit more power than a Bros (which is a twin cylinder) and is a little bit more modern (think of it as a 400cc Hornet)

Yea good point about the CB400's. Only reason I am slightly shy of them is their review here Link (http://www.hornet-250.8k.com/Road-Test-Rep/RTRP-Grey-Jap.htm) which compairs a 250 Hornet / CB400 / RVF400 / Yamaha XVS400 Dragstar with each other. And they don't rate the CB400 that much... but! I'll take one out for ride :) and I might end up being happy as larry.

dhunt
30th September 2004, 22:45
Yea good point about the CB400's. Only reason I am slightly shy of them is their review here Link (http://www.hornet-250.8k.com/Road-Test-Rep/RTRP-Grey-Jap.htm) which compairs a 250 Hornet / CB400 / RVF400 / Yamaha XVS400 Dragstar with each other. And they don't rate the CB400 that much... but! I'll take one out for ride :) and I might end up being happy as larry.
I did 300km's+ on one in Thailand was quite pleased with it. Nice smooth power, handled alright in the windy's, only problem I had with it was I had to keep reving it at the lights to make sure the engine was ticking over as it was sooo quiet.

Zapf
30th September 2004, 23:00
I did 300km's+ on one in Thailand was quite pleased with it. Nice smooth power, handled alright in the windy's, only problem I had with it was I had to keep reving it at the lights to make sure the engine was ticking over as it was sooo quiet.

Ermm that sounds good :) did u remember what year make was the bike? anything else like top speed .... etc?

thanks

Zapf
30th September 2004, 23:16
Anyone know how much power and torque does CBR400's and VFR400's make?

Thanks.

gav
30th September 2004, 23:22
Gotta say that comparo is a bit bizarre, you probably couldnt get 4 more diverse bikes, maybe that was the reason :confused2 ? but an RVF400 and a Dragster 400, the test does say that the CB400 was second hand and was in need of a service, two of the bikes were brand new! Overall they rated it as a good allrounder, but maybe a bit boring, err hullo guys thats why Honda have bikes like the RVF400 if you want something more exciting!

Zapf
30th September 2004, 23:26
ah ha... ic. might be a bit too exciting for me :P

aff-man
1st October 2004, 02:38
Anyone know how much power and torque does CBR400's and VFR400's make?

Thanks.

i know zxr400 make 65 at crank i think the viffer's are like 59 or summing depending on year etc. Not to sure about cbr's but they should be about the same as the zxr.

p.s. i know of a zxr400 for sale in bloody good nick with 16000 genuine km for about 5k. (not a private sale as well). Inside scoop so you gotta be quick.

Kwaka-Kid
1st October 2004, 06:05
NC30 stock claim 59PS, and RVF/NC35 claim 53PS

CBRS are somewhere inbetween those 2, i think a litle less then the VFR400?

phil_elvey
1st October 2004, 09:27
Mate I have ridden a bros 400. They are not a bad bike. If your happy with the handling of your vtr you'll be sweet on the bros. Don't expect them to handle anywhere as well as one of the 400 faired bikes tho. Neither is power that great, but its not bad.

As far as wanting a screen, I have found that actually no screen is better than a low screen, such as those on most sports bikes. This is because with a low screen, when your riding in the usual postion, the wind ends up being directed straight at your helmet. Just my thoughts anyway.

dhunt
1st October 2004, 14:51
Ermm that sounds good :) did u remember what year make was the bike? anything else like top speed .... etc?
thanks
Nah don't remeber sorry.

DEATH_INC.
2nd October 2004, 08:41
Get yerself a vtr thou engine and bring her over here,I'll make it fit :crazy:
Have you thought about a 400 bandit or sim?(is that what the cb400 is?)
they go orright.
Any of the sport 400's (vfr,cbr,zxr,fzr,gsxr(ever notice they all have 'r' on the end)) will be quick enough,I can keep the lads in sight on Draco's cbr,and look at two smoker on the 150(maybe not).
I think you'll find the bros 400 a bit lacking,especially if you go for a ride on a 400/4.

2_SL0
3rd October 2004, 18:00
How much more go does a 400 have over a 250, and how lmuch less than a 600 ?? Just thinking aloud.

aff-man
3rd October 2004, 22:54
How much more go does a 400 have over a 250, and how lmuch less than a 600 ?? Just thinking aloud.

lots and lots. 89 zxr250 -> 90 zxr400 (unrestricted) and then couple weeks later hopped on an 03 gsxr600 for a little bit , shat myself :baby: went back to the 400 and am learning to push it's balls off before i go bigger aye :shifty:

Kwaka-Kid
4th October 2004, 04:45
ditto.....