PDA

View Full Version : now I'm officially a biker.... *laugh*

thehollowmen
29th September 2004, 23:06
Now I'm officially a hardcore biker (words of my wife)... well... I don't think so... especially not on a GN250... but I'm christened as a biker at least.
I was gonna introduce myself after a 250cc trip to Christchurch from Dunedin this weekend, but I thought my first ticket will christen my introduction here...

Just got a $400 license infringement... outside my hours by half an hour because of an urgent specimen arriving late at work... I couldn't leave the bike there and the spec really needed to be done

gah... told my wife on the phone I'd probably get pinged on the way home, and I was pinged just parking my bike too... guess that was tempting fate... :Oops:

I was told by the friendly cop I should be able to contest it... especially if I can get proof the courier was late... What do you guys think? Any words I should try to use / avoid? I should be able to get a letter from my boss about it.

I'd appreciate any help... also any advice for the trip this weekend, about runing a GN250 for long periods at 100 km/h

Zapf
29th September 2004, 23:50
yea just write in, and get your co workers to support your statement. and hope they have a heart.

;) good luck

scumdog
30th September 2004, 00:09
Now I'm officially a hardcore biker (words of my wife)... well... I don't think so... especially not on a GN250... but I'm christened as a biker at least.
I was gonna introduce myself after a 250cc trip to Christchurch from Dunedin this weekend, but I thought my first ticket will christen my introduction here...

Just got a $400 license infringement... outside my hours by half an hour because of an urgent specimen arriving late at work... I couldn't leave the bike there and the spec really needed to be done

gah... told my wife on the phone I'd probably get pinged on the way home, and I was pinged just parking my bike too... guess that was tempting fate... :Oops:

I was told by the friendly cop I should be able to contest it... especially if I can get proof the courier was late... What do you guys think? Any words I should try to use / avoid? I should be able to get a letter from my boss about it.

Write in, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain and get the boss to add to it. Good luck and let us know how you get on

p.s. If it had been me you wouldn't have got a ticket but might have been even later by the time I finished shooting the breeze with you :spudwave:

Artifice
30th September 2004, 00:13
yeah I think you stand a good chance. especially as you can get an exception to the hours of darkness rules for commuting purposes anyways.

Ms Piggy
30th September 2004, 07:21
Congrats on getting yourself 2 wheels, bummer about the ticket though. Go for it though - what have you got to lose. :niceone:

toads
30th September 2004, 08:07

I'd appreciate any help... also any advice for the trip this weekend, about runing a GN250 for long periods at 100 km/h

you should get off ok as the offence was work related, just get some proof of this and suporting statements from your boss and the couriors too!

tuscan
30th September 2004, 09:15
A bit of leeway please, officer!... :(

As far as them GN250s go, I'm sure LeeRusty rode the length of NZ (or similar) on one and reckoned it was all good. :scooter:

Blakamin
30th September 2004, 09:38

Sounds like he was just trying to fill his quota then??? :shit:

Holy Roller
30th September 2004, 12:05
Now I'm officially a hardcore biker (words of my wife)... well... I don't think so... especially not on a GN250...

Everyone had to start somewhere sometime. Nothing wrong with a GN. Proved so popular that they have brought them out again. :banana:

orbs
30th September 2004, 13:06
I just got my bike leaners, and so have been looking round at all sorts of bikes. I was talking to the sales man at the suzuki shop in chch about the gn 250's, he reconed they'll cope with the occasional long trip, and sugested that when taking piss stops just to stop for a bit longer to give the engine a chance to cool down a little. I talked to another person a few weeks ago who was riding a GN 250 and he said that he's taken it from chch to the west coast and back several times with no problems.

Dodgyiti
30th September 2004, 13:32
What ever the ticket cost, on a GN250 you are gonna save that on petrol dude, good luck for the future

thehollowmen
30th September 2004, 13:37
Everyone had to start somewhere sometime. Nothing wrong with a GN. Proved so popular that they have brought them out again. :banana:

I'd say... there are 5 of them that regularly park outside the otago medschool.... there is also one GSRX and a hornet and the rest are scooters... it seems to be what toyota did to promote their brand name ... didn't they make the corolla super affordable in the 80s or something?

scumdog
30th September 2004, 13:45
I was talking to the sales man at the suzuki shop in chch about the gn 250's, he reconed they'll cope with the occasional long trip, and sugested that when taking piss stops just to stop for a bit longer to give the engine a chance to cool down a little..

Hmmm, I'm not sure on the logic of taking a longer piss stop "to give the engine a chance to cool down", unless you had just gone up a long steep hill before you stopped.

When you take off again the engine will resume the same temperature within 5 minutes or so. (my 2c worth)

jrandom
30th September 2004, 13:47
Nothing wrong with a GN250, I'd 'ave one. I don't see why it should overheat. Never heard of them having problems with that. They're good bikes.

If you do get one, just keep an eye on the oil level and ride the snot out of it. :niceone:

Storm
30th September 2004, 14:11
Contest the ticket for all you are worth man !!
On the GN, I rode mine from Hastings to Taranaki in one day, complete with hills and all and didnt have any problems whatsoever. Pretty sure it goes for all GN's , but my one was definitly as solid as a brick s%^house ! Nice riding position as well :banana: :rockon:

Slingshot
30th September 2004, 14:24
Do cops have any level of discretion these days, to me that sounds pretty hard line. It's stories like this that really hurt the reputation of our police force. If you don't have any luck when you write in you should call your local MP. If that doesn't work start sending letters to the minister of police, send one a week until you get some action. Hell why not try fair go!!
Power to the people.

scroter
30th September 2004, 14:24

half an hour outside your hours with a genuine reason dosent sound like a very friendly officer to me, im a truck driver and even the cops that deal with us generally will let us get away with half an hour over as long as we arnt doin it all the time.
many happy journeys on your gn ahead.

thehollowmen
30th September 2004, 14:59
Oh I've had the GN for 7 months now... got my restricted license a few weeks ago...

The cop was friendly: he went through all the procedures I'd need to go through to get off it, and talked a little while about how I should try and get an extension for times like this. He said police had no leeway in letting people off license infringements like that... and I understand that completely, some rules are set in concrete and it would look really dodgey on his part if he ran a check on a 250 cc bike after hours and came up with a restricted owner, with the rider acting suspicious and then he *didn't* issue the ticket.

I understand his side completely.. I also had no proof on me that I was working except for my ID tag. I just hope they judge that working late is an acceptable breach when I send up a letter.

Courier company is sending me records and my boss has promised a letter too. If they don't like it, well I'll pay it. I will definitally be applying for an extension after this... funny thing is though I had the exemption forms in my pocket because I was going to apply for a few extra hours in case of emergancies, and to get my wife as pillion. She wants to ride too.

Oh, and I am glad I got pulled over by a cop and didn't get it as an anonomous ticket in the mail (like those automated cameras do). His advice on getting exemptions and extensions, and what not to say on the forms when applying is appreciated more than I can express in words here.

Thanks for the support and advice guys and gals, it has been much appreciated! I'll catch you all after the weekend, hopefully with a story or two... :ride:

Holy Roller
30th September 2004, 16:14
I will definitally be applying for an extension after this... funny thing is though I had the exemption forms in my pocket because I was going to apply for a few extra hours in case of emergancies, and to get my wife as pillion. She wants to ride too.

No gaurantee of getting the exemption, but they sure take your money. My son applied for an exemption as I shift work and couldn't be with him to take passengers (read sister) to ATC. Apparently extra activities like ATC dont count if there is no licienced driver avaliable. Could have told us before we forked over the money :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Well he has his full now and I hardley see the car anymore. Thats how it goes I guess.

inlinefour
15th November 2004, 12:42

I'd contest it :soon:

Sniper
15th November 2004, 13:53
What do you guys think? Any words I should try to use / avoid? I should be able to get a letter from my boss about it.

Umm, some I wouldnt recommend are, F**K you, piss off and Suck D**K you dirty varmint kissing, animal raping, grandad touching vile human being? Those are just suggestions.

About the GN, dont worry, that will run fine as long as you have fuel in it!! Have fun dude, enjoy the trip and tell us how it went :done:

magnum
19th November 2004, 22:11
hello and welcome in,bad luck about the ticket. :)