PDA

View Full Version : Top of the South Island - RECOMMENDATIONS

Alpha Solo
6th August 2007, 18:06
A friend of mine is coming over and we plan to ride from Christchurch over Arthurs Pass to the West Coast then up to Marlborough Sounds and then back to Christchurch via Blenhiem and Kiakora.

Anyone recommend any good roads and stuff to see along the way?

Many thanks,

P.

James Deuce
6th August 2007, 18:08
All of them. Except SH1.

Coldrider
6th August 2007, 22:55
You haven't got that many roads to choose from, Queen Charlotte Drive from Havelock to Picton is well worth it.
Greymouth up the coast through Charleston (I think) past the Punakaiki Rocks, then back onto the Buller Gorge avoids the straights north of Greymouth, and the Reefton Highway patrol, they love bikes, (Murchison is another hotspot there).
Inland Kaikoura route may be worth a look, but I haven't covered that road.
Cheers & have a good ride.

Alpha Solo
7th August 2007, 05:11
You haven't got that many roads to choose from, Queen Charlotte Drive from Havelock to Picton is well worth it.
Greymouth up the coast through Charleston (I think) past the c, then back onto the Buller Gorge avoids the straights north of Greymouth, and the Reefton Highway patrol, they love bikes, (Murchison is another hotspot there).
Inland Kaikoura route may be worth a look, but I haven't covered that road.
Cheers & have a good ride.

Thanks for the replies - especially about the Patrol hot spots!
I've lived here for 5 years and only seem to get tickets between Greymouth and Nelson....

Anything we should stop and check out besides the brilliant views and the rocks?

James Deuce
7th August 2007, 07:06
Go over the Takaka Hill and go to Pupu Springs.

Grub
7th August 2007, 08:11
If we knew what bike you ride it would help recommending road/off road routes too..

You should make a point of doing St Arnaud from Buller, the Nelson Lakes area is stunning. From there, take the route to Nelson via Tophouse and the Golden Downs road through the forest rather than down the state h'way {barf}. Don't go directly to Picton from St Arnaud (129km), the Wairau Valley is Boring #1 and besides, the ride St Arnaud-Nelson-Picton (199km) is pretty cool and includes the ride around Queen Charlotte drive that Coldrider is talking about.

If you've got time and don't mind a scenic 20km out-and-back, take the time to go to Lake Rotoroa, turn off SH6 (Buller Gorge) at Gowanbridge. Lake Rotoroa is the largest in the Nelson Lakes.

Coldrider
7th August 2007, 08:26
If you stop at Lake Rotoiti lakeside (at St Arnard), don,t get eaten by the sandflies, they are legendary.

Chickenlegs
7th August 2007, 17:47
Queen Charlotte is no longer as good as it was. The speed limit has also been reduced all the way. Still a nice road if you feel like a cruise...

I'll 2nd Jim, Takaka Hill may be good, depending on time of year.

If coming from Murch, turn off at Kohatu and do Motueka Valley Highway to Mot, then proceed to Nelson...

MyGSXF
7th August 2007, 18:04
When are you planning on doing said trip???????? :wait:

The Whangamoas (Nelson to Blenheim), the Hope Saddle (Murch to Nelson) & The Takaka Hill still all have some grit around at the moment.. also have lots of shaded spots & can be rather slippery! The Queen Charlotte Drive (Havelock to Picton) is rough as guts, lots of loose chip & slumps in the road, & the speed limit lowered. :angry:

Can all be done of course, but just take care on the hills & corners!! :yes:

If you are talking about going soon, I would recommend going around Nelson Lakes & through Golden Downs forestry! :niceone: Lovely scenery!! & more open areas away from ice & shading. :innocent:

The Buller (Westport to Murch) is devine, but also slippery at this time of year!! Lots of moss on the roads! :crazy:

I'm in Nelson.. so give me a shout & I might be able to meet ya's & join ya for a blat!!! :Punk:

Jen :rockon:

F5 Dave
7th August 2007, 18:10
Be doing a bunch of this in a week, been looking forward to the Takaka hill for years on a bike, but will be 2 up with gear, pity about the grit but will return with sportsbike in summer for sure.

The sandflys aren't so bad this time of year, have some friends who live near that lake, it is beautiful just for a look.

Alpha Solo
7th August 2007, 20:37
Thanks all for the replies!

I used to live in Motueka for a while and can totally recommend going over Takaka Hill, just watch out for grit and silt washed off the rocks and backpackers who have never driven round a 180 tight bend before...:shit:

Grub - we will both be on BMW f650 GS 's so any recommendations would be great.

We both used to track race against each other about 7 years ago so it should be fun... :innocent:

Zukin
7th August 2007, 20:55
Hi there

How serious are you about going off the tar seal?

You should call into Waipuna Caves (near Greymouth) , I would also suggest Maruia Saddle road (back way to Murchison) Braeburn track to Lake Rotoroa, either Porika Track or the main out of Lake Rotoroa, then either up to Nelson and to Picton, or I would do Rainbow to Hanmer and then back through Molesworth to Blenheim and then down the coast road to Christchurch?

When are you doing this trip?

Cheers Scott

Alpha Solo
8th August 2007, 08:02
Im keen to learn about these off road routes - apparently there is a guide book but I dont know the name of it, I tried in Boarders yesterday but no luck, anyone know the name of it?

Ive had the GS off road a few times and as long as you gun it then there is no problems, pulling it out of bogs might be a different matter though so will have to try and see how the terrain is.

Alpha Solo
8th August 2007, 18:45
Jen - Thanks for the road conditions warning, it is going to be mid to late afternoon by the time we get there so will have to hook up for a blat another time.

F5 Dave - I will mail you a report when I return.

Cant wait for this trip - especially as the boss suggested to me to take a pay cut today... while he drives a new falcon

:finger:

Like i'm going to say yes!

Anyway thanks again for all the help so far - please feel free to update this as I check it often.

:ride::ride::ride::ride:

Zukin
8th August 2007, 18:59
Im keen to learn about these off road routes -

Ive had the GS off road a few times and as long as you gun it then there is no problems, pulling it out of bogs might be a different matter though so will have to try and see how the terrain is.

The route I proposed is good gravel back country roads, nothing serious there :yes:, Waipuna Caves can be a little challenging as there are some small creek crossings.
This route will get you off the main road and into great country. you will ride through beech forests and high country passes, I have done this route many times and never get sick of it

Do you have a GPS? I can send you waypoints so you can make up the route

Cheers Scott

Alpha Solo
8th August 2007, 19:30
Hi Scott, thanks again!

I just got a GPS today so please mail me whatever... I've got to work out how to use the thing tonight..

P.

Zukin
8th August 2007, 20:01
What sort of GPS did you get?
And do you have any mapping software for your PC?

Cheers Scott

Alpha Solo
8th August 2007, 22:00
Ive just got a nokia gps phone, and it looks like the only maps available are for Aussie.... Grrrr

But if you have them handy then maybe I might be able to sort something out.

Cheers again.

The Big J
9th August 2007, 04:13
Stop in at the Mussell Inn north of Takaka for a refreshing beer. You may well not want to leave.

Alpha Solo
9th August 2007, 11:02
Looks like I will be making a return journey in a couple of weeks time as there is so many good routes up there, I forgot about the Mussel Inn - fantastic home brewed beers, great food too!

Cheers again,

P.

MyGSXF
9th August 2007, 11:10
If you do get over the Takaka Hill.. the road between Takaka & Collingwood & then out to Farewell Spit.. is simply DEVINE!!! :drool::drool: There's a nice cafe on the hill overlooking the Spit, with big binoculars to scope the bay with.. a lovely place to spent some time relaxing!!! :Punk:

puddytat
10th August 2007, 01:18
Hi there

How serious are you about going off the tar seal?

You should call into Waipuna Caves (near Greymouth) , I would also suggest Maruia Saddle road (back way to Murchison) Braeburn track to Lake Rotoroa, either Porika Track or the main out of Lake Rotoroa, then either up to Nelson and to Picton, or I would do Rainbow to Hanmer and then back through Molesworth to Blenheim and then down the coast road to Christchurch?

When are you doing this trip?

Cheers Scott

I agree with these routes (i live nearby) especially the Maruia saddle bit , also just North of Murchison take the Mangles valley rd up to & over the Braeburn to Rotoroa & from there you can take the Porika track (which is steep & pretty rough in places) thru to the St Arnaud road, or head down the Gowan valley from Rotoroa back to the main drag.Have a good one!

cooneyr
10th August 2007, 08:25
Im keen to learn about these off road routes - apparently there is a guide book but I dont know the name of it, I tried in Boarders yesterday but no luck, anyone know the name of it?

The books you want are shown in this link (http://www.overland.co.nz/4wdsouthisland.htm). There is a revised volume 1 out so better with that one. Whitcoulls has them in stock normally.

If you are going to go up to Westport and up the buller then it is a bit of a back track to go over Maruia Saddle. The Breaburn track is well worth it and is an easy ride. The Porika track is quite steep and rocky but is perfectly ridable. The Rainbow has two locked gates and would be very interesting to try and do at this time of year due to snow - I wouldnt recomend it and anyway you would cut a huge amount of the north off. You will not be allowed through the Molesworth at the moment.

Another track worth a look is Taylors Pass between Blenhiem and the Awatere Valley. Also I would recomend the inland scenic road between Kaikoura and Culverden if you like wiggles. Only watch out for snow, ice and grit all of which may be present on any given day.

Mangatapu between Nelson and Plerous is a cool track but you miss the Wangamoas doing this. Depends on if you want dirt or seal

We attempted the 1000kms in 24 hours with as much dirt as possible (Dusty Butt 1000) and I put some maps up. The Mangatapu, Maruia Saddle, Breaburn, Porika and Taylors Pass are all shown in maps in posts 58, 59 and 60 of this thread (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=42638&highlight=dust+butt&page=4).
The large scale maps are here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53727&d=1171482770) and here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=53730&d=1171482770)

If you need any further help on the dirt tracks/roads PM me.

Cheers R

pritch
10th August 2007, 10:39
The New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas is brilliant. It shows both the good bike roads and the good "adventure roads". Off-road is something else.

It should be available at any good book shop (shame about Borders?) or from this link. It's the middle book.

http://www.mcycle.co.nz/books.htm

mbazza
11th August 2007, 19:21
I'd suggest the gravel 60km from Rarangi (spot the whales from atop the cliffs) to Waikawa via Port Underwood. Best bit of gravel around. Avoid in the summer due to heavy road use.
Best cafe on water front in Waikawa.
Have a good run. Cheers:scooter:

NordieBoy
11th August 2007, 20:06
The Queen Charlotte Drive (Havelock to Picton) is rough as guts, lots of loose chip & slumps in the road

You say this like it's a bad thing?

:dodge:

MyGSXF
11th August 2007, 20:18
You say this like it's a bad thing?

:dodge:

lols.. might be a tad for some poor unsuspecting sod who isn't familiar with the road.. :eek: however I went through there.. WITH my 9yr old son on the back.. & a mate on his vfr800 couldn't keep up with me... :shutup:

:rockon:

Coldrider
11th August 2007, 20:26
I love Queen Charlotte Drive too, I have swooped round there in the middle of the night many a time, teaches ya to ride properly, and a beer well earned at the "Trout'.
PS I can't see my inlaws house in the photo from mbazza, not enough boats, too many houses for Waikawa Bay Marina.

Transalper
11th August 2007, 21:47
Im keen to learn about these off road routes....

Ive had the GS off road a few times...All this yet the Christchurch Adventures who ride the roads you want to see haven't met you yet?

mbazza
11th August 2007, 21:56
I love Queen Charlotte Drive too, I have swooped round there in the middle of the night many a time, teaches ya to ride properly, and a beer well earned at the "Trout'.
PS I can't see my inlaws house in the photo from mbazza, not enough boats, too many houses for Waikawa Bay Marina.
Yeah, your right Dn harbour, pick of Ocean Bay is on other hard drive! You got me!

Coldrider
11th August 2007, 22:04
Anyway mbazza, you live in the best riding area of the country, Central Otago & West Coast ye..ha...

Alpha Solo
15th August 2007, 10:28
Thanks again for all the input everyone!

We rode round in 3 days and had 120km side winds and sleet over Arthurs Pass, dense fog all the way up the west coast, and blazing sunshine all the way back down the east coast. Really trying conditions but we both loved every minute of it!!

I'm gonna head back up there in a couple of weeks, maybe hook up with some of you along the way?

:first: