PDA

View Full Version : School cops have traffic quotas!

Albino
8th August 2007, 08:50
Been a while since a thread about the cops, speeding and quotas :lol:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4156513a10.html

My questions:

Do you think that these guys will target dangerous driving, or take the easy radar out the window approach?
Is there also a quota for these police officers to catch burglars?

"You do need to write tickets!," Robinson said in the email.

"You are in a marked police car, wearing a police uniform ... Would you let a thief run away? An assault happen and not assist? A person report abuse and not take action? I mean we educate about that as well as still enforce it."

marioc
8th August 2007, 08:53
Highly unlikely seeing as they dont make any money out of catching burglars

peasea
8th August 2007, 18:40

What's the word????
Bingo?

McJim
8th August 2007, 19:21
But...but...what if there aren't enough offences? Oh that's right it's traffic so they don't NEED to commit an offence the officer just makes one up and there's no comeback.

Cool.:Punk:

Usarka
8th August 2007, 20:17
I bet they don't have a quota for catching burglars or other types. which makes it very hard to deny that its revenue now dunnit mister :sherlock:

peasea
8th August 2007, 20:31
I bet they don't have a quota for catching burglars or other types. which makes it very hard to deny that its revenue now dunnit mister :sherlock:

Ahh, excellent idea. (Rubs hands like Mister Burns...)

We know there's plenty of burglars out there, child abusers and P bakers, so why not give the cops a bonus for catching 'real' crims?

I'll tell you why.

Coz the minute they do that the cops will stuff their pockets full of P, stash it in your car when they stop you for speeding (bad pun I know), bash your kid on the nose (as well as your missus) claim they've found a P-dealing-child/wife abuser and run off to Acapulco on the proceeds.

Ooops, the handbrake has just gone on real hard, the 'Cynical Express' is slowing down........chuff, chuff......sorry troops, didn't mean it, ahhh, it's all better now.

Didn't mean a word of it.

peasea
8th August 2007, 20:33
But...but...what if there aren't enough offences? Oh that's right it's traffic so they don't NEED to commit an offence the officer just makes one up and there's no comeback.

Cool.:Punk:

Bingo again.
Your word against theirs. Good luck with that.

My court case is October 19th.....no breath being held here.

scumdog
8th August 2007, 21:47

But its OK folks, the cops will only make money from losers who can't ride/drive and/or don't know road rules, - won't be anybody on KB then will it?:whistle:

rwh
8th August 2007, 22:54
Shouldn't be hard - just be back outside the school at 3pm and start ticketing all the parents who stop on the dotted yellows, or double park, to pick up their kids. Then they'll have something to discuss with the kids next time.

Richard

Albino
9th August 2007, 10:09
Shouldn't be hard - just be back outside the school at 3pm and start ticketing all the parents who stop on the dotted yellows, or double park, to pick up their kids. Then they'll have something to discuss with the kids next time.

Richard

Haha nice, but what's the chances of that happening.

It appears the cop who issued the targets has said it was a mistake and there will no longer be a fixed target.

k14
9th August 2007, 11:17

Richard
Or the people that do 50 past the school bus stopped to drop off/pick up children, that'd hurt, 30 over the limit. Do 60 past there and you'd be walking for a month.

Pancakes
9th August 2007, 11:39
I'm so against targets like this as it means poor policing can appear to be more affective, if you have your target don't follow up new crime, secure a conviction against ones you've already caught or have to do people for dumb stuff cos your running out of real criminals (in NZ? hahahahah).

BUT!!

Did anyone actually read the story? 80 tickets a year? 2 each schoold week? I don't think they're going to have to make stuff up or wrongly accuse people of things to fill that quota! Considering there's probably not even one cop for 3 school area's (police KB'ers feel free to offer a real number!) and each school area will have a few primary schools, an intermediate or two and a high-school. Thats not alot guys. Thats a cop looking after at least 10 schools, 8 tickets/year/school. Thad'd be scratching the surface (maybe).
I'm all for higher M'Way speeds like 120-130k's (and having roads built to suit + adequate drive testing, all goes hand in hand). But am also all for schools being able to have their own speed camera's and ticket people doing over 40. Yes I think that is a suitable speed givenb the type of (fast and short) people around at start and end of school times and the fact the adults are out-numbered and have their hands (normally literally) full. Parked cars mean the kids can come out of gaps between them and you typically drive less than a meter away from the cars if they're parked on both sides. A child could be infront of you before you hit the pick's, if you see them. If you have kids you'll get me, if not you'll understand one day. If someone hit my kids they'll find hurt pretty quick!

gixermike
9th August 2007, 12:57
I don't have a problem with this at all really..I'd be pissed off if I was knocked off by a drunk driver who they were to lazy to ticket because they took a nice comfortable job with regular hours.....and I've no problem with the idea of either lower limits, or more enforcement around schools. But this should also come with better signage that you're actually near a school. Plenty (expecially kindergartens etc) seem to have little or no signage showing that they are there. Once that sort of warning is in place then go for the ticketing option if people ignore it.

This just goes along with the theory that speeding in town is intrinsicly dangerous becasue of the hazards around / stopping distances and the chances of pedestrians / dogs etc running out closer than your minimum stop distance....if someone runs out you will hit them...but hopefully will be slow enough not to kill them.
But to accept that Idea about risk / hazard....you also have to then accept that speeding on the open road isn't instrinsicly dangerous...(i.e....the imdeiate hazards..kids with footballs etc are much less likely)..as long as you can stop in the distance that you can SEE (not think) is clear ahead of you.
It would seem that that leap of faith would be too much for the NZ traffic police/ LTSA / safety odd bodds to accept....maybe I'm just a skeptical ex pom....I live in hope..

more_fasterer
9th August 2007, 13:24
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10456676

swbarnett
9th August 2007, 14:18
if someone runs out you will hit them...
This is not necessarily the case. Especially on a bike. Even at speed the timing has to be right and you've got a lot of room to go around them.

Pancakes
9th August 2007, 20:11
This is not necessarily the case. Especially on a bike. Even at speed the timing has to be right and you've got a lot of room to go around them.

If they have one meter to travel from being hidden by cars to being in your path you have 0.72 of a second to stop. (based on 5km/h walking speed. 3600 seconds/hr divided by the 5000m/hr = 0.72. I've had a bump to the head so if I'm wrong fire away).

SWB, last time we met you were the worlds best intersection designer now you can get to the brakes and stop in less that 3/4 of a second!! Amazing!

Renegade
9th August 2007, 20:13
[QUOTE=scumdog;1164683]But its OK folks, the cops will only make money from losers who can't ride/drive and/or don't know road rules.

good call.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the best way police could catch burglars in the act? people think its more important than speed enforcement, which it may well be but people also think its easy for the police to catch these burglars in the act, which i think police do want to do.

so if its so easy, whats your bright idea to catch these crims?? apart from getting them to leave their finger prints and DNA on every surface possible just to give the cops a fighting chance.

Write your :sunny: idea here.

Pancakes
9th August 2007, 20:19
Leave a home type safe in view and ajar....... with a big f*ck-off capacitor wired into it. There'll be a whole body of DNA for the cops!

Renegade
9th August 2007, 20:23
Leave a home type safe in view and ajar....... with a big f*ck-off capacitor wired into it. There will be a body of DNA for the cops.

great idea but i was thinking real world not a tarintino film......i do like tarintino tho.

Pancakes
9th August 2007, 20:30
They're cheap at Surplustronics etc, you'd have to keep the pets away and switch it off while you are home but I think it's very "real world". I have a farmer mate/inventor who made a "bunny buzzer". Metal disc to the earth (mains) with an insulated sleeve and metal spike in the middle (positive mains). Jab a carrot or other juicy veg' on the spike. They don't even get suss of the power cord. Blows a fuse every time tho. I don't a gree with buzzing bunnies, can't even shoot a possum and I hate what they do to native trees etc, call me a wuss.

scumdog
9th August 2007, 20:48
[QUOTE=scumdog;1164683]But its OK folks, the cops will only make money from losers who can't ride/drive and/or don't know road rules.

good call.

so if its so easy, whats your bright idea to catch these crims?? apart from getting them to leave their finger prints and DNA on every surface possible just to give the cops a fighting chance.

Greasy lawyers make it easy for the crims to wriggle out of it ... breach of rights and crap like that.
We all know a burglar but legal aid is way to available to help them weasel out of charges.

Let us bug their phones, put 'tails' on their cars, check their bank accounts, force them to attend WINZ daily and stuff like that and they would evaporate overnight.

Usarka
9th August 2007, 21:09

good call.

Can anyone enlighten me as to the best way police could catch burglars in the act? people think its more important than speed enforcement, which it may well be but people also think its easy for the police to catch these burglars in the act, which i think police do want to do.

Yeah you're right it's too hard. they should target speeders instead because thats much easier.

swbarnett
10th August 2007, 01:41
If they have one meter to travel from being hidden by cars to being in your path you have 0.72 of a second to stop. (based on 5km/h walking speed. 3600 seconds/hr divided by the 5000m/hr = 0.72. I've had a bump to the head so if I'm wrong fire away).

SWB, last time we met you were the worlds best intersection designer now you can get to the brakes and stop in less that 3/4 of a second!! Amazing!
That assumes that you're 0.72 seconds away from the point where their line crosses yours. All I meant to say was that a collision was not inevitable. Anyway, who said anything about stopping? I've been in that situation more than once (at 50km/h or there abouts). I've had three things happen (although not at once) - 1. The pedestrian passed in front of me before I reached them. 2. I accelerated and swerved, passing in front of the pedestrian (nearly got thumped cause the guy thought I was aiming for him). 3. I anticipated the habit and started braking before they left the curb, stopping safely with the pedestrian in front of me.

The trick is to read the circumstances ahead of time. If you're passing parked cars with not much room of course you should slow down. If the road has a wide verge/footpath and you've got plenty of warning of stupid pedestrians then you can afford to go faster.

Just occurred to me that I've never been in this situation when I've been over the speed limit. Maybe pedestrians look at a fast vehicle and don't risk the gap?

swbarnett
10th August 2007, 01:48
SWB, last time we met you were the worlds best intersection designer
Is it not common sense that if you can't see more than a few meters ahead of you you shouldn't turn in to the path of potentially oncoming traffic?

I don't claim to be able to design intersections better than the current professionals. They could probably do a much better job if they weren't constrained by a budget.

ChookThief
15th August 2007, 10:31
Been a while since a thread about the cops, speeding and quotas :lol:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4156513a10.html

My questions:

Do you think that these guys will target dangerous driving, or take the easy radar out the window approach?
Is there also a quota for these police officers to catch burglars?

I don't mind if they hammer people speeding around schools, its not on. Hopefully advertising the fact they're going to do it will slow people down. Remember this article related to Youth Education Officers. It is their job to ensure safety of our kids.

Burglars speed too and get ticketed just the same.

Toaster
15th August 2007, 10:56
[QUOTE=Renegade;1165872]

Greasy lawyers make it easy for the crims to wriggle out of it ... breach of rights and crap like that.
We all know a burglar but legal aid is way to available to help them weasel out of charges.

Let us bug their phones, put 'tails' on their cars, check their bank accounts, force them to attend WINZ daily and stuff like that and they would evaporate overnight.

Great policies Scumdog, can we make you prime minister? You are as much a man as the current one!

mbazza
17th August 2007, 21:08
So, that's why they hang around at school! Getting their quota up! lol. Cheers. :shit: