PDA

View Full Version : F5’s SP project pretty much complete

F5 Dave
30th September 2004, 09:44
FINALLY! I get to ride my bike. Took the arvo off work to bolt it all together, took it for a ride & got it WOF’d. :done:
It is a metallic burnt orange but looks quite red in the dark. Thanks to my friend Justin for a top paintjob & for coming up with the colour as I’d envisioned, which is similar to an ‘olden but with more orange. (Don’t go looking for DHT orange in your colour chart :niceone: )

Bellypan off as I did an oil change after as it had been sitting so long. Feels good to be back on it even though I have only really ridden in town. Next step is some YZF decals & maybe some faux number boards, but I'll experiment with some backing paper to see what it looks like.

It’s amazing how much time the little details soak up. The tailpiece was the biggest headache as it was originally destined for an Aprillia but the styling seems to seamlessly suit the tank etc. :love:

Have yet to put it on the scales as weight loss was the main objective, many parts removed or replaced with lighter items fairings etc.

Can anyone guess the source bike for the headlights??

What about that funky "Flash Gordon' tailight? I'll buy a beer if anyone identifies that.

Hope the weather holds for the weekend, I have some riding to catch up on!

Cajun
30th September 2004, 09:47
headlighs of fxr??

Blakamin
30th September 2004, 09:49
Beautiful! :first:

have no idea on the headlights tho

F5 Dave
30th September 2004, 09:50
headlighs of fxr??
Top guess, only weigh 300grams & take halogen inserts (admittedly 35W ones but I never ride this thing at night.)

Cajun
30th September 2004, 09:56
Top guess, only weigh 300grams & take halogen inserts (admittedly 35W ones but I never ride this thing at night.)

woo hoo what price do i win

Looks good tho bloody awsome work

Firefight
30th September 2004, 10:06

A crate of bannnas :first: get back to work :angry2:

F/F :yeah:

Omega1
30th September 2004, 10:07
You have done a great job,thats cool!!!

Cajun
30th September 2004, 10:17
A crate of bannnas :first: get back to work :angry2:

F/F :yeah:

quiet you, i do some work only i feel like leting you being aloud to get a new bike

F5 Dave
30th September 2004, 10:20

Looks good tho bloody awsome work

The FXR was the teaser. The beer prize comes with the tail light.

riffer
30th September 2004, 10:28
Dave - it's just lovely.

Top work.

Makes me proud to be a Yamaha owner... :)

See you on the road

vifferman
30th September 2004, 10:28
The FXR was the teaser. The beer prize comes with the tail light.Yeah, the headlight was easy, even though your photos hardly show either end clearly enough. Didja have any problems fitting the headlight shell?
Can't you fit bigger bulbs in the headlight? Surely at least 55W ones would be OK?
Great looking bike, Dave, and an excellent choice of colour.:2thumbsup

Posh Tourer :P
30th September 2004, 10:30
Bloody hell, the taillight isnt a beemer R-series is it?? It looks too round but I cant tell...

James Deuce
30th September 2004, 10:36
It looks superb and I can't wait to see it in action.

Eddieb
30th September 2004, 10:37
I saw you out yesterday and was trying to figure out what it was. It looked very nice in the flesh from what I saw of it.

F5 Dave
30th September 2004, 10:37
The FXR doesn’t have H4 fittings + it is plastic & too hot a bulb would likely melt it. Again it is meant as a sportbike so night riding is low priority. Now if only I could get the RF’s light to be half decent. <_<

Here is a better tail light shot, though I admit it ain’t the flashest resolution.

R series, err no.

F5 Dave
30th September 2004, 10:41
Saw you this morning Jim at lights in Maungaraki, but I didn't expect you to notice the van going past.

riffer
30th September 2004, 10:45
It's not off a Mark3 Zephyr is it?

F5 Dave
30th September 2004, 10:47
Right era, but it's not off a car. Thought the Zephyr had a long vertical one (ooeer!).

Posh Tourer :P
30th September 2004, 10:47
R series, err no.

Yah thats a bit easier to see - the centre pattern looks the same, but I couldnt make out those rounded edges.

Cajun
30th September 2004, 10:56
Right era, but it's not off a car. Thought the Zephyr had a long vertical one (ooeer!).

well ifs the zephyr era i got no idea, i am to young for that, you old farts better come and guess dc:< you about dave you old enough to know

James Deuce
30th September 2004, 11:02
Saw you this morning Jim at lights in Maungaraki, but I didn't expect you to notice the van going past.
What is this "van" you speak of?

I also feel crappy so I'm looking at vehicles today, not through them. Sorry I didn't see you.

vifferman
30th September 2004, 11:04
The correct answer is, it's off a No Pharking Eyed Deer.:crazy:
Either that, or the Lesser-spotted Pixellated Mystery Blur. 1968 model, I reckon.

Blakamin
30th September 2004, 11:05
its not early H-D is it?

Wenier
30th September 2004, 11:14
if ya can get a better resolution pic of the light i might b able to figure it. But i cant tell with the pick next to the van i have issues with the red being near a van of similar colour, stupid *(&^(^ eyes.

F5 Dave
30th September 2004, 12:05
Well I could go get a better pic at lunchtime, but I am waaay too lazy for that.

So, the answer is it is off a V50 Belugasomething or other scooter. Just the rear is visible, but it was a big sticky outy thing & found whilst rummaging in a box of tail lights. Almost used a C50 one (typical Honda stepthrough scooter made millions of, the V50 was Yamaha’s version. Never seen one going but a friend found one, tip I think).

So I’ll drink the beer myself, thanks for guessing. :innocent:

Blakamin
30th September 2004, 12:22
Well I could go get a better pic at lunchtime, but I am waaay too lazy for that.

So, the answer is it is off a V50 Belugasomething or other scooter. Just the rear is visible, but it was a big sticky outy thing & found whilst rummaging in a box of tail lights. Almost used a C50 one (typical Honda stepthrough scooter made millions of, the V50 was Yamaha’s version. Never seen one going but a friend found one, tip I think).

So I’ll drink the beer myself, thanks for guessing. :innocent:
Lets hope you never have to buy a new lens then!

F5 Dave
30th September 2004, 12:24
There was 2 more in that same box. + I could invite myself around to my friends garage and. . . :innocent:

munter
30th September 2004, 12:45
That is one very nice looking bike!!!
Pity it's not black :bleh:

Pwalo
30th September 2004, 12:46
Very, very nice Dave. Hope that you haven't built it just as a pose machine.

F5 Dave
30th September 2004, 12:55
Very, very nice Dave. Hope that you haven't built it just as a pose machine.

I hope not too, but like a new bike I’ll get over the fear of scratching it & just ride it like I used to. I’ve had the bike about 8 years & decided after riding a few other bikes that I still really liked it & what the hell was I doing selling it?

Actually I’ve already dropped it in the garage before it even made it outside. Pushed it forward, sidestand flicked up on the other side without me hearing it & I laid it over & it kept going. :gob:

Luckily there was a can waiting to catch the handlebar at just the right point to avoid a major mishap. Amazingly nothing was scratched, god was thanked & I went off inside a gibbering mess till I composed myself.

Looking forward (or maybe not) to weighing it.

Pwalo
30th September 2004, 13:15
I hope not too, but like a new bike I’ll get over the fear of scratching it & just ride it like I used to. I’ve had the bike about 8 years & decided after riding a few other bikes that I still really liked it & what the hell was I doing selling it?

Actually I’ve already dropped it in the garage before it even made it outside. Pushed it forward, sidestand flicked up on the other side without me hearing it & I laid it over & it kept going. :gob:

Luckily there was a can waiting to catch the handlebar at just the right point to avoid a major mishap. Amazingly nothing was scratched, god was thanked & I went off inside a gibbering mess till I composed myself.

Looking forward (or maybe not) to weighing it.

Buy a lotto ticket mate. Isn't it amazing how heavy ANY bike is when it starts to go over. I'd have been s$%#%$g myself after all the work you've done.

Don't weigh it. Just tell everyone you shaved off 5 kilos. Who will find out? :msn-wink:

F5 Dave
30th September 2004, 13:19
Fore-sure. I'll be claiming I lost so much weight it is now (-)5kg total & if it wasn't for the sticky tires it'd float away!

Was 208kg full of gas before I started this malarkey (but pipe already fitted which makes the 215kg in the manual believable).

Interested to see what it weighs now. Bear in mind that claimed weights from manufacturers are ‘dry’, no petrol, no oil anywhere, no battery acid etc.
03 GSXR750s were supposed to be 166kg or something crazy, but when PB weigh them they are 207.5 (must be heavy fuel at the Suzuki plant huh?) Mind you the 748 was 215kg so comparatively it is light.

R1 is supposed to be 198 ‘wet’ so that is what I am aiming at.

Current spec: YZF750SP (flatslides, close ratio gearbox etc). R1 brakes, Braided lines, PFM rotors. Kitted & revalved forks. Modified & revalved Shock (Yamaha Ohlins copy on the SP) Lowered gearing, 520 chain conversion. Fibreglass fairings, rad fans removed, K&N, modified airbox, SS2R Vance & Hines full system. Aprillia RS250 tailpiece, enormous std subframe removed, smaller battery, homemade battery box & rear guard. 112hp at rear wheel on a Dynojet dyno, smooth curve.

Future mods in consideration. Porting head. Thousand barrels if I can get them to fit, would take out to ~856cc. Ram air as per Race Kit instructions &/or use the tank as airbox upper. Anyone have some cheap forged OZ wheels? Sure.

Pwalo
30th September 2004, 13:28
You're a sick man!! Just upgrade your suspension, fit lighter wheels, pipe and rejet (still carbs on the SP?).

Oops too late. Bugger it, just go and ride the thing.

ching_ching
30th September 2004, 13:29
:niceone:

ching_ching

thehollowmen
30th September 2004, 13:42
that is a work of art :niceone:
good work

gav
30th September 2004, 22:14
A popular mode was fitting an exup 1000 motor back then wasnt it, more power more torque .....

Marknz
30th September 2004, 22:29
Looks bloody nice F5, look forward to seeing you out there this weekend.

You racing on Sunday? You still have a bucket for sale?

SPman
30th September 2004, 23:23
Hmmmm......niiace!

Funny saying you like the ol SP. Mine is getting due for major work and I just cant get rid of it! I know I'm gonna have to rebuild but its such fun!

LB
1st October 2004, 06:09

Looks great Dave!

No idea on the tailight......

F5 Dave
1st October 2004, 09:25
Cheers guys.

Thought about the 1000 engine a while back, but the heavier crank prob will make it harder to throw around. To be honest it is fast enough for the road.

Mark, probably will be at the races sunday. Maybe in observing capacity, depends how revved up I get about the idea of racing at the carpark which is a little uninspiring compared to the better tracks, Tawa even.

Well I put the bellypan on last night & I think it looks better without it, but still have to think about some extra styling as it’s a bit simple. Maybe a couple of stickers on the bellypan, but I don’t want it to look like some wannabe sponsor’s billboard.

Weighed it last night with an encouraging start (only had ½ a tank of gas in it). In fact a bit too encouraging & when I took the bike off the scales they didn’t return to where they started. Poos. May wait till sat & go to a shop to do it. Think Damon has some scales I could blag a go on.