PDA

View Full Version : first timer

orbs
30th September 2004, 13:23
hi
Im 19 and from christchurch. I got my learners about 3 weeks ago so now im busy trying to sort my self out a bike. One im thinking about getting is a '89 honda VTZ 250. for $2500. I dont know that much about bikes so hopefuly its not to over priced. I tried finding out some info about this sort of bike on the net but there is hardly any around, which does make me think if it has any problems there wont be many parts around either. I did have another bike earlier this year when I was staying in melbourne, it was an '83 gsx 250, it was a lemon, so I hope I dont have problems this time round
orbs.

Dodgyiti
30th September 2004, 13:29
Welcome orbs,
I'm sure someone here has had one and can help you out.
General things to look at are K's, condition [ drops scrapes etc] and have a peek at the oil, if its black and gungy, just general signs of maintence, fork legs for wear, rust. Discs for wear and scoring.
Generally, if it looks good, it usually is good.
But then I have bought a lemon or two [ or is that LeMans?] :bash:

vifferman
30th September 2004, 13:34
Welcome to KB, orbs.:spudwave:

Sorry I can't help you out with the bike, but if it's good, then Yippee! And if it's not, I'm sure you'll find summat that is.:niceone:

scumdog
30th September 2004, 13:51
Welcome! that scoot your'e talking about is kinda long in the tooth, '89 is a long time ago for a 250 unless it has been parked up a lot.

Not the same style but a Suzuki GN250 is not a whole lot dearer for brand new, give it a thought.

Posh Tourer :P
30th September 2004, 14:14
If the kms are over about 50,000 be careful - might still be good but many arent at that age... Is there a link to an auction or something we can look at? Price sounds ok, if it is a good example...

scroter
30th September 2004, 14:15
i too think that 2.5 g's is a bit to pay for an 89 250. but if its in reasonable nick with not too many k's then ok. you dont say whether its a dealer or not.
i think you could get a fairly new fxr150 for not much more than that, but dont qoute me on that, there are a good bike. check jrandoms avatar hes doin a wheelie on his, and not just a little one either.

jrandom
30th September 2004, 14:22
i think you could get a fairly new fxr150 for not much more than that, but dont qoute me on that, there are a good bike

Yeah, they're good. Probably less likely to cost money in parts and fixing than any ten-or-more-year-old 250. Two years on mine so far, I'm happy.

check jrandoms avatar hes doin a wheelie on his, and not just a little one either.

*Proud*

The full-size picture is in my profile if you wish to admire it further :innocent:

dangerman
30th September 2004, 14:32
the following website has info and pics of all models of bike made since the '70's

http://www.bikez.com/brands/index.php

happy hunting

vifferman
30th September 2004, 14:35
The full-size picture is in my profile if you wish to admire it further :innocent:Have you got the full-length movie version available, complete with background music, voice-over, surround sound, canned laughter, etc.?

jrandom
30th September 2004, 14:44
Have you got the full-length movie version available, complete with background music, voice-over, surround sound, canned laughter, etc.?

Perhaps I could get a grant from the gummint to make one, and then TV3 could run a multi-million-dollar ad campaign to fool people into watching it in a primetime broadcast slot.

thehollowmen
30th September 2004, 15:03
Have you got the full-length movie version available, complete with background music, voice-over, surround sound, canned laughter, etc.?

hey now, the thread about dirty videos is in the off topic section :yes:

Good luck with the bike, hope too see you on these SI roads. Lets have a good strong young SI biker population!

Be careful of the oil though, a lot of cars down here like spilling it out at corners in the SI, a lot more than up in the NI

wari
30th September 2004, 15:21
HUllo mate ... :moon:

Ms Piggy
30th September 2004, 17:00
hi
Im 19 and from christchurch. I got my learners about 3 weeks ago so now im busy trying to sort my self out a bike. One im thinking about getting is a '89 honda VTZ 250. for $2500. I dont know that much about bikes so hopefuly its not to over priced. I tried finding out some info about this sort of bike on the net but there is hardly any around, which does make me think if it has any problems there wont be many parts around either. I did have another bike earlier this year when I was staying in melbourne, it was an '83 gsx 250, it was a lemon, so I hope I dont have problems this time round
orbs.
Welcome to the site orbs :spudwave: Maybe one of the Christchurch lads will give ya a hand or look at it for you. Kickaha? K14? Dangerous?? ;) They are all such lovely helpful chaps.

Kickaha
30th September 2004, 19:50
Welcome to the site orbs :spudwave: Maybe one of the Christchurch lads will give ya a hand or look at it for you. Kickaha? K14? Dangerous?? ;) They are all such lovely helpful chaps.

Well I'd stay clear of both Dangerous and K14 as they're both pretty dodgy blokes :bleh:

Artifice
30th September 2004, 22:43
yes, and Kickaha is an upstanding senior citizen. :msn-wink:

those 150 cc 2 strokes go for around 3grand brand new. :eek:

my first bike was and srx250. bought for 600$ with the idea that i could just leave it at a wrekers if i trashed it. then what do i do.. spend a whole lot one replacing the main bearing and ... i shoulda just walked away.

Zapf
30th September 2004, 23:51
Well this is what I could find about it...

http://predator.bikepics.com/pics/honda-vtz250-88-bikepics-175104.jpg more pics at http://www.bikepics.com/members/acedbd/88vtz250/

Someone's claim... http://biker.co.nz/Classifieds.asp?id=-1049367612
She says it makes 40hp.? could it be true?

And the chassie code is MC15 according to this site http://www.oh-parts.co.jp/honda-vtz.htm

Artifice
1st October 2004, 00:08
40 hp sounds about right for a 250.

Ms Piggy
1st October 2004, 10:02
yes, and Kickaha is an upstanding senior citizen. :msn-wink:

Yes indeed. :yes:

jrandom
1st October 2004, 10:05
Kickaha is an upstanding senior

Yeah, but that's only 'cos he's really old.

orbs
2nd October 2004, 14:23
hey thanks for all the advise guys, i decided not to get the vtz 250, think i'll try get something thats a bit newer.

Kickaha
2nd October 2004, 21:41
Yeah, but that's only 'cos he's really old.

Téigh trasna ort féin mr Random :finger:

Pity you aren't going to Tokanuu,I'd get Cathy to sort you out :shifty:

magnum
2nd October 2004, 22:41
hello and welcome in :spudwave:

orbs
4th October 2004, 10:08
well got myself a bike yesterday, its a '01 fxr 150. I realy wanted a 250 but this should do me for while til i get the hang of riding.

riffer
4th October 2004, 10:38
well got myself a bike yesterday, its a '01 fxr 150. I realy wanted a 250 but this should do me for while til i get the hang of riding.
Congrats. An FXR150 is a superb choice for a learner. Look after it and don't bin it and you should get an ok amount for it when you decide to sell it.

dhunt
4th October 2004, 15:46
Congrats on the bike. Those are pretty good bikes. Have fun :ride: :ride: :ride:

inlinefour
27th January 2005, 23:51
Welcome and enjoy :banana: