PDA

View Full Version : Nearly got hit by a cop

karmakillernz
10th August 2007, 20:21
So I'm driving home from work today in a 50kmph zone coming up to a 90° corner. All of a sudden, a car comes flying around the bend at around 70-80kmph on the wrong side of the road because he's overtaking. I had to immediately swerve into the emergency strip to avoid getting hit. Almost ended up on the footpath.

Now, at the best of times this would cause me to curse all drivers on the road and hope they get caught doing such a thing infront of a cop one day but this time was different - because this time the driver was a cop. He had his lights going but no siren, so it's not even as if I could hear him coming. Besides, this was a blind corner - there is absolutely no reason he couldn't have waited another 4-5 seconds and overtaken on the (very long) straight. :angry:

Oddly enough, this is the first time I haven't ridden to work on the bike in about 2 weeks, and it's a good thing as I would have at least come off trying to avoid getting hit - or worse...

I'm pissed off I didn't get the details of the car (license plate, etc) but I was too busy trying to stay alive. So, what can you do? Go down to the station, lay a complaint with vague details and hope something happens? Or just suck it up and deal with it?

I'm not impressed. :nono:

Mom
10th August 2007, 20:28
ring your local police station, tell them what happened, give approx times, place etc. make sure to advise you are putting your concerns in writting. Then write a letter to the District "Commandant" giving the same details as your telephoned complaint......this is not on! Keep us posted

westie
10th August 2007, 20:32
Dude go get em! There is one law for us and another for them it seems these days. Or has it always been like that. I'm pissed off for you too. Grrr:angry:

lay a complaint agains the cops? who you think investigates it.

Why bother...

Usarka
10th August 2007, 20:52
Swerving like that in a car will get you in trouble around here mate :rofl:

in situations like this i try to think that the dude was heading somewhere *really* important. it's gotta be pretty important to almost kill someone on the way though.......

Shadows
10th August 2007, 21:15
Lodge a complaint, you won't need numbers, they know where their units are coming from and going to most of the time so it wouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Skyryder
10th August 2007, 21:42

Why bother...

Send a copy to your local MP and the Minister of Police. This will be logged. I doubt if much will happen though as the driver will no doubt come up with some kind of story. Might just make him/her think in the future.

Skyryder

Deano
10th August 2007, 21:49
I have had three similar experiences with Police cars. Hey, they are human just like us, but the training they go through should prepare them for situations like this - definitely no need to cross the centre line but I'm guilty of it on very rare occasions, and not proud of myself.

scumdog
10th August 2007, 21:49
So I'm driving home from work today in a 50kmph zone coming up to a 90° corner. All of a sudden, a car comes flying around the bend at around 70-80kmph on the wrong side of the road because he's overtaking. I had to immediately swerve into the emergency strip to avoid getting hit. Almost ended up on the footpath.

Now, at the best of times this would cause me to curse all drivers on the road and hope they get caught doing such a thing infront of a cop one day but this time was different - because this time the driver was a cop. He had his lights going but no siren, so it's not even as if I could hear him coming. Besides, this was a blind corner - there is absolutely no reason he couldn't have waited another 4-5 seconds and overtaken on the (very long) straight. :angry:

Oddly enough, this is the first time I haven't ridden to work on the bike in about 2 weeks, and it's a good thing as I would have at least come off trying to avoid getting hit - or worse...

I'm pissed off I didn't get the details of the car (license plate, etc) but I was too busy trying to stay alive. So, what can you do? Go down to the station, lay a complaint with vague details and hope something happens? Or just suck it up and deal with it?

I'm not impressed. :nono:

Probably a KBer judging by the way they ride..

jafar
10th August 2007, 21:52
Probably a KBer judging by the way they ride..

More likely the cop had the word that the bakery has made a new batch of donuts:rockon:

karmakillernz
10th August 2007, 22:16
Quite right. I wouldn't expect anything to happen except maybe the driver told to take it easy in future.

in situations like this i try to think that the dude was heading somewhere *really* important. it's gotta be pretty important to almost kill someone on the way though.......
I understand their need to get to an emergency as quickly as possible, but this was just after 5pm - a very busy time on the roads. Surely if cars were holding him up, turn on the siren and at the very least wait 50 meters until the straight to overtake! There's being in a hurry and then there's being stupid. I'd put this squarely in the latter.

I have had three similar experiences with Police cars. Hey, they are human just like us, but the training they go through should prepare them for situations like this - definitely no need to cross the centre line but I'm guilty of it on very rare occasions, and not proud of myself.
I agree, and I'm sure he didn't do it just to scare me :shit: but an officer of all people should understand the risks of maneuvers like overtaking on a blind corner. No need to endanger lives (especially mine :innocent:) to save others.

I'll write up a letter this weekend and send it off on Monday. I'm sure I'll never hear about it but at least I'll have done something (other than swearing a lot :)).

Kenzie
15th August 2007, 15:00
Stupid question probably but how fast can police go with their lights flashing but no sirens going? Is there a legal limit they can go to above the normal speed limit with lights/no sirens - with lights and sirens, or is it whatever they feel like/suitable?????

peasea
15th August 2007, 21:53
This whole thing's a fuckin' yawn. :zzzz:

The cops will do (and do) what they want. No doubt there'll be some who attempt to don their superhero capes and right the wrongs of the world etc etc (ad infinitum, holier than thou blah blah) but in the end if you come up on the dirty end of the pig-stick they win. That's life. I got assualted by one years ago, went to the Police Corruption Authorization, with a witness, but without shitloads of gold I had no chance. After the lies were written, into the shredder it went. Don't forget; they have unlimited funds.....we don't.

I've seen coppers lie in the stand and I know they were lying, I was at the incident and saw what happened then I saw/heard them in the stand. It's immensely frustrating and I don't doubt that city cops are WAY dirtier than their country counterparts. Country cops will have a beer with you, they most likely play footy with the locals, buy their vege's at the markets and so on. In the city it's impersonal and they just need to cross the i's and dot the t's. (Which is how they work, backwards.)

If you can build a case against a copper and win then I'll buy you a beer. No, a box of beer.

I'm surprised you weren't raped into the bargain.

boomer
15th August 2007, 22:07
This whole thing's a fuckin' yawn. :zzzz:

The cops will do (and do) what they want. No doubt there'll be some who attempt to don their superhero capes and right the wrongs of the world etc etc (ad infinitum, holier than thou blah blah) but in the end if you come up on the dirty end of the pig-stick they win. That's life. I got assualted by one years ago, went to the Police Corruption Authorization, with a witness, but without shitloads of gold I had no chance. After the lies were written, into the shredder it went. Don't forget; they have unlimited funds.....we don't.

I've seen coppers lie in the stand and I know they were lying, I was at the incident and saw what happened then I saw/heard them in the stand. It's immensely frustrating and I don't doubt that city cops are WAY dirtier than their country counterparts. Country cops will have a beer with you, they most likely play footy with the locals, buy their vege's at the markets and so on. In the city it's impersonal and they just need to cross the i's and dot the t's. (Which is how they work, backwards.)

If you can build a case against a copper and win then I'll buy you a beer. No, a box of beer.

I'm surprised you weren't raped into the bargain.

if i were a copper, i'd give you a good hiding too

peasea
15th August 2007, 22:14
if i were a copper, i'd give you a good hiding too

....and video it for later reference...........

boomer
15th August 2007, 22:22
....and video it for later reference...........

no.. a good kickin would suffice

peasea
15th August 2007, 22:22
no.. a good kickin would suffice

Stirrups? Whip?

boomer
15th August 2007, 22:25
Stirrups? Whip?

no...no.. and NO.. which bit of 'kickin' do you not understand.

a proper rozza kickin with big shiney hob nailed boots, or if i were one of those wannabe types.. i;d be wearing the special forces boots.. which don't really hurt that much.. but look nice and if i were'nt such a bat fastard copper they would make me run really fast too...

still.. a kickins a kickin and i've had my fair share by the rozzas.. not including my old fella who was a rozza :Punk: