PDA

View Full Version : Transporting a bike from Oz to NZ, how?

greshaki
10th August 2007, 20:57
Hi all, Im planning a riding trip around the South Island for March (YAY)
But Ive been browsing bike rental places, and whipping out the calculator they are staggeringly expensive (BOO)

As an example, a fairly modest steed like a v-strom 650 costs about $130 a day not including bond. If I rent one for 3 weeks Im looking at $2730!
As a result, Im looking into the possibility of getting my own bike across to NZ. I believe I have the bit from Perth to Melbourne sussed but am having trouble finding a service that can transport her from Melbourne to somewhere in NZ (pref South Island). Does anyone know of a service, like a ferry that does this?

Another thing I was thinking about was rocking up in Christchurch and just buying a used bike, and selling back to the dealership after 3 weeks. Have to think that you would lose less than $3k doing it that way eh? Has anyone tried this before? Any advice is welcome, thanks

jafar
10th August 2007, 21:18
Hi all, Im planning a riding trip around the South Island for March (YAY)
But Ive been browsing bike rental places, and whipping out the calculator they are staggeringly expensive (BOO)

As an example, a fairly modest steed like a v-strom 650 costs about $130 a day not including bond. If I rent one for 3 weeks Im looking at $2730!
As a result, Im looking into the possibility of getting my own bike across to NZ. I believe I have the bit from Perth to Melbourne sussed but am having trouble finding a service that can transport her from Melbourne to somewhere in NZ (pref South Island). Does anyone know of a service, like a ferry that does this?

Another thing I was thinking about was rocking up in Christchurch and just buying a used bike, and selling back to the dealership after 3 weeks. Have to think that you would lose less than $3k doing it that way eh? Has anyone tried this before? Any advice is welcome, thanks

You can contact DHL or one of the other international forwarders in OZ & sort it out with them.
A buyback deal with a bikeshop may be the better option.

Mully
10th August 2007, 21:42
Mate, you'd probably not get much change from $3k with shipping both ways, Carnet, MAF, Customs, AQIS, blah blah blah plus all the hassle.

I'd try sorting a deal to buy a bike and sell it back to the dealership at the end (provided you don't bin it) for a pre-approved price.

Dave Milligan
12th August 2007, 13:48
Hi Greshaki,

Have a look at www.getrouted.com.au - $1480 for your VStrom 650 from Melbourne to Christchurch and back to Melbourne - includes Marine Insurance, NZ Tourist Registration and Warrant of Fitness.
Been in business for 10 years shipping Aussie bikes to Chch, NZ.

Kind regards
Dave Milligan

greshaki
14th August 2007, 20:43
Hi Greshaki,

Have a look at www.getrouted.com.au - $1480 for your VStrom 650 from Melbourne to Christchurch and back to Melbourne - includes Marine Insurance, NZ Tourist Registration and Warrant of Fitness.
Been in business for 10 years shipping Aussie bikes to Chch, NZ.

Kind regards
Dave Milligan

Wow! Thats awesome! Mate I will be in touch on your website!

Steam
14th August 2007, 21:28
See here for a guy who got it done for $315 AU dollars, one way.
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/tripplan/transport/shipping.php put in Australia to NZ, and tick the box that says "Last two years results only"