PDA

View Full Version : Welsh visitors need advice

Welsh_Wizard
11th August 2007, 09:15
My wife and I are travelling to Auckland in December 2007 for three weeks and plan to tour the North and South Islands.

We would appreciate any information on hiring a sports tourer type bike.
Also can anyone recommend any great roads to do , places to stay, things to see or events we should attend.:Punk:

Thanks Paul and Sandra

Meanie
11th August 2007, 09:33
Welcome
Head up top of the north island first then just follow the coast right round untill you get back to Auckland There are some realy nice coast roads but just as good inland. Work out what you want to see then post Everyone will chip in and make suggestions
Bed here in Palmerston North if you need :yes:
Not sure where to hire bikes but someone here will know

Wannabiker
11th August 2007, 10:50
Ther was an outfit advertised in one of the more recent KIWI RIDER mags that had set up in the North Island hiring out the latest KTM adventure bikes. Someone else may have the web adddress for them. I will endeavour to plough thru the back issues and find the article. Can someone else help here with the name?

PM me if you need somewhere to stay on your way through wellington, Always have spare bed for visitors.

Mr Merde
11th August 2007, 10:56
Another Taff coming over, great.

25 years in Caerdydd myself.

Bed in Franklin County if you need one.

Not too sure of routes others here more qualified to advise.

Sorry i dont know anything about bike hire.

The others here will help with that.

PM me when you have worked out an itinary

Mr :shit:

MyGSXF
11th August 2007, 11:41
Hi WW.. .

Welcome to KB.. & soon to NZ!!! :Punk:

Of course everyone knows that the beautiful South Island has the best & most scenic roads for riding motorcycles!!!! :banana: & especially FAAAAARRRR fewer traffic issues to have to contend with!!! :shutup:

Where do you fly out from??? Do you have to back up to Auckland again??

If ya do.. head South straight away!! :niceone: to get plenty of time to explore the South Island, so you don't run out of time!! then just cruise back up North again!

I can put you up in Nelson if you need somewhere to stay!! :yes: We sport the famous Takaka Hill & Golden Bay here, which makes for a fantastic day ride in itself!! :scooter: Motorcycling heaven it is!!! :drool: Here's a taste below, of a ride I did earlier in the year.. (scroll down till you hit the pics!!)

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=45720&page=2

Jen :rockon:

Beemer
11th August 2007, 12:22
Welsh people welcome in Levin! Spare bed and safe secure parking!

My rellies a few generations ago came from Treguff Place, near Llancarvan. I went to Wales and visited the old family home in 1993 and loved the place.

Andy would be more than happy to give you some hints and tips on where to go in the South Island as he has toured there (gravel and road) many times.

MSTRS
11th August 2007, 12:43
Put East Cape on your list. (nearly) Always a bed at ours.

oldrider
11th August 2007, 14:44
Hi WW, when you are in the South Island Mount Cook, Hydro lakes Mackenzie country, Just before you go over the Lindis Pass, you are near our place!

PM me if you need anything, maybe we can help! :yes: Cheers John. (Kiwi Bikers are everywhere, where the sun shines. :sunny: )

My grandfather was a Welshman, what significance there is in that, I do not know but I thought it worth a mention. Enjoy New Zealand!

mbazza
11th August 2007, 18:39
Hi persons from Wales.
Three weeks to do both islands, you'll be exhausted.
Peter Mitchell's - 'NZ Motor Cycle Atlas' by HEMA will get you onto the best roads. Have fun.
Cheers. :Punk:

jonbuoy
11th August 2007, 18:50
I gotta agree that South Island is motorcycling Nirvana you'll be able to cruise around some great roads all to yourself, some good stuff up north too. These few stick in my head - Kaikoura coast road, West coast heading to Greymouth, Takaka/Golden Bay, Arthurs pass. Bay of Islands up North.

betti
11th August 2007, 19:02
as far as renting a bike goes

http://motorcyclerentals.gotournz.com/allinfo

not cheap, but awesome reputation, and great range.
Call in if your in the manawatu, We're poms, but don't hold that against us.
You will love it here!.

Conquiztador
11th August 2007, 19:11
Do some planning. Decide what you want to see. 3 weeks is not much. If you are gonna travel NI and SI in that time you will spend most of your time on the road.

Here as list of where to write a message and ask what they can do 4 U.

http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q=motorcycle+rental&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr%3DcountryNZ

When you come to Hawke's Bay (as you must do!!) feel free to pop in. Spare room and live on the beach.

Welsh_Wizard
14th August 2007, 10:17
Thanks to all who replied we are looking through them . Anyone reccomend any bike hire in South Island

Paul & Sandra

Mr Merde
14th August 2007, 11:30
Thanks to all who replied we are looking through them . Anyone reccomend any bike hire in South Island

Paul & Sandra

Where abouts in Wales are you living?

oldrider
14th August 2007, 11:48

Paul & Sandra

Hi Paul and Sandra, try this site: http://www.rentatriumph.co.nz

ynot slow
14th August 2007, 18:00
Bed here in Sth Taranaki,enjoy the trip.