PDA

View Full Version : Never-ending clutch slippage woes on gn250

gargantua
12th August 2007, 14:13
HI,

The clutch slippage on my 2002 gn250 (now at 80,000km) has been going on for a year already and the thought has ran my what it will take to get the frickin problem fixed!!!

I have changed the entire housing (includes the inner basket) and clutch plates as part of regular maintanence at 50,000km done by professional mechanic. Not a problem until at 60k km, where slippage problems surfaces more prominent at high rpm of above 3,000. Since then, 20,000 km later, the problem is the same as the day it started!! I have since changed to brand new, the clutch plates twice, the pressure plates once, clutch springs once and put back the old housing just to check if its a manufacturing defect and problem is exactly the same. All sprockets are original with original tooths. Engine oil has been using the same for 3 years and tried changing to 2 other brands and recommended by suzuki, stilll the same result. I have confirmed with 3 mechanic and all give the same assessment of a slight slippage at higher rpm. Slippage though slight changes completely the feel of the bike. The bike has just adequate horsepower and I need it! Any ideas before I start throwing parts at it? One mechanic has mentioned possibility of clutch holder..is that the outer basket (right underneath right side casing) that hold the cluch sping in place? and what could possible be wrong with that? Its not listed as a consumable. Another thing though, at one time when new spings where put in, the bike suddenly ran extremely well for the first 2 kilometer and immediately started back to its old problem afterwards..grrrr.not sure its the spring or the act of putting everything back in place...

Paul in NZ
12th August 2007, 15:41
Are you using a motorcycle oil in it? Some car oils have friction modifiers that can cause clutch slip. Other than that - correct adjustment of the clutch and cable are important...

jonbuoy
12th August 2007, 17:48
You got an exploded parts drawing? Maybe a spacer/washer/part got forgotten all those moons ago and no-one's picked up on it since?