PDA

View Full Version : Member profile updates

SpankMe
13th August 2007, 11:13
Looking at making some additions to members profile page and am looking for any other suggestions.

First I'll make the profile picture a thumb link to the full picture to make more room on the page.

Next I'll add a linked list of the top 5 pos/neg rep'ed posts for that member. This will be by the number of reps a post got, not the amount of rep.

I will also add profile comments. Other members will be able to make comments about a member on their profile page. I could use this only on bike shop logins or for all members, not sure yet.

Let me know what you think.

Joni
13th August 2007, 11:16
Sounds good.

I reckon the comments would be best only for the shops.

jrandom
13th August 2007, 11:22
I reckon the comments would be best only for the shops.

Oh, no, Jo, the possibilities that that would open up would be awesome. I say allow it for all members.

And I really like the top 5 rep'd posts idea, too.

Great thinking Spank!

SpankMe
13th August 2007, 11:24
Another idea is profile privacy option for users, allowing you to select one of three options.

"Public" enables anyone at all to view your profile, "Private" limits your profile to only being viewed by forum members, and "Friends Only" limits your profile to people on your buddy list.

Joni
13th August 2007, 11:24
Oh, no, Jo, the possibilities that that would open up would be awesome. I say allow it for all members.We have to deal with abuse complaints every day, I dont think another place where this is a possibility should be an option.

I can see it opening up a lot of problems.

skelstar
13th August 2007, 12:02
Think it would be a pity to have thumbnail for the profile pic...full image I reckon (unless I've misinterpretted what you meant).

Can we have critical measurements for female members as well :D

Grub
13th August 2007, 12:28
Whatever you think is a fair thing sounds good to me.

One of the frustrations I have may not be an enhancement that can be done.

I often am looking for a thread i've last posted to in order to edit or add to it. As our own posts don't show up in New Posts unless someone else has added to the thread, it's necessary to ...
- go to back to Kiwi Biker forums home page
- scroll to the bottom of the very long page
- click on username
- scroll down to Find all posts/threads
- select from the return list

Solution?
Add a section in the UserCP looking like
- Forum Messages subsection with
...... Find all my posts
...... Find all threads started by me

Grub
13th August 2007, 12:31
Can we have critical measurements for female members as well :D

No way, that would mean we have to have the critical measurements of all the males members too? :sick:

deanohit
13th August 2007, 12:36
Solution?
Add a section in the UserCP looking like
- Forum Messages subsection with
...... Find all my posts
...... Find all threads started by me

Yep, I agree with Grub that something like this would be handy.

Toaster
13th August 2007, 12:42
Notification of who/when someone has added you to their buddy list.

Feedback issue is already dealt with via rep system. However, a site rule that only positive comments be placed against a profile would temper any possible negative spin-offs.

Shops should be able to have both positive and 'constructive' negative comments made so they can work to improve their market offerring/service etc.

Hitcher
13th August 2007, 13:04
I am opposed to having an ability for comments positive or negative ascribed to either individuals or businesses on profile pages, in fact for anything to be added to a personal page that hasn't been put there by or with the full consent of that page's "owner".

As has been noted earlier in this thread, we have more than enough angst and aggravation amongst members already from repping and flame warriors.

Also, in the case of businesses, this site's owner may be opening himself up to legal challenge/action by disgruntled businesses who could claim that their reputation/commercial success had been impacted negatively by such an approach. Such a risk would be uninsurable and Court-awarded damages would be likely to exceed $50,000. Not that any Kiwi Biker members would ever say anything negative or indefensible about a commercial business. But such a decision is, of course, ultimately that of this site's owner.

Bend-it
13th August 2007, 13:06
Yup, I agree with Hitcher in that comments should need to be approved before appearing. Otherwise you'll get all sort of crap popping up by people who have too much time and not enough brains.

Joni
13th August 2007, 13:08
Now that I think about it, I agree with Hitch too...

I have given people on KB the benefit of the doubt many times and his come to bite me on the arse... so yeah I support the thought of no comments to profiles, personal or business.

SpankMe
13th August 2007, 13:11
I often am looking for a thread i've last posted to in order to edit or add to it. As our own posts don't show up in New Posts unless someone else has added to the thread, it's necessary to ...
- go to back to Kiwi Biker forums home page
- scroll to the bottom of the very long page
- click on username
- scroll down to Find all posts/threads
- select from the return list

or go "Quick Links" -> "My Profile"

Grahameeboy
13th August 2007, 13:14
No way, that would mean we have to have the critical measurements of all the males members too? :sick:

That's what the KB Arse thread was for

RantyDave
13th August 2007, 13:22
Think it would be a pity to have thumbnail for the profile pic
Gotta agree, can't see anything wrong with the existing method - except that perhaps multiple profile pics would be nice (ugly mug + bike).

I also agree with both Joni and Hitcher that comments/reps on profiles themselves is asking for trouble. And, yes, it is troubling that it's asking for trouble, but it is.

I like the idea of the top 5 green repped posts but wouldn't want to see it done for reds. Unless, for some reason, we think that encouraging redworthy posts has become a good idea.

Dave

Grub
13th August 2007, 13:23
or go "Quick Links" -> "My Profile"

Oh .... {d'oh} :)

Nasty
13th August 2007, 13:45
I am opposed to having an ability for comments positive or negative ascribed to either individuals or businesses on profile pages, in fact for anything to be added to a personal page that hasn't been put there by or with the full consent of that page's "owner".

Agree with Hitcher ... would appreciate being able to comment on shops etc .. but not on the people on the site .. I think there would be too much abuse to be had.

SpankMe
13th August 2007, 13:51
Think it would be a pity to have thumbnail for the profile pic...full image I reckon (unless I've misinterpretted what you meant).

The thumbnail would be a link to the full image. It would also allow me to increase the allowed size of the profile pic.

Gotta agree, can't see anything wrong with the existing method - except that perhaps multiple profile pics would be nice (ugly mug + bike).

I would add links to members gallery page and attachments. Maybe with thumbs of the last few images added to the gallery.

skelstar
13th August 2007, 14:16
... Maybe with thumbs of the last few images added to the gallery.
Now that would be cool. Would encourage people to post more of their pics too.

Ocean1
13th August 2007, 14:45

As has been noted earlier in this thread, we have more than enough angst and aggravation amongst members already from repping and flame warriors.

Also, in the case of businesses, this site's owner may be opening himself up to legal challenge/action by disgruntled businesses who could claim that their reputation/commercial success had been impacted negatively by such an approach. Such a risk would be uninsurable and Court-awarded damages would be likely to exceed $50,000. Not that any Kiwi Biker members would ever say anything negative or indefensible about a commercial business. But such a decision is, of course, ultimately that of this site's owner.

So add "Show nobody" to this:

Another idea is profile privacy option for users, allowing you to select one of three options.

"Public" enables anyone at all to view your profile, "Private" limits your profile to only being viewed by forum members, and "Friends Only" limits your profile to people on your buddy list.

And you've got the best of both worlds. No?

The only obvious possible bitch being that a limited few (known friends) can observe that it's so set and conclude what they like about that...

SpankMe
13th August 2007, 15:16
maybe an option for members to allow comments or not.

Joni
13th August 2007, 15:22
maybe an option for members to allow comments or not.And if they allow them, dont cry if you get given shit through it?

That could work... :yes:

edit: default set to "no" - so that people have to make the decision for it to be "yes"...

justsomeguy
13th August 2007, 15:24
What we have now is fine. I personally don't feel I need more options.

Kind of if it ain't broke...

jrandom
13th August 2007, 15:26
And if they allow them, dont cry if you get given shit through it?

That could work... :yes:

Members would have to be able to respond with comments of their own, of course.

Joni
13th August 2007, 15:29
Members would have to be able to respond with comments of their own, of course.I think that is one of the reasons I was against it, as I can see a bitch fight in the making if "some members" of KB get negative comments... their poor little ego's cant handle it.

BuFfY
13th August 2007, 15:31
Would the comments be part of the 'user notes' that you add yourself?
It would be good if you get a pm asking you to say yes to it going on your page though.

ZeroIndex
13th August 2007, 15:32
Looking at making some additions to members profile page and am looking for any other suggestions.

First I'll make the profile picture a thumb link to the full picture to make more room on the page.

Next I'll add a linked list of the top 5 pos/neg rep'ed posts for that member. This will be by the number of reps a post got, not the amount of rep.

I will also add profile comments. Other members will be able to make comments about a member on their profile page. I could use this only on bike shop logins or for all members, not sure yet.

Let me know what you think.
I prefer the full picture on the profile page as is... personally a thumb linky would be annoying...

A good idea might be to put every though-of update into its own voting poll...?

Delphinus
13th August 2007, 15:33
Members would have to be able to respond with comments of their own, of course.

Like trademe?

AAA++++ post btw

u4ea
13th August 2007, 15:35
What we have now is fine. I personally don't feel I need more options.

Kind of if it ain't broke...

Ditto.....

Kendog
13th August 2007, 15:39
Having the member approve the profile comments sounds like the best way to control that function.

I like the full size profile pic, but if there are easy links to other pictures that may not be so bad.

Also, should we show the member their own private fields information? In case something has changed and they forget to update it.

SpankMe
13th August 2007, 15:47
Also, should we show the member their own private fields information? In case something has changed and they forget to update it.

:Oops: didn't notice that. Will fix.

Virago
13th August 2007, 16:22
...Also, should we show the member their own private fields information? In case something has changed and they forget to update it.

...Just put yourself on your Buddy list - it works well.

Virago
13th August 2007, 16:49
The idea of the top five repped posts is an interesting one - I like it. Sort of a "Best & Worst Of" that person's posts. From experience, some posts attract a large number of reps - both green and red - so the same posts may actually appear in both lists...:laugh:

The process would give an interesting insight into what people give rep for - is it for a well-written and insightful post, or to reward shit-stirrers? Hmmm...

I'm not keen on the comments being put on Profiles. There is a small minority of bullies and stirrers that could abuse the process, and cause a nightmare for the mods.

The problem of comments put on the Trade Profiles being contested is a very real one. Our local City Council toyed with the idea of making "opinions" about Council Contractors available on their public web-site. The idea was dropped when a certain Fire Systems Contractor pointed out the opinions published publically were more accurately called "libel"...

SpankMe
13th August 2007, 17:05
I could just move the profile picture down into its own row and put the new stuff above or below it. Might also make the different blocks collapsible.

What about the public/private fields? Any additions/changes needed?

Trudes
13th August 2007, 18:02
Rep comments should be optional, I don't want everyone seeing the rude comments I get from time to time. (You know who you are!!) Otherwise, I'm with the "if it ain't broke" lot.

Edbear
13th August 2007, 18:40
come to bite me on the... .

I wouldn't dream of such a thing...:sunny:

Also agree, well said! Far be it from a KB'r to make inflammatry comments, surely...?:gob:

SpankMe
13th August 2007, 19:07
First part of profile changes (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/member.php?u=1) done.

Usarka
13th August 2007, 19:38
That thing with the rep opens up a goldmine of interesting old posts. :yes:

chanceyy
13th August 2007, 19:48
Interesting .. the only 3 negative reps I got was from someone I have now got on my ignore list, obviously its been removed from user cp but then comes up on the negative posts

rather than involve the mods, I felt by putting this person on ignore would be enough to deal with the situation.

but now the posts are showing again .. sighs

quite frankly am not interested in red reps, but green is fine as some ppl post some damn good comments

cowpoos
13th August 2007, 19:49
The thumbnail would be a link to the full image. It would also allow me to increase the allowed size of the profile pic.

In that case...how about a indication of how big the image is...so people with shit conection speeds don't waste there time loading big pics??

Toaster
13th August 2007, 19:53
...Just put yourself on your Buddy list - it works well.

So you have a buddy now?! hehehe! :innocent:

SpankMe
13th August 2007, 19:57
I've also increased the max profile pic size to 1024x768 for senior members.

Slingshot
13th August 2007, 20:05
Nice one Spank, I like the bling thing!

Kendog
13th August 2007, 21:03
I've also increased the max profile pic size to 1024x768 for senior members.

Loving the new larger size, cheers.

sunhuntin
13th August 2007, 21:08
i know ive said it before, but what about the option to delete old attachments that we have posted?

other than that, im happy with whatever, lol.

Skunk
13th August 2007, 21:31
Loving the new larger size, cheers.
Take it away! It's 'orrible! My poor eyes...

SpankMe
13th August 2007, 21:35
Latest gallery images added now displaying on profile page.

ZeroIndex
13th August 2007, 22:25
Latest gallery images added now displaying on profile page.
Originally I wasn't too sure how the profiles would end up looking (since I liked the way they looked already), but you've done a really amazing job, and now they look super-awesome-tastic!!!

imdying
14th August 2007, 09:28
How about an 'auto-ignore'? You can choose what ratio you want to have, say 20:1... anyone that has more than 1 red per 20 green, you automatically don't see the posts of? Or something equally self regulating, a system similar to how Digg and such sites run.

/edit: Or say if 2 or more of the people in your buddy list have someone on ignore, it suggests 'Other people like you have ignored xxxx, would you like to ignore them too?' :D

Transalper
14th August 2007, 10:15
So I knda like the displaying ya last 5 reps, but now everyone can see I got a red one too. What annoys me is that it was put there by accident by a friend who clicked the wrong button while learning but couldn't change it after the fact. The comment that went with it said "good on ya" on a post that couldn't possibly have offended anyone because all it was was details of an adventure ride coming up.

ManDownUnder
14th August 2007, 10:18
No problems with it but I find the whole top 5 and bottom 5 rep thing ... hard to understand.

I.e. why is it needed? What benefit does it bring?

Not having a go - just struggling to understand.

Re the work put in - cheers Spank.

Ocean1
14th August 2007, 10:18
So I knda like the displaying ya last 5 reps, but now everyone can see I got a red one too. What annoys me is that it was put there by accident by a friend who clicked the wrong button while learning. The comment that went with it said "good on ya" on a post that couldn't possibly have offended anyone because all it was was details of an adventure ride coming up.

Funny you should mention that...

scumdog
14th August 2007, 12:28
Any chance of installing a Green to Red ratio/percentage as well as the 'five of each' thing?

Joni
14th August 2007, 12:33
No problems with it but I find the whole top 5 and bottom 5 rep thing ... hard to understand.

Not having a go - just struggling to understand.

Re the work put in - cheers Spank.I have to agree with you!! From my cynical point of view, its puts more emphases on something that is already taken too seriously.

ManDownUnder
14th August 2007, 12:35
Any chance of installing a Green to Red ratio/percentage as well as the 'five of each' thing?

Is it a curiousity thing, or do you have an end in mind? How/why do you use it?

I have to agree with you!! From my cynical point of view, its puts more emphases on something that is already taken too seriously.

... +1

scumdog
14th August 2007, 12:39
Is it a curiousity thing, or do you have an end in mind? How/why do you use it?

Just because at present the system does not indicate anything other than you've had 5 red and 5 green blings (and the topic too of course).

There's no way of knowing if the person is a red-bling-magnet or otherwise - maybe that's the plan???

ManDownUnder
14th August 2007, 12:43
Just because at present the system does not indicate anything other than you've had 5 red and 5 green blings (and the topic too of course).

There's no way of knowing if the person is a red-bling-magnet or otherwise - maybe that's the plan???

Yeah but... why is that important? From what i can see there's a lot of tit for tat bling gets given out, both red and green rendering it somewhat meaningless anyway.

I figure if I disagree with a post or a person it'll become pretty obvious...

jrandom
14th August 2007, 13:09

I've enormously enjoyed browsing back through the top-repped posts of my friends on KB (well, mostly...). I think it's a great feature.

Red-blinged posts are usually silly and pointless, though. I'd support just displaying the top 5 green. Multiple-green-bling posts are almost always fascinating, insightful or uplifting. It's a great tool for bringing out the forum's gems, which can sometimes be hard to run across in the significant body of discussion that goes on.

ManDownUnder
14th August 2007, 13:10
I've enormously enjoyed browsing back through the top-repped posts of my friends on KB (well, mostly...). I think it's a great feature.

Red-blinged posts are usually silly and pointless, though. I'd support just displaying the top 5 green. Multiple-green-bling posts are almost always fascinating, insightful or uplifting. It's a great tool for bringing out the forum's gems, which can sometimes be hard to run across in the significant body of discussion that goes on.

Fair call.

RantyDave
15th August 2007, 08:20
Blimey, up already. Good work Spank!

Dave

RiderInBlack
16th August 2007, 20:53
Well have had a look at my new Member Profile and would like ta say that personally I would like the choice re: negative reps showing. Personally I would like the old shit left ta die and not stirred-up again.

Wellyman
16th August 2007, 23:06
Well have had a look at my new Member Profile and would like ta say that personally I would like the choice re: negative reps showing. Personally I would like the old shit left ta die and not stirred-up again.

I agree with RIB here, could bring in alot of old thread digging to the site. could be pesky.
WM