PDA

View Full Version : New member from Scotland

ProX
1st October 2004, 01:22
Hello everyone. This looks like a good place to be.

I'm currently living in Scotland, but planning a move to New Zealand next year some time. I currently ride a GSXR400R (gk76a). I plan on getting the newer ZX6R when I get over there. In nice shiney green!

I've got plenty of questions to ask you guys, so I'll see you all about the forum I'm sure. :)

SPORK
1st October 2004, 01:26
Argh, welcome aboard! We have lots of international members here! I'm sure you will fit in like a... a... a something that fits in really well!

jrandom
1st October 2004, 01:30
Argh, welcome aboard! We have lots of international members here! I'm sure you will fit in like a... a... a something that fits in really well!

A fitty-inny thing.

Hello ProX. Are we supposed to say it "Pro ecks" or "Procks"?

The Scottish KiwiBiker forum contingent grows alarmingly stronger with each passing period-of-time thingy. One of these days we might have to round them all up and burn them, just to be on the safe side.

Welcome to the site.

StoneChucker
1st October 2004, 01:32
Hey

Welcome, I'm sure you'll find yourself right at home here. There are, I think 2 other members from Scotland, I'm sure you'll see them in passing. About your questions, ask away, everyone here is really helpful.

Oh, when you move over here, make sure you move to Wellington, we need more local members :2thumbsup

Nice shiny green hey? You into Kawasaki's by any chance?
Speak to you later,
Dave

PS: I'm also foreign, South African, been here going on 4 years. You'll love it here, great roads for riding. (Oh, lots of work and all the other stuff)

SPORK
1st October 2004, 01:40
Holy crap, jrandom, you aren't meant to scare them away! Sheesh! It's the Welsh we are meant to burn anyway! Some people...

Sorry, any welsh people, I love you deep down :D

Mr Skid
1st October 2004, 02:22
Kia Ora ProX,

Oh, when you move over here, make sure you move to Wellington, we need more local members :2thumbsup

SC's right, Wellington is cool.
Just make sure you don't take a wrong turn else you'll end up in Auckland. And you don't want to find youself here.

Sheesh! It's the Welsh we are meant to burn anyway! Some people...

Hey, better watch ya self there missy! :mad::moon:

babyB
1st October 2004, 02:49
hi ya and welcome .good to c ya here

ProX
1st October 2004, 03:51
Wow, such a nice welcome.

Are we supposed to say it "Pro ecks" or "Procks"?
That would be Procks. I usually use the forum name of ProXimaCore but I just shortened it for once.

So what's the deal with Auckland/Wellington? I really don't know where I want to go yet. I'm guessing all the great biking roads are down on the south island. But Job wise I think I really need to look into going to one of the main cities. I work with computers. So I'm assuming a city location would probably be best.

A couple of questions about biking in new zealand:

What's the law against sports exhausts. They're not allowed over here but every biker has one.

What about dark visors. My current visor is 82% tint. They are illegal but I've not had any bother with police for it so far.

Also, what's the deal with insurance. I heard somewhere that it's not essential that you actually need insurance on the road in New Zealand. Is that true? Sounds a bit scary if you ask me.

LB
1st October 2004, 05:56
Hi ProX, welcome to KiwiBiker!!

I'll give my opinion on your questions, but am happy to be corrected if I get things stuffed up!

Exhausts: as yet no law against aftermarket pipes. There was some talk about this a while ago (there's a thread about it somewhere) but at this stage not illegal. A lot of us have them.

Visors: not illegal to use dark or mirror visors. Once again, a lot of us use them.

Insurance: not compulsory (though IMHO at least third party is essential). Quite a lot of guys run with no insurance.

Auck/Wgtn: a bit of friendly rivalry goes on here, but really, we all KNOW that Wellington is better!

You're quite right that the South Island has wonderful roads, great grippy surfaces, snow-capped mountains, much less traffic than the North Island, and far less cops. However, having said that, there's some great NI roads also.

Keep us posted!!!

jazbug5
1st October 2004, 06:58
Come to Wellington! Come to Wellington!:banana:

This is a great town; been here myself for three months, and the people couldn't have been more welcoming. The KBers here are a fantastic bunch of people, the Rumatakas (hill with twisty roads) are just up the road, and if you want to go check out the South Island, you just have to hop on the ferry!
* Oh, and we need more recruits for the growing tartan mafia so we can work on our evil takeover plot... mwa ha ha haa.. shhh. Don't tell anyone... *

ching_ching
1st October 2004, 07:05
Ullo en,

Welcome.

If you pass thru my neck of the woods we should go for a ride.

"I'll take the high road and you'll take the low and I be in Taarpaw befooorrreeee ye!

:wacko:

ching

Fryin Finn
1st October 2004, 08:04
I was in Scotland 2 weeks ago - didn't see any Gixxer 400's otherwise I would have said hullo.
Welcome to the madness that is Kiwibiker :cool2:

riffer
1st October 2004, 08:17
Hallo ProX.

The place is full of scots and those of scots extraction once removed (like meself).

Anywhere you want to live here is good. The country's small enough.

Lots of jobs in Auckland but lousy traffic.

The government and governmental infrastructure are in Welly, lots of IT jobs but theres a lot of competition. Be prepared to be up again people with lots of qualifications being willing to work for less than what you want to. :bash:

NZ is a mostly harmless little country that seems to be happy to take on just about any types. You'll find lots of good riding within a half to one hours riding. Our best roads are a bit like your worst A roads. Most of the roads we like to ride on are like your B roads, sometimes degenerating to a country lane or a main thoroughfare for cattle and sheep farmers.

I'm sure you'll love it. Look forward to hearing more from you. :yes:

Pwalo
1st October 2004, 08:48
And it's got to be warmer than Scotland, and we don't salt the roads in winter.

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself wherever you decide to settle. Oh and welcome to the site. As has been said there are plenty of people of Scots descent in NZ so you'll blend in well.

Lots and lots of bikes as well!!

vifferman
1st October 2004, 09:03
So what's the deal with Auckland/Wellington? I really don't know where I want to go yet. I'm guessing all the great biking roads are down on the south island. But Job wise I think I really need to look into going to one of the main cities. I work with computers. So I'm assuming a city location would probably be best.You need to go to Dunedin - the second Edinburgh. Should be cold enough for you there, and there are sheeps aplenty, in the surrounding countryside.

What's the law against sports exhausts. They're not allowed over here but every biker has one.They're still feckin about wid the laws. Curently, it states summat like "Must not be significantly louder than standard fitment", but it depends who does your six-monthly WOF (like the MOT).

Oh yeah - and Welcome, Mr ProX!!:spudwave:

jrandom
1st October 2004, 09:33
Sorry, any welsh people, I love you deep down

I was going to make a sad little joke about deep-down lovin' and Welsh sheep, but I think I'll abstain this time.

Ms Piggy
1st October 2004, 09:49
Welcome along ProX :spudwave: Definitely come to Wellington. And you've definitely come to the right place for asking questions. :2thumbsup

Why New Zealand anyway?

wari
1st October 2004, 09:51
HErres your welcommin' party ... ==> :moon::moon::moon::moon::moon::moon:

NOw your turne ... :yeah:

ProX
1st October 2004, 12:37
Why New Zealand anyway?
Not exactly sure what draws me to New Zealand. It's appealed to me ever since I was a kid. Not to mention it's as far away from the UK as I can get.

Looks like a lot of good words going in for Wellington. I always just assumed Auckland would be the place I went. Might have to reconsider that now. Saying that Auckland is bad for traffic, isn't that the great thing about bikes that you can filter past everyone? I've also heard you're all crazy drivers over there.

I noticed the new zealand ebay site isn't very good. There's not much content on it. I use it over here for nearly everything I buy. It's especially good for getting parts for my 14 year old bike. Is there something equivalent you guys use instead?

Thanks again for the warm welcome. Must get to bed. It's probably lunch time where you guys are just now.

riffer
1st October 2004, 12:55
Saying that Auckland is bad for traffic, isn't that the great thing about bikes that you can filter past everyone? I've also heard you're all crazy drivers over there.
Yes you can filter past traffic here. No, it's not legal here. And yes, drivers (cagers) are homicidal maniacs. Especially in Auckland

I noticed the new zealand ebay site isn't very good. There's not much content on it. I use it over here for nearly everything I buy. It's especially good for getting parts for my 14 year old bike. Is there something equivalent you guys use instead?
Yes. www.trademe.co.nz

Thanks again for the warm welcome. Must get to bed. It's probably lunch time where you guys are just now.
Yup. 5 minutes to 1. Until tomorrow when daylight savings starts. Then we are 13 hours ahead of you (and ten years behind ;) )

Ghost Lemur
1st October 2004, 12:58
We has Trade Me (http://www.trademe.co.nz) not as large as Ebay, but more popular locally.

Chances are though if you're bike is slightly rare you'll do as most do and grab parts from overseas, which still ends up being cheaper.

magnum
2nd October 2004, 22:50
hi and welcome,gotta love those kawasakis. :spudwave:

Her_C4
2nd October 2004, 23:11
You're quite right that the South Island has wonderful roads, great grippy surfaces, snow-capped mountains, much less traffic than the North Island, and far less cops.

Ahhhhh the mainland..... and of course Christchurch beats Wellington and Auckland any day...... :eek:

But wherever you end up - welcome to this site - and indeed to NZ when you get here.. we are a pretty cool bunch really!! :cool2:

The Pastor
7th October 2004, 09:57
Yeah scot's are cool. I plan to live there later on.

AUCKLAND is much better to live in, beisides Nz is small enough to ride anyware you want really.

jazbug5
7th October 2004, 10:47
Renegade,

I think you should change your name to 'Dr. Frankenstein.'
* "Give this thread Liiiiife.. mwa ha ha ha..!" *

:devil2:

2_SL0
7th October 2004, 11:27
hIHO, I havent been here long (KB) but your correct , people are friendly and helpful. Even when you ask a question that they have prob heard hundreds of times.
Just out of interest, I thought I would get my order in early for some English Sweeties. 1 packet of Penguins, As many packets as you can carry of Wine Gums. 20 packets of Foxes Glacier mints. I think that will do. :lol:

Look If you just dedicate one bag to JB's Sweetie fund that be fine. :2thumbsup

Redstar
7th October 2004, 23:21
Och man beware the southern man. New Zealand is like UK Diverse come to Auckland its the centre of the universe

ProX
7th October 2004, 23:30
hIHO, I havent been here long (KB) but your correct , people are friendly and helpful. Even when you ask a question that they have prob heard hundreds of times.
Just out of interest, I thought I would get my order in early for some English Sweeties. 1 packet of Penguins, As many packets as you can carry of Wine Gums. 20 packets of Foxes Glacier mints. I think that will do. :lol:

Look If you just dedicate one bag to JB's Sweetie fund that be fine. :2thumbsup
:p I've taken a note mate!

Och, so much choice where to move to. I guess the best thing to do would be to just turn up and take a few weeks exploring. I'm not one for planning things anyway. :)

NC
8th October 2004, 05:05
Hiya :)

Yerp, I agree with em, move to Wellywood. Auckland is shit, even though I lived there for 20 years of my life. But Alas it is home :(

Or come to The Mount, it's nice here. It's like New Zealands answer to Florida. And I'm sure they have IT here too :killingme And they have mean roads around here. Lots of twistie bits.

Cajun
8th October 2004, 12:03
Hiya :)

Yerp, I agree with em, move to Wellywood. Auckland is shit, even though I lived there for 20 years of my life. But Alas it is home :(

Or come to The Mount, it's nice here. It's like New Zealands answer to Florida. And I'm sure they have IT here too :killingme And they have mean roads around here. Lots of twistie bits.

I am in IT remember dc:<
i work for one of tauranga largest business in the IT area

Hitcher
8th October 2004, 12:55
the Rimutakas (hill with twisty roads) are just up the road
The Rimutakas are one of only two roads out of Dodge, if you are priviledged to live in Wellington. They are a nice technical ride and the main reason why Wellingtonians are better riders than Aucklanders...

vifferman
8th October 2004, 13:21
The Rimutakas are one of only two roads out of Dodge, if you are priviledged to live in Wellington. They are a nice technical ride and the main reason why Wellingtonians are better riders than Aucklanders...... and a secondary one being that D'Aucklanders learn very bad habits driving/riding around D'Auckland, like:

Following too close
Failure to indicate abrupt and unpredictable vehicle manoeuvres
Exceeding the posted speed limit
Treating red traffic lights and stop signs as invitations to slow down a bit (if they feel like it)
Ignoring "Give Way" signs and all other signs completely
Trying to park within 5 metres of their destination, even if it's the gym :crazy:
Making up their own set of road rules
Driving while simultaneously eating breakfast, reading the paper, applying makeup, shaving, talking on the cellphone, and doing the housework.
Note that this is a short and by no means exhaustive list, and can be summarised in one word: EXPEDIENCY (= "I want to go wherever I want, when I want, and nothing or nobody is going to hinder me in this mission, so Get the Hell Outta My Way, Dumbass!")

badlieutenant
8th October 2004, 15:57
... and a secondary one being that D'Aucklanders learn very bad habits driving/riding around D'Auckland, like:

Following too close
Failure to indicate abrupt and unpredictable vehicle manoeuvres
Exceeding the posted speed limit
Treating red traffic lights and stop signs as invitations to slow down a bit (if they feel like it)
Ignoring "Give Way" signs and all other signs completely
Trying to park within 5 metres of their destination, even if it's the gym :crazy:
Making up their own set of road rules
Driving while simultaneously eating breakfast, reading the paper, applying makeup, shaving, talking on the cellphone, and doing the housework.
Note that this is a short and by no means exhaustive list, and can be summarised in one word: EXPEDIENCY (= "I want to go wherever I want, when I want, and nothing or nobody is going to hinder me in this mission, so Get the Hell Outta My Way, Dumbass!")

wouldnt the above reasons make auckland bike riders better ? You know, people actively trying to kill you sharpens your reflexes and all that.
When riding in welly have you guys down there memorized the location of all the steel man hole lids for when riding in wet weather ? And I understand that bike riders from welly, after a good windy winter, make good pilots as thier appreciation of aerodynamics is improved. Beware wind sheer. D

Bazza
8th October 2004, 18:25
The Rimutakas are one of only two roads out of Dodge, if you are priviledged to live in Wellington. They are a nice technical ride and the main reason why Wellingtonians are better riders than Aucklanders...

Paekakariki hill is another good ride...and round the bays round wellington...

NC
8th October 2004, 18:48
I am in IT remember dc:<
i work for one of tauranga largest business in the IT area

See, I knew there was :killingme

2_SL0
10th October 2004, 07:43
Just me for the English lollies, excellent all the more room in the bag for the Judderbar Sweetie Collection.

tinkabell
20th October 2004, 14:06
Do you like going to the beach? Up here in the Winterless North :confused2 we are surrounded by beautiful beaches, with beautiful babes, (I know, my husband keeps pointing them out :o ) with roads that arent too bad to get to where you want to go. I have a sneaking susspission, no matter where you end up, if you ride a bike, especially a GSXR, you will find good friends. :ride:

scumdog
20th October 2004, 22:22
Hello everyone. This looks like a good place to be.

I'm currently living in Scotland, but planning a move to New Zealand next year some time. I currently ride a GSXR400R (gk76a). I plan on getting the newer ZX6R when I get over there. In nice shiney green!

I've got plenty of questions to ask you guys, so I'll see you all about the forum I'm sure. :)

Welome to our gargre (official site spelling of garage), they're bigotted, biased uneducated and gov't nuts, and that's the guid-yins!!

From Glasgow m'self (Maryhill) but a long time since. Come doon this end o' the country, they call Dunedin the Embruh of the Sooth :2thumbsup

jazbug5
21st October 2004, 06:18
Scumdog!

I had no idea you were a fellow Scot; now I know where your twisted, rapier-like wit comes from. Although I'm not sure what everyone elses' excuse is....
:spudwave:

PS Now, calling Dunedin the *spit* Edinburgh of the South will only put any Scots not from Edinburgh off. Shame on you, weejie-man!

scumdog
21st October 2004, 20:39
Scumdog!

I had no idea you were a fellow Scot; now I know where your twisted, rapier-like wit comes from. Although I'm not sure what everyone elses' excuse is....
:spudwave:

PS Now, calling Dunedin the *spit* Edinburgh of the South will only put any Scots not from Edinburgh off. Shame on you, weejie-man!

Yup, Scots as, and nothing worn under the kilt! Good to see you noted the 'twisted' part of my mind, it's the most important of my mind!!!

Och, I wus ony quot'n whit they say on thin fancy broshurs!! (about the Edinburgh thing)

Timetogo
21st October 2004, 21:44
well, seems this is my first post on this list and there is a discussion about scots :niceone:
I currently live in Edinburgh but will be in NZ this time next month, though i must admit i'm a returning kiwi. Bringing my bike to, the value is currently dropping through the floor coming into winter so i opted for shipping it back, its in a box on a boat as we speak :cool2:

Firefight
24th October 2004, 07:10
aye welcome fellow Scot, this is a great site, few dopey buggers who still refer to some place called the ""UK""from time to time :crazy: . Buggered if I know where that is..

Wellington or South Island great places, Auckland is a shit hole..

Pm if you need any help on arrival.

Firefight..

Scotland a Free state !!

inlinefour
27th January 2005, 23:48
Welcome and enjoy :banana: