PDA

View Full Version : Practice pays off

howdamnhard
14th August 2007, 00:39
Coming home from work last night along Boundary Rd,in the dark and wet got an unwelcome surprise.An oncoming people mover cage signals to turn right into Othello rd.Cage slows to stop waits until I'm almost on top of him then proceeds to turn right in front of me,WTF:gob:.Hit the picks,to bleed off speed see cage looming up like wall,think this is going to hurt.Feel the back lock up in the wet,not going to stop in time,release brakes countersteer hard right miss cage by less than 1 metre.Phew,not quite sure how but survived,put it down to practice as there wasn't really enough time to think,only time to react.So thanks to the guys at RideSafeRideRight and the Wednesday training nights.:yes:.Also glad I was riding according to conditions any faster and the outcome would have been different.I have found in the (in the cage) past braking and then releasing to steer around a good method of avoiding a collision espicially if one cannot stop in time .:shit:

Zapf
14th August 2007, 01:24
well done. And :niceone: to the guys / gals at RRRS!

skidMark
14th August 2007, 01:30
well done mate, most would not have been able to not lay it down....most people panic...and we all know gn's dont exactly stop quick

well done :rockon:

Good job eh.

and we all know gn's dont exactly stop quick

Well they don't go that fast in the first place, so less speed to bleed off :D

mbazza
19th August 2007, 20:17
Congratulations, I hope you get a chance to thank your teachers and tell them about putting what you learnt into practise. Well done that rider!Cheers. :Punk:

steveb64
23rd October 2007, 00:02
I have found in the (in the cage) past braking and then releasing to steer around a good method of avoiding a collision espicially if one cannot stop in time .:shit:

Same if there's a big bump (pothole OR lump) coming up. Brake (front) as hard as you can coming up to it - then release the front brakes, and give it some gas! ...and watch out for the front coming up in the air...:devil2: Well - it might - but the idea is to unload your front suspension as much as possible BEFORE the big hit...

Of course - this only works if you see the bump coming in the first place...

howdamnhard
23rd October 2007, 00:06
yip that works to,great for getting the front wheel out of a rut it's stuck in too.

Same if there's a big bump (pothole OR lump) coming up. Brake (front) as hard as you can coming up to it - then release the front brakes, and give it some gas! ...and watch out for the front coming up in the air...:devil2: Well - it might - but the idea is to unload your front suspension as much as possible BEFORE the big hit...

Of course - this only works if you see the bump coming in the first place...

skidMark
23rd October 2007, 02:05
front coming up in the air...it's a gn250 buddy.... lol

i spose i better goto bed..try and get sum sleep...way too much on mind right now....:yawn::yawn::yawn::zzzz::zzzz::zzzz:

Ragingrob
23rd October 2007, 07:00
Did you stop the cager and have a word at all? Did they even realise??!!

Machiavelli
24th October 2007, 00:14

Hey, are you mocking the mighty ginny? :spanking:

Thank goodness a combination of the ginny's powerful brakes and unparalleled steering overcame another dangerous encounter with an Evil Cager. ;)

All other lesser bikes, like ZXRs or VFRs, might not have been so lucky! :bleh:

howdamnhard
24th October 2007, 00:25
Started to give chase but I was on reserve already looking for a gas station and they were a fair way down:mad: the road heading into the centre of Otara,so thought the better of it and went and got the petrol.They probably realised their error of judgement at the last moment but didn't bother to stop and apologise.

Did you stop the cager and have a word at all? Did they even realise??!!

howdamnhard
24th October 2007, 00:28
It was on an IT 465(I think) dirt bike that I had a front wheel get stuck in a rut ,opening up the throttle lifted the front out .

i spose i better goto bed..try and get sum sleep...way too much on mind right now....:yawn::yawn::yawn::zzzz::zzzz::zzzz:

steveb64
24th October 2007, 08:24
It was on an IT 465(I think) dirt bike that I had a front wheel get stuck in a rut ,opening up the throttle lifted the front out .

Yeah - I had one of those too - opening the throttle in pretty much ANY situation lifted the front end... ...in the first three gears... Or turned it into a wheelspinning, tankslapping monster which then spat you off...