PDA

View Full Version : AG200 fuel tank rusted out

SPORK
1st October 2004, 01:47
Hey, after taking it for a blat around today, I noticed that the ol' AG was dripping petrol out the tank! It seems that the previous owner had let it rust a bit, and it just broke through. After dismantling the bike and draining the tank, it was discovered that a 2 cm strip had been rusted and a couple of VERY little hoels had appeared. After screwing up the main hole with a bolt with rubber washers, we thought we were victorious, instead, it just found a new place to leak from. :buggerd:

Anyone know what to do?

Or anyone know how much a nice replacement tank would cost?

Cheers, Nick

What?
1st October 2004, 06:27
Yup - get on to NZ Farm & Trail in Te Awamutu. They are in the yellow pages.

vifferman
1st October 2004, 07:46
I'm too pharkin tired and grumpy to answer this, but there's been a t least one recent thread on fixing rusty gastanks. Why don't you look for it?:spudwhat: Use you interweb skills, and search this here pharkin phorum.:cool2:

kerryg
1st October 2004, 10:32
Hey, after taking it for a blat around today, I noticed that the ol' AG was dripping petrol out the tank! It seems that the previous owner had let it rust a bit, and it just broke through. After dismantling the bike and draining the tank, it was discovered that a 2 cm strip had been rusted and a couple of VERY little hoels had appeared. After screwing up the main hole with a bolt with rubber washers, we thought we were victorious, instead, it just found a new place to leak from. :buggerd:

Anyone know what to do?

Or anyone know how much a nice replacement tank would cost?

Cheers, Nick

Like the grumpy one said :not: ..but so as not to be TOTALLY misanthropic AND unhelpful:msn-wink: contact your local bike shop and buy a Kreem kit or your local car paint place and a get them to get in a POR-15 motorcycle tank kit....and follow the instructions. Set you back around $70-80 in both cases.

If your tank is really rusty inside you might need to throw in a handful of nuts and bolts or gravel or a length of chain or something similar and give it a bloody good shaking for a while before the afore-mentioned treatments and bigger holes will need patching (the POR-15 kit includes patching materials I'm reasonably sure or there's geat epoxy product called Knead It [Steel]at your local hardware)

vifferman
1st October 2004, 10:45
Like the grumpy one said :not: ..but so as not to be TOTALLY misanthropic AND unhelpful:msn-wink: contact your local bike shop and buy a Kreem kit or your local car paint place and a get them to get in a POR-15 motorcycle tank kit....and follow the instructions. Set you back around $70-80 in both cases.

If your tank is really rusty inside you might need to throw in a handful of nuts and bolts or gravel or a length of chain or something similar and give it a bloody good shaking for a while before the afore-mentioned treatments and bigger holes will need patching (the POR-15 kit includes patching materials I'm reasonably sure or there's geat epoxy product called Knead It [Steel]at your local hardware)Yeah, what the non-grumpy one said. 'Cept I don't think the "in a handful of nuts and bolts or gravel or a length of chain or something similar" actually works that well (despite / because of trying it meself) as it's not going to get into contact with all the bits that need it. Bead blasting would be betterer...
But if it makes you feel better, do it.
The Kreem is OK, but the tank coat part of it is a bit viscous, so difficult to get to cover all the inner bits, so that's were POR15 is more betterer.
Have fun. :wacko:

Velox
2nd October 2004, 12:14
Ah - the good old Ag eh?! I learnt to ride on an old Ag100 - it really was a high performance machine! They're great to thrash around though eh?

SPORK
2nd October 2004, 12:37
Thanks for the advice. Not too sure about all that fixxing lark, I will check the prices on a new tank. Apart from that, the bike is in great condition. I think that all the repair needed justifies a new tank.

And Velox, I love the AG! You can throw it down a hill (not that I have) and it is still all good! Ahh, good times :P

gpercivl
27th October 2004, 14:38
Thanks for the advice. Not too sure about all that fixxing lark, I will check the prices on a new tank. Apart from that, the bike is in great condition. I think that all the repair needed justifies a new tank.

And Velox, I love the AG! You can throw it down a hill (not that I have) and it is still all good! Ahh, good times :P

Hey Madcat, did you find a tank? I think I have a spare down in our 'ol farm shed that I could dig out if you still need one??