PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best 250?

Coyote
1st October 2004, 18:37
I'm looking for a little 250 4 stroke for my next bike. I was wondering what bikes I should consider getting. I was told I should look out for the FZR250, ZXR250 and the CBR250RR, but I need to know whether they are any good or not. Any info on these bikes, or any other bikes worth looking out for?

Marmoot
1st October 2004, 18:44
nothing can go wrong with a good CBR250RR.
Have seen one beat an R1 before in a good twisty.
Honda should remake it instead of discontinuing it

Storm
1st October 2004, 18:53
Get down to your friendly dealers and bludge a ride on as many examples as you can to get a feel for each and what suits you

Slingshot
1st October 2004, 19:04
Get down to your friendly dealers and bludge a ride on as many examples as you can to get a feel for each and what suits you

But don't buy off a dealer...most 250s from the late '80s will sell between $5-$6K through a dealer.

IMHO the very best 250 is the GSXR250RR (see sig). :Punk:

Marknz
1st October 2004, 19:07
Don't discount the VTR250!

SPORK
1st October 2004, 19:09
But don't buy off a dealer...most 250s from the late '80s will sell between $5-$6K through a dealer.

IMHO the very best 250 is the GSXR250RR (see sig). :Punk:
Of course! And before it was a SBR250R, right? :P Funny that! :D

Slingshot
1st October 2004, 19:18
Of course! And before it was a SBR250R, right? :P Funny that! :D

Call me stupid...but I'm not sure what you mean by SBR.

Slingshot
1st October 2004, 19:20
Call me stupid...but I'm not sure what you mean by SBR.

Actually, think I just figured it out...are you talking about the CBR250 I had for sale?

If so, that was my wife's, sold it yesterday. I much preferred the GSX over the CBR, the GSX took a bit to get it running right but now that it is it's sweet.

SPORK
1st October 2004, 20:01
Yeah, I'm thinking avout getting a GSXR250 Across, they look cool.

Firefight
1st October 2004, 20:03
nothing can go wrong with a good CBR250RR.
Honda should remake it instead of discontinuing it

Was that Andy1s bike MM ?

F/F :wacko:

Two Smoker
1st October 2004, 21:10
Was that Andy1s bike MM ?

F/F :wacko:
LOL, sounds like Andy vs Vladi to me........

pipeman
1st October 2004, 22:39
4 stroke 250, sorry but I think you should look at the big picture and take those's blinkers off and try those 2 stocks. Beleave me your have more fun and get bigger BALLS at the same time.

and become a real motorcyclist :niceone:

Wenier
1st October 2004, 22:49
you can go jus as fast on a 4stroke round twisties as a 2 stroke really, not gonna make much difference in ball size. i had a ZXR250 and loved it, but as someone said go ride them at the dealers to see wut u like, and buy privately if ya can.

pipeman
1st October 2004, 23:05
you can go jus as fast on a 4stroke round twisties as a 2 stroke really, not gonna make much difference in ball size. i had a ZXR250 and loved it, but as someone said go ride them at the dealers to see wut u like, and buy privately if ya can.

YEH rit mate 2 stoke is where it at don't listen to the weety f**Ker

SPORK
2nd October 2004, 00:13
YEH rit mate 2 stoke is where it at don't listen to the weety f**Ker
Yep, with this quality of posting you will be right up there with bondage bunny and The One. Please, can we stop with teh stupid Rarrr-ing and just post some usefull info!?

StoneChucker
2nd October 2004, 01:08
Are you TRYING to give me a stroke :msn-wink:
That R1 rider you saw won't be trying to ride backwards again :blah:

Mate, I had an '87 Honda CBR250, and the only reason I sold it was I was upgrading in cc size. Great bikes, heaps of fun. But test ride as they say, and whatever you get, I'm sure you'll have a great time. (It's hard not to on bikes)

Let us know what you get, and how you find it

Dave.

Coyote
2nd October 2004, 10:26
Idealy I'll be getting a KX500 and be doing the race to the sky down south, but theres not much chance of me getting to do that. Anyway I need a bike for my upcoming motorcycle licence and I want to race in the streetstock class at manfeild, and I was told get a 4 cylinder inline 250 4 stroke instead of the standard 150, so thats why I'm looking out for a bike like the FZR or the CBR. I was also told to get a GSX250S Katana is they are pretty fast. Anyway the 250's are far cooler than the 150. The 150's are piddly wee things.
Pity I can't get a RS250, or mount some sythes on the side, so I can run down homies:devil2:

Coyote
2nd October 2004, 10:29
Yeah, I'm thinking avout getting a GSXR250 Across, they look cool.
I was told the GSXR250 was crap, and the GSX250 is the one to look out for.

toads
2nd October 2004, 10:39
hi there, my son has a honda cbr 250 rr for sale, it's a 1992 and it's rego is about to expire on the 16th, he hasn't got a job or nay income and doesn't appear to be in any hurry to get one either so his bike is for sale, he wants 2k for it if you are interested

Coyote
2nd October 2004, 10:45
hi there, my son has a honda cbr 250 rr for sale, it's a 1992 and it's rego is about to expire on the 16th, he hasn't got a job or nay income and doesn't appear to be in any hurry to get one either so his bike is for sale, he wants 2k for it if you are interested
Got a pic of it? Also how many km has it got on the clock?

toads
2nd October 2004, 10:54

Hi , No idea what the kms are, and I haven't got any pics of it as yet, he boards in town and that's where it is currently, I'll see if he will get his act together sometime during the week and bring it home to take some pictures of it and I'll ask jim what the km's are, it's has been binned at some stage, before he got it and whoever owned it previously never got around to getting it fixed up and on the road again, it had a broken indicator, bald tyre etc, it has some faring damage, but it's not too bad, and a dent in the tank, it's red blue and white. engine runs well, and it has two good tyres, current wof, and new brake linings and fork seals, these were done as maintanence jobs because it's a hassle for us as parents to be running around sorting his bike problems from a distance.

Velox
2nd October 2004, 11:53
My mate's selling a black '88 GSXR250 for about $2.5k ono. He's in Wainui (but yes - it's all legal!)

(Forgot to add: But of course the Honda Jade250 is the only way to go for a 4 stroke 250! In extremely high demand though - I might trade mine in in a year or so as half the deposit on a new ApriliaRSV, so it might be worth waiting till then eh?!! :msn-wink: :laugh: )

MrMelon
2nd October 2004, 12:08
RSV eh? :p

I think it's all down to personal perference. You'll be able to ride any of the 4 stroke 250's as hard as most of the bigger bikes in the twisties. Just take a bunch for rides till you find something you think you'll enjoy for at least a year.

2 strokes are wicked fun though. You can generally buy them cheaper than 4's, but the running and maintenacnce costs are a bit higher.

Coyote
2nd October 2004, 14:53
I was hopefully going to get into streetstock racing at manfeild, and now they allow 4 stroke 250s into the class. I was wondering what is best between 2 stroke 150 or the 4 stroke 250?

toads
2nd October 2004, 14:56

Right, I phoned him and he said it has 52,000kms on the clock, I'm not sure if that's a high mileage or not,

toads
2nd October 2004, 15:00
also I want to add, that it has a current wof, and his reason for selling it it only because he doesn't have any money to register it , he lost his after school job some months ago and will probably go back to school next year, he initially thought he'd use it as transport to and from work, but he doesn't have a job now, and we ( the big meanies) aren't going to pay for his running expenses.

Two Smoker
2nd October 2004, 16:09
I was hopefully going to get into streetstock racing at manfeild, and now they allow 4 stroke 250s into the class. I was wondering what is best between 2 stroke 150 or the 4 stroke 250?
Well that depends.... the 150 Two Strokes are quicker in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, but the four stroke 250's have better top end..... In cornering i would say that the 150 is better untill ground clearance becomes a problem....

Ofcourse on Pukekohe 150's are slower than the 250 four strokes.... But at taupo, its the other way around...

Nicko started out racing on an RG150..... now look how bloody fast he is....

Any other questions?????

Coyote
2nd October 2004, 16:34
Any other questions?????
As a matter of fact there is. What about Manfeild, what bike would perform better there. I assume it would be the 250 right?

Wenier
4th October 2004, 19:22
You should b lookin for a GSXR250 not the GSX250. The GSX is actually a bit slower from my experience with em. At manfield i have no idea but you can get round there pretty well on a 250. The straights are where the 250 will b faster than the 150 but round the corners is gonna depend on how game you are. Hope that helps and you get into your racing.

Coyote
4th October 2004, 19:26
Now I gotta find a cheap 250. Won't care to much about condition, so long as it will last me for a few years of racing. Hopefully I can find one for $2000. Probebly have to go higher.