PDA

View Full Version : gisborne roads

badlieutenant
1st October 2004, 22:03
OK tomorrow Im off to gisborn to catch up with some family. What i was kinda wondering was if any KB'rs had been thru there recently and could pass on some local knowledge regarding surface conditions etc.
Oh and if anyone else is keen to do even some of the ride your more than welcome to join me.

toads
1st October 2004, 22:28
OK tomorrow Im off to gisborn to catch up with some family. What i was kinda wondering was if any KB'rs had been thru there recently and could pass on some local knowledge regarding surface conditions etc.
Oh and if anyone else is keen to do even some of the ride your more than welcome to join me.

Hello there, I went through to hamilton a couple of weeks ago and the roads weren't too bad, but you need to realise I live in Gisborne and our roads are very "interesting", the road metal used here is particularly poor quality and the roads around these parts tend to be potholey and make for interesting riding, as in dodging the holes and wierd subsidences, that said, the roads from hamilton to the waioeka gorge were really good, hardly any road works really considering the floding in the BOP, cheers Lucy

badlieutenant
1st October 2004, 22:35
cheers for that and noted. I shall proceed with due caution. Hate hitting potholes and hate it when they leave just a little bit of gravel on the corners. Ill treat it like the northland roads.

pipeman
1st October 2004, 22:59
Gorge is good just watch out for cops coming down from matawai and onto the flats what time your planning to hit opoiti?

badlieutenant
1st October 2004, 23:07
Gorge is good just watch out for cops coming down from matawai and onto the flats what time your planning to hit opoiti?
hehe I dont even know where that is :D buying a map tomorrow. Planning on leaving north shore about 7-8ish then quick blip to mates house out waio pa and back roads to hamiltron then......... fuked if I know :D :shit:

pipeman
1st October 2004, 23:16
so thats about 1 ish or to 2 ish mite be there
don't tell me your bike is RED. :yeah:

badlieutenant
1st October 2004, 23:42
blue almost like the blackbird or zzr's but way way earlier. slightly loud-ish, dunno really might be me been a bit paranoid but I like listening to it. oh ill be wearing black with black and some black (not leather) and my plate is black........oh dirty white rims, buggered if im gona clean them any time soon. sick of it. im gona get black rims too !
anyhow :D Ill keep an eye for a red ? rf900 and will do the special secret KB'r handwave thingy :D

badlieutenant
3rd October 2004, 19:30
well. that was a massive ride. cant beleive Ive never gone to gisborne before!!. that gorge!!!! awesome, and i suspect i was lucky as I saw only a handfull of cars all the way from opotiki. How long is that road ?? 40kms ? saw 1 HP and he was turning around away from the gorge, I imagine it gets boring in a car.
Only bummer was the rain. It started just as I got towards the end of the gorge and introduced a little bit of concern as it was fairly slippery. Got up this morning and the rain was easing so that the roads were dry by the time I got going. And another awesome ride back!! cheers people for the advice in regards to road conditions. I see what toads meant by "interesting" surfaces. I can only imagine what back roads you guys have out there.............I was tempted to go have a look.
oh btw pipeman were you in opotiki around 2 on sunday?? I did go past a rf as he turned off the main road behind a car.
You guys are so lucky. I really noticed the trafic coming back this time. Its just too damn busy these days, too many idiots in cages. Oh and what is with holden drivers making a point about accelerating away from me? I wasnt even accelerating myself untill we were out of the 50k zone. And Im so immature myself that I nailed it past him then settled back to legal speed. And then eveytime he came close (he was thrashing his car trying to catch up) Id just put some distance between us. He was a darwinian contender for sure. :baby: :baby:

No bins from this KB'r :D

toads
3rd October 2004, 20:38
hi the BL, glad you had an awesome ride to and from Gisborne, next time you're down stop in and pay us a visit, we are a 15 minute detour off the main road to opotiki, 1/2 hour from Gisborne. Yes our road surfaces between our place and state highway 2 are very interesting and never the same 2 days in a row, just massive for riding on, and each little excursion seems like an adventure, yes the gorge road is wonderful aye, the rocks can fall at any time though, I know of a few cages that have had boulders land on them while going thru there, I hate to think what it would be like having one hit ya on a bike.

badlieutenant
3rd October 2004, 21:20
I suddenly feel a chill.....................I didnt even think about that. I dont think my helmet is boulder rated either.
Next time Im out that way, which is hopefully soon, Ill make certain I pop out your way. If your keen on a ride yourself aybe you could show a stranger the less beaten track? :D Im also guessing that theres some nice roads out the opotiki side of the hill.

scroter
4th October 2004, 14:16
had bad, the gorge has a sign just outside of opotiki that says 52km and the twisty sign above it. fairly open twisty the start but then a great succsession of 35 and 45 corners all the way to matawai. i wish i read this last week as i would have joined ya. the east cape road is the other way from opotiki to gisborne, its twice as long, but its twisty all the way, an absolutley fantastic road. if you ever go back there let us know.

ahh living in a town where five minutes in any direction are the best bike roads, i think this would come a close second to winning lotto.

badlieutenant
4th October 2004, 17:10
had bad, the gorge has a sign just outside of opotiki that says 52km and the twisty sign above it. fairly open twisty the start but then a great succsession of 35 and 45 corners all the way to matawai. i wish i read this last week as i would have joined ya. the east cape road is the other way from opotiki to gisborne, its twice as long, but its twisty all the way, an absolutley fantastic road. if you ever go back there let us know.

ahh living in a town where five minutes in any direction are the best bike roads, i think this would come a close second to winning lotto.

LOL I some how missed the sign :D and loved the way it went from faster to tighter. I want to do the east cape trip as well, a few of my mates have raved about it.
Im jealous of anyone living there, I spyed a few off roads that looked promising and will buy a better map of the area next time.
Will most definitely let you know next time I go that way. Have you memorised all 52ks of corners ?I was sooo tempted just to turn around and go back........ :devil2:

toads
4th October 2004, 18:12
I've never ridden around opotiki, we live 35 minutes out of Gisborne, and cos of having kids, I only get day rides between the hours of 9-3, I've gone without a bike for the best part of 20 years and I am determined that I will only be in that position again when I am too old and infirm to get my leg over a bike.
The gorge road is awesome to ride through, haven't done it for 20 years, but I drive through quite a few times a year, the other most awesome roads to ride through is the rotorua lake road, which is just amazingly twisty and cool, but these days has heaps of trucks on it which kind of put me off it a bit. I can't wait to ride my bike through there sometime, as our younger kids get a bit older we will hopefully get more time to ride places a little further afield, but for now I have to content myself with whatever rides present themselves that are do-able

pipeman
4th October 2004, 20:27
happy that you enjoyed it give a buzz next time and i will make sure i'm not on call at work.