PDA

View Full Version : Action on Symonds St today (17 August)

boostin
17th August 2007, 18:42
Anyone know what happend outside the AU gym today, looked like a car might have taken out someone crossing the road....?

Filterer
17th August 2007, 19:01
A girl stepped out onto the road while texting apparently.

Did a superman and landed on her head when hit by a car driving down the rd - Went to hospital, she should be fine

One of the uni nurses was one car behind the one that hit her so quick attention was received

Moral of the story: Don't text and cross rds!

Squiggles
18th August 2007, 10:14
t'was only a matter of time :yes:

nzcanadian
18th August 2007, 13:18
Crossing Symonds is a pain; someone is killed there every year or so.

xwhatsit
18th August 2007, 13:38
Crossing Symonds is a pain; someone is killed there every year or so.

I've heard even higher numbers, like one a semester or so. I still can't bring myself to use the underpass though, lol -- and the crossing at the lights takes way too long. A couple of over-bridges would make all the difference. One underpass all the way down one end of uni isn't really all that useful.<hints id="hah_hints"></hints>

NighthawkNZ
18th August 2007, 13:49
A girl stepped out onto the road while texting apparently.

Moral of the story: Don't text and cross rds!

goes to show female can't really multi task

Filterer
18th August 2007, 13:57
goes to show female can't really multi task

:whistle::lol:

twinkle
18th August 2007, 15:47
One underpass all the way down one end of uni isn't really all that useful.<hints id="hah_hints"></hints>

:rofl: there are two... the underpass is almost underneath where the accident was.

xwhatsit
18th August 2007, 16:00
Oh yeah I forgot about that other one, by Kedger :innocent:

Still, neither are very convenient.

twinkle
18th August 2007, 16:05
nothing is as convenient as sprinting across the road :laugh:

bomma
19th August 2007, 15:50
if you ask me crossing symonds st isnt dangerous as long as you use even half your brain and an eye and LOOK BEFORE you step out.....

i dunno sounds like common sense to me......

klyong82
19th August 2007, 20:24
Sounds pretty stupid in my opinion. Agree with Bomma...... open your eyes look right left and then right again before crossing not txting or doing anything else. Someone studying at university level should be capable of knowing all this.

Look was she has caused? I think she should pay for damages to the car and trauma to the driver for her stupidity. I hope she does not get any money from ACC. I know I am been a little harsh here but this girl was not only putting herself in danger but potentially others too. Imagine if the driver took a sharp turn to avoid hitting her? Driver might have hit another car, pedestrian or crash into the gym injuring other innocent people.

xwhatsit
19th August 2007, 20:51
Someone studying at university level should be capable of knowing all this.

<hints id="hah_hints"></hints>Au contraire, my gay Honda friend! Back at secondary school we used to talk about somebody being `smart but dumb'. Academic intelligence is inversely proportional to every-day street smarts :yes:

bomma
19th August 2007, 21:48
<hints id="hah_hints"></hints>Au contraire, my gay Honda friend! Back at secondary school we used to talk about somebody being `smart but dumb'. Academic intelligence is inversely proportional to every-day street smarts :yes:

it doesnt take genius or street smarts to know that you need to check before stepping out onto the road....

even dumb people know this so there should be no exceptions or excuses.....

guess ignorance isnt as bliss as it was made out to be :mellow: :gob:

HungusMaximist
19th August 2007, 22:03
Ha Ha that comment, a Uni student should know better!

Literally thousands of people cross that piece of road everday, it was pretty much a matter of time somebody got tossed like a pancake.

I ride up Symond St everyday and the amount of stupid sh*t I see people doing while crossing the road is unbelieveable. If I had a dollar for every dumb sh*t that crosses Symond Street, I'll have enough dosh to start up a new 'cross the road safely' club.

I reckon the Uni or the city council at least should put some signs up for these blind students and maybe even look into getting some special school patrols like back in primary school.

The thing is, you get or shape and sizes of traffic on Symonds Street. From wee scooters to big massive buses and also the lunatics that speed up when they see you crossing the road.

It's not a suburban street and you better know it becaause sonner or later you're gonna get hit.

Ka Pish.

Folcan
19th August 2007, 23:15
They better not decide to turn symonds street into a ped mall and steal our parking again

Swoop
23rd August 2007, 18:03
`smart but dumb'. Academic intelligence is inversely proportional to every-day street smarts :yes:
Fuc*en right on that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As the BA said to the BSc "would you like fries with that?"

They better not decide to turn symonds street into a ped mall and steal our parking again
Even more parking for bikes then!

Jahdafario
23rd August 2007, 22:04
They need to toll cars coming down symonds street. I got a car, but I say fuck cars going down symonds street. Just nice slow buses, trucks and obviously service vehicles.

I'll get onto David Do, get him to try and implement this, for the 'welfare' of our students ;). but ssshhh, really, its for us motorbikes to have a street we can park and pull in and out of at 7/8/9/10/11/12/1/2/3/4/5/6 o'clock freely without having to wait for lines of traffic scaled the whole way up and down the street. Cos its getting worse, and I'm sick of ducking, dodging & waiting for cars and like above said, thick shit pedestrians who text and walk across roads.

rgds,

dan

bomma
23rd August 2007, 22:40
I'll get onto David Do,

whoa whoa dan you dont have to get onto anybody mate.....unless you really want to :niceone:

Chrislost
23rd August 2007, 22:48
doggy doo
ahahahaha
almost as bad as those hippys that were tryna be editor.
dam i wanna tie them to my bike and go for a ride