PDA

View Full Version : Where to start?

Drea
18th August 2007, 15:49
Hi everyone!

Hoping you can give me some advice and point me in the right direction..

I became bike mad after photographing and co-authoring the book about the flying kiwi team when they broke the land speed record a while back. A total novice I've only ever been the passenger, and why wait for a guy to come along with a bike..I want my own!

So here's my predicament, I have no bike and no one to teach me to ride, but I've got all the guts, determination and passion to do it - any ideas??

Drea

twinkle
18th August 2007, 16:02
Start by getting your riding certificate, then your learners license :yes:

Your local bike shop should be able to point you in the direction of someone you can do your riding certificate with (they teach you to ride a little bit at the same time... well enough to pass the certificate test anyway).

xwhatsit
18th August 2007, 16:03
More than a few members down in Christchurch, I'm sure somebody would be delighted to give you a go around a carpark. Once you get your own bike and you're up and running, all over the country we have mentors and beginner rides to help you build up confidence.

At any rate -- welcome :), there's heaps of great people to help you around here who'll teach you a lot. I know I've learned bucket-loads.

LardEmbargo
18th August 2007, 16:23
hiya - yeah like twinkle said. See if you can find out if there's someone local who runs the Basic Handling Skills thing. Up here in wellington you can do a full day - the morning's for total beginners and gets you a bit familiar with riding round in a carpark, and then the afternoon you practise the 6 (I think) things you need to demonstrate you can do to get a Basic Handling Skills certificate and take the test with the instructor. There's probably something similar near you.

Then wander down to LTNZ with your certificate and sit the scratchy test to get a learners licence.

After that you're free to visit bike shops and try some bikes out! make sure you find a bike that fits you and you feel comfortable on, as well as one that suits your bank account. Don't forget to save some cash for riding gear too, and be prepared to spend lots of time picking stuff that fits right.

enjoy yourself anyway, 2 wheels of freedom and so on :)

Oakie
18th August 2007, 17:41
What part of Christchurch are you in? There's KBers all over ChCh so I'm you'll find one nearby who could mentor you.

Bren
18th August 2007, 20:17
All I can say is welcome to KB Forums....and there are plenty of nutters down here alright....alas I aint one as I am bikeless too...but not for long:niceone:

Rashika
24th August 2007, 13:11
Welcome to Chch kb Drea! :banana:

plenty of good advise above, and theres lots of christchurch people around if you get stuck or need someone to suss out a bike for you

McJim
24th August 2007, 13:32
Move to Auckland - there are loads of people willing to tell you how to ride a bike.....some of them actually know how to ride a bike too! :rofl:

Seriously - look up the KB Mentors list for someone sensible in your area. I'm sure they'll guide you through the process.